User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Nov 2005, 14:06   #51
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Gay/Lesbian adoptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramihyn
I think several people in here (including me) have given a very definitive reply. To sum it up:

Gender of parents cant/shouldnt play the decisive role about if or if not a couple can adopt a child.

That is an opinion, and not a definitve answer. Not enough social studies have been undertaken to give an exact answer, and because it is dealing with children, who are all different and need different things, science couldm't give an exact formula.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2005, 14:11   #52
Forest

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe

GD I underestimated you and I apologise. You have with only the exception of Forest all posted well thought out and liberal responses.

Now as to the actual topic. I feel I must once again be the voice of boring old reality but:

Single People are already allowed to adopt children.

No distinction is made on the basis of the single person's sexuality. So what the presents law against gay couples adopting does is force one of the gay couple to adopt the child on his/her own. This seems unnecessarilly silly.
I don't see hwo my thoughts are any less well thought out. I have the experience of working with whole groups of children for over 10 years, across the age ranges, so I am talking with some knowledge.

On the subject of single parent adoptions, I don't agree with them either. I stand by the point I made that children should have a male/female close to them.
I dont think it is a coincedence that the rise in parents going out to work, leaving children in others care, and the rise in lack of discipline/lowering of standards has followed each other.

I will concede however, after talking to colleagues in real life, and listenig on here, that whilst a male/female is better for the child, that subsequently having male/male or female/female is better than having no-one (ie being stuck in a home).
Unread 11 Nov 2005, 14:19   #53
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
and because it is dealing with children, who are all different and need different things, science couldm't give an exact formula.
That doesn't make "just guessing" an acceptable alternative.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2005, 14:25   #54
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

On the subject of single parent adoptions, I don't agree with them either. I stand by the point I made that children should have a male/female close to them.
I dont think it is a coincedence that the rise in parents going out to work, leaving children in others care, and the rise in lack of discipline/lowering of standards has followed each other.
With the greatest respect what you have is not a point but a belief.

You've provided no evidence to support your statement.

Secondly, once again bringing in that boring old addition to a debate: 'reality'.
1) What evidence do you have to suggest that there is a "rise in lack of discipline/lowering of standards".
2) before the end of WWII a huge portion of children had severely restricted access to their mothers and almost non existant contact with their fathers. This is because even lower middle class families used nannies to raise children (oh and in working class families the father would still have little to no contact through work hours).

You seem to hold a rather 'chocolate box' idealised version of the realities of how children were brought up in the past. This fantasy may explain why you cling so strongly to your belief that "that children should have a male/female close to them."

children require a stable environment, physical protection from harm, water, food and education.
Unread 11 Nov 2005, 16:14   #55
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
That doesn't make "just guessing" an acceptable alternative.

It is not guessing, it is giving an experienced view.
Unread 11 Nov 2005, 16:15   #56
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
Secondly, once again bringing in that boring old addition to a debate: 'reality'.
1) What evidence do you have to suggest that there is a "rise in lack of discipline/lowering of standards".
2) before the end of WWII a huge portion of children had severely restricted access to their mothers and almost non existant contact with their fathers. This is because even lower middle class families used nannies to raise children (oh and in working class families the father would still have little to no contact through work hours).

You seem to hold a rather 'chocolate box' idealised version of the realities of how children were brought up in the past. This fantasy may explain why you cling so strongly to your belief that "that children should have a male/female close to them."

children require a stable environment, physical protection from harm, water, food and education.
Good points, and ones which I shall address when I get home from my weekend away (best mate getting married etc)

On your last point, children need a lot more than that, and I will address that point also.

Cya all later.
Unread 11 Nov 2005, 17:41   #57
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Anyway, the choice is not usually between a same sex couple or a different sex couple but between any couple or none.
Best point in the thread.

Far too many people who oppose same-sex adoption seem to be presuming that were a same-sex couple to adopt, they would be snatching a child away from a mixed-sex family also waiting to adopt it.

In reality of course there are hundreds of thousands of children awaiting adoption in the US alone, and since the vast majority of adoptees choose fair-skinned, fair-haired children under 2 years old, most of the rest face not being adopted and being brought up by the state or in temporary or foster homes.

So, can you really argue that adoption by a same sex family would be worse than not being adopted at all?

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2005, 17:56   #58
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It is not guessing, it is giving an experienced view.
Circumstantial evidence might as well be "just guessing" in something that requires such a large sample size as this.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2005, 15:47   #59
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

Surely depends on the sex of the child? Sons are closer to their fathers, daughters closer to their mothers. Can you honestly say your parents mean the same to you, have been exactly as useful to your upbringing?
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2005, 16:28   #60
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
Can you honestly say your parents mean the same to you, have been exactly as useful to your upbringing?
Most certainly not. However...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
Surely depends on the sex of the child? Sons are closer to their fathers, daughters closer to their mothers.
...I'd say I'm almost certainly closer to my mother and she definitely did more for me directly in my upbringing. Really, when you're generalising by splitting the human race in two just presume you're wrong and don't say anything at all.
Unread 14 Nov 2005, 18:17   #61
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

why is it that people keep stating that hetro couples raise children better than single sex couples, when it's been pointed out several times that this is fairly irrelevant to the discussion?

i've read little comparison between gay couples and a home, or even gay couples and a single parent (tho, i'm not convinced this is particularly relevant either).

any experience teaching kids from a children's home forest?

oh, and i agree with the previous post