User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 Jun 2006, 03:04   #1
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The Dole

I have just graduated from University.

I don't have a job.

I have no money.

AH HA I have a genius idea, why dont I go sign on.

So today I phoned up the job centre and enquired about "signing on" I explained my situation and told the lady that I had just graduated etc etc etc. She told me that I couldnt sign on without a letter from my University to say that I had finished University.

I asked her "What do I do with this letter?" She merely replied "Read it out over the phone." Puzzled I said my goodbyes and hung up. Moments later I hit the redial button. This time success a male voice at the end of the telephone. I did the same thing, explained my situation and with him there was no problems.

You see that's the problem with women, when they are on the period or are experiencing mood swings or some other hormonal shite they are twats to you and will try and make your life as difficult as possible. On a good day they will go far for you, but when you speak to a bloke you won't get bullshit.

The man (named Peter) asked me a few generic questions. I answered them and then today (Tuesday) in the afternoon the job centre will phone me up and I will have to give over a few specific details like Bank details, details of my last job, my aspirations in life and I'm sure my hopes and fears as well.

Then come Friday I go to the job centre have an interview, tick a few boxes, sign some paper, look for a job but perhaps most importantly get £44 then in two weeks time £88.

Now I have several friends who like myself have graduated from University. Like myself dont have a job. However are refusing to sign on because they don't want to sponge off the state and think it harms your employmant chances and appears on something called "Your record" (I thought you could only have a criminal record, but apparently according to a few of my friends theres some magical employment record which keeps track of when your employed/unemployed and claiming benefits, im yet to be won over but you never know...GD please enlighten me on that).

Personally I see nothing wrong with it. I have paid my national insurance contributions and taxes. My parents pay taxes. My sisters pay taxes. I am unemployed. I am looking for a job, so I shall claim what is rightfully mine which is "Job Seekers Allowance" which basically is some money to help me live and find a job I guess.

As my dad put it, if your friends want to effectively burn £44 a week, let them. He is absolutely right in my opinion. Im entitled to it and i'm claiming it. God bless Britain.

My question to you GD, do you regard signing on as a Shameful act? Would you Sign on? Do you share the same feelings as my friends or do you see it from my perspective?
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 04:05   #2
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: The Dole

LIsten, I've worked shit jobs for 7 years to put myself through school and college respectivly, I've paid teh equivalent of €32k in social insurance here in Ireland over that period of time. Yet now that I've finished college and can't find a career orientated job I'm deemed undesirable and unsocialbe because I'm claiming social welfare.

I'm sorry but I want a decent ****ing job. I've stacked shelves, helped old people, solved IT problems, lifted boxes, picked up litter and helped anyone who needed it in my little jobs.
I couldn't give a flying **** about anyone now. Everyone's shit on me, my degree is worthless, my experience is worthless, my life up till this point is one of base labour and will not change in the future...as no-one will give me a job.
My "experience" of two + years is inapplicable apparently.
My willingness to do anything is not accepted.

I'm on the dole as we speak but will get cut off in the next month, even though I've paid seven years worth of national insurance claims into the system.

Clearly you're only worth what they deem you you to be.

And clearly I'm currently worthless.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 05:16   #3
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
My question to you GD, do you regard signing on as a Shameful act? Would you Sign on? Do you share the same feelings as my friends or do you see it from my perspective?
Having been through plenty of shit jobs post, during and pre college/university and having to pay tax on that income, i see no shame in signing on. Infact, i'm signing on at the moment too.

It wasn't a very pleasant feeling to go to the job centre and sign on that very first time - like i was doing something shameful, funnily enough - but in the end it's necessary, it won't be for ever and that's what it's there for.

I'm curious to know how your friends intend to fund their living costs, what with not being in work nor signing on.

(Have no idea about the 'Your Record' thing, i just thought that was something they tried to scare you with at school.)
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 05:27   #4
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
My "experience" of two + years is inapplicable apparently.
My willingness to do anything is not accepted.

I'm on the dole as we speak but will get cut off in the next month, even though I've paid seven years worth of national insurance claims into the system.

Clearly you're only worth what they deem you you to be.

And clearly I'm currently worthless.
Well, not until next month; for now they still consider you worthy to keep alive.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 05:41   #5
Ephor
Monkey Man

Ephor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond repute

Benefit workers are a very mixed lot, but I'm fairly certain they're trained to 'weed out' suspicious claims and make the process generally unappealing. Of course this is ridiculous as the atmosphere only refines the talents of the giro poachers while making it difficult for first time claimants. I once received an on-the-spot analysis of my choice to study philosophy from an art grad who had taken a philosophy of art module while she was wasting everyone's oxygen at an english polytechnic or something, and this treatment isn't out of line with the job centre's general policy of undermining patronism. Don't ever expect to be treated like an adult there.

There's more bad news on the career advice front, because unless you're depressingly average or comedically alternative you won't get any. Why does the government insist on appointing such people to lure the 'fringes' back into society?

Now that's a fairly well-developed (though perhaps not entirely convincing) reason not to sign on. A stupid reason to not sign on would go something like a fool's pride. An appropriate way of displaying your wisdom to your poverty-stricken brethren would be spending your allowance on alcohol at a local public house. If this should not suffice, offer to buy your stubborn friend a drink at Her Majesty's expense.

While I suppose benefit is recorded, I'd doubt this information is freely available to employers without a detailed background check. In any case, it seems like a non-issue and I don't know what there is to fear - if anything I'd consider the strength of character displayed by rejecting the image of benefit a positive trait. It'd only look bad if you were claiming for a long period, but as I recall jobseeker's allowance only extends for six months. In any case, if you do earnestly look for employment I doubt it will take you long to find it.
Ephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 05:51   #6
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It is a pretty stupid idea to imagine that people will just hand you a job coming out of college. An education is just a minimum requirement, if anything at all unless you are an engineer or of the like. You have to go out there and find someway that you can contribute in a way that someone will pay you for it. Willing to do 'anything' is nice but are you really out there, finding out what people need? Go be useful, go learn a useful trait, get some experience, until someone decides they need someone like you. Employers still need people, you cannot run a business without them. An employee is in the business of selling themselves, and what do you have for sale?
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 07:04   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
An employee is in the business of selling themselves, and what do you have for sale?
Some kidneys and a gallbladder I'm not exactly see a bright future for?
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 07:34   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
However are refusing to sign on because they don't want to sponge off the state and think it harms your employmant chances and appears on something called "Your record" (I thought you could only have a criminal record, but apparently according to a few of my friends theres some magical employment record which keeps track of when your employed/unemployed and claiming benefits, im yet to be won over but you never know...GD please enlighten me on that).
This is utter shit. Of course, if you have massive gaps on your CV (i.e. you finish Uni in June 2006 and then start work in June 2008) your prospective employer may want to know what the hell you were doing. If you say "I was sitting on my arse watching Neighbours twice a day" they may not be impressed.

Quote:
My question to you GD, do you regard signing on as a Shameful act?
No, of course not. However, the act of signing on is fairly depressing - the atmosphere in any benefits office I've been in as always been a strange mix of hopelessness and repressed violence. The entire process is indirectly designed to be as strangely complicated as possible and application forms in excess of ten pages are not unusual. Clearly that's more of a barrier to people with less of an education though (which is the main crime). I wouldn't really see it from the perspective of an "entitlement" (although of course it is, legally speaking) but more that's there's nothing wrong with receiving help in life (if you're the sort of person who would help others).

I attempted to sign on once (after I was made redundant) but I found a job the next day and it was all cancelled. So I've never (directly) been on benefits. If I lost my job I would have no fear in going to sign on, but realistically the £44 a week (or whatever the contributory amount is) wouldn't be enough to pay my way in terms of bills I have etc. So I'd be pretty much be forced to look for some utter shit job in a supermarket first (which is kind of the point of the benefis system I suppose).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 07:44   #9
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i personally have never signed on, and wouldnt unless i absolutely had too, but that is only personal preference.

the record keeping thing is your friends talking shit pig
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 07:47   #10
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I would never sign on because I like to believe that the money saved would somehow help out those poorer than myself. Though I am aware that this may well not be the case.

If someone chooses not to work then I believe they should be allowed not to. It does annoy me as awfully miserly for the state to quibble over £44/week for someone. I'm sure that person will find a way in which he or she could contribute (and paying taxes is not the only way to contribute to a society) and they will certainly be more inclined to contribute if the state has been gracious and caring in their time of need rather than penny pinching and unnecessarily vicious.

Regarding incubusgod: I can understand someone who chooses not to work. Indeed I respect them. Someone with a degree who claims that there are no jobs that he could get is quite simply pathetic (and a bad liar).
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 07:58   #11
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i think that that is a bit harsh on inc yahwe, i know quite a few people who are having real difficulty finding jobs now that they have come out of uni, and the amount of my friends who are actually working in a job related to thier degree are few and far between.
I even know people who have been told that they are too qualified for jobs :/
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 08:11   #12
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There once was a fellow from Cornwall
At job applications was awful
Was lazy as shit
And moaned like a tit
But one must assume he was normal.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 09:10   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
If you want a job then learn to touch type at 60 words per minute, do a 3 day course in SAGE or some book keeping programme and make up some office experience. 10 times more useful than a degree.
Of all the educational qualifications I had on my CV the one that impressed them most was the fact I can touch type at 70 words a minute. Thanks for that internet!
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 09:37   #14
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Moments later I hit the redial button. This time success a male voice at the end of the telephone. I did the same thing, explained my situation and with him there was no problems.
I think this is my favourite part of the whole post. It's excellent (mainly because I've had similar difficulties with people recently regarding car insurance in Jersey - 3 different people told me different things until I got a sensible male on the phone who sorted it all for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
However are refusing to sign on because they don't want to sponge off the state and think it harms your employmant chances and appears on something called "Your record" (I thought you could only have a criminal record, but apparently according to a few of my friends theres some magical employment record which keeps track of when your employed/unemployed and claiming benefits, im yet to be won over but you never know...GD please enlighten me on that).
I think there is a record actually - it's not an "employment" record that employers can look up, but it does appear on your credit history when you have to fill out all the places you have lived in the last 5 years etc.

Unless you're planning to get a mortgage in the next 5 years I don't think it'll affect you at all. That was what I was led to believe though - it could be an urban myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
You'll only be doing it for a couple of months.

It's a "Job Seekers Allowance" - you'll be searching for jobs.

It's a pittance anyway, and you have to prove you're searching for jobs which is actually a real hassle - printing off letters of application and rejection, showing them your CV, going into the job centre once a week. It's probably worth £44 just on that. That's what - 8 hours work in a supermarket?

So no - I think it's fine. I had a job ready for me from university though so haven't been in the same situation. I'd investigate that credit record thing though - it could be true.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 09:39   #15
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you want a job (especially a graduate one) then don't narrow yourself down to living in a particular place.
Saying "I only want a job in Central London" or "I only want a job outside London" or "I only want a job which I can get to on the bus from my parents house" narrows down your choices incredibly.

There are shit loads of jobs out there that anyone can do that pay pretty well. It's all about being flexible, not being lazy and viewing any position as a stepping stone.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 09:42   #16
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I would absolutely not feel shameful. I'd rather get some social support money than starving until I get a job. There's a reason those support systems are in place you know. If I ever get in that situation myself, which I probably will when graduated, I'll sign up instantly.

Like your dad says, your friends are burning those money, stupid as they are. I see no reason for them to feel shameful in recieving support. There's no dishonor in recieving support when you're in a tight situation.

However, I'd feel rather shameful if I were one of those guys/girls that can't be arsed to find themselves a job and just continues to live on social support while they live at home with their parents playing PC-games all day long.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 09:42   #17
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
There are shit loads of jobs out there that anyone can do. It's all about being flexible, not being lazy and viewing any position as a stepping stone.
You were quite happy to relocate to a completely new area following university (as was I - but then I did live in Jersey, what do you expect) though. Some people simply aren't ready/don't want to take that next big step in their lives from university.

As much as university allows you to be free and independent, it's also very limiting and you do live in a bit of a student-bubble. It's easy for you to say relocate because you're completely fine with it - a lot of people aren't, it seems.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 09:52   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

I wonder if I'll have to move when I graduate from clown college
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 10:17   #19
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
You were quite happy to relocate to a completely new area following university (as was I - but then I did live in Jersey, what do you expect) though. Some people simply aren't ready/don't want to take that next big step in their lives from university.

As much as university allows you to be free and independent, it's also very limiting and you do live in a bit of a student-bubble. It's easy for you to say relocate because you're completely fine with it - a lot of people aren't, it seems.
Well they're narrowing their options down then. That's fine, but they might have trouble finding a job they want to do that pays the wages they want.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 10:46   #20
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
If you want a job (especially a graduate one) then don't narrow yourself down to living in a particular place.
Saying "I only want a job in Central London" or "I only want a job outside London" or "I only want a job which I can get to on the bus from my parents house" narrows down your choices incredibly.
Money is worthless without quality of life though. Why would i want to work somewhere I didn't want to live, as that would just make me into an angry ball of contempt. There are some places like London that i'm willing to 'put up' with, you might say a place is what you make of it and I'll tell you that you can't polish a turd. I've pretty much limited myself to a specific 'region' and a city or two outside of that.

Quote:
There are shit loads of jobs out there that anyone can do that pay pretty well. It's all about being flexible, not being lazy and viewing any position as a stepping stone.
While I agree it's better to do any job than get jobseekers, you'll have to define 'flexible' and 'not being lazy'. Are you suggesting that pig should get any job while he's looking for the one he wants, or should get a job anywhere asap just for the sake that it will get him up the corporate ladder?

I think that while pig has no job, he should claim it but he should get any job he can (even if its part time) asap just because it's something that will show up on his CV that he was doing something.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 11:08   #21
Ste
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Money is worthless without quality of life though. Why would i want to work somewhere I didn't want to live, as that would just make me into an angry ball of contempt. There are some places like London that i'm willing to 'put up' with, you might say a place is what you make of it and I'll tell you that you can't polish a turd. I've pretty much limited myself to a specific 'region' and a city or two outside of that.
Oh I don't disagree regarding money v quality of life. My job is good because I get to live in a few different places for 6 months which means I get a range of experiences and there are quite a few cities that I wouldn't mind living for a few years or longer.

I'm trying to say that if you're finding it difficult to find a job that you want to do, that pays what you want and in the location you want then maybe you should broaden your options.
If I was living on £44 a week I don't think I would have a very good quality of life though...

Anyway, aren't you from Portsmouth?

Quote:
While I agree it's better to do any job than get jobseekers, you'll have to define 'flexible' and 'not being lazy'. Are you suggesting that pig should get any job while he's looking for the one he wants, or should get a job anywhere asap just for the sake that it will get him up the corporate ladder?

I think that while pig has no job, he should claim it but he should get any job he can (even if its part time) asap just because it's something that will show up on his CV that he was doing something.
That post wasn't really aimed at pig at all. I have no problem with anyone claiming job seekers if they are job seeking.

I agree with you really - look to get a job, preferably relevant to what you want to do, as soon as possible. If this proves difficult then widen the search to (I'm assuming) outside Birmingham.

Unread 20 Jun 2006, 11:10   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Unless you want to do something fairly specialised I don't think wanting to only stay in your home town is particularly unreasonable (unless you come from a hamlet or something)
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 11:14   #23
Ste
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Unless you want to do something fairly specialised I don't think wanting to only stay in your home town is particularly unreasonable (unless you come from a hamlet or something)
I'm not saying it is. But you might have better luck job hunting in other locations.

It all boils down to what your priorities are I guess.
I'm sure if my friends were all living in the same place still I might fancy going back... As it is I think I only know one person (who I give a shit about) who's permanently based in Nottingham at the moment. Not including family of course.

Unread 20 Jun 2006, 11:14   #24
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Signing on is the smart thing to do when out of work. Even if you don’t think you need the £44 a week what alot of people forget is that by signing on they also pay your NI contributions thus ensuring you make enough payments to fulfil to min amount you need to make the year a qualifying year. It may not bother them now but if you don’t make enough it can effect your pension later on if you don’t have enough qualifying years and by going to uni your potentially down 3 years worth already without risking adding to it.

The only problem with signing on though is that the Job Centre seems focused solely on breaking your spirit so your take any old job they offer. When I left uni I ended up being forced to sign on to get the info for a vacancy the job centre were advertising and the £44 was just a bonus. Now they start of nice and not being pushy but after a couple of times signing on they start trying to push anything on you just to get you to stop signing on and the minute you agree to have them print a job out just to get them off your back they stop your payments.

The main problem I had was I was signed up to a number of recruitment agencies as the job centre require. They were getting me a number of temp assignments but it was never enough for me to fully sign off (I just lost that weeks payment but still had the NI paid as my income wasn’t enough for that to be paid from my wages). As such after about 4 month of which id had temp assignments for at least half of it they declared I had now been signing on for long enough to be put on the new deal. After about a week of being on the new deal they announced "you’re being sent on a skill building course" on which they told me I would almost certainly be sent on a work placement in an IT related role to build up some experience. The good thing was they paid you £15 a week more; bad news was it was 6 months long. On the first day they went around the room asking what their career goals were, there were a couple of us whom had computing degrees there and alot of people with degrees in general and as we were looking for IT role they announced that we were to do their IT Course. Their IT course turned out to be CLAIT and ECDL which lets be honest are barely worth the paper they certificate is written on.

We were then sent to the Placement officer whom after a chat declared "No problem we will have you in an IT company or IT department in no time"

Due to lack of computers most of the days were spent sitting there doing nothing. Occasionally people without qualifications would get called to the Placement officer and come out smiling as they had got a work placement in some large superstore but rarely did a qualified person get a call in. During the course I had the recruitment agencies regularly calling me with a temp work of a few days but due to the fact that I was on this course and was only allowed to miss 10 days over the 6 month course which I would need for the interviews for the jobs I was applying for. Over the course a few people got jobs in the area they were after, more took any old job to get off the course and a few like myself hung on to the faint hope that we would get the work placement and the experience we needed. Two weeks before the end of the course I got called into the placement officer’s office. He turned around and went "I might have you a placement, they turned down one person for not being knowledgeable enough but you should be fine and we can extend your course time upto 6 months to allow you to do it". So I asked where and he replies "Game, the computer games shop in town". I politely declined and while I had to put up with both the centre manage and my Job Centre Advisor lecturing me I left the course two weeks later having gained some shitty qualifications and wasting 6 months of my life and having turned down a lot of temp work which could have potentially led to something more permanent all to simply make Blairs employment figures look better

Those 10 months from leaving uni were the worst in my life, thankfully while I’m still temping or working on short term contracts they have been long enough where I have largely been able to stay away from the Job Centre although I do dread having to go back every time my current assignment comes to an end
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 11:31   #25
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

After I left the army (my year was up), I signed up for the dole. I didnt bother trying to get a summer job, feeling I needed some real vacation time (bloody right I did) in the civilized world. Funny thing is, on the dole I got 30quid a day, while in the army I got 8 quid a day.

I felt it was quite apropriate that the state should pay me some money after getting so little while in the army
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 12:50   #26
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Oh I don't disagree regarding money v quality of life. My job is good because I get to live in a few different places for 6 months which means I get a range of experiences and there are quite a few cities that I wouldn't mind living for a few years or longer

I'm trying to say that if you're finding it difficult to find a job that you want to do, that pays what you want and in the location you want then maybe you should broaden your options.
If I was living on £44 a week I don't think I would have a very good quality of life though...

Anyway, aren't you from Portsmouth?
I don't live in Portsmouth itself, but I have to say that in my opinion I live in one of the nicest places in the country. We have the beach, the sea, the countryside and if I want to go to a city Portsmouth and Chichester are 10 minutes away and London is just over an hour, so I have very high standards as to quality of living.

While i don't think anyone should settle for £44 when you can earn more and actually do something, there are places in the country where i could live on compartively little and enjoy living there. The fact I would be earning a lot more money is helpful because I'd be getting paid for the years of education and the ability I (allegedly) possess. However there are places that are not and I wouldn't want to go there because I'd be earning X amount of wedge.

As much as its unfashionable to agree with Yahwe, I put a lot more emphasis on 'value' rather than 'money'.

Quote:
That post wasn't really aimed at pig at all. I have no problem with anyone claiming job seekers if they are job seeking.
I didn't say you were, I was just wondering what kind of job you expected him to get.

Quote:
I agree with you really - look to get a job, preferably relevant to what you want to do, as soon as possible. If this proves difficult then widen the search to (I'm assuming) outside Birmingham.
I don't think this is a case of not moving away, very few are stupid enough to believe they can stay where they are (unless it's London perhaps) and get a job necessarily.

P.S. bold helps you make points on the internet am i rite
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 13:20   #27
Yahwe
I am.

I am perfectly happy with people being on the dole.

What troubles me is all the anger against 'the system' because people are not automatically given the job they want, where they want it, for £100k a year ...

Ste is perfectly correct when he talks about limitting yourself in your job search.

An argument such as "I have to be on the dole because all I can find is jobs I don't like" is quite frankly pathetic. To clarify: I object to the word 'have' which should be replaced by the word 'choose'.

There are plenty of jobs. The system looks after those who choose not to work (those that can not work are better looked after by a different system). If your ego is too big, or your pride too arrogantly enflamed to take a job then you are choosing not to work. That is your choice and one that I think is your right to make. However then complaining about it as though the situation was somehow 'forced upon you' is a lie that I find very annoying indeed.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 13:29   #28
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
My search is widened outside of Birmingham including London, SE, infact anywhere really. Birmingham will of course be my preference as its the greatest city in the world but I am applyng for jobs all over the place. Yesterday I had a job interview as well, I hear back on Friday.

Also Job Centre phoned me today. As promised they had to ask me some questions.

37 minutes later

"I dont know how you managed to get this far, but your local job centre should be doing this, phone them up."

I asked her what she meant, and apparently my local job centre is so big that I have to go there and fill out the forms instead of her being able to sort it out for me. What ashame.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 13:34   #29
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: The Dole

I'd rather give myself bowel surgery with a stick in the woods than ever sign on again. It's not so much the fact of actually being on the dole, it's just that the whole system is mindlessly, insanely burecratic, and the people who the Job Centre actually employs are invariably barely literate semi-chavs who are about as useful to you as taking a swit blow to the groin from Mike Tyson, and yet believe that they are somehow superior to you in every respect.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 13:41   #30
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
My search is widened outside of Birmingham including London, SE, infact anywhere really. Birmingham will of course be my preference as its the greatest city in the world but I am applyng for jobs all over the place. Yesterday I had a job interview as well, I hear back on Friday.

Also Job Centre phoned me today. As promised they had to ask me some questions.

37 minutes later

"I dont know how you managed to get this far, but your local job centre should be doing this, phone them up."

I asked her what she meant, and apparently my local job centre is so big that I have to go there and fill out the forms instead of her being able to sort it out for me. What ashame.
I'm sure it's actually easier for you to temp than get the dole at this rate
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 13:49   #31
pig
1up on you

Most likely, although at the moment im filling out an application for my dream job. Its to work at Coral (the bookmakers) it combines two passions of mine Gambling and Sport!
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 13:52   #32
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You do realise it'll probably take about two to three months (Probably three considering you're going to have to do forms) before you get your first payment, don't you?
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 13:52   #33
pig
1up on you

I was told friday ;/

Do they lie?
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 13:53   #34
Marilyn Manson
Gone

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 14:10   #35
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

People should "sign on" if they are eligible; not just for the £44 per week, but also for housing benefit purposes, free prescriptions, free dental care, deferment in paying back your student loan, and of course (very importantly) National Insurance credits towards your state pension.

PS: Also some local councils give grants to people on benefit for home improvements and energy efficiency.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 14:15   #36
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I was told friday ;/

Do they lie?
Yes they lie, you will be given a basic interview and given the forms to fill in. They will then make another appointment for you to come back with the forms filled in. At this second meeting they will check the forms over and get copies of your ID. All this is then sent off where your claim is evaluated and you will be given your first signing on date. When you have signed on for the first time you will then be paid
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 14:38   #37
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

I had a pretty similiar experience. I graduated in June and on the day of my graduation i was driven to the dole office by my parents and told to sign on. Having just been given the bit of paper which told me i'd ****ed up the last 4 years of my life AND signing on PROVING i'd ****ed up the last 4 years of my life made that day one of the worst i've ever experienced.

Anyway i graduated and had not a ****ing clue what i was supposed to do now. Futher education (ie Masters etc) was now closed to me. I didn't want to work in a bar again. I just didn't have a ****ing clue. EVery temp job seemed to want 6 months experience. It was just a nightmare.

3 months after signing on i still didn't have a job. I hadn't really been looking to be honest (i was still kinda in shock with my degree). So anyway i had my "3 month meeting" with my job adviser. He asked me what kind of jobs i was after. I was fairly non-commital. he told me a bunch of jobs had come up at the passport office and, after i said "sure, why not", requested application forms for me. I applied for PO1 and PO2 jobs. I got interviews for both.

I didn't get a PO2 job (which basically invovles making sure that the details on an application form match the details on the previous passport).

I didn't get a full time PO1 job (which basically involves making sure you know your alphabet so you can file things. You also need to be able to press a button to print off an address label which you then put on an envelope).

I did however get a part time part year evening shift PO1 job.

That job paid £9.8k pro rata.

I was told i had the job at the start of September but didnt actually do my first shift until the end of February (goooooo security clearance). As such i was unemploed for 8 months (although i got a job after 5).

All this with a degree and some experience in various kinds of job (supermarket, lab, pub).

Come the end of September i was temporarally unemployed again. I refused to sign on for the next 3 months that this was the case. I was still finding it somewhat difficult to come to terms with my new circumstances.

On a similar note ... my friend has a 2:1 degree in mechanical engineering from Strathclyde. He also has a masters in some kind of IT thing from Imperial. It took him 9 months to get a job and he was applying for EVERYTHING (even slightly related)!
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 14:44   #38
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
I would never sign on because I like to believe that the money saved would somehow help out those poorer than myself. Though I am aware that this may well not be the case.
You would never sign on because you would never be allowed to sign on. They ask you about any savings you might have. They also ask you about any non-work related income you get. I'm pretty sure you get quite a hefty chunk of non-work related income Yahwe *shrug*

Quote:
Someone with a degree who claims that there are no jobs that he could get is quite simply pathetic (and a bad liar).
There's a difference between somebody who has a degree in law from Oxford, who practised as a barrister trying to get a job and the rest of us mere mortals. Sure you could get *a* job (i mean i could walk around town for about 2 hours and get a pub job easily enough .... you just need to ask enough places) but really, after studying for a degree for 3 or 4 years is minimum wage really what you're aiming at?
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 14:47   #39
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
If you want a job then learn to touch type at 60 words per minute, do a 3 day course in SAGE or some book keeping programme and make up some office experience. 10 times more useful than a degree.

Is the SAGE course 3 days? Like seriously? All these jobs i see advertised ALL wanting SAGE. I'd pay for the course myself.

/me goes off to look for SAGE courses in my area
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 14:56   #40
Dace
so f*cking zen

Sorry for posting multiple times but;

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Of all the educational qualifications I had on my CV the one that impressed them most was the fact I can touch type at 70 words a minute. Thanks for that internet!

I just took this test to see how fast i was.

Test Name Strategice alliances with competitors (test taken over 2 minutes)

Gross Speed 62 words

Errors 0 words

Net Speed 62 words

Accuracy 100%

Does anybody think i should put 60 WPM on my CV (or are those online tests useless)?
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 14:58   #41
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
There are plenty of jobs. The system looks after those who choose not to work (those that can not work are better looked after by a different system). If your ego is too big, or your pride too arrogantly enflamed to take a job then you are choosing not to work. That is your choice and one that I think is your right to make. However then complaining about it as though the situation was somehow 'forced upon you' is a lie that I find very annoying indeed.
The reason so many people complain is because of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
I'd rather give myself bowel surgery with a stick in the woods than ever sign on again. It's not so much the fact of actually being on the dole, it's just that the whole system is mindlessly, insanely burecratic, and the people who the Job Centre actually employs are invariably barely literate semi-chavs who are about as useful to you as taking a swit blow to the groin from Mike Tyson, and yet believe that they are somehow superior to you in every respect.
If the Job Centre was a private recruitment firm it wouldnt last long. Its staffed by idiots and seems to be geared soley for getting people with no education or skills into low paid and skillless roles and has no clue on how to help anyone with the slighest education.

It seems little more than a place to get people made ineligable for the unemployment figures so that Blair and Co can harp on about their low unemployment figures
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 15:06   #42
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
Sorry for posting multiple times but;

Gross Speed 62 words

Errors 0 words

Net Speed 62 words

Accuracy 100%

Does anybody think i should put 60 WPM on my CV (or are those online tests useless)?

Put it down you either can or cant type 60 words a minute, most people i'm sure could do so. Incidentally I did the test and got

Gross Speed 70 wpm

Errors 2 words

Net Speed 68 wpm

Accuracy 97%
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 15:09   #43
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Put it down you either can or cant type 60 words a minute, most people i'm sure could do so. Incidentally I did the test and got

Gross Speed 70 wpm

Errors 2 words

Net Speed 68 wpm

Accuracy 97%
The average person can't type over 60wpm. So to dace: yes put it down.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 15:11   #44
pig
1up on you

Yes Zar but GD isn't average.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 15:17   #45
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Same test over 2 minutes, 64 WPM gross, 8 errors (I always have to go back and correct myself or let AutoCorrect do it!), net speed of 60 WPM, 93% accuracy.

I seem to spend half my time going back and fixing my mistakes. I can feel myself making them, so I'm very quick at doing so - but the typing tests just don't care

And yes, I'd put it on.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 15:18   #46
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I seem to spend half my time going back and fixing my mistakes. I can feel myself making them, so I'm very quick at doing so - but the typing tests just don't care :(

Same here :(

BTW i just re-took the test using CPM and got 323. That works out at about 19.3k CPH. One of my friends (from work) went for some temp jobs and score a rate of 8k CPH and got the job. I am now so very unimpressed with his typing rate :)

Last edited by Dace; 20 Jun 2006 at 15:24.
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 15:19   #47
wakey
Hamster

Grr can only do 48 WPM. My problems my spelling, im so self aware of it that I spend too much time reading out the letters as im typing to make sure its right and then double checking the whole word. I really need to get out of that habit
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 17:10   #48
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I am about to finish my masters (hopefully December bar any disasters, sudden onslaught of burnout or lazyness). I will have 2 degrees and no relevant experience. I expect my job search to be quite difficult, and am not too hopeful of landing a job that pays what I want to make (I will still search however). I will be open for work quite unrelated to any of my education. I have to get experience. That requires getting a foot in the door.

I have no skills at this moment that set me a part from any other person with a comparable level of education. Sure I can do web programming (PHP, JavaScript, XML, Mysql, and CSS - at professional levels), but a) those jobs suck and b) those jobs pay nothing and c) I have never worked with anyone in a collaberative environment and have always associated those skills as 'fun'.

It's gonna be rough, and I have a ton of debt, and in the US there really is no 'Dole.' There's unemployment, but you only get it if you've been working and the return is not even enough to pay for rent (it's like $400 max a month in some states, others, less).

My WPM is 77 :/
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 17:15   #49
lokken
BlueTuba

60 WPM, 2 errors, net of 58 WPM.
Unread 20 Jun 2006, 17:36   #50
Tomkat

Quote:
Sure you could get *a* job (i mean i could walk around town for about 2 hours and get a pub job easily enough .... you just need to ask enough places) but really, after studying for a degree for 3 or 4 years is minimum wage really what you're aiming at?
I'd rather get a crappy job (while hunting for a decent job), work for 20 hours a week and get £100 than work 0 hours and get £44 like pig is doing.

I don't think I'd ever go on the dole because it's shit. £44 a week is nothing.