User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Oct 2005, 12:44   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Shares

Do any of you have a significant amount of shares, or dabble in the stock market?

I don't mean a small amount that you were given, or claimed by working in a company. I mean you are registered with one or more companies that allow you to buy and sell shares. And you do put money into it and follow the status of your shares.

One of my colleagues at work is very into it (he teaches Economics). He's 50 or so, and this has been a hobby of his for years, so I'm hoping he'll educate me a bit in it.

I'm considering putting a bit of money into it - say £50-£100 a month. At the beginning my shares will be pithy amounts, so I'll probably stick half of them on penny shares*, before going with the solid ones that cost a bit more and return isn't so high, but are more reliable. By the end of the year though, I'll have invested over £1000. And hopefully have made a profit from it (fingers crossed).

I was curious to see if anyone here did it, so I could ask for advice or anything with you.

*penny shares are very cheap ones (such as 1p or 2p). You can obviously buy more with your money. A small increase or decrease results in a big rise or drop in your stake though, as it effectively doubles with each penny increase in price. Risky, and with high losses/returns.
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 13:02   #2
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shares

closest thing I did was invest the money my nan left me in her will into Nowich union property shares (low risk/ low gain) when i was 16, I just closed the account last year.

I had put ~£1500-2000 in then and took out ~£3000-3500 so not bad really

I am 22 now.

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 13:10   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

I tried a few times. All together I lost more than i won but a few times I made some money which feels pretty good . Funny enough those were mostly the ones i picked purely at random (adobe photoshop cd on my desk... what to buy? adobe of course. made me 70% in less than 6 month )

Atm i just have some bonds. I hope thats the right word for it. What I mean is companies borrowing money and then paying some fixed interest rate on it. Prices for these things also move, but the advatage is you know what you get the moment you buy. I know i get my 4-5% per year until 2007 (which is a lot more than i would get at a bank), at least unless the company defaults. The disadvatage is that there is hardly a chance to get any more money out of this investment.

If you want to get into shares, at the amounts you want to invest you should look out after the fees you have to pay to buy the stocks. Some stocks i bought had to rise 10% just so that I could get out without losing any money. Maybe you would do better with some investment fund. That's less fun but you don't have to pay that much attention to anything. On the other hand, if the managers of these funds would have any idea of what they are doing, they wouldn't have to work any more, would they?
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 14:00   #4
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I'm considering putting a bit of money into it - say £50-£100 a month. At the beginning my shares will be pithy amounts, so I'll probably stick half of them on penny shares*, before going with the solid ones that cost a bit more and return isn't so high, but are more reliable. By the end of the year though, I'll have invested over £1000. And hopefully have made a profit from it (fingers crossed).
I've been saving capital for the last few years to proceed with investment in real shares. Last year, TD Waterhouse would give you a virtual portfolio which you could use to buy and sell fake shares (but obviously make no money from). I'm not sure if they still do this but I would seriously check it out.

Also, I fear that your plan of £50-£100 a month might not be such a good idea. Your transaction fee will be around £25 each time you buy or sell, regardless of how much you invest. I'd suggest having at least £50,000 if you want to be able to survive minor fluctuations against your favour. It's important to be able to make a loss in the short term in order to make it big in the future. With just a couple of hundred pounds, you'd be swallowed up by something that would have perhaps othwerwise led to a good return.

Also, I'd recommend having good software which would cost a few hundred quid. Online financial sites are good but don't always allow you to do what you want like place stops and add regression lines etc.

In fact, read a few books. My favourite is "Come Into my Trading Room" by Dr Alexander Elder but there are a lot of good ones out there.
Arachnidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 14:04   #5
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oddly enough i was looking into doing this about a week ago. Barclays have a share dealing account whereby you get the first 50 (i think) trades for free and then its a few quid per trade after.

There have been too many times where ive said 'they would be good to buy some shares in' and then 6months or a year later the share price has doubled or even tripled. It always leaves me with a 'oh ffs' feeling.

Good luck tho dude.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 14:10   #6
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

Having my future tied so completely to capitalism is not a pleasant thought.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 14:26   #7
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn

lol
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 14:54   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Your future isnt already tied to capitalism?

lolz

I give it a few hours before Yahwe says something about how Share dealing is a very middle class thing to do. :-(((
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 16:09   #9
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnidman
Last year, TD Waterhouse would give you a virtual portfolio which you could use to buy and sell fake shares (but obviously make no money from). I'm not sure if they still do this but I would seriously check it out.

In fact, read a few books. My favourite is "Come Into my Trading Room" by Dr Alexander Elder but there are a lot of good ones out there
I'll look into both of those, cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnidman
Also, I fear that your plan of £50-£100 a month might not be such a good idea. Your transaction fee will be around £25 each time you buy or sell, regardless of how much you invest.
I'm looking at the "Halifax Sharebuilder" thing at the moment. 4 times a month they put your money into the companies you choose, for only £1.50 per trade (so it's every week or so). If you want to do a sudden trade which is before the trading day, you pay £12 or so for it. It costs £5 to sell shares, too.

It isn't a bad deal, so that's the one I think I'll eventually go with.

The £50-£100 is pretty pithy I know. As long as I don't screw up massively though, it'll gradually increase. I'm only 22 now, so if I kept this up until I was 25 (£100 a month) I'd have put £3600 in.
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 16:37   #10
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Shares

I have £25 and a hand cart.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 17:52   #11
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
At the beginning my shares will be pithy amounts,
And you teach our children?

JJ: glad to see that you are learning.
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 19:44   #12
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
And you teach our children?

JJ: glad to see that you are learning.
I meant to write pitiful, gee sorry - noone else was petty enough to point it out.

You often make spelling or grammatical mistakes, yet noone picks up on yours. Because we have more interesting things to do that just join the forums, insult people as best we can, then go to bed.
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 19:48   #13
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
All you can do is pray.
Quote:
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 20:04   #14
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the key to the stockmarket is research.

do your homework and you will reap rewards.
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 21:26   #15
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I meant to write pitiful, gee sorry - noone else was petty enough to point it out.

You often make spelling or grammatical mistakes, yet noone picks up on yours. Because we have more interesting things to do that just join the forums, insult people as best we can, then go to bed.
I fail to see how writing one word instead of another is a spelling mistake.

please feel free to get on with your more interesting things. Infact if you were ever to post about them you would be much improved as a poster.
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 21:42   #16
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

yahwe post
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 22:05   #17
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

please feel free to get on with your more interesting things. Infact if you were ever to post about them you would be much improved as a poster.
See: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=187981
Arachnidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 22:14   #18
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's too much effort for me to own shares, I have to declare them, check if it's ok for me to have them (it probably is ok whilst I'm Team junior tbh) and then have to sell them/transfer them if we start auditing them.

I'm not even allowed to do insider dealing
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 22:31   #19
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Without knowing too much about the stockmarket ...

The Chairman of the Fed has just retired.

Historically when that happens (well when a new chairman is appointed) the US stockmarket goes loopy* (and by extension so does the world).

Also the American housing market is in a bubble atm so shit hitting fan time might be soon because of that.

Just thought i'd bring these facts/points to your attention duder.

*and not in the good way
Unread 24 Oct 2005, 22:51   #20
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

I currently have about €4000 on Stream GRP on the LSE, down about 16% from when I bought. I made about a 50% return on AMD [bought at $13.62,sold at $20.47] in about 4 months, so plenty of money can be made.

I would recommend [as others have pointed out] investing large amounts to offset your fees, or finding a broker who will charge you a percentage commission. Also beware of stamp duty and yearly account fees. AIM is a good place to invest if your are thinking of it- I would personally stay away from tech shares- the recent issues concerning terrorism and the UK can only have a negative impact on consumer spending [and hence the stock exchanges]. Also to note things like the amount of capital a company has, in cash, assets etc. P/E ratios..... it ca go on for ages and ages. TBH, just buy the investors chronicle and go with your gut feeling- those guys are paid to do all that research and have much more education,training and experience than you or I[though I do hope to end up investing a large banks money based on my mathematical models....]
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 05:09   #21
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Before you invest any money, learn the language.
As suggested, research before you buy.
At your age, buy for the long term.
If you continued to put in 100/month until you were 62 and made just 5% per year you would have 150,000.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 06:01   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Do any of you have a significant amount of shares, or dabble in the stock market?
Apparently so. I wonder what I'm supposed to do with them. Perhaps when the nuclear apocalypse arrives I can stuff them inside my clothes to keep myself warm at night.

Quote:
I don't mean a small amount that you were given, or claimed by working in a company. I mean you are registered with one or more companies that allow you to buy and sell shares. And you do put money into it and follow the status of your shares.
Oh, quite sorry, I missed this first time around.

Quote:
One of my colleagues at work is very into it (he teaches Economics). He's 50 or so, and this has been a hobby of his for years
How dreadful for him. I hope you send him a get well soon card.

Quote:
Hint: invest in underpants.

Quote:
I was curious to see if anyone here did it, so I could ask for advice or anything with you.
As a general rule my advice is only slightly more helpful than getting punched in the face for however long it takes you to read my post.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 09:29   #23
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Before you invest any money, learn the language.
As suggested, research before you buy.
At your age, buy for the long term.
If you continued to put in 100/month until you were 62 and made just 5% per year you would have 150,000.
all this talk about research.
one of my professors once told me a story: The wallstreet journal (or some other newspaper) let some investment bankers run against a chimp who threw darts on the shares-section of the wallstreet journal. The chimp won ...
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 09:33   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
one of my professors once told me a story: The wallstreet journal (or some other newspaper) let some investment bankers run against a chimp who threw darts on the shares-section of the wallstreet journal. The chimp won ...
One time, I was playing Warhammer against Giles. His army selection was perfect, tactics superb. However, due to some lucky rolls on Banishment, I won by some distance by annihilating his army in 2 turns with one Mage.
99/100, he'd have won. Maybe even more than that. But he didn't.

Given the nature of the stock exchange, one chimp winning once (even if it's true) is statistically insignficiant and thus irrelevent.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 09:34   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
A Hint: invest in underpants.
Step 3 is profit.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 10:34   #26
Tomkat

Yahwe can you please:
1. get out of my thread
2. get off my internet

On topic, I'm now considering sticking £100 per month in a high-interest savings account, then starting to do this in a year or so when my funds are a bit higher.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 15:54   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
If you teach a child to spell the word pronounced "hamster" is spelt with the characters "brick", that would be an error in spelling, therefore your evidence (one word instead of another) is not sufficient to support your hypothesis (that TomKat didn't make a spelling error).
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 15:56   #28
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Its pretty stupid doing it unless youre going to devote a fair bit of time to learning about markets and/or getting professional advice. Its a bit like asking "Is it worthwhile spending £1000 a year playing poker when I cant be bothered learning how to become good?".
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 16:19   #29
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
If you teach a child to spell the word pronounced "hamster" is spelt with the characters "brick", that would be an error in spelling, therefore your evidence (one word instead of another) is not sufficient to support your hypothesis (that TomKat didn't make a spelling error).

only provided the child never came into contact with the conceptual reality of the word 'brick'
Provided the child remained ignorant of the conceptual reality of the word 'brick' he could continue to apply it to small furry rodents and retain his error simply at the level of a spelling mistake.
But once the child is aware of the concept of a brick he must form a spelling for the noun behind the concept: at this point the only way that any future errors might be described as spelling errors is if he comes to believe that the word brick is spelt 'hamster'.

So for it to have been a spelling error:
1) Tomkat must never have come accross the meaning of the word pithy before and have been trained to type p-i-t-h-y instead of pitiful from an early age
or
2) He must believe that the word pitiful is spelt 'p-i-t-h-y' and that the word pithy is spelt 'p-i-t-i-f-u-l'

I prefer the argument that Tomkat deliberately wrote the word pithy, that he meant to write pithy and that he simply had no idea what pithy meant.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 16:23   #30
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The best thing about this argument is that it is entirely pitiful and not even vaguely pithy.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 16:58   #31
JammyJim
Godfather

Obligatory image link because someone on here might not have seen it (lolz)
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:50   #32
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

please don't post shit.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:51   #33
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
Short term.
Unread 25 Oct 2005, 18:57   #34
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

hoho