User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Dec 2004, 23:40   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Masters

My sister's in her last year at Bristol and she's considering whether to do a Masters or not (Accounting/Business). Considering we aren't very wealthy (although we have a large stake of money in a 1/2 mil house left-over) she wants to know is it worth it dishing her share of the house to apply for masters at the university? She's spoken to her lecturers afaik and they said it would be valuable but in my opinion, how so? A year, costing £20,000 iirc. alone for the masters benefits her how other than an increased chance of earning more upon employment? I've estimated it to be around 10 years before the loss due to the Masters degree is countered and this includes the university loans (which is quite debtrous) she would also have to pay back.

I'm asking this here because I gather there are some matured people on these boards, presumably a few who have done a Masters. I've advised her no and to just merely start job applications for next year. Thoughts?
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 23:48   #2
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Masters

Is this like bachelor/master ?
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 23:50   #3
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

What the hell ? £20,000 ?!? That sounds way off, fees here for full time home students are a little over £3000 here I can't imagine them being that much more in Bristol, unless she needs £17000 in living expenses your figure sounds way off.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 23:55   #4
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
What the hell ? £20,000 ?!? That sounds way off, fees here for full time home students are a little over £3000 here I can't imagine them being that much more in Bristol, unless she needs £17000 in living expenses your figure sounds way off.
Opportunity cost?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 00:09   #5
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

terrible that you would force her to "dish" her share of the house over educational opportunities
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 00:29   #6
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A Masters means you get extra initals after your name on letters.

Surely that has to be worth £20,000, right?

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 00:31   #7
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Better job prospects?

Costs me £3k in tuition fees then £205 per month rent for a year. She wont be needing £20k.

Last edited by JC; 9 Dec 2004 at 11:54.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 00:36   #8
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Increases your average earnings by 7% iirc.
Each extra level of education adds a small amount - there you go T&F, who says diminishing returns is bollocks?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 01:02   #9
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

£205 per week rent?

Surely you mean per month, as if I recall correctly Buckinham Palace isn't available for student renting.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 01:22   #10
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

An MBA would cost more than £20k at a lot of places, an "ordinary" master, simply, wouldn't.
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 01:30   #11
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
An MBA would cost more than £20k at a lot of places, an "ordinary" master, simply, wouldn't.

Something tells me you're wrong
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 01:38   #12
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

average price in 2000 was $20k according to your site, which (at the time) would have been about £16k? I don't think £4k is too high to add living costs to that (£75 a week or so?)
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 01:42   #13
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Those are the 2004 figures.
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 01:50   #14
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
you are wrong

Masters here at VUB cost 500 EUR for a whole year

MBA is around triple that, which still is nothing compared to the 40k at Insead

It does say "MBA" on the page i linked to the Top 10 ranking from *shrug*

See where it says "Min Years of Work Experience - 3" does that mean general work experience or high powered buisness stuff?
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 01:55   #15
Dace
so f*cking zen

"business" :(

I keep on mis-spelling that word.

One day im gonna mis-spell it on an application form and its gonna cause me grief.
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 01:58   #16
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

The Warwick MBA, (ranked 18th) is £23k, before living costs. I knew INSEAD was about the same, Cambridge is £24k, Imperial is £23k...need I go on? My use of the word "lots" was perhaps misplaced, maybe "the best places" would have been better...
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 02:05   #17
Dace
so f*cking zen

Where are you getting this info from SYMM?
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 02:12   #18
Dace
so f*cking zen

Flav what link do you follow to get detailed info on a uni like what you had on Insead from topmba.com?
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 10:47   #19
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

The "Fees & Expenses" sections of the respective websites of the unis
http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/mba/ap...es-funding.cfm
for example
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 10:50   #20
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

say ****ing WHAT? i have a mate doing a masters at oxford, and another who has just finished her's at cambridge and gone onto phd, neither of them paid anywhere near that much
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 11:54   #21
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
£205 per week rent?

Surely you mean per month, as if I recall correctly Buckinham Palace isn't available for student renting.
Yep sorry, i meant a month.
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 12:08   #22
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

I'm in the last year of my MPhys with is a 4 year physics degree with the first 2 years being the same as the BSc and then it diverges.

We got told that they created this because of the difficulty in getting funding and expense in doing a MSc after your BSc.

Anyone got figures for how much a PhD affects your salary?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 13:08   #23
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
Anyone got figures for how much a PhD affects your salary?
One of my lecturers said it added £250,000 to your lifetime earnings.

I'm doing a masters course. It cost me nothing more than the previous 3 years.
Even the most expensive degree (they charge foreign students this much) is £14k a year i think. There's no way they'd charge home students that much.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 13:20   #24
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
Masters != Masters of Business Administration

true, but the original question does not specify an MBA, rather just a masters, which is not that expensive.
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 13:43   #25
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

Without quoting it appears as if your response was to my post and not to the original...
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 14:44   #26
roadrunner_0
cynic

yes, because i assumed that you were replying to the original.
it was partly my fault as i hadnt realised that the thread had actually split into 2 differing discussions