User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 Dec 2004, 17:58   #1
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute
Home cinema

I've recently come into a lot of money (not really, but I have done alot of overtime) and would like to get a home cinema for my room! This is something I've wanted for a long time and I now have some pennies to spend

Since I am quite naive when it comes to spending monies and nearly everything is an impulse buy, I figured I'd get some advice...

So! I have a PC and a PS2, and a multi-region DVD player

Am I right in thinking that these can all get plugged into an amp and then output to a 5.1 surround sound thing?

I'd also like a 2-in-1 flat-screen TV and PC monitor to accompany this, so does anyone have experience/opinions/alternatives?

Thanks
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2004, 18:06   #2
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future
Re: Home cinema

My only advice is that you don't buy anything from a highstreet store. Online deals (especially from online only stores) are almost always better and cheaper
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2004, 18:36   #3
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

TV wise id probally hold out for a while unless your happy upgrading in a year or two. HDDVD is being introduced next year and sky are looking to start a limited output of HDTV's so we should start to see HDTV's become more prominat in the marketplace in 2005 and start to become more and more common and alot better value throughout 2006 and 2007.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2004, 18:38   #4
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

yes and LCD prices are set to decrease signficantly in the early part of 2005 (due to a few of the larger companies having built more factories to provide the huge increase in demand)
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2004, 19:52   #5
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold

Get a 'boxed' home theater system. Sony, Phillips, JVC and pretty much every sound maker has one. When thinking on potency think about the size of your room. Too much will make the subwoofer tremble your room too much and may make stuff slide out of shelves.

For a small room go for something under 300W RPS (summed speaker maximum potency.) It will make conversations pratically impossible and won't make your parents come smacking your doors.

The positioning of the speakers is what makes it work properly, install them on a circular pattern around the place you'll be seated/lied down for optimum performance. You might need some stands to place them at the right height as the sound should come from about 1.3 meters from the ground. Highter works too, but it leads to a lesser THX environment effect.

And please, pretty please, read the manual before installing.

Oh yeah, get an optical cable to connect the PS2 to the receiver (Make sure the one you buy has optical line-in) and configure the PS2 to use that output mean. You'll crap your pants once the games start to spook you with the 5.1 wizardry.

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote