User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 Jan 2005, 02:56   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
For anyone who has to use London Underground.

I'm crying due to the fact I've been laughing so much.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 03:01   #2
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future
Re: For anyone who has to use London Underground.

Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 10:33   #3
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I laughed, I laughed lots.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 11:44   #4
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Brilliant.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 11:49   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

heh
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 12:00   #6
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I like

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 12:03   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't approve of the anti-worker sentiment but it's pretty good.

(many of the service problems can be attributed to long-term under investment, many of the strikes are to do with safety issues, I don't see how the drivers can be blamed for chewing gum left by commuters, etc, etc)
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 12:39   #8
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i use the tube more i imagine than most because i have to travel an awful lot. moreover i use it at all times of the day because my work can finish surprisingly quickly or even start at 2pm.

the greatest problem on the tube is commuters. undoubtably.

The only real complaint i have is with station staff. they are universally aggressive and i find myself increasingly falling back on my accent in order to get treated with basic politeness. this is however not a problem unique to the tube.

Increasingly people are rude and aggressive to each other and yet they seem surprised that this leads to an unsatisfying day and can escalate into violence. it should not be necessary for me to rely on old fashioned class deference to gain common courtesy; what happens to those who can not do so?

It seems to me that it is now unfashionable to be kind or to be polite. while this fashion lasts of intolerance and blame, no one will have a nice day.

regarding the song, well its not exactly tom lehrer is it.

meanwhile i shall encase myself more in my ivory tower world whilst sitting back with despair and watching man's inhumanity to man.
Yahwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 12:59   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Amusing... a bit... No experience with the London underground and stuff.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 13:05   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
It seems to me that it is now unfashionable to be kind or to be polite. while this fashion lasts of intolerance and blame, no one will have a nice day.
Agreed. I am always polite but I find that people adopt a certain attitude presuming you are going to be unreasonable before you open your mouth.

I recently misplaced my travel card and got my train to the work and approached one of the ticket staff at the other end. When he told me he had to issue me one of those penalty fare thingies he actually flinched, as if he expected me to shout in his face.

Unfortunately, from the staff's point of view it probably makes sense to adopt a confrontational attitude if as low as 1 in 10 people are actually rude and so, as you say, the logic continues.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 13:14   #11
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Agreed. I am always polite but I find that people adopt a certain attitude presuming you are going to be unreasonable before you open your mouth.

I recently misplaced my travel card and got my train to the work and approached one of the ticket staff at the other end. When he told me he had to issue me one of those penalty fare thingies he actually flinched, as if he expected me to shout in his face.

Unfortunately, from the staff's point of view it probably makes sense to adopt a confrontational attitude if as low as 1 in 10 people are actually rude and so, as you say, the logic continues.
i agree.

its not wholly onesided at all.

i simply despair: good manners used to be at the heart of being British. they were once an indication of breeding and intelligence. in american culture good manners are ascociated with being vacuous and stupid.

I wonder at the influence of this american idea.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 13:20   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
i agree.

its not wholly onesided at all.

i simply despair: good manners used to be at the heart of being British. they were once an indication of breeding and intelligence. in american culture good manners are ascociated with being vacuous and stupid.

I wonder at the influence of this american idea.
Where the hell does this idea come from about British being well-mannered? I admit, I have little experience with British folks, apart from my aunt who lives in Glasgow, but when I look at the news or any of those imported TV shows I can't find much that would indicate that British are better mannered than Dutch.
OK, perhaps you WERE well-mannered many years ago, but I think that over a whole that most people in most north-western European countries are equall well-mannered. No?
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 13:21   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Where the hell does this idea come from about British being well-mannered? I admit, I have little experience with British folks, apart from my aunt who lives in Glasgow, but when I look at the news or any of those imported TV shows I can't find much that would indicate that British are better mannered than Dutch.
OK, perhaps you WERE well-mannered many years ago, but I think that over a whole that most people in most north-western European countries are equall well-mannered. No?
You appear to be supporting his point that being English used to be indicative of fine manners but is no longer so.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 13:27   #14
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
You appear to be supporting his point that being English used to be indicative of fine manners but is no longer so.
thank you.
i don't seem to be able to get through to him.

perhaps my somewhat archaic language and grammar confuse him. or perhaps he merely sees my nickname and gets over excited.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 13:28   #15
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Oh... crap... That must be wrong... I can't be agreeing with Yahwe!
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 13:31   #16
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
thank you.
i don't seem to be able to get through to him.

perhaps my somewhat archaic language and grammar confuse him. or perhaps he merely sees my nickname and gets over excited.
The fact that you actually posted a sensible post amongst all your other drivel caught me off guard.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 14:09   #17
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of

I find that if you are polite to people, even if they are the aggressors, you will tend to have a much better conversation! I needed to get the train on Monday but the train pulled in just as I got to the station so I didn't have time to buy a ticket. I went up to the man at the gates and asked him if I could buy a ticket for from where I caught the train to my destination. He was immediately aggressive in the way he asked why I hadn't bought one there.

I stayed calm and explained politely what had happened and that I couldn't wait for the next train as I had a GNER ticket booked at Kings Cross and would have been late, and he was really nice. Got another man to open the barrier and let me through without having to pay, wished me a good journey to kings cross and a safe journey back to Leeds. If you are polite people will be much nicer to you. If you are aggressive or short with people, they are not going to care whether you make your train or not!
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 14:13   #18
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-9000
I find that if you are polite to people, even if they are the aggressors, you will tend to have a much better conversation! I needed to get the train on Monday but the train pulled in just as I got to the station so I didn't have time to buy a ticket. I went up to the man at the gates and asked him if I could buy a ticket for from where I caught the train to my destination. He was immediately aggressive in the way he asked why I hadn't bought one there.

I stayed calm and explained politely what had happened and that I couldn't wait for the next train as I had a GNER ticket booked at Kings Cross and would have been late, and he was really nice. Got another man to open the barrier and let me through without having to pay, wished me a good journey to kings cross and a safe journey back to Leeds. If you are polite people will be much nicer to you. If you are aggressive or short with people, they are not going to care whether you make your train or not!
this is precisely what i had meant to convey.
i commend you for your politeness, i am not surprised at your reward.

the true core of the English is not lost to us. its ingrained politeness and kindness is there, merely hidden by a veneer of aggression and brusque american attitude.

I hope that soon we can shed this veneer, this useless and destructive foreign skin.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 14:57   #19
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: For anyone who has to use London Underground.

London is another country.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:05   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Only in Passport to Pimlico.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 16:39   #21
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
That is exactly how I feel about London.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 16:43   #22
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: For anyone who has to use London Underground.

Quote:
Only in Passport to Pimlico.
They considered making a Northern re-make of that called Passport to Hull. Never got off the ground, though, unfortunately.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 16:58   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
They considered making a Northern re-make of that called Passport to Hull. Never got off the ground, though, unfortunately.
There's a song about it though.

Well I’m standing by a river
But the water doesn’t flow
It boils with every poison you can think of
And I’m underneath the streetlight
But the light of joy I know
Scared beyond belief way down in the shadows
And the perverted fear of violence
Chokes the smile on every face
And common sense is ringing out the bellc
This ain’t no technological breakdown
Oh no, this is the road to hull.