User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 8 May 2006, 20:32   #1
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute
Possible Gal setup (maybe just one off round)

http://www.bryndias.co.uk/gal.txt

Discussion in #pawiki about what it would be like to have a private round again, posting here to see what others think

in that discussion thinking 8-10 people

Major drawback could be another repeat of R10.5, but would any alliance want a repeat of that?

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea

Last edited by Stifler; 8 May 2006 at 20:40.
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2006, 20:35   #2
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Possible Gal setup (maybe just one off round)

Just so it's clear, I think 10 is a minimum. I think 15 is healthier. As it stands we're getting what are essentially uberactive fortress galaxies anyway.

I'm biased though, my galaxy is one of the top10 on exiles (going by Sandman's count). We got 1 IRC active random in the shuffle and it took us a few hundred ticks to get a random who came on IRC. I don't feel that ability to click 'exile this shit inactive planet who never talks' should determine who I play with.

Edit: I also think PA is better off with private galaxies socially than random galaxies, and as such I don't think it should be 'just for one round'. Obviously if it turns out to suck, nixing it is probably better than keeping it going

Last edited by Banned; 8 May 2006 at 20:40.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2006, 21:12   #3
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think the main reason behind randoms is that it encourages new people to play the game as supposedly we get them all into our alliances. In reality this doesn't happen.

If there was some way of hard-coding people into your alliance it might be work better?

Like you can have a 10 man private gal, but in return you get 5 randoms and they are forced into whichever alliances have the majority in the galaxy (by ratio). If you don't go for the 10 man private gal, then you get to stick with a 5 man buddypack instead with 10 randoms (who arent hardcoded into your alliance).

Of course this leaves us wide open for spies etc, but then it's something alliances would have to (if they chose to) work around.
Unread 8 May 2006, 22:23   #4
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

If we had some setup of private galaxies such as the ability to select up to 10-15 planets in the same galaxy, where they're viable to recieve random exiles below a set limit, what happens to all those planets not in buddy packs?

Last shuffle I think more people were out of buddy packs than in, and even so you're looking at half and half
Unread 8 May 2006, 22:40   #5
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

10-15 ppl +the option of open up for randoms sound fair, as it was in some earlier round.
most randoms are freebes with no intention to actually upgrade their planets anyway
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2006, 22:45   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Well, that'd either leave big random galaxies (as surely random players would need bigger numbers to counterbalance the priv gals?) or all the random players being dumped on the priv gals, which is similar to the current setup.

Either new players are screwed or we might as well not have a shuffle and play the game with 20 galaxies.
Unread 8 May 2006, 22:57   #7
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all

There used to be a round which had private gals of 15 and at the same time random gals of 25 people. We could reintroduce something like that?
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 00:01   #8
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No because the random gals ended up being full of inactives and the private gals ended up dominating. Completely pointless.

The only way to bring people into the game is to force alliances to accept them and train them up. By hardcoding it.
Unread 9 May 2006, 00:04   #9
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
No because the random gals ended up being full of inactives and the private gals ended up dominating. Completely pointless.

The only way to bring people into the game is to force alliances to accept them and train them up. By hardcoding it.
What would you know? You caught cancer for god's sake.
Unread 9 May 2006, 03:00   #10
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I think i prefer the other proposal - have galaxies that are as they are now - plus 5 places for new players who join midround who are not counted as part of the galaxy score, but can participate within a galaxy and learn how to play and so on.

There is a thread around.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 03:26   #11
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I love current setup. And in general I feel that people like the BP system.

People can make an account now without having a BP and still be able to play a good round.

I am once again happy with the randoms I ve gotten, even though I ve exiled plenty. I ve upgraded 3 planets in my galaxy, and gotten atleast 1 more to upgrade his own. I ve tried to help them into alliances, deffed them, given them hints and pointers, and will continue to help them as long as I play PA - or aslong as they play

Private rounds is a part of the past. Even though I d love to setup a gal with 14 hardcore m8s, and pwn, I value the chance to help / meet new players more.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 06:43   #12
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
If we had some setup of private galaxies such as the ability to select up to 10-15 planets in the same galaxy, where they're viable to recieve random exiles below a set limit, what happens to all those planets not in buddy packs?

Last shuffle I think more people were out of buddy packs than in, and even so you're looking at half and half
Quote:
[18:24:17] <@jesterina> private galaxies under the cap should be able to get randoms
[18:24:26] <@jesterina> like
[18:24:48] <@jesterina> if the cap is 10 (which is a nice cap, but not really the 'critical mass' I'm looking for), and a pack has 9
[18:24:57] <@jesterina> they can open up for randoms, but they'd still have a cap of 10
[18:25:07] <@jesterina> whereas random galaxies would just pile on
[18:25:29] <@jesterina> starting at about the same as the cap, but quickly rising etc
Shuffled into private galaxies that don't make the cap (possibly with an option to keep the galaxy closed?) and into random galaxies about the size of the cap, but like now new galaxies aren't made during the game, so the random galaxies get bigger.
Unread 9 May 2006, 07:06   #13
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

There are to few players in PA to have private gals of 10-15. If you told me who was in which gal, I could (anyone who has been around) tell you which gal would win at ticks end. If there was ever a private gal situation, I would rather make it alliance only gals. or something like that. I wouldn't want to sit back while 10-15 of PA's good old boys barely get incoming and win the round.
Unread 9 May 2006, 07:28   #14
WeaponX
Legends live forever

WeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to behold

problem with the current system is...it depends a lot on luck

if you don´t get good exiles than you are doomed to be out of top 50 basically

and luck factor isn´t what makes such games interesting tbh
Unread 9 May 2006, 08:34   #15
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think that this proposed system benefits the elite and hurts those in smaller alliances. At least the present system gives everyone an equal chance - this one would simply be a return to the 'bad old days' of private galaxies.

Frankly alliances with the organisation of 1up/eXil/(Omen?) could put 15 members in a galaxy and boom! ETA 5 defence to each other. Super-gals should no longer be acceptable.
Unread 9 May 2006, 09:00   #16
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I think that this proposed system benefits the elite and hurts those in smaller alliances. At least the present system gives everyone an equal chance - this one would simply be a return to the 'bad old days' of private galaxies.

Frankly alliances with the organisation of 1up/eXil/(Omen?) could put 15 members in a galaxy and boom! ETA 5 defence to each other. Super-gals should no longer be acceptable.
As furball says thats always been the biggest problem with any private galaxy system. It leaves the game on a class system where you leave the best alliances in galaxies that are nigh on untouchable apart from maybe the other top alliances while everyone else becomes easy targets to pick off. Now this may be good for the top alliances initially BUT its not good for the game in the long run because once a player quits a round, or an alliance is forced to quit the round the chance of them returning is greatly reduced and the game needs these lower players to support the higher players.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 09:53   #17
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever happens, I'd like to see a fixed limit of either 10 or 12 planets to each galaxy.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 10:25   #18
Banned
Banned

Quote:
I think that this proposed system benefits the elite and hurts those in smaller alliances.
My alliance is currently ranked under 20th, and I think it would benefit me. Obviously there's a disagreement here.
Quote:
At least the present system gives everyone an equal chance - this one would simply be a return to the 'bad old days' of private galaxies.
No it doesn't. The current system benefits those who can afford to exile rabidly for the first 100 ticks or so while maintaining a good enough size, score and activity to appeal to self-exilers.

Quote:
I think you'll find that most alliances don't want 15 of their members in the same galaxy. Last time I played with 1up the limit was 2 to a buddypack of 3 so we wouldn't get 6 1up in the same galaxy.

Super galaxies are still possible, they just require luck to get. I don't like that. If people want to build a super galaxy, they should be allowed to try. Not all super galaxies succeed, but at least they would have an equal opportunity to try to succeed based on merit rather than luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
As furball says thats always been the biggest problem with any private galaxy system. It leaves the game on a class system where you leave the best alliances in galaxies that are nigh on untouchable apart from maybe the other top alliances while everyone else becomes easy targets to pick off. Now this may be good for the top alliances initially BUT its not good for the game in the long run because once a player quits a round, or an alliance is forced to quit the round the chance of them returning is greatly reduced and the game needs these lower players to support the higher players.
What you don't understand is that most top alliances will not want their members' galaxies full of other top alliances. If their galaxies are consistently filled with members from a certain alliance or set of alliances, their political moves are limited. It is better for top alliances to have more even alliance distributions in their galaxies so that politics don't **** them over.

You think there is some sort holy lower player that needs to be protected from the upper tier of play. But you're wrong. The upper tier needs the lower tier more than it needs itself.
Unread 9 May 2006, 10:43   #19
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just go for bigger buddypakcs? like maximum 7 ppl in a buddypack.
Still room for randoms but you atleast have a good core of active ppl to start with.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 11:03   #20
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
http://www.bryndias.co.uk/gal.txt

Discussion in #pawiki about what it would be like to have a private round again, posting here to see what others think

in that discussion thinking 8-10 people

Major drawback could be another repeat of R10.5, but would any alliance want a repeat of that?
A repeat can only be when 1 alliance is superior and the rest is generally REALLY REALLY bad ...

And this is unrelated to having private or random galaxies.

Nonetheless, I'm all for private galaxies (I could be in a galaxy where pple actually like me )

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 11:12   #21
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
Nonetheless, I'm all for private galaxies (I could be in a galaxy where pple actually like me )
There are people who actually like u?

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 11:21   #22
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
My alliance is currently ranked under 20th, and I think it would benefit me. Obviously there's a disagreement here.
Sorry, are you being serious? I'll reply to other points later, but I had to pick up on this one.
You're one of the more well known people in the community, and probably on first name terms with many of the top HC.
Of course it'd benefit you.
You're only in a small alliance because you and a few others want to play laid back and relaxed for fun.

The assumption is that most of the new players / small alliance players don't have a great idea of how everything works.
Unread 9 May 2006, 11:23   #23
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
There are people who actually like u?
no, but there are pple that don't strongly dislike me ... I'll settle for those

FA Gaming community

Unread 9 May 2006, 11:26   #24
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
You're one of the more well known people in the community, and probably on first name terms with many of the top HC.
Only if kj's first name is "that ****ing ****".
Unread 9 May 2006, 11:52   #25
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
People don't use the "***" though, when they adress me

FA Gaming community

Unread 9 May 2006, 11:53   #26
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

the forums do that when you post a "naughty word"

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 12:26   #27
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Of course it'd benefit you.

The assumption is that most of the new players / small alliance players don't have a great idea of how everything works.
Quote:
I think that this proposed system benefits the elite and hurts those in smaller alliances.
I think you'll find you're disagreeing with furball here, not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
Why not just go for bigger buddypakcs? like maximum 7 ppl in a buddypack.
Still room for randoms but you atleast have a good core of active ppl to start with.
Because I don't want to deal with randoms. I want to make a galaxy with some friends and I don't want to have to rely on chance to put me on equal footing with the other galaxies. I've been in galaxies whose randoms have sucked, and I've been in galaxies whose randoms ended better ranked than most of the BP, but there isn't a single time I wouldn't have traded every one of those randoms for another BP member, regardless of how they would have ranked.
Unread 9 May 2006, 12:31   #28
Appocomaster
PA Team

No, I'm disagreeing with you. I agree with furball that it'll give more power to the organised and established, and hugely disadvantage the smaller players who are newer and more inexperienced and who we're trying to attract and stay.

The best setup that would offer priv gals I can think of is say having priv gals of up to 8 (with no oppertunity to exile /recieve exiles?) alongside the current buddypack setup of 5 buddypacked people and randoms
Unread 9 May 2006, 12:39   #29
Banned
Banned

Quote:
The best setup that would offer priv gals I can think of is say having priv gals of up to 8 (with no oppertunity to exile /recieve exiles?) alongside the current buddypack setup of 5 buddypacked people and randoms
I disagree. You seem to assume that random galmates are a way to percolate into the 'upper tiers'. That's a fallacy. IRC is how people percolate into the 'upper tiers'.

I'd choose someone I've known for a round via IRC not directly related to PA over someone I've only played PA with on IRC. I'm probably not the best representative here, but I don't know anyone who makes that choice differently.
Unread 9 May 2006, 13:43   #30
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
I disagree. You seem to assume that random galmates are a way to percolate into the 'upper tiers'. That's a fallacy. IRC is how people percolate into the 'upper tiers'.

I'd choose someone I've known for a round via IRC not directly related to PA over someone I've only played PA with on IRC. I'm probably not the best representative here, but I don't know anyone who makes that choice differently.
Random galaxies ALLOW these people to make CONTACT with people via irc who can get them into top alliances. Private galaxy setups make this alot harder to happen as your stuck with just people from your current alliance and their allies and never get the chance to really mix with anyone else
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 13:47   #31
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

the whole point of randoms is to give new players the chance to mix with players of varying abilities and experience. by creating private galaxies you are taking this ability away and its doing more detriment to the game than good.

i like playing with people who i know, but i also enjoy meeting new players and bringing people into the game and working with them. Private galaxies would kill off any chance of new players to the game integrating themselves into the community as a whole and would lead to them quitting.

so we have a choice guys. do you want new blood to the game or not? if the answer is yes then this idea, imho, would be counterproductive to that goal

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 14:12   #32
Anonymous Hero
I can be your hero!

Anonymous Hero is on a distinguished road

The game needs new, active players to try and increase the playerbase. The only problem is that a large majority of these new players never seem to bother with IRC.

More effort needs to be made to give new players a good start, the galaxy is partially responsible for this, however PAteam are also responsible into making the game a good experience. Entirely private galaxies would just make the current situation worse.

The developers need to take a look at new players and see what problems they're facing, the game isn't exactly friendly towards them.
Anonymous Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 14:18   #33
Appocomaster
PA Team

Any newish player I encounter I ask to contact me directly with ways of improving information and ways of them learning the game and getting the feel for it.

However, by that state most are already in fairly active and helpful galaxies. In fact, the two major examples that stand in my head are with people who landed in decent galaxies where people started to help them and they came to #support for additional understanding of some game aspects.
(One of the few people who gave feedback said it should be more like another game where there were more help pages. I showed him the manual and the links from overview, which he seemed to have not seen. I admit that getting that more well positioned might be helpful - the old layout had ? on each page linking to the relevant manual pages and that's something I'd like to bring back in some ways )
Unread 9 May 2006, 15:48   #34
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Random galaxies ALLOW these people to make CONTACT with people via irc who can get them into top alliances. Private galaxy setups make this alot harder to happen as your stuck with just people from your current alliance and their allies and never get the chance to really mix with anyone else
I qualified this on purpose, but perhaps I should have specified in the original sentence. People don't make this connection through knowing someone on IRC through a random galaxy (especially not for half a round, or 100 ticks like it is now). People make this connection through knowing someone on IRC outside the context of a random galaxy interactions.

I hold that random galaxies don't improve the likelihood of that sort of interaction significantly. The reason is that there is no implication at the beginning of the relationship that it carries weight. With a private galaxy there are a whole lot of implicit agreements and trust. This is almost completely lacking in the random galaxy context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
the whole point of randoms is to give new players the chance to mix with players of varying abilities and experience. by creating private galaxies you are taking this ability away and its doing more detriment to the game than good.
You're right. That is the whole point. What I propose is for the players of 'varying abilities and experience' to be able to choose. You'll notice that under my model you could fill your private galaxy half way up and get the other half filled with randoms.

Quote:
i like playing with people who i know, but i also enjoy meeting new players and bringing people into the game and working with them. Private galaxies would kill off any chance of new players to the game integrating themselves into the community as a whole and would lead to them quitting.
This statement is an appeal to fear. It as a statement that has become accepted as true without regard to actual fact. Can someone point me to the proof of it? Or a good explanation of why it's true?

Quote:
so we have a choice guys. do you want new blood to the game or not? if the answer is yes then this idea, imho, would be counterproductive to that goal
Emphasis mine. I want to give people the choice. So that the people who want randoms can do so, and the people who don't want them can get private galaxies.

I am sick of the first thing I hear from my galmates being Why did u exhile me??!?!?!?.

It is not my ****ing responsibility to teach these people the game. Just like no one took me under their wing and taught me the game when I started. There should be better 'newbie guides' (Goldeneye's old one is probably as useful today as it was in r3), there need to be roiding guides for each race. These need to be made every round.

It is PAteam's responsibility to see to it that this is done. If they can get community volunteers for it, that's great! But I don't want to spend the rest of my playing time explaining to fresh galmates how to play the game.
Unread 9 May 2006, 16:26   #35
JonnyBGood
Banned

You also have to look at why people sign up for a space-warfare game. Because they like the idea of huge ****ing fleets ****ing other people all ****ing day long in a big ****ing war between big ****ing factions. Linking to some sort of general PA history, scouse's old site and the pawiki are examples but maybe something more focussed, from the overview with the words READ ABOUT THE HISTORY OF PA HERE gets them interested. Then once they're interested you explain to them how these things worked and inspire them to become involved in the community. It's just marketting dudes
Unread 9 May 2006, 16:38   #36
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

And a real, linear, new player guide, where new players can start at page 1 and finish at page 20, is required. There is PAwiki, which is great, and there is the Manual, which ain't bad either if you got the motivation to figure things out. But not many people want to invest too much time into reading, and most people get lost in the complexity of such non-linear guides.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 17:37   #37
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
He was addressing Banned/Jester, not Kj. Appoco even quotes Banned/Jester's post to make it easy for you.

Quote:
I think you'll find that most alliances don't want 15 of their members in the same galaxy. Last time I played with 1up the limit was 2 to a buddypack of 3 so we wouldn't get 6 1up in the same galaxy.

Super galaxies are still possible, they just require luck to get. I don't like that. If people want to build a super galaxy, they should be allowed to try. Not all super galaxies succeed, but at least they would have an equal opportunity to try to succeed based on merit rather than luck.
I disagree. It's easy to flood a galaxy with 6 planets of the same alliance. It's a lot more difficult to flood 15 of them to a point where they, with alliance support, can't cover each other. With 5 waves each, you're talking about a difference of 45 fleets. That's a lot for most alliances to send on one galaxy. Once you add the usual alliance defence fleets, you've got yourself a super-gal - especially considering the value boosts early on from being able to retain roids.

Thinking back to my times in Vengeance, we'd have considered private galaxies on this basis a bad thing. Attacking galaxies would have been harder because the top galaxies would grow quicker and require more fleets going towards them. Furthermore, we wouldn't have been able to build our own super-galaxies because we don't force our members' activity to be on a par with 1up and the rest.
Unread 9 May 2006, 18:18   #38
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
He was addressing Banned/Jester, not Kj. Appoco even quotes Banned/Jester's post to make it easy for you.
What are you talking about? I was implying jester isn't on first name basis with angels' hc unless kj's name is "you ****ing ****". What did you think I meant
Unread 9 May 2006, 18:57   #39
Storebo
Adelante

Storebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to behold

Well.. there are good and bad things i suppose.
Bringing back priv gals would bring back gal attacks... unsure how i feel about that.
Priv gals would take away alot of control from alliances.. And bring back the good old gal before alliance mentality. Also it would lead to blocks. Big wars are okey in a big universe, but not elsewise.

I do belive priv gals would give us a temporary boost in players. Also if we make it like 10 priv gals and a couple more randoms.. randoms might tend to stick around a bit as galm8s will take more interest in their gals and cluster alliances could perhaps come back into play.

We need to bring back the bonus eta u get for ingal attacks. Then it would be worth giving a shit about your cluster. This game have become a bit dull because they've taken away sertain tactical and political options in the game.
R4 170:17:3 [Elysium ]
R5 12:10:18 [Elysium ]
R6 25:10:3 [Elysium ]
R7 31:20:2 [Elysium ] / [Adelante ]
R8 45:2:7 [Adelante ] / [Fury ]
R9 13:7:9 [NoS ] / [Lch ]
R9.5 and R10 dunno where [Elysium ]
R11 21:1:6 [1up]
[1up]
Storebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 19:03   #40
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storebo
Well.. there are good and bad things i suppose.
Bringing back priv gals would bring back gal attacks... unsure how i feel about that.
Priv gals would take away alot of control from alliances.. And bring back the good old gal before alliance mentality. Also it would lead to blocks. Big wars are okey in a big universe, but not elsewise.

I do belive priv gals would give us a temporary boost in players. Also if we make it like 10 priv gals and a couple more randoms.. randoms might tend to stick around a bit as galm8s will take more interest in their gals and cluster alliances could perhaps come back into play.

We need to bring back the bonus eta u get for ingal attacks. Then it would be worth giving a shit about your cluster. This game have become a bit dull because they've taken away sertain tactical and political options in the game.
You mean incluster attacks. I don't think that would be a good idea, it will add yet another luck factor to the game.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2006, 09:24   #41
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
What are you talking about? I was implying jester isn't on first name basis with angels' hc unless kj's name is "you ****ing ****". What did you think I meant
Jester and I are only on 2nd date ... holding hands ... but further then that it doesn't go yet.

And JBG, there are other, nicer, Angels HC's then me

FA Gaming community

Unread 10 May 2006, 10:17   #42
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
There are to few players in PA to have private gals of 10-15. If you told me who was in which gal, I could (anyone who has been around) tell you which gal would win at ticks end. If there was ever a private gal situation, I would rather make it alliance only gals. or something like that. I wouldn't want to sit back while 10-15 of PA's good old boys barely get incoming and win the round.
aye i quite like the setup in some other games of 5 man private gals, all consisting of the same alliance, it really leads to some interesting wars, and you need alot of stamina to see it through. Also adding 2-3 randoms per 5 man gal seems a doable situation. Of course you'd probably have to take alliance size into account once again, but i believe it will stop fortress galaxies.

So gogo 5man priv gals with 2-3randoms
Unread 10 May 2006, 11:04   #43
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I think the main reason behind randoms is that it encourages new people to play the game as supposedly we get them all into our alliances. In reality this doesn't happen.

If there was some way of hard-coding people into your alliance it might be work better?

Like you can have a 10 man private gal, but in return you get 5 randoms and they are forced into whichever alliances have the majority in the galaxy (by ratio). If you don't go for the 10 man private gal, then you get to stick with a 5 man buddypack instead with 10 randoms (who arent hardcoded into your alliance).

Of course this leaves us wide open for spies etc, but then it's something alliances would have to (if they chose to) work around.
I'd say the current setup would be as good as it gets, I happen to be in a gal with 'good' exiles this round. We had 5 guys exile in who did not have an alliance and did not play at all or like in r 3/4. We paid for 4 of those guys accounts, 1 paid for himself, got them an alliance and they're happily participating in attacks/defence/irc/etc. How will this be possible when you get fortress gals (either with 5-6 ppl or be it with 15.)?
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2006, 11:45   #44
WeaponX
Legends live forever

WeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to beholdWeaponX is a splendid one to behold

make bp´s bigger would maybe be a solution for the ones that want to keep the random factor and for the ones who are in favour of being able to play with more friends, + being not that reliable on getting good exiles
Unread 10 May 2006, 14:39   #45
Caj
speed demon

Caj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really nice

leave it as it is, best it can be at the minute.
Round 20 - Rank 7 - Destiny (Zik)
Round 24 - Rank 2 - Conspiracy (Xan)
Round 28 - Rank 4 - Ascendancy (Xan)
Round 66 - Rank 9 - Ultores (Etd)
Round 83 - Rank 10 - #METOO (Zik)
Round 85 - Rank 3 - QQ (Etd)
Round 89 - Rank 2 - VGN (Zik)
Round 91 - Rank 9 - VGN (Zik)
Caj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2006, 15:46   #46
Storebo
Adelante

Storebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNaga
You mean incluster attacks. I don't think that would be a good idea, it will add yet another luck factor to the game.
It would make the game more social..
R4 170:17:3 [Elysium ]
R5 12:10:18 [Elysium ]
R6 25:10:3 [Elysium ]
R7 31:20:2 [Elysium ] / [Adelante ]
R8 45:2:7 [Adelante ] / [Fury ]
R9 13:7:9 [NoS ] / [Lch ]
R9.5 and R10 dunno where [Elysium ]
R11 21:1:6 [1up]
[1up]
Storebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2006, 15:57   #47
JonnyBGood
Banned

Personally I'd love to spend a round in a galaxy with nine or ten people I know and like. It's what makes PA fun.
Unread 10 May 2006, 16:15   #48
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I actually think it's better that we have fortresses that are bastard hard to make because there is a luck element, rather than having one by design.

Quote:
Personally I'd love to spend a round in a galaxy with nine or ten people I know and like. It's what makes PA fun.
While this is true, the effect on the game in general would be to polarise it further, which would mean that rounds finish quicker and strongholds would more or less become the norm, with the majority of randoms cast adrift.

I'd love to have this proposal, it's very convenient for me. But it would just screw up alliance warfare so badly and cast the community from newbie to elite so far apart it just wouldn't really work in my opinion.

Whoever mentioned incluster attacks. Incluster attacks are nothing about luck, it's about how organised you can be. An organised group of 2 or 3 galaxies with alliance support can have a cluster under their iron fist in a very short space of time, and pretty much go the whole round with freedom and occaisonally bitching on their cluster when they have nought better to roid. This also polarises/speeds up the game, and therefore like 10 men private galaxies, is not a good idea in my opinion. The whole point of cluster wars is to break up everyone else's community and make everyone in your cluster quit at being any kind of threat before the first couple of weeks are out.

However, the points about strategy guides and marketing in these threads are pretty much bang on and PA team should take note of them.
Unread 10 May 2006, 16:19   #49
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
I actually think it's better that we have fortresses that are bastard hard to make because there is a luck element, rather than having one by design.
I'd like to make it perfectly clear that I don't give a rat's ass about balance in this question, I'm just sick of exiling and sick of having to deal with galmates that I didn't choose to be with.
Unread 10 May 2006, 16:26   #50
JonnyBGood
Banned

I exiled about 20/25 planets or so this round. I think a few more self-exiled/auto-exiled. We got 2 active paid randoms who use irc and a bunch of unpaid moderately active randoms who don't use irc. I don't even really get to talk to the unpaid non-irc randoms never mind help them out although I have tried encouraging them to use irc. Now I've stopped exiling partly because they're okay and partly because I'm just not bothered anymore