User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 7 Oct 2006, 16:06   #1
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Aliens!

Assuming aliens exist, and they are advanced to a similar level as ours.

They are carbonbased lifeforms, so they need to eat/drink similar to us.

How much do you think our cultures would have in common? Would aliens play football, work out, and drink beer? Or shit brooding on the domination of the universe all the time? Would they listen to music, watch movies? Or maybe they don't hear, or detect other spectres of electromagnetic radiation?

Or maybe they're just silly, and they go stomp each other with chairs all day long (if they sit like us), and maybe they even have crime problems.

This is meant to be a fun thread, so please share your creativity.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2006, 19:09   #2
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of
Re: Aliens!

You forgot to mention, do you think they reproduce such as our species, and if so could we cross breed with them. Also, do you think they have mosquitos?
Unread 7 Oct 2006, 19:22   #3
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

They could be silicon based I think, which would make them much different to us.

I doubt you could cross breed with them, we can't with other species on earth for example.
Unread 7 Oct 2006, 20:30   #4
Maladoni
Infrequent

Maladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud ofMaladoni has much to be proud of

Didn't we send them all to Australia?
Unread 7 Oct 2006, 21:12   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon_Fodder
They could be silicon based I think
Whilst some types of life use silicon based reactions, the range of reactions which silicon can undergo is so much smaller than that of carbon that silicon-based life could not create anything with a complexity similar to that we see of this planet's carbon-based life. For example, silicon cannot create six (or more) membered rings in the way that carbon can. Silicon cannot create long chain molecules, whereas carbon can. Silicon cannot easily bond using its pi orbitals, meaning that it cannot have double and triple bonds in the way that carbon can.

There are, of course, additional, yet more specific and in cases trivial, objections to it, such as the lack of an analogy to the carbon cycle (the one in plants/whathaveyou, not the theorised method of fusion).
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2006, 03:08   #6
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

While all this silicons jibberish is way out of my league, I'm pretty sure aliens would be quite similar, with all the wars and religions and such. Apart from maybe a few external differences, they'll be the same ****ed up beings we are.
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2006, 03:27   #7
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Not if they were working under some sort of hive mind influence. I actually read a book recently which showed an excellent form of a hive mind alien. (Pandora's Star, concluded in Judas Unchained if anyone likes a really really really good space opera). The author described the invading aliens in a hive mind mentality, where survival was the only thing that motivated the entire civilisation. I personally found that a stimulating read. And slightly relevant o/
Unread 8 Oct 2006, 11:40   #8
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladoni

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2006, 14:24   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladoni
And we're all the better for it!
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2006, 23:03   #10
Malice
not the daddy...

Malice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to beholdMalice is a splendid one to behold

I've always found romance in the idea that if there is such a thing as alien life, it will be a bio-technology...such as a spacefaring bacteria or spore. Seeds if you will. Much easier to broadcast than, let's say, a fleet of ships.
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 18:53   #11
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab
Or sit brooding on the domination of the universe all the time?
If they are at all like us then they would not be thinking of dominating the universe until they discovered another life form against whom they could compete. If we run into another carbon-based life form, those f***ers had better watch out!"

Quote:
Would they listen to music?
Where do you think rap and hip hop come from if not from some alien life form?
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 23:01   #12
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
What basis do you have for this hypothesis?
It would just be the most obvious way, more obvious then a world at peace atleast (imo).
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 23:02   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoom
It would just be the most obvious way, more obvious then a world at peace atleast (imo).
False dichotomy.
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 23:11   #14
Stoom
Bragpack™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
False dichotomy.
Fair enough, yet I just expressed my thoughts about it, as asked in the starting post. Although I don't have any arguments, wouldn't you think it is more likely?
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 23:22   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Fair enough, yet I just expressed my thoughts about it, as asked in the starting post. Although I don't have any arguments, wouldn't you think it is more likely?
I don't know. There are a large number of things in human society which are either artifacts of cultural chance or some specific event in evolution. The large number of differences even between human societies makes it somewhat difficult to guess what a totally alien, intelligent, species would be like.
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 23:29   #16
Stoom
Bragpack™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I don't know. There are a large number of things in human society which are either artifacts of cultural chance or some specific event in evolution. The large number of differences even between human societies makes it somewhat difficult to guess what a totally alien, intelligent, species would be like.
True, but all those cultures have one thing in common, the urge for survival and/or conquest. Which is the main reason why I presume it's similar to races in the universe.
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 23:32   #17
Stoom
Bragpack™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
True, though sadly there's not much evidence of you thinking about it to any great degree, but thanks for your time.
Quote:
This is meant to be a fun thread, so please share your creativity.
Please share your views then if you don't want me posting here...
Unread 11 Oct 2006, 06:11   #18
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Aliens may also have some form(s) of religeon.

Depending on how similar or different their planet is they may be able to see different parts of the light spectrum. We could blind them with our IR remote controls.

If their gravity is greater than ours they could be much stronger than us.

They may be able to breathe in water.

Something really spicy(HOT) to us might be like salt to them.

They could be allergic to sugar.

They could have eyes like a cat.

Their genitals could be on their fingers.

They could be cloned.

They could have any variety of genetic enhancements.

They could have tails or horns.

They may play sports we never imagined.

Their "beer" could taste like chocolate but be 10 times more alcholic than whiskey.

They could use their own bodies as musical instruments.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2006, 07:20   #19
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
Their "beer" could taste like chocolate but be 10 times more alcholic than whiskey.
This alone makes me hope there is life out there.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2006, 09:33   #20
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
Aliens may also have some form(s) of religeon.
Here's a real thumper for you, what if the aliens have the same religion as we do.
Quote:
If their gravity is greater than ours they could be much stronger than us.
Speak for yourself.
Quote:
They may be able to breathe in water.
We have inventions allowing us to do this also.
Quote:
Something really spicy(HOT) to us might be like salt to them.
Or are salt could be really spicy(HOT) to them.
Quote:
They could be allergic to sugar.
Going back to the whole carbon based life forms theory, sugar is essentially made up of different carbon molecules, so it's highly improbable they would be.
Quote:
They could have eyes like a cat.
Or color-blind like dogs.
Quote:
Their genitals could be on their fingers.
Don't be giving any ideas to Michael Jackson.
Quote:
They could be cloned.
See previous response.
Quote:
They could have any variety of genetic enhancements.
Or failed attempts, again Michael Jackson.
Quote:
They could have tails or horns.
Wonder if they involuntarilly wag there tails when they're excited.
Quote:
They may play sports we never imagined.
Or they could have two sports in different countries with the same name and bicker over which one is better.
Quote:
I'm sure half of the people who read this forum, or play the game are thinking they want to try to achieve this on there own.
Quote:
They could use their own bodies as musical instruments.
We can do that too, it's called whistling. There's also armpit farting, but does that really qualify as music...
Unread 11 Oct 2006, 10:21   #21
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
True, but all those cultures have one thing in common, the urge for survival and/or conquest.
You mean like all life?
Unread 11 Oct 2006, 13:55   #22
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
Going back to the whole carbon based life forms theory, sugar is essentially made up of different carbon molecules, so it's highly improbable they would be.
So true. There have been less than 10 people worldwide known to have been allergic to sugar. My wife said her father was one of these people and he had to be extremely careful with everything he ate. He could handle some carbohydrates but others would make him react. He could not eat straight sugar in any form such as fruit juice or sugar cane granules. Odds of being allergic to sugar are about 714,285,714 to 1.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote