User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Jan 2003, 16:52   #1
RiCo

Why does anyone care about a war?

Well.. on topic, why do you care?
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 16:56   #2
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
because war is a bad thing
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:04   #3
Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed is infamous around these partsMr. Ed is infamous around these parts
shut up.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:04   #4
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
i dont care either way

both situations are amusing
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:05   #5
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Beacause people dying is bad.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:15   #6
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Price of petrol/gas will go up.

DAMN.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:15   #7
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I'm not bothered.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:19   #8
RiCo

Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
Beacause people dying is bad.
But hundred of thousands die every day from starvation all over the world. Do you really care about it? I think you care more about your pet than any of those.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:21   #9
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by RiCo
But hundred of thousands die every day from starvation all over the world. Do you really care about it? I think you care more about your pet than any of those.
I don't have any pets.
And yes, i care about them as well.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:22   #10
Šiscorporation

I'm against
It'll seriously compromise my chances for entertainment..
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:26   #11
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all

Dateline January 22nd, 2007.

Wahhabist Islamic Regime Takes Power

After a brutal civil war lasting 3 years and costing an estimated 80,000 lived, the new government of Iraq officially took power yesterday in a ceremony which took place in a new Mosque unveiled in central Baghdad. The new Islamic regime promised a return to order and reconstruction of the shattered state, and neighbours Jordan, Syria and Saudi Arabia have already promised millions of dollars in aid to aid reconstruction. Though the state has taken a moderate tone in its first speech, and spoken entirely of internal matters, there can be little doubt of the massive swell of resentment against the United States and the West, who supported the now-deposed republican regime. With the secular government of Iraqi Leader Saddam Hussein destroyed in 2003, the American-built republican government did its best to remain outside the Islamic world. However, massive domestic and regional pressure in Iraq, combined with the shifting of focus of the United States to North Korea following the Seoul Disaster meant the new regime had little chance of holding onto power. Like the Russian puppet government in Afghanistan in the 1990's, it was soon besieged by Islamic forces bent on taking control of the oil-rich state.

International experts are concerned that with the major oil-producing nations of the Middle East unified under a religious authority, the ability of the West to keep these states in competition has been greatly diminished. One senior White house official, who wished to remain unnamed stated: "The fact that these nations were as afraid of Iraq as they were of the US meant that OPEC was a fractional power. Now with Iraq and Saudi Arabia tightly aligned, and most of the smaller oil-producing states in the region as well, their only source of fear is Israel and the United States. Even Iran, whose government is part of a different Islamic sect, finds itself isolated and forced to side with the central-Middle Eastern block.

With Oil prices having increased 60% since the new Iraqi regime took power, many are saying that the United States should have put more effort into effective post-war reconstruction and governance rather than simply assuring the ownership of lucrative oil contracts, most of which have now been cancelled by the new Islamic Iraqi government.

With Islamic terrorism and in the West on the rise, following the high profile destruction of Canary Warf in London last year, many are saying that this new Islamic solidification of the Middle East can bring nothing but trouble to the already beleaguered Western nations.

Associated Press / Vermillion

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:26   #12
RiCo

Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
I don't have any pets.
And yes, i care about them as well.
You know what I meant. We distance ourselfs from all the world evils. The way I see it, a good war is just another source for entertainment.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:28   #13
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
You know what I meant. We distance ourselfs from all the world evils. The way I see it, a good war is just another source for entertainment.
True, but i dont try to distrackt me at all. The only reason, is that my weak mind would be destroyed instantly if i had opened up for it all.
I still do whatever i can to help people that are in need.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 17:53   #14
RiCo

Quote:
Originally posted by Vermillion
-Valid points-
In other words, you are concerned what the war might bring for the future?
I must say, each time you make a comment, it's close to bulletproof. Impressive.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 18:14   #15
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
because as humans we are attempting to strive out of the dark ages, and have a bit of empathy. Death, is distressing. Murder, or Bombings, or death via an unneccesary war, is horrific, and will be on our heads, as it will be carried out by our countrymen.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 18:21   #16
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
because as humans we are attempting to strive out of the dark ages, and have a bit of empathy. Death, is distressing. Murder, or Bombings, or death via an unneccesary war, is horrific, and will be on our heads, as it will be carried out by our countrymen.
but what defines "necessary?" That's the real question. Often, the public isn't aware of reasons that things occur or even that they DO occur.

The potential in many situations is lost in feel good politics and pacifist whining. People forget that stopping things BEFORE they happen is often far more important. Being PROactive instead of REactive can save far more lives.

I do agree with Vermillion though. The reason we didn't remove Saddam the first time is still the situation. Trade one predictable asshole dictator for one unpredictable asshole fanatic and we've not helped the world one bit.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 18:51   #17
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
I do agree with Vermillion though. The reason we didn't remove Saddam the first time is still the situation. Trade one predictable asshole dictator for one unpredictable asshole fanatic and we've not helped the world one bit.
How about if the choice were between one predictable asshole dictator with nukes vs. one unpredictable asshole fanatic without nukes?

I think the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction--especially nuclear weapons--is not going to do the world any good at all, because sooner or later one of these assholes is going to use them.

I actually hope I'm wrong about that; but that's the way I see it.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 18:55   #18
RiCo

We are heading for the inevitable doomsday. All will die in a blastering inferno of flames. Just like the bible proclaimed. Is it an act of God then?

I've enjoyed a couple of the Wheel of Time series latly. This does remind me of the 'pattern' wich Robert Jordan's fiction is based. Either we do or don't, but every action has a reaction.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 18:56   #19
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

The reason we didn't remove Saddam the first time was because Bush had said that wasn't out purpose, The UN mandate authorising the action said that wasn't the purpose, and the coalition behind the madate would have collapsed if we had tried to do it, together with the fact that there can be no assurances that any Post-Saddam regime will be better, as Verm points out.

There were many reasons. Many of them are still quite relevant today.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 19:13   #20
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Oh, and I'm still wondering what's going to happen to Afghanistan over the long-term. Liberal Democracy is practically impossible to sustain in a place like that.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 19:18   #21
RiCo

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
Oh, and I'm still wondering what's going to happen to Afghanistan over the long-term. Liberal Democracy is practically impossible to sustain in a place like that.
They should have bloody nuked them when they where at it. Either you do it throughout, or don't do it at all. You can't really wage war against a country for one mans action, however much supportive that land is towards the terrorist. And if so, you can attack ~every other muslim country based on the same reasoning.

Edit: That came out sligthly wrong. But the point is, that the reasoning behind the attack on Afghanistan is not valid, atleast equally unvalid as attacking the Twin Towers. The same is happening in Iraq and they could very well fight the same war under a different name. I would summarise it as a quest for oil.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 19:19   #22
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
They should have bloody nuked them when they where at it. Either you do it throughout, or don't do it at all. You can't really wage war against a country for one mans action, however much supportive that land is towards the terrorist. And if so, you can attack ~every other muslim country based on the same reasoning.
Now yer talkin', son!
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 19:22   #23
RiCo

Quote:
Now yer talkin', son!
\o/ Would you go as far as telling me I'm actually making some sense ?
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 19:24   #24
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
\o/ Would you go as far as telling me I'm actually making some sense ?
No.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 19:25   #25
oldtown
Volcano

oldtown is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The reason we didn't remove Saddam the first time was because Bush had said that wasn't out purpose, The UN mandate authorising the action said that wasn't the purpose, and the coalition behind the madate would have collapsed if we had tried to do it, together with the fact that there can be no assurances that any Post-Saddam regime will be better, as Verm points out.

True, however you conveniently skipped the fact that in addition to the above Hussein signed an agreement which ended the war. He had many things he had to do to assure there wouldnt be a problem with future aggression..the main issue being he wouldnt continue any of his weapons of mass destruction programs........he has yet to fulfill any of his promises and with each passing day comes closer to landing the biggest prize ...Nuclear weapons.........If he isnt removed now , down the line we will be right where we are at this moment with the only difference being hussein will have nukes and no one will be able to do a thing about any tyranny he acts out cause he will have ability to wipe out his neighbors.......That is certainly not a situation i want to be looking at down the line...
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 19:29   #26
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by oldtown
True, however you conveniently skipped the fact that in addition to the above Hussein signed an agreement which ended the war.
Errr, so we had an 'agreement' forced on us that stopped us from deposing him, if we'd have wanted to press ahead?

Quote:
He had many things he had to do to assure there wouldnt be a problem with future aggression...etc
All that tends to assume that he is a naturally aggressive nutcase, and not just a great oppurtunist. Not to mention that we can't actually disarm him peacefully, both of which I disagree on.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 19:45   #27
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:

The reasoning for the entire for NOT removing him, or rather setting the purpose of the force to a smaller goal was largely due to the political climate at the time.

Shi'ite Muslims were in a strong position to take control if Saddam was deposed. The Shi'ite sect of Islam is extremely militant and has been lead by notables such as the Ayatollah Khomeini. This would largely have the effect of doubling the size and power of Iran, which is on the "worst case scenario" list for most western nations.

We had a choice: Secular, predictable nutcase on a leash or Militant Fanatic with the backing of one of the largest religions in the world. The choice was easy and probably the best for the time. We probably also believed that Saddam would act like a whipped dog and go along with whatever was required to keep him in power.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 19:55   #28
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
The reasoning for the entire for NOT removing him, or rather setting the purpose of the force to a smaller goal was largely due to the political climate at the time.

Shi'ite Muslims were in a strong position to take control if Saddam was deposed. The Shi'ite sect of Islam is extremely militant and has been lead by notables such as the Ayatollah Khomeini. This would largely have the effect of doubling the size and power of Iran, which is on the "worst case scenario" list for most western nations.

We had a choice: Secular, predictable nutcase on a leash or Militant Fanatic with the backing of one of the largest religions in the world. The choice was easy and probably the best for the time. We probably also believed that Saddam would act like a whipped dog and go along with whatever was required to keep him in power.
I think you're missing the larger realpolitik concern that nobody really wanted Saddam deposed at that time, Shi'ites or no. There wasn't a huge hankering for nation building in The Middle East, and other states around Iraq were cautious about what such an action would mean. They still are, really.

I think you're also overstressing the importance that The US then placed on non-Iranian fanatics being a security risk. Communists were still very much still the international baddies at that point. (Not for much longer, though.)

And I'm not sure about the Shi'ite thing. Iraq is, after all, a largely Sunni, secularist state.

And even if they had taken over Iraq, (I'm not sure who would have let them, after Iraq was conquered and NATO security forces were established in the place.) then I doubt very much that they would have been able to build an effective Islamic alliance with Iran. I'm remined of The Taliban's relations with Iran at this point. Realpolitik will always win over ideology. The China-USSR split, The Nazi-Soviet pact, etc, etc...
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 20:00   #29
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
How about if the choice were between one predictable asshole dictator with nukes vs. one unpredictable asshole fanatic without nukes?
As far as any evidence I'm aware of, Saddam Hussein does not have nukes, and is not likely to get nukes in the near future. Nukes + the missile program to go with them can't exactly be hidden under a mattress.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 20:10   #30
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
http://www.idleworm.com/nws/2002/11/iraq2.shtml
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 21:57   #31
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
As far as any evidence I'm aware of, Saddam Hussein does not have nukes, and is not likely to get nukes in the near future. Nukes + the missile program to go with them can't exactly be hidden under a mattress.
Actually, Iraq has proven to be quite adept at hiding many aspects of its nuclear weapons program--even while "cooperating" with inspections.

Four years of on-site inspections (1991-1995) failed to uncover large parts of Iraq's nuclear weapons program. It wasn't until the defection of Saddam's son-in-law, Hussein Kamel, in 1995 that we started learning just how extensive and far along it was--much further along than any of the "experts" thought (here's a brief description of Iraq's efforts at deception).

It's is almost certainly true that Iraq does not have nuclear weapons--yet; but I think it is also true that we don't really know how far along they are.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 22:00   #32
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I'm up for a jolly good war.

TOP BANANA!

(where did they put that smilie )
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 22:01   #33
Casey Kasem

That last song was dedicated to our brave boys about to go into iraq, dont forget your gas masks guys.
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 00:30   #34
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Quote:
We are heading for the inevitable doomsday. All will die in a blastering inferno of flames. Just like the bible proclaimed. Is it an act of God then?

I've enjoyed a couple of the Wheel of Time series latly. This does remind me of the 'pattern' wich Robert Jordan's fiction is based. Either we do or don't, but every action has a reaction.
I grew up with the idea that I was going to be blasted out of existence by nuclear weapons from the Soviet Union. Then for about 10 years it looked like we would not face that death. Now it's back. Live with it.

Next Wheel of time comes out in February I believe. About a year late. Hope it comes before the nukes.

Peace out.
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 00:47   #35
RiCo

Quote:
Originally posted by Texan
I grew up with the idea that I was going to be blasted out of existence by nuclear weapons from the Soviet Union. Then for about 10 years it looked like we would not face that death. Now it's back. Live with it.

Next Wheel of time comes out in February I believe. About a year late. Hope it comes before the nukes.

Peace out.
I was merly drawing parallels to how action has a reaction. Your quoting me off topic.
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 01:26   #36
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Quote:
Originally posted by Texan
it's been out for about 17 days now and it sucks.

As for the nukes bit, Americans tend to be VERY touchy about them considering we lived in the nuclear shadow for so long. So nuclear proliferation is not just about "we have them and you don't" but more about "those who have them are not very likely to use them"
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 13:44   #37
RiCo

Quote:
True, however you conveniently skipped the fact that in addition to the above Hussein signed an agreement which ended the war. He had many things he had to do to assure there wouldnt be a problem with future aggression..the main issue being he wouldnt continue any of his weapons of mass destruction programs........he has yet to fulfill any of his promises and with each passing day comes closer to landing the biggest prize ...Nuclear weapons.........If he isnt removed now , down the line we will be right where we are at this moment with the only difference being hussein will have nukes and no one will be able to do a thing about any tyranny he acts out cause he will have ability to wipe out his neighbors.......That is certainly not a situation i want to be looking at down the line...
How come you think you know more than the ones who keep many parts of the truths out there from the public? Do you honestly believe you know more than them?
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 13:57   #38
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Why not? Why should not another nation have that bargaining power when you do?