User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Nov 2010, 18:31   #1
PewPewQQ
Google Me.
Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Summer Games Champion, Twelve Swap Champion

PewPewQQ is a jewel in the roughPewPewQQ is a jewel in the roughPewPewQQ is a jewel in the roughPewPewQQ is a jewel in the rough
Website

Hi, i had to create and design a website for a hotel company for my ICT coursework in college, and i just wanted your views and opinions on it. If you dont mind giving tips/recommendations/changes i should make please leave a reply it will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Link to the website:

http://glynpankhaniah.glyn-applied-ict.co.uk/

PewPewQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2010, 21:33   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Website

Okay, I was going to do an anonymous driveby (hey guys!), and I've been away for a bit so perhaps I am being trolled here, or perhaps I'm being insensitive because everyone but me knows you're the resident special child, but what?

If you designed this site as part of an ICT course which involved teaching you anything remotely related to design, you should ask for your money back and claim for damages, because there really isn't anything here that I could even begin to mention as a positive.

I'll not even touch on the HTML code (1996 called, they want their tables and javascript image preloaders back) although I am dying to know why some pages have an HTML 4.01 transitional doctype and some an XHTML 1.0 strict one, disregarding the fact that they don't validate as either!

You've created a page informing the world about a cosy little cottage to spend some vacation time in, and you chose to use grey as the primary color for that cosy vacation feeling? Adding a dashing bit of light blue for that warmth? What are those horses doing there? Is this a vacation cottage or the headquarters of some cluster alliance from the fearsome year 2000? Why isn't there a picture showing me Bromswinstershirewick Manor on the front page? Why doesn't the "About us" page say what Bromschester-upon-Avon Manor actually is? Why is text all large and bolded and propped up against those horrible tables like a fat man in a really tight dining chair? Why is there a page where an image is falling off the table, unless it symbolizes the fall of HTML in this abomination of a website? Why is there a second identical menu in text at the bottom of the page and if you realised that the graphical menu at the top might not be the best idea why did you not fix that instead?

If this really was made by you and really is up for review as part of your coursework, you need to go to w3schools.com, learn yourself some HTML and CSS and try to pick up some fundamentals on good design or put some thought into the use of colour and images. HTML and CSS are not very difficult to learn and will be a lot of use if you're going to do anything ICT-related.

Because at this stage your teacher will not so much be marking this website as grading his own level of incompetence.

(Sorry if you're special.)
Unread 15 Nov 2010, 18:55   #3
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

It's in Bromschester upon Avon.

Duh..

Although I would essentially agree with Leshy in pretty much every respect, except that 1996 probably didn't call for a variety of relativity related reasons.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2010, 22:21   #4
PewPewQQ
Google Me.
Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Summer Games Champion, Twelve Swap Champion

PewPewQQ is a jewel in the roughPewPewQQ is a jewel in the roughPewPewQQ is a jewel in the roughPewPewQQ is a jewel in the rough

Its the first time ive created and designed a website so yeah theres gonna be alot wrong with it, so thanks for the feedback

Unread 17 Nov 2010, 00:30   #5
Maladoni
Infrequent

Maladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud of

Makes me want to eat smoked duck right now
Unread 17 Nov 2010, 09:43   #6
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy View Post
Because at this stage your teacher will not so much be marking this website as grading his own level of incompetence.
Nice bombing bro.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2010, 13:33   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

On the upside, yours is probably the 3rd best in your class (although number #1 and #2 are way ahead)
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2010, 21:58   #8
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is this Unit 2 of the OCR Nationals course?

If so then as long as you do the other crud that comes with it (planning, evaluating, testing it) then it's a Distinction.
Unread 17 Nov 2010, 21:59   #9
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

oh wait you're year 13

i'd post some of my year 11 websites but i'm at home and i really can't be bothered

At least the technicians at your college/school are providing FTP access to your teacher so you have a subdomain name. It's more than we have at mine!
Unread 17 Nov 2010, 22:32   #10
PewPewQQ
Google Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat View Post
Is this Unit 2 of the OCR Nationals course?

If so then as long as you do the other crud that comes with it (planning, evaluating, testing it) then it's a Distinction.
Unit 13 - Website management or some shit...

Unread 19 Nov 2010, 16:56   #11
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Funniest thing I found

8. Neck Fillet Stake <<

Must be a place for Vampires.

Stake is spelled Steak when referring to meat, and as far as I am aware in my vast experience of working in a Butchers I have yet to see a "Neck Fillet" it would be interesting to see one.

As for the website, no idea not my thing at all, but if that were a real website for a Hotel? I would stay at the Travel Lodge.
Unread 19 Nov 2010, 17:51   #12
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd say functionally it is a good website. It has clear navigation although there's not much content.

Design wise it is pretty decent for an amateur. Text is readable and well sized. Colors aren't atrocious, dark text on light background is great. You're not trying too hard and keeping it simple. The gradients and blue work. If you want to move up to the next level eliminate the borders everywhere, or make them look better. Also add padding between text and borders you don't want text touching the sides of your containers. The pegasus image is confusing, I have no idea what that's supposed to be. The links on the bottom need styling, they're just the default html colors. You have to target link colors directly, they'll not get the default font styling. These small changes will go a long way. I think with these changes yours would be getting up there with the ones nodrod pointed out, but you can still learn something from how they've done it.

Code wise, jesus please stop using Dreamweaver.
Unread 20 Nov 2010, 18:36   #13
Maladoni
Infrequent

Maladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Funniest thing I found

8. Neck Fillet Stake <<

Must be a place for Vampires.
That might explain why there's no sole on the menu.