User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 7 Sep 2007, 21:27   #1
Duncasaurus
Quit yo Jibba Jabba

Duncasaurus is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Covert Operations Pointless?

Well atleast the ship sabotage one.

I mean for instance look at the earliest you could use the ship sabotage which is round 72 assuming you priotised Cov-op research. I dont have the exact numbers to hand but you can only destroy a few ten (a few hundred at the very most) is insignificant among the 2-10 thousand ship fleets of the first few ticks. 10 ticks out of protection and the covert operation looses even the slightest chance of making a difference to a fleet. And the later the game goes on the more and more pointless it gets. I'd love to see the total number of those cov-ops and the total number of cov-ops in total at the end of a R22. I'd predict a incredibly small %, and even then I'd amount it to people using it just to gain XP rather then its actual usefulness.

I propose a few possible alterations to that cov-op either:
1) Replace this cov-op with a new one that actually serves a useful purpose (be it towards the beginning of the round like research set back), something towards the end of the round or something that could be used throughout the round.

2)Change the number of ships the current amount of agents can destroy. So say instead of 10 agents being required to destroy 50 ships (or whatever the damage is) change it so they can destroy a worthwhile amount e.g. 300-400.

3) Change the number of agents required to do the mission e.g. only 5 like bank hacking. (Where the 5 destroy what currently the 10 do - so similar to 2.)

4) Have further ship research after the building destruction to increase the effectiveness of the ship destruction. So say u reach level 7 (or whatever it is for Havoc) with level 8 being Ship sabotage level 2, and cov-op level 9 being ship sabotage level 3 (Each could increase num of agents required but also increase damage a single agent could do)

Post your thoughts please.
Duncasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2007, 21:32   #2
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Covert Operations Pointless?

remove cov op from pa. plz

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2007, 21:35   #3
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

covop is gay

robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2007, 21:35   #4
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

It dont seem so interesting to me.
Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2007, 21:53   #5
Mashed_Potatoes

Mashed_Potatoes is an unknown quantity at this point

remove it, please.
Mashed_Potatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2007, 23:00   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Don't cry just because you got hit a few times. Cov ops is fine as it is.

And yes, we know the ship cov ops is usually pointless. Don't use it.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2007, 23:05   #7
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The ship cov op is poor because it randomly chooses ships to blow up based on number rather than value. It was handy in Round 16 against Terran XP planets that only had battleships, since Terran BS cost so much and you were guaranteed to kill some useful ships.
Unread 7 Sep 2007, 23:35   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Or to check what ships a planet has home. The possibilities are endless. Look beyond just brute force.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 8 Sep 2007, 00:46   #9
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

People who complain about covert ops has small brains and even smaller sexual organs!

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 18:36   #10
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road

I liked the one of fractioning Sabotage research. In fact, I believe is a very good idea. And one that can be applied to all the Cov Op tech tree. And one that should not require too much work to implement.

As I see it myself. Each Cov Op baseic tech, should be further researched to: normal and then advanced (each of this requiring an approriate number of ticks to be determined). Each level (a) increases the minimum required and maximum allowed number of agents, (b) makes it more expensive, (c) but more efficient.

This way players may choose X or Y branch and develop it. Maybe some, for whatever reason, would choose to be advance ship sabotagers.

Personally, I only steal money. :P
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 18:59   #11
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Same

Code:
The Covert Ops of DTA mascot AllFather (4:6:9) (Cathaar)
Mail / News
PT : 190
Metal
Crystal
Eonium
Value
XP
Score / Rank
204,742 /  72

Unread 9 Sep 2007, 18:59   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedolaws
I liked the one of fractioning Sabotage research. In fact, I believe is a very good idea. And one that can be applied to all the Cov Op tech tree. And one that should not require too much work to implement.

As I see it myself. Each Cov Op baseic tech, should be further researched to: normal and then advanced (each of this requiring an approriate number of ticks to be determined). Each level (a) increases the minimum required and maximum allowed number of agents, (b) makes it more expensive, (c) but more efficient.

This way players may choose X or Y branch and develop it. Maybe some, for whatever reason, would choose to be advance ship sabotagers.
Unnecessary complexity. As it stands, very few people actually understand how and why cov ops work. Hell, I must've answered the question "how much alert do I need to be immune?" a dozen times already, these last 5 days alone. Making some cov ops stronger than others, adding branching to the cov op tech tree and dynamically changing the efficiency of certain cov ops is a step in the wrong direction.

If anything we should make them somewhat easier to understand. For example, implement one fixed value for alert (dependant on race, government, population and/or constructions) instead of the current "slowly increasing when below and slowly decreasing when above the maximum" system, which really adds nothing to the game. The only thing you'd be missing out on would be the +10 alert planets get when they're successfully cov op'ed, which really is only a punishment for organisation. For single cov oppers, the temporary stealth decrease they suffer every time they use a covert operation does exactly the same thing, and more efficiently.

Or one could think of giving each race a fixed stealth recovery rate (I'm thinking 8, but I'm flexible), so that people don't have to spend forever to calculate how often they can use cov op x, or cov op y, on planet a, or planet b, with i agents or j agents.

Or both at the same time!

The possibilities are endless.
Unread 9 Sep 2007, 20:10   #13
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

If you want to change the ship sabotage it should be changed to being able to steal a handful of ships. This would be more usefull in my opinion as then the covert opper would gain the value from the stolen ships and might have some ships they could not build themselves. The number affected really don't need to be changed.

Granted the small numbers stolen won't be very usefull from 1 covert-op but over the course of the round could add up to a handy little fleet.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 02:08   #14
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I would supress the ships cov op (or place it earlier in the research tree) and would use something more spectacular instead:
- fleet slot disruption: the fleet slot is unavailable for x ticks (if it's at base, the fleet slot can't be used, if it's launched, the fleet is delayed).
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 02:17   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.

That's pretty nasty though. Do it often enough and you effectively trap someone's fleet at home, ready to be stolen by the zik in your alliance who is coincidentially attacking those exact coords.
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 09:17   #16
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Yes, would be horrible if we bring the war into a spacewar game again

Unread 10 Sep 2007, 09:24   #17
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I'm just saying it might be a tad too powerful.
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 10:17   #18
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Agreed, too powerful as Mz said.
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 10:30   #19
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Can never be too powerful when im playing it.
But if i played as "normal" person i suppose i would agree D:

Unread 10 Sep 2007, 11:29   #20
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

I love cov-ops. When i get incoming i set my guys research back like 50% over 20 ticks or something.. not because i think im big and clever, but its annoying and i know (s)he'll be pissed
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 12:59   #21
HRH_H_Crab
Jazz Maverick

HRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud of

I wish people would stop making threads that elicit sane and well worded replies from Allfather:

Quote:
People who complain about covert ops has small brains and even smaller sexual organs!
HRH_H_Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2007, 20:32   #22
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What HRH_H_Crab doesn't know about covert ops isn't worth knowing so yeah I agree with him
Unread 11 Sep 2007, 21:53   #23
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veil05
I love cov-ops. When i get incoming i set my guys research back like 50% over 20 ticks or something.. not because i think im big and clever, but its annoying and i know (s)he'll be pissed
Someone tried that to me, so I paused my research after it finished ticking, then restarted it right before the tick a few times. And they eventually gave up.
[Silver] High Council - Military
[WolfPack] High Council - Military
[Ascendancy] Member
[eXilition] High Council - Defence
7-Round Official Planetarion #Support Team Member
Retired Since Round 21
NitinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2007, 15:03   #24
bullbars
Bullbars

bullbars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Making some cov ops stronger than others, adding branching to the cov op tech tree and dynamically changing the efficiency of certain cov ops is a step in the wrong direction.

If anything we should make them somewhat easier to understand. For example, implement one fixed value for alert (dependant on race, government, population and/or constructions) instead of the current "slowly increasing when below and slowly decreasing when above the maximum" system, which really adds nothing to the game. The only thing you'd be missing out on would be the +10 alert planets get when they're successfully cov op'ed, which really is only a punishment for organisation. For single cov oppers, the temporary stealth decrease they suffer every time they use a covert operation does exactly the same thing, and more efficiently.

Or one could think of giving each race a fixed stealth recovery rate (I'm thinking 8, but I'm flexible), so that people don't have to spend forever to calculate how often they can use cov op x, or cov op y, on planet a, or planet b, with i agents or j agents.

Or both at the same time!

The possibilities are endless.
not necessarly , for those who have studied the art of covert op attacking, giving them more to play with can only be a good thing.
And isnt a slower rate of recovery a bit more fair on the game as a whole, i mean , when you launch an attack, you also have to wait for the fleet to get back before you can launch it again, so why not keep waiting for your stealth to increse as well.

I would be in favour of a covert op attack where ships could be stolen, most sucessfull covert op attackers i know are scanners too, and they have a hard enough time with the amout of ships they can get due to researching scans and covert ops, If a good scanner /covert op attacker had access to stealing ships,(s)he could use them then for attacking /defending.

It was pointed out to me earlier in ally chanell that that might be rubbish,and the game would fold with ships being stolen, but it dident kill the game when zikos became the only ones to steal ships and ETD's came about. Sure cant zikos still steal from zikos and etds now anyway.

wouldent it be marvelous if their was a covert op attack and a structure could be stolen, not only destroyed on the planet you hit,but actually stolen, there the cover op attacker gets even more value for his/her strike. granted ,that might get a bit sticky towards the end of the round when structure limits are reached, then just let the structure be destroyed
bullbars is offline   Reply With Quote