User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 22 Jul 2007, 13:23   #1
Xeno
hirr

Xeno will become famous soon enoughXeno will become famous soon enough
Facebook add-on

How about an add-on that seeks to take advantage of the Facebook craze?

This could be solved in numerous ways, from a simple line in the personal profile section stating e.g. rank (who the heck wouldn't click a line stating that a friend ranks so and so in the universe?) to more sopfisticated applications interacting with the game itself.

I personally think it's best to keep things simple. A single line in the personal profile intriguing people to have a look would be the way to go.

Xeno
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 13:52   #2
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Facebook add-on

You have to be shitting me if you think I am going to admit on facebook that I play planetarion.

Good idea though, but I would never use it.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 15:42   #3
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

It's a very good idea, but like pig I won't admit to everyone on Facebook that I play PA
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 16:41   #4
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Too cool for school pig? Seriously? That's kinda sad dude
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 16:47   #5
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Too cool for school pig? Seriously? That's kinda sad dude
To be quite frank yes I am. I know its 2007 and all, and the internet has kind of turned into a cool place thanks to facebook, myspace et al, but I am still stuck in the thinking of 2001 when if you spent more than half an hour on the internet you were considered an internet nerd. That's how I see it.

Whilst I doubt many would know what planetarion is, nor would they care. I still wouldn't want to tarnish my reputation by having it.

However like I said in my first post it is a good idea, but I won't be using it, unless pa becomes cool and then of course I will jump on the social bandwagon and show just how shit I am.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 16:50   #6
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I agree with pig. I wouldn't advertise on facebook that I play. Especially since most people on my facebook are of my age and so do have the more 2001 line of thinking that pig described above.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 17:03   #7
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I understand that people wouldn't discuss PA in the pub when trying to pull chix or something (barring some kind of mental defect) but the internet is the internet and thus pot/kettle blackery would seem to be in play here. As a matter of interest, do many Facebook people link to any other games such as CS, WoW, Everquest, etc?

ps. I don't use Facebook so maybe I'm talking out of my ass here.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 17:20   #8
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
As a matter of interest, do many Facebook people link to any other games such as CS, WoW, Everquest, etc?

ps. I don't use Facebook so maybe I'm talking out of my ass here.
Theres two things that you can do to advertise what you do.

The first is join a group. There are several WoW groups, Eve, CS groups. All they do is maybe discuss a topic, much like a forum. But on the whole it's a way of people showing what their interests are. The groups that you are in are shown on the left hand side of your profile.

There is a planetarion group. It has 72 members. Which shows how many pa players are perhaps on facebook.

The group is called "Planetarion ruins my real life and yet I have signed up for another round". Now I am not a member of it, as I don't really want to advertise the fact I play pa, and for all I can see it only is a place where pa players gather in one place. Most I don't really know.

Then there are applications. Planetarion doesn't have an application but applications link into your profile such things as games, videos and other stuff.

WoW has two applications. The first is called "I play WoW". It's description says "Display your WoW characters on your profile". This is 3126 members. Which although sounds a lot, when you think how many WoW players there are, and when you consider how many facebook users there are (30 million now?) It is a mere drop in the ocean.

The other is called "WoW Armoury" it's description says "Retrieve your World of Warcraft characters from the Armory and display their stats and equipment in your Facebook profile. Easy to use, no additional account registration necessary!" This has just under 3,000 users. Once again not that much.

Now I know that I wouldn't really want to advertise to many that I play WoW. Heck I spend enough time on facebook (mainly being social, oh the irony) that I don't want to show people that I spend my night and day playing WoW (I don't play WoW, so I hope you get what I mean).

On the whole facebook is used for friends who know you. If I have hidden from the majority of my friends that I play pa at 22, I don't know why because there would be an application on facebook that I would advertise it.

Some of my friends used to play pa. So they know just how many hours that it takes to be succesful, most stopped about 5 years ago and a game that is viewed to be played mainly by 13-16 year olds. People will look at me as a bit sad for still playing it.

I do care what people think of me, as do many others. I don't want to admit to a secret little internet addiction, it just somehow seems wrong. Sorry.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 17:28   #9
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Some of my friends used to play pa. So they know just how many hours that it takes to be succesful, most stopped about 5 years ago and a game that is viewed to be played mainly by 13-16 year olds. People will look at me as a bit sad for still playing it.
This sums it quite nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I do care what people think of me, as do many others. I don't want to admit to a secret little internet addiction, it just somehow seems wrong. Sorry.
/Agree

Unread 22 Jul 2007, 17:47   #10
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
I agree with pig. I wouldn't advertise on facebook that I play. Especially since most people on my facebook are of my age and so do have the more 2001 line of thinking that pig described above.
In Marv's defence he does need the credability. He does a music degree ffs
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 17:49   #11
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Pig's post highlights many problems that would need to be overcome in order to make this idea work and as such is excellent. Are there ways to overcome this reasonable desire that many people will have to portray a lifestyle that isn't PA heavy? By this I mean do people think there is a way of portraying (read: lying about/fudging) Planetarion to the extent that it looks to the casual observer like a light-hearted, fun game demanding only a few minutes of the time they set aside for internet frolics? If that could be done the latter objective of getting people hooked would then be in play. As with any marketing strategy this is purely a numbers game.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 18:08   #12
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You can hide applications from your profile, pig. If you're embarrassed by the game, you can just take it off your profile. I've taken off stuff that clogs up my profile as it makes it messy.

I think a better way of accessing this would be being able to RUN your planet through facebook. I don't know how easy that'd be, though.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 18:17   #13
Almeida

Almeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to behold

on the german aequivalent of facebook i am in the www.planetarion.com group.

i actually don't give a damn what other ppl think of me; friends gotta accept me as i am and if they don't they ain't real friends. and when it comes to complete strangers i care 0% about their opinion.

so, it ain't that embarassing to show a PA addiction on face book imo.

and ofc, i like the initial idea
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 18:46   #14
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
You can hide applications from your profile, pig. If you're embarrassed by the game, you can just take it off your profile. I've taken off stuff that clogs up my profile as it makes it messy.

I think a better way of accessing this would be being able to RUN your planet through facebook. I don't know how easy that'd be, though.
Thats true you can do that, but the risk of not hiding it and being found out, the horrors!

The second idea is a good one and could probably increase the player base a hell of a lot, like achilles said if it the game is seen as simple and a bit of fun you could get plenty of new people playing.

Quote:
i actually don't give a damn what other ppl think of me; friends gotta accept me as i am and if they don't they ain't real friends. and when it comes to complete strangers i care 0% about their opinion.

so, it ain't that embarassing to show a PA addiction on face book imo.
I like the sentiment, really I do. BUT that's not how it works out. A lot of my friends already accept me for who I am and what I do, but on a personal level if someone told me that they set their alarm to wake up at 4am to send some ships, or miss a date with a girl to make sure you get a good start for planetarion then I would laugh at them. I would mock them and I would think how sad.

That is how people think. I care what people think of me. Anyone who says they don't care what people think are just lying.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 18:54   #15
Almeida

Almeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to beholdAlmeida is a splendid one to behold

i told my friends about the alarm clock setting, and ofc they told me that i am fcking nuts but by now it's quite normal that i push everyone away from the PC at a party at someones house every now and then to check my planet.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 18:57   #16
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

I have to agree with pig and Marv im afraid. A few of my friends are aware that i play an online game but they know very little about it, however its not something i would display on a facebook or myspace. Its a great idea, but not for everyone i suppose.

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 19:36   #17
Red-

Red- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these parts

Why on earth woulndt you admit to playing PA?

I find using Facebook or Myspace even more of a social branding then playing PA
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 19:59   #18
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-
Why on earth woulndt you admit to playing PA?

I think this would depend on your age and/or social group.

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 22 Jul 2007, 20:09   #19
Xeno
hirr

Xeno will become famous soon enoughXeno will become famous soon enough

It seems many of you are relating this solely to the elite players. I've been a 24/7 player myself (a couple of years ago), but nowadays I'm ranked what, 1800th, or something like that. I for one wouldn't mind telling this to the world.

I don't quite see how age or social status comes to play, either.

Xeno
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 20:16   #20
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno
It seems many of you are relating this solely to the elite players. I've been a 24/7 player myself (a couple of years ago), but nowadays I'm ranked what, 1800th, or something like that. I for one wouldn't mind telling this to the world.

Xeno
I am in the same boat as you, I login once every couple of dies, idle on irc for a bit and then go to the pub.

But pa was quite big in the UK and there was a lot of people my age who used to play pa. They remember pa as a game which eats up your social life and time. It isn't like that now (it can be if you choose) but they (and myself) still relate it to being half sad slash anti social.

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this but I will take a stab in the dark and have a guess.

Facebook and to less of an extent myspace is used a bit like MSN was used 3-5 years ago. When you have a spare 5 minutes in the day you pop on, have a chat, maybe look at a few pictures etc. For people between the ages of 18-30 it is an essential way of keeping in touch with friends from old and new.

There is nothing wrong with facebook, that's because it is acceptable. I don't mind telling people I check facebook on my phone on the way to work, because 9 times out of 10 they will probably do the same.

Facebook probably well not probably it does, take up more time than pa, but that is not the point. The point is the social prejudice that forms around planetarion because of its reputation from years gone by.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 20:18   #21
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno
I think it does really though i think thats a rather large debate to have and comes down to personal opinion more than anything else, but i feel people have demonstrated reasons earlier in the thread. However thats not to say that this isnt a good idea because it is, some people will feel comfortable advertising the game in this way and some people wont (for one reason or another).

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 22 Jul 2007, 20:22   #22
Red-

Red- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these partsRed- is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Facebook and to less of an extent myspace is used a bit like MSN was used 3-5 years ago. When you have a spare 5 minutes in the day you pop on, have a chat, maybe look at a few pictures etc. For people between the ages of 18-30 it is an essential way of keeping in touch with friends from old and new.
Que? MSN is something thats just there, if friends/colleagues etc need to talk about something or want to say hi they do that instead of ringing or texting.

Why on earth spent time logging on and off - arent ya online 24/7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
There is nothing wrong with facebook, that's because it is acceptable. I don't mind telling people I check facebook on my phone on the way to work, because 9 times out of 10 they will probably do the same.

Facebook probably well not probably it does, take up more time than pa, but that is not the point. The point is the social prejudice that forms around planetarion because of its reputation from years gone by.
Noting wrong because its acceptable? Its worse then PA will ever be to many

Ill bet ya 95 out of 100 on my uni dont have facebook or myspace profiles.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 20:25   #23
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Ill bet ya 95 out of 100 on my uni dont have facebook or myspace profiles.
I don't know where you're from but it doesn't really matter - I'd take that bet to the bank.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 20:34   #24
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I don't know where you're from but it doesn't really matter - I'd take that bet to the bank.
I'd be in for some of that as well. Easy money

Unread 22 Jul 2007, 20:37   #25
Red-

It might be if your 20 years and live in the uk - but here in Denmark beeing a political science student it just isnt that widely used. (no social reputation in it)
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 21:17   #26
pig
1up on you

Quote:
It might be if your 20 years and live in the uk - but here in Denmark beeing a political science student it just isnt that widely used. (no social reputation in it)
The Europeans tend to be a little behind when it comes to social networking, or maybe they are just a bit more social face to face. Either way in the UK it is essential to have facebook, in fact without facebook I sometimes whether or not I would see half the people I see.

The internet in the UK is still not really wholy accepted. But facebook slash myspace do have some credibility. It sounds daft I know.

Also I am not online 24/7 I login before work, at lunch at work and after work in the evening. No more than that, that's the same for most of the people my age.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 21:35   #27
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I might accept that solely for Facebook, but I find it hard to believe that no-one has Myspace either. I can't stand the site personally, but it's incredibly popular and boomed six months before Facebook did.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 21:48   #28
Troll
DLR HC

Troll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to behold

excellent idea IMO

costs nothing to do and allows the best kind of advertising to take place ... word of mouth from paying and playing custumers
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 14:29   #29
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

my god, I cant believe some of you actually think being on facebook is any more cool than playing Planetarion!
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 14:35   #30
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

aNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet society

why don't we all get yahoo names and make profiles and troll each other to \o/
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 21:27   #31
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTester
my god, I cant believe some of you actually think being on facebook is any more cool than playing Planetarion!
Well it is.
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 21:48   #32
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I have to say that I am appalled by some of the attitude showing in this thread. I think its a great suggestion, allthough I do not have a facebook profile due to me not liking their signup agreement I think this kind of commercial is a thing that Planetarion could need.

Would it cost anything?
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 21:58   #33
pig
1up on you

I said it was a great idea, as did others.

I merely pointed out that I and many others who have a life outside of pa and portray this life on facebook wouldn't add it.

It would not cost a thing, apart from it being coded.
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 22:23   #34
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

all my facebooks friends are guys i knew from planetarion anyway. they asked me to sign up to facebook... noone in this country uses that profilesite, so i wouldn't mind the add-on.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 22:25   #35
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

KoeN has facebook?

/me deletes account
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 22:25   #36
pig
1up on you

I wouldn't mind it myself, if I could hide it, but then what would be the point of it!
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 23:46   #37
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Well it is.
you and your friends really believe that eh?
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jul 2007, 00:13   #38
Red-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I wouldn't mind it myself, if I could hide it, but then what would be the point of it!
You do realise there is a real world out there, after the shallowness and popboy teenage years?

I mean omg, if you cant admit to having fun with PA and your embarrased about it then delete your account and go hang out with your facebook friends.
Unread 25 Jul 2007, 00:26   #39
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

KoeN only got on facebook cos of planetarion people bugging him :P

I can see a few issues with this.
Firstly, hands up who has any idea how to make facebook apps? I don't :P

Secondly, giving out rankings on facebook makes it pretty much instant for people to find out your co-ordinates. This would be the same with having personalised banners for the current round. I'm not sure how many people would accept this (though these days some people seem more relaxed about their co-ords than in the past).

Finally, I'm not sure it'd be possible to play planetarion via facebook at all without coding an entirely new frontend for it...and they'd have to act with a security layer over the database... it'd be pretty complex
Unread 25 Jul 2007, 06:46   #40
pig
1up on you

Quote:
You do realise there is a real world out there, after the shallowness and popboy teenage years?

I mean omg, if you cant admit to having fun with PA and your embarrased about it then delete your account and go hang out with your facebook friends.
That's pretty much what I did this weekend. I didn't login and had a 4 day party.

Obviously you don't use facebook, so you can't understand the social importance facebook has.
Unread 25 Jul 2007, 07:29   #41
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
KoeN only got on facebook cos of planetarion people bugging him :P

I can see a few issues with this.
Firstly, hands up who has any idea how to make facebook apps? I don't :P
_o/

Quote:
Secondly, giving out rankings on facebook makes it pretty much instant for people to find out your co-ordinates. This would be the same with having personalised banners for the current round. I'm not sure how many people would accept this (though these days some people seem more relaxed about their co-ords than in the past).
Nobody* cares. Really, nobody cares.

In any case, who said anything about having to give out planet rankings?

* OK, I don't care and I don't believe that anyone else should. They probably do, but they're wrong and we shouldn't indulge idiots.

Quote:
Finally, I'm not sure it'd be possible to play planetarion via facebook at all without coding an entirely new frontend for it...and they'd have to act with a security layer over the database... it'd be pretty complex
You say this despite saying that you know nothing about Facebook apps . I think it'd be pretty easy, though I know nothing about the back-end PA code
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jul 2007, 09:36   #42
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
_o/
There's always one

Quote:
Nobody* cares. Really, nobody cares.

In any case, who said anything about having to give out planet rankings?
"It'd be nice to have a banner with my rank on it.." etc ^^

Quote:
You say this despite saying that you know nothing about Facebook apps . I think it'd be pretty easy, though I know nothing about the back-end PA code
There isn't any. There's the database, and the webpages. We're slowly creating more sub routines, but most of the "day to day" stuff is performed in the code on the web pages.
Unread 25 Jul 2007, 11:02   #43
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is Rob volunteering to look into coding something for Planetarion, for use on Facebook? \o/
Unread 25 Jul 2007, 11:02   #44
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Haha. No.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jul 2007, 11:07   #45
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
Secondly, giving out rankings on facebook makes it pretty much instant for people to find out your co-ordinates. This would be the same with having personalised banners for the current round. I'm not sure how many people would accept this (though these days some people seem more relaxed about their co-ords than in the past).(
You don't have the give out exact ranks imho, something saying "Im ranked in the top 10/50/100/200/500/1000" kind of thing would do.

If the passport idea also could be scaled down to an implementable level rather than the impossible to implement version thats been floating around since r5 (ie. we are supplied with a single login for life to play PA, we then have to click another button each round to start our planet) so that we could have a basic history of our performance each round that would be a good thing to be able to include also so we have something like

r22 - Curently Ranked Top100
r21 - name of name End Rank: 40
r20 - name of name End Rank:500

ect ect.

As for those people saying they would be ashamed of putting PA on their accounts. How bloody sad are you all, your a member of a bloody social network site which in itself says alot more about you all than the fact you play an online game (Things like you all being sheep, who jump on trends to feel hip and trendy and the fact that your all so bothered about blending in that you have no individuality or abilty to make up your own mind about things. Infact if your going to just act as a bland faceless person whos the same as everyone else on a scoial network then what on earth are you all doing wasting your time on them as surely the point is to express yourself
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jul 2007, 19:59   #46
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
As for those people saying they would be ashamed of putting PA on their accounts. How bloody sad are you all, your a member of a bloody social network site which in itself says alot more about you all than the fact you play an online game (Things like you all being sheep, who jump on trends to feel hip and trendy and the fact that your all so bothered about blending in that you have no individuality or abilty to make up your own mind about things. Infact if your going to just act as a bland faceless person whos the same as everyone else on a scoial network then what on earth are you all doing wasting your time on them as surely the point is to express yourself)
You forgot to close the brackets. I have done that for you.

Facebook isn't about meeting people you don't know, it's about staying in touch with those that you do. I do express myself, I'm not a bland and boring person (although let's face it, your posts hardly show you to be someone who is interesting) and facebook whilst it isn't essential it helps you keep in touch with friends.

Many of my friends live across the UK and across the world. I like communicating with people and staying in touch with my friends. Facebook is the ideal way to do so. It also allows me to share pictures with other friends and friends can share pictures with me etc.

I must stress the point, you only speak to friends. Not randoms. Friends.
Unread 25 Jul 2007, 22:53   #47
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Im cool enough not to care. Ill even endorse it on my myspace page!
Unread 25 Jul 2007, 23:00   #48
furball

I'm with pig here.

I played Planetarion for six years but it's hardly something I shout from the rooftops. Hey guys, today I increased my numbers and made another person's numbers go down!!! Let's face it, we're all a bit sad for continuing to be involved in this game and no amount of bluster is going to change that.

Facebook is the ultimate social networking device. You're in contact with a huge number of acquaintances - I have over 300, and I know people with more - and telling them all that I still play Planetarion isn't something I want to do. You can call this shallow, and from the perspective of a true internet warrior you'd probably be right.

But out in the real world, the one where you meet people of the opposite sex and have sexytime with them, internet browser games aren't cool and never will be. That's why I'd never use such an application if it existed.
Unread 13 Aug 2007, 05:15   #49
gergith

how about something a little different, how about just an iframe that lets you play the game

sort of like the pets game on facebook

you dontnecesarily have to let people knwo you have it

its just an iframe with autologin so you can have it in one place
Unread 13 Aug 2007, 12:39   #50
Moose
Moosies Gonna Get You!!

Moose is an unknown quantity at this point

I strongly agree with pig on this, i havnt played PA for as long as most but I have done for prob 2 or 3 years. I cant beleive that some people take this game so seriously, i mean its a game ffs and some go for days without sleeping because they wana cap some "roids!". Dont get me wrong i do enjoy playing and i would admit to people that I do play but as a rugby player if i was to turn up on a sat mornin and say sorry lads i cant play im ****ed i was up all night cappin sum roids and sending ships i would get the p*ss ripped outa me so bad!! lol, although it would be funny they would never let me live it down. i dont think my gf would be too impressed either!

And i can say i would'nt sacrifice a night out with the boys or anything for a game its not worth it. And some do, u know who u are!

As i just left school after my A-Levels, facebook is a way i can keep in touch with all my friends from school and find out what they're all doing without having to ring / text them all individually. and also to get to know people in my uni.

So to wrap it up i wouldnt advertise to people that I play PA, and unfortunately non sport online gaming isnt very socially accepted in the UK. its a great game and I have made some great online mates through it and I hold my hands up and respect those of you that say you dont care what others think but unfortunately I do.