User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Nov 2005, 19:35   #1
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Tell me about laptops

I'm looking to be paying in the region of a grand, and i want something with at least 80Gb of hard drive and able to play recent games (say, Call of Duty 2 as the benchmark) fairly effectively.

Suggest!

ta.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2005, 19:35   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Tell me about laptops

they are like computers only smaller so that you can put them on your lap and use them on trains.

I've never bought a laptop before, but from reading the hardware forum on SA, there seems to be a fairly strong hatred of gaming laptops due to the overpricing and lack of upgradability. Why dont you just get a cheap laptop so you can talk to boys on AOL or whatever while you are out, then play games on your home computer?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2005, 19:44   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I've never bought a laptop before, but from reading the hardware forum on SA, there seems to be a fairly strong hatred of gaming laptops due to the overpricing and lack of upgradability. Why dont you just get a cheap laptop so you can talk to boys on AOL or whatever while you are out, then play games on your home computer?
This is the way to go.

However, if you MUST get a gaming laptop, get something with at least a gig of RAM and a non-integrated graphics card. Acer make good laptops, so do a few other companies.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2005, 19:53   #4
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i dont have the money for two computers, dont think i havent toyed with the idea.

http://www.acernotebooks.co.uk/Acer_...60/version.asp

discuss. please note VAT is not an issue due to friends coming over from jersey for new year.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2005, 19:55   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
i dont have the money for two computers
Yes you do.

You can get a decent home computer and a cheap laptop for £1200 and its a better idea that getting an overpriced laptop that will be obsolete and non-upgradable within a year.

£1200 is an absurd price to pay for a computer, especially a 2ghz one with a shit graphics card.
Unread 26 Nov 2005, 20:13   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A cheap laptop will set you back £500. A PC that is updatable, and superior to that laptop, will cost you £700.

Quote:
£1200 is an absurd price to pay for a computer, especially a 2ghz one with a shit graphics card.
You're showing remarkable ignorance here. A 2Ghz Pentium-M and an ATi X700 are more than sufficient for anything on the market today.
Unread 26 Nov 2005, 20:19   #7
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
You're showing remarkable ignorance here. A 2Ghz Pentium-M and an ATi X700 are more than sufficient for anything on the market today.
I dont know about the processor but I googled for x700 benchmarks before making that last post, and it seems to be significantly slower than cards which are fairly cheap for desktop computers. A 6600GT is around £120, I assume the x700 is adding a fair bit more than that to the price of the laptop.
Unread 26 Nov 2005, 20:23   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I dont know about the processor but I googled for x700 benchmarks before posting that, and it seems to be significantly slower than cards which are fairly cheap for desktop computers.
Unless you're buying something even more stupidly expensive than was proposed earlier, Mobility Cards are always going to be a generation behind (in effective speed) the midrange desktop card. It's just the way it is.

Anyway, a 9700 Pro still runs today's things fine. It'll start showing it's age in the next 12-18 months though, so it's back to the lack-of-upgrade-path problem.

Pentium-M's annoy me by not having a comparative benchmark built into the name. At least with an Athlon 64 2800+ you know what you're getting, even if it only runs at 1.8Ghz.
Unread 26 Nov 2005, 20:30   #9
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Unless you're buying something even more stupidly expensive than was proposed earlier, Mobility Cards are always going to be a generation behind (in effective speed) the midrange desktop card. It's just the way it is.
Yeah that was part of my general "laptops are shit and overpriced, dont bother" point.
Unread 26 Nov 2005, 20:32   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Yeah that was part of my general "laptops are shit and overpriced, dont bother" point.
Show where I disagreed with this assesment!
Unread 27 Nov 2005, 02:39   #11
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

This is my laptop (costed £1000):
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
Intel Pentium M processor 1.70Ghz (about as good as a normal 3Ghz processor)
60GB hard disk
15" screen
Realtek Ethernet network adapter

I can play whatever game (even CoD2 ) I want to with it and I guess it should work for any game released in 6-12 months. It's the best PC-buy I've ever done.
Unread 27 Nov 2005, 02:41   #12
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Although i can't suggest a laptop for your needs, when choosing mine i used http://www.notebookreview.com/ It's quite helpful
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote