User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 May 2009, 07:58   #1
Cocteau
Cherry Colored Funk

Cocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to all
Hatton's downfall.

What happened to Ricky on the fight tonight?

He looks very promising around 3 years ago when he beat Tszyu.

Maybe Pacquiao is a bad career move for him. I wonder what are the wrong decisions he made to go down this far. Wrong choices of fights from his promoter (Golden Boy) ? wrong choice of trainer (Mayweather Sr.)? Or he's just plain overhyped/overrated?
Really need you

-- My Bloody Valentine
Cocteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2009, 10:34   #2
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold
Re: Hatton's downfall.

fighting outside of his natural weight against mayweather (who is raw talent in his own class) was the first downfall. Along with wanting to fight for the big money. He left his promoter frank warren quite early on because he was being held back and groomed as a superstar against people who were too old or had taken big beatings previously (see amihr khann currently). He broke away from this because he wanted to test himself agains the best in the world in his OWN class. He had reasonable success and reached his prime in my opinion in his mid 20's. Since that time i assume he must have got bored, or at some point thought ok im beating people easy in my own class but im not bringing in the big money. The likes of mayweather jr are where the big money is, breaking into america with force. With this being said lets face it, that fight on its own must have brought him in a few mill, losing it wasnt too great for his rep though. In my opinion infact i think he was fighting to the best of his ability but like i said earlier he was fighting someone who is something a bit special in a different class.

For me i feel after the first mayweather fight ricky realised he isnt indestructable and he lost his way.. do i fight back in my own class and dominate? or do i try and set the record straight? from this point on it seems its been nothing but the demise of ricky hatton and tbh thats all im going to say on it because its been a very sad thing to see someone who had so much talent turn in to what seems.. a money fighter (bad one at that).
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2009, 18:11   #3
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

$8 million he got for that fight, i read.
Unread 3 May 2009, 19:43   #4
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothos View Post
$8 million he got for that fight, i read.
I'd quite easily take a royal beating for that.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2009, 20:33   #5
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

I'd bet most people would have went down from a great hit like that on the jaw with their mouth open. Hatton said he never saw it coming, and you can tell.

Reminded me of when Hasim Rahman knocked out Lennox Lewis.
Unread 3 May 2009, 21:23   #6
Cocteau
Cherry Colored Funk

Cocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to allCocteau is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothos View Post

Reminded me of when Hasim Rahman knocked out Lennox Lewis.
Nah wrong comparison.

Actually, i haven't seen a sick knockout like that since Tyson's early years. The knockout is enormous. I'm glad Ricky is fine because from the first look, the knockout looks to have a hazard effect.
Really need you

-- My Bloody Valentine
Cocteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2009, 05:38   #7
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

I meant the fact that Lewis got smacked clean on the jaw with his mouth wide open.
Unread 4 May 2009, 11:02   #8
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

hatton lost because he faced a better fighter who was fighting for respect and not money
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2009, 12:09   #9
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo View Post
hatton lost because he faced a better fighter who was fighting for respect and not money
Bet the money helped though.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2009, 00:28   #10
Tommy
Sain†s

Tommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud of

In both his last fights he's been up against fitter, stronger opponents who've focused on actually winning rather than hyperbole. He's been woefully under-prepared, and each time it ruined any chance he had.
Unread 10 May 2009, 01:04   #11
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with Hatton is that he truely believes he can go in against the best fighters, jump in with his hands low and expect to land his power punches before receiving a counter punch.

He is not tactically aware enough to trouble the quickest fighters. I hope he retires now - nowhere for him to go from here.
Unread 10 May 2009, 13:16   #12
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

Good news for all the potential of ricky hatton to fight amir khan. This should be billed as "the career to end all careers".

Lets see the potential scenario here:

Ricky hatton wins, putting amir khan on 2 losses and his superstar status (hyped up by frank warren) remains in tatters. His confidence is at an all time low and people will realise he is not capable of fighting anyone past the likes of hatton. He retires as prince naseem did and gets fat. Ricky hatton then goes on to fight floyd mayweather junior again and loses. Ricky hatton retires and gets fat.

Ricky loses. He looks a complete joke to boxing and is forced to retire. Amir khan then gets billed as the best british boxer of all time and wants to break through the american ranks. Frank warren doesnt want to see his glass chinned boxer floored without bringing in some money and tries to hold him back. As per what occured with hatton amir leaves his promoter and goes to america to fight. He believes he can fight with the likes of may weather and then gets knocked out also. Retires, and gets fat.

my 2p
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2009, 14:29   #13
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

I make you right Munkee, Warren knows Khan is too chinny to be world class. What is also interesting is that if Khan beats Kotelnik, his mandatory challenger for the WBA Light Welterweight title will be Ortiz before long (the next big thing if you listen to Americans).

Whether it is against Hatton or Ortiz Khan will be exposed before long and his career at international level will be over.