User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 7 Jan 2006, 20:41   #1
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
[Football] Why the FA Cup is great

Luton 3 - Liverpool 5

An absolutely cracking and classic cup tie, I dont support either team but as a football fan this game was unbelievable, if you missed it try and watch what you can on MOTD, otherwise hardluck.

Other interesting games Mansfield outplayed newcastle but lost, huddersfield held chelsea for some time, boro drew and others, god i love the fa cup 3rd rnd

(btw alonsos two goals (fking hell)
Unread 7 Jan 2006, 20:44   #2
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: [Football] Why the FA Cup is great

There was a lot more "upsets" (generally in the form of draws though) than I can remember in recent years.

That Liverpool game though was just amazing. One of the best games I have seen in a while.
Unread 7 Jan 2006, 20:45   #3
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

It certainly isnt great because of Hull 0-1 Aston Villa which was one of the most dire games ive ever seen.

Liverpool game was amazing. Gerrard Alonso and Sinama played well, Kewell had good and bad moments. The rest of the pool team should be ashamed though. Especially Cisse, who is just ****ing useless. Luton did brilliantly though, fantastic game
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2006, 20:47   #4
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

there's a certain immaturity about me that enjoys hearing football fans chant sware words during live FA Cup games.

3-1 and you ****ed it up!

I forget what Luton fans were chanting at half time, but I enjoyed it.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2006, 21:03   #5
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
there's a certain immaturity about me that enjoys hearing football fans chant sware words during live FA Cup games.

That one amused me greatly as well
Unread 7 Jan 2006, 21:28   #6
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ye i loved that as well, mainly down to the fact motty was silent for about 20 seconds, i bet he was trying to work out what they were saying too ;p

btw the villa game was great, purely because villa won!
Unread 7 Jan 2006, 21:52   #7
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go

I forget what Luton fans were chanting at half time, but I enjoyed it.
"Hansen, what's the score? Hansen Hansen what's the score?" cracked me up. Especially when the Liverpool fans chanted it back later on.

I support Luton, not religiously, but I've been to a few matches. Couldn't believe we were leading 3-1 at half time, but somehow deep down I knew we wouldn't be able to hold it. It took some amazing skill by their superior players to pull it out of the bag though.

Great match!

I haven't seen any highlights but a few other games which I'll look forward to on match of the day tonight include Southampton beating MK dons 4-3, and Sheffield Wednesday losing against Charlton 4-2.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 00:30   #8
midge5
mmm lambs

Poor Torquay, I think they can count themselves so unlucky not to have won.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 19:01   #9
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fulham lost at home to Leyton Orient :eek:
And Burton held Man Utd to a draw! Nice one little Clougher.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 21:26   #10
midge5
mmm lambs

The BBC must have made some pretty hefty sacrifices to have got two such exciting games this weekend.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 21:32   #11
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

spurs were robbed there, plain as day. de vries (yam **** that he is) was offside and that was a penalty.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 21:37   #12
midge5
mmm lambs

I haven't seen the penalty shout as I didn't watch all of the game(revision ) but it looks like the winner wasn't offside afterall.

Always nice to have more shocks anyway.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 21:58   #13
pig
1up on you

2-0 and you ****ed it up!
2-0 and you ****ed it up!
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 22:00   #14
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Spurs is back to usual standards
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 22:04   #15
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

It wasn't offside.

And as for the penalty, that's the least of your worries if you conceded 3 to leicester who can't score for love or money.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 22:06   #16
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
spurs were robbed there, plain as day. de vries (yam **** that he is) was offside and that was a penalty.
They didn't deserve to win.
It wasn't offside btw and anyway the defenders shouldn't have all stopped and waved their hands in the air.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 22:06   #17
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Yep was 100% not offside, they lined it up after the game so ha ha to all the yeedos! Not that i can talk being a man utd fan after our Burton Albion humbling, but hey D
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 22:30   #18
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

what the **** is it with prem teams being unable to win in the cup away from home.

we're a bunch of cloggers, and we got through with one of the toughest draws FFS.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 22:34   #19
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As an Arsenal fan, this is one of the funniest days of the last 12 months.

2-0 down, 3-2 up
Cheers Leicester for knocking Spurs out the FA Cup.

The BBC 606 boards are going mad at the moment, especially on the Tottenham boards. Apparently Spurs fans have been doing the rounds taking the piss out of all the Premiership teams that drew (Man U, Boro, etc), and now this happened. Only Chelsea fans are still being their friends - and we know what that means.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 22:38   #20
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

you do realise that this means they'll be able to focus on the league and make sure you don't get that champions league spot?

All our rivals got replays, and i'm pleased as punch about it.

As for Scum v Franchise, well who cares really.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 22:53   #21
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Arsenal are coming good. We may not be able to compete against Chelsea in our transition season, but with the amount that they spend, it's hardly suprising.

As for Spurs - form is temporary, class is permanent.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 23:02   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Arsenal are coming good.
If by "coming good" you mean "putting in a series of piss-poor performances".
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 23:18   #23
furball

Define piss-poor? I'd like to think it's the obvious, but this is belied by the facts. Arsenal's season has been incredibly inconsistent and blighted by key injuries. See Campbell being out, both of our left-backs sustaining foot injuries, Henry playing through an ongoing Achilles problem. So we've had Calamity Senderos in the centre of defence and Cygan at left back. And you wonder why we're conceding goals?

Without Viera, we lack the midfield drive that used to win us the tough games. Yet we can only wait for players to be signed to replace him, and I doubt we'll see them coming due to the need to avoid Chelski/Real coming in on the poach - see SWP, Baptista and others over just the last season. Reyes' signing was a shocker when we bought him - but if everyone had known it was happening, it's not unlikely that one of the Spanish sides would have come in with a major offer. We don't have the financial muscle to out-bid major clubs, and until we move to the new stadium this won't change.

Wenger has always played canny in the transfer market - Anelka, Viera and Henry became stars beyond all expectations. Fabregas is getting maturer by the game. Hleb will find his feet, but this sort of thing always takes time. Van Persie is still very young. In our midfield, we have too many squad players and not enough true first-teamers (Flamini for example).

I will be content with 4th - and we won't be putting in piss-poor performances to get there.

As for our actual form, four clean sheets in a row in the Premiership, players coming back from injury, and four 'win' games coming up (Boro, Everton, West Ham, Birmingham). We expect to win those, and when we do, it'll do wonders for morale.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 23:27   #24
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
spurs were robbed there, plain as day.
I went to the game and had a shit view for the final goal so cant comment on the offside or any penalty decisions but Leicester out played Spirs for most of the game. I thought they deserved the win. It certainly didnt seem like 4th place in the Prem playing a team struggling against relegation in the championship.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 23:35   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Define piss-poor? I'd like to think it's the obvious, but this is belied by the facts. Arsenal's season has been incredibly inconsistent and blighted by key injuries. See Campbell being out, both of our left-backs sustaining foot injuries, Henry playing through an ongoing Achilles problem. So we've had Calamity Senderos in the centre of defence and Cygan at left back. And you wonder why we're conceding goals?
The league season is a squad thing. Saying that you're a great team, ignoring injuries, is ignoring the reality of football - people get injured. There's a reason that teams like Manchester United and Chelsea have good players on their books when they already have good players in those positions, you have to be prepared for the injuries that occur. A team is more than just the first 11.

Quote:
Without Viera, we lack the midfield drive that used to win us the tough games. Yet we can only wait for players to be signed to replace him, and I doubt we'll see them coming due to the need to avoid Chelski/Real coming in on the poach - see SWP, Baptista and others over just the last season.
"And others"? The SWP "deal" was talked up because of of the Ian Wright connection, but as far as I know Wenger never made a serious, or any, move for him. And Baptista wouldn't have gone to Highbury even if Real hadn't bidded. Being 1 season away from a Spanish passport, and thus benefitting from the EU employment laws, does not make a move to England seem attractive.

Quote:
Wenger has always played canny in the transfer market - Anelka, Viera and Henry became stars beyond all expectations. Fabregas is getting maturer by the game. Hleb will find his feet, but this sort of thing always takes time. Van Persie is still very young. In our midfield, we have too many squad players and not enough true first-teamers (Flamini for example).
What a wonderful bit of myopia. Arsene Wenger has had some large successes, for sure. But what about the failures? Before Reyes, your record transfer was Silvain Wiltord. Say that Cygan isn't good enough, but who bought Cygan and sold, for example, Upson? A manager's record in the transfer market is decided upon more than just the big successes, otherwise Harry Redknapp would be regarded as a geniuis and not just a hit-and-miss merchant. Souness would be regarded with respect.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 23:56   #26
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
The league season is a squad thing. Saying that you're a great team, ignoring injuries, is ignoring the reality of football - people get injured. There's a reason that teams like Manchester United and Chelsea have good players on their books when they already have good players in those positions, you have to be prepared for the injuries that occur. A team is more than just the first 11.
I agree. I'm not submitting that we have an established squad, or that we're in contention to win or even come second. I don't see it happening. Arsenal haven't had any real strength in depth for a few years now, it's just finally caught up with us.

Quote:
"And others"? The SWP "deal" was talked up because of of the Ian Wright connection, but as far as I know Wenger never made a serious, or any, move for him. And Baptista wouldn't have gone to Highbury even if Real hadn't bidded. Being 1 season away from a Spanish passport, and thus benefitting from the EU employment laws, does not make a move to England seem attractive.
SWP: orly?
Baptista: He was always going to be leaving Sevilla, but it was 50-50 whether or not he left Spain. We know the outcome and why he stayed, you don't need to outline that. My point was that he would have probably come to us if Real hadn't jumped in at the last minute.

Quote:
What a wonderful bit of myopia. Arsene Wenger has had some large successes, for sure. But what about the failures? Before Reyes, your record transfer was Sylvain Wiltord. Say that Cygan isn't good enough, but who bought Cygan and sold, for example, Upson? A manager's record in the transfer market is decided upon more than just the big successes, otherwise Harry Redknapp would be regarded as a geniuis and not just a hit-and-miss merchant. Souness would be regarded with respect.
No Arsenal fan will deny that there have been cock-ups along the way, Jeffers and Richard Wright being additional examples. Upson isn't as good as Toure or Campbell - and it's only when Senderos was playing that the issue of Upson got raised again. Wiltord scored some important goals for us, although he probably wasn't worth what we paid for him. No club has ever been perfect in the transfer market, and whoever you support, I expect that mistakes are as common in their history as they are in ours.

And don't diss Harry Redknapp
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 00:21   #27
Ste
Bored

Quote:
whoever you support
Hehe (Sunderland)

We (Forest) seem to be buying in decent players for the position we're in. They just seem to turn shit when they get here and then don't get their form back until they leave again

Unread 9 Jan 2006, 00:24   #28
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
e Harry Redknapp would be regarded as a geniuis and not just a hit-and-miss merchant. .
To be fair on him, his record after West Ham has improved dramatically.

He may have had a relative stack of cash when he took us on, but he still built a premiership bottom half side with it even before we went up - Hislop, Festa, DeZeeuw, Taylor, Hughes, Merson, Sherwood, Stone, Todorov, Yakubu. He also got in a chap called Diabate who although we'll probably never hear about again as he was on a short contract was fantastic purely because he had a knack of being an absolute killer in the tackle, yet never get sent off and always gave 110%.

He did get in some pretty unspectacular players like Heikkenen, Tavlaridis and Paul Ritchie but they simply came in to cover for injuries we had in the middle of the season.

Then the minute he came up he took Sheringham (who was an excellent signing, but was just stupidly overplayed - Pardew is showing how to use him), Berger (who despite being a crock still played 25+ league games a season), Faye (who was excellent until he got word Newcastle were interested), Stefanovic, Schemmel (who was a good player but had to go because his inlaws got ill). We were also after Drogba before Marseille got him, but we just didn't have the cash to pay the £2.5M.

His main problem that season was signing a decent back up 'keeper as Srnicek and Crapenaar were both rubbish and Zivkovic who although he was probably a good player, soon sussed out that his training methods are pretty suspect and buggered off. He signed a few turkeys as back up players, but they were just meant as bodies but got some decent mileage out of players like Lua Lua, Pasanen (loan, proved too expensive to buy from Ajax) and Berkovic (who is the one of the best players off the bench you'll see). Infact once his signings were all fit, while I doubt we'd have won the title if they'd stayed fit all season, we were on championship form for the end of it. Mornar was probably a panic buy but never got in the team once it was obvious that Yakubu, Lua and Sheringham were the main men. From Euro 2004, I don't think he's that bad a player deployed on the right.

The season after that he got Fuller on the cheap (who got an unfairly hard time despite working his nuts off and getting the best out of the Yak) and was forced to miss out Diop because the club wouldn't pay an agent's fee. He also got in Ashdown for £300k, who is developing into a pretty solid prem keeper, although he's still got a bit to learn. I doubt you'll see many Pompey fans who don't like Andy Griffin.

Then again he also got David Unsworth (who was an absolute disgrace) and Kamara (albeit on hire purchase) who while probably looking wonderfully able to a scout, is actually as thick as two short planks.

Then he went to scum, bought pretty well, nearly stayed up but inherited a defence so criminally bad and slow that he was on a hiding to nothing. The scum hate him, but he's the one who was burdened with shit players on big contracts who wanted to get paid instead of leaving hence in the summer had no scope to wheel and deal even on frees. Funny that, considering how they all seem to love Quashie.

The problem with Redknapp is that while he gets some great players in due to his seeming great network of agents, is that while the players he gets are generally good value, there are added hidden costs which make him very expensive in the long term, as he won't play a kid unless he's supremely talented (barely played O'Neil first time round, only really played Walcott at scum once he started scoring).

Obviously the worrying thing is that prior to now, he's been scrapping around and working hard on getting players in. Now he's got the readies and doesn't have to. While it is exciting, Mwaruwari for £4.1M seems like a pretty huge risk to me. Even so, Harry seems to have gone into overdrive in that I can sense he's trying harder than ever to get players in.

In recent years, Harry has become a very shrewd operator of the transfer market, generally getting pretty good value for money in terms of what fees we pay. As a long term manager, I think he's potentially a disaster. Even so, his track record in the transfer market after West Ham with us and Scum is pretty amazing. The reason he's seen as a bit "hit and miss" is because he generally signs back up players on frees who are just there as bodies and old players because the clubs he's been with have generally needed a quick fix. The reason he gets terrible injuries is down to his other failings as a manager, but other than that I think on sheer buys and sales, I think Harry is pretty good. And this is probably why we've got him in regardless of him being an utter ****. I have my gripes about Harry as a manager, his record in the transfer market isn't one of them.

Wenger right now has a problem in that he can't find a midfielder to replace vieira and as a result, his team has no steel whatsoever and with the loss of Edu, his squad is paper thin. What he really needed to do is invest £3M in someone experienced and solid to keep things ticking over, while he developed a successor, but Wenger sadly has no concept of a "stopgap" transfer.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 00:47   #29
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Your right, Lok. Wenger has not bought anyone "stopgap" for a long time. But back in his early days with Arsenal he had a couple of players like that. Remi Garde and Giles Grimandi was two of them.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 01:11   #30
furball

Ahhh, the sweet days of Remi Garde. I remember being in my last year of primary school and playing as him in wembley singles

I think the choices for their new signings were Nelson Vivas, Garde and of course, Patrick Viera. At that age, they were all pretty much the same to me
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 01:13   #31
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

The continued denial and unmerited optimism of arsenal fans never ceases to amuse me
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 01:38   #32
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Well, eJohn, we all blame Wenger and Dein for it
It's been some really good years with some fantastic football sine Wenger started.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 02:45   #33
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
What a wonderful bit of myopia. Arsene Wenger has had some large successes, for sure. But what about the failures? Before Reyes, your record transfer was Silvain Wiltord. Say that Cygan isn't good enough, but who bought Cygan and sold, for example, Upson? A manager's record in the transfer market is decided upon more than just the big successes, otherwise Harry Redknapp would be regarded as a geniuis and not just a hit-and-miss merchant. Souness would be regarded with respect.
A fine example and a bigger and better one is Juan Sebastian Veron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
but Wenger sadly has no concept of a "stopgap" transfer.
QFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Your right, Lok. Wenger has not bought anyone "stopgap" for a long time. But back in his early days with Arsenal he had a couple of players like that. Remi Garde and Giles Grimandi was two of them.
Grimandi will always be a legend for me simply for his commitment on the pitch in his last two seasons.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 09:48   #34
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
A fine example and a bigger and better one is Juan Sebastian Veron.
What?
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 10:28   #35
furball

As a failure, both for Man United and Chelsea.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 14:55   #36
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

4th rnd draw

Quote:
Stoke City/Tamworth v Barnsley/Walsall
Cheltenham Town/Chester City v Newcastle United
Coventry v Nuneaton Borough/Middlesbrough
West Brom/Reading v Torquay/Birmingham
Portsmouth v Liverpool
Leicester v Southampton
Bolton v Arsenal
Aston Villa v Port Vale
Brentford v Sunderland
Manchester City v Wigan/Leeds
Millwall/Everton v Chelsea
Preston v Crystal Palace
West Ham v Blackburn
Colchester v Derby
Charlton v Leyton Orient
Wolves v Burton/Manchester United

Ties to be played on the weekend of the 28/29 January.
that'll be wolves vs burton then
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 15:05   #37
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

Police will be praying Everton see off Millwall in the replay. Otherwise we're heading for a bloodbath not seen for 10 years : Millwall vs Chelsea
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 15:20   #38
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Grimandi will always be a legend for me simply for his commitment on the pitch in his last two seasons.
Amen. I will happily spend a few quid buying that man a pint if I ever stuble across him in a bar

The best of it all was that he never went to the media and complained about anything, even if he didnt get much time on the pitch in periods.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 15:59   #39
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Leyton Orient get rewarded with another trip to a prem team. Even a step up from Fulham with it being Charlton. Lets see if Bent cant get some form together. Going by there last performance i really wouldnt bet against the O's! Would be great if they could take them back to Brisbane Road, would be a real money spinner.

Other good ties see Newcastle going away to lower league competition. See if Shearer can save Souness's testicles again lol. And Pompey Liverpool, with how Pompey been playing recently i cant see them letting in 5 goals, even with there defence
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 16:05   #40
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
Police will be praying Everton see off Millwall in the replay. Otherwise we're heading for a bloodbath not seen for 10 years : Millwall vs Chelsea
Have you actually been to a football match lately?

Seriously stop watching your films, yes there may be a fight but that will be organised and im sure kept away from the actual stadium and match. Chelsea fans are all rich twats now (it says something when I can walk around Chelsea on matchday wearing a villa shirt, and not a word is said to me) and Milwall arent what they are as far as firms go anymore, last time stoke went to milwall, milwall went running. Stop making sensational statements and think about it logically we arent in the 80s anymore.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 16:24   #41
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

Have you seen a football game lately either? Being a villa fan and all.

Its a game steeped in hate, and while football violence isnt at the highs of before, its still

a/ Chelsea headhunters
b/ Millwall racists
c/ English people
d/ The first meeting in ten years.

To think it'll be anything less than violent is folly.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 16:31   #42
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Have you seen a football game lately either? Being a villa fan and all.
Who do you support? And as far as going to football, season ticket since I was about 8. Im in the south now but still make about ten home games a season and 5 away games a season.

Quote:
Its a game steeped in hate, and while football violence isnt at the highs of before, its still

a/ Chelsea headhunters
b/ Millwall racists
c/ English people
d/ The first meeting in ten years.

To think it'll be anything less than violent is folly.
So what two firms getting into a fight. They wouldnt do it outside the ground the police prescence would be too high. They will also be monitored from the moment they leave there house most likely.

You want to talk about hooligans, blues v villa. Blues are notourious scum. I dont use the word scum lightly, they are little shit, even though the hatred between villa and blues is great there was such a police prescence that only a few fights kicked off (mainly blose scum ganging up on loan villans) Millwall v chelsea will not and I repeat will not be a blood bath.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 17:36   #43
midge5
mmm lambs

On the topic of hooliganism, I'm looking forward to next season when Cardiff and Swansea face off in Championship. Should be interesting

Last edited by midge5; 9 Jan 2006 at 19:18. Reason: spelling
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 18:03   #44
furball

Oh yes. I pity the bars in Cardiff city centre on the Saturday night after the game in Cardiff. Somehow I don't think I'll be heading into town...
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 18:42   #45
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Villa - Port Vale ftw. Nice draw
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 18:51   #46
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Dont worry furball. Its all about taking with you the right tools to do the work

Take this along, http://www.hkpro.com/image/mp5a2.jpg
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 18:53   #47
furball

I'd rather take this. Obviously with its full length
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 00:13   #48
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
As a failure, both for Man United and Chelsea.
Mainly Man Utd.

£27m and did **** all. The game's biggest flop.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 00:26   #49
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
£27m and did **** all. The game's biggest flop.
He didn't do **** all. He performed really well in European games, when he could actually play the way he's good at - with time on the ball, and space to make a killer pass. This is true for both his time at Manchester United and his rather shorter period at Chelsea, which was damaged by injury.
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 00:42   #50
lokken
BlueTuba

The thing with Veron, is that just when he looked like adapting, Fergie bottled it and sold him. I thought later in his time at Man U he was an awesome passer of the ball, got stuck in and was always helpful for getting forward into the box.

Sadly he is one of these continental players who can't play 4-4-2 very well, which considering this is now fergie's formation of choice with horse and rooney (and he should stick to it) means he was never a real long term choice.

I agree with Blastoderm - he was a flop, simply because fans were too impatient with him, commanded an excessive fee and was put in a team that wasn't suited to 4-5-1.