User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 7 Oct 2005, 21:05   #1
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Golf

Yay or nay? Just interested. I find out lately that most people actually play it or have tried it.

I see a lot of golf on tv lately and there's more and more brands getting involved in this. Friends say it's superbly relaxing and a magazine I read claimed that most business deals are now done on a golf course, not in the traditional restaurant or brothel*.

* whatever is told to the wife
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 21:45   #2
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Golf

I vote nay

One of my ex gf's family went to a driving range once and invited me.
Big mistake.
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 22:10   #3
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

hockey
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 22:13   #4
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

skiddy and kura both play, i don't, draw your own conclusions
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 22:13   #5
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

world of warcraft
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 22:17   #6
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

even i wasn't geeky enough to bring up WoW fs
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 22:34   #7
Zero
uber pe0n

Zero will become famous soon enoughZero will become famous soon enough

Worst thing about golf is that if you are crap (like me) then you eith get bored with it and do something else or get really into it, thus getting really pissed off with wourself fof slicing every shot and ending 100 over par.

Personally i gave up when my mother beat me.
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 22:36   #8
roadrunner_0
cynic

to be fair (and as an add on to my eariler post) i do believe that both skiddy and kura like playing quite a lot
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 22:37   #9
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i live in a town where there are no less then 10 golf courses within an hours drive TOPS, two of which are world class ones which have hosted the open.
Im sick to the back teeth of the sport, and no, i dont play it.
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 22:40   #10
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Insert Winston Churchill quote here.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 23:55   #11
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Absolutely wonderful game
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 00:03   #12
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

It's alright to play, but as somebody already mentioned if you're bad at it then it gets pretty frustrating after a while. I've been to play quite a few times now and it seems practise doesn't actually make perfect

Golf lessons are probably the way to go I guess, but I couldn't really be bothered in the end as it was too much effort.
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 00:20   #13
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Yes i agree. If you choose to play golf you must make the decision whether you want to play for fun or to play in a slightly more serious manner (i.e fun but properly). If you want to play properly you have to take lessons, if not your stroke and play will pick up bad habits that you'll find incredibly hard to shake off.

If you just want to play for fun and don't care that you wont improve (usually) beyond +5 --> + 10 on a 9 hole then don't take lessons.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 00:58   #14
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

FOREEEE (FOURRR?)
couldn't resist :-)

Things like golf have always been where business deals have been made. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the major places (along with restaurants) that deals are unofficially sorted out over the last 5-10 years.

Golf is now apparently "so uncool it's cool", and like cricket [seemed to be] it does seem to be more on the rise. I've not really played golf much personally, as I can usually just about manage crazy golf.
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 01:49   #15
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

One of my workmates recently took up golf. Mainly because he wanted to bond with his fiance's Dad :\ But he really likes it. In fact he likes it rather too much and bores the rest of us to tears giving us a hit by hit account of every hole he plays, every time he plays. He lost 8 balls on Wednesday you know. :sigh:

The moral of the story is thus - by all means play golf but for the love of GOD don't post detailed threads about it on GD :)

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 01:50   #16
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
The moral of the story is thus - by all means play golf but for the love of GOD don't post detailed threads about it on GD unless you want people to ignore even more of your posts and laugh at you at GD meets
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 11:48   #17
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I have started playing in about the last year but not often enough to really improve. I generally just go to the driving range with the golf society where you can get some free lessons as well. Good laugh despite my shitness.

My crowning moment though was probably when I mishit the ball so badly it managed to hit the inside roof of the driving range and nearly smacked me on the head when it came down.
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 18:43   #18
Reidy
I AM THE ONE & ONLY

Reidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
Absolutely wonderful game

Blind Faith - FTM
Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 22:57   #19
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

I do play fairly regularly, although not as often as I would like to. Haven't hit a ball in nearly three months - prior to that I played golf more often than I went to work (benefits of business on the golf course!)

Now, I'm living down south, within easy driving distance of many courses. The guy who I'm living with plays regularly so I should be able to pick up my game again.

Just gotta make the time.

On the plus side, I'm off to the Open next year at Liverpool. That is if I don't get tickets for the Ryder Cup.

Which is good.

But no, I won't bore any of you with tales of the latest game I've played. As you've probably noticed, this is one of the first times I've posted about my playing, other than a couple of times with Kura or JC in other threads which now rest peacefully in the annals of GD.

On a slightly sad note, it is in my will that my headstone will say

Par [insert age here]
Just hit it and hope
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 23:03   #20
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Not a fan

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 23:54   #21
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

How long would it take to achieve a level where you 'can play' on average?
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 00:11   #22
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Golf can be quite expensive if you get into it. I played for awhile when I had the time, but haven't played in years. It can be peaceful or aggrevating depending on your personality. I tend to get a bit competitive and didn't play well enough to support this. I had to start playing at different courses all the time so that I wouldn't have an expectation of what I should be doing. Golf courses are beautiful for the most part and with the right attitude it is a lot of fun. If you want to get good then you should take some lessons right off so that you can start off on the right foot. Once you develope a bad habit it is much more difficult to correct it.
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 00:24   #23
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Depends on a few factors.

How much time you have to play / spend on the driving range.
How physically fit you are.
What clubs you have.

The first one is fairly obvious to everyone - even those on the forums who don't play will tell you that. If I play football for two hours every day, I will eventually get to a quality where I can play for a local Sunday or pub team faster than someone who plays for two hours a week - based on us both starting at the same initial skill level.

The second point could be more controversial, in that many of you may simply think the height of your physical fitness required to play golf is the ability to walk 7000 yards or so. Wrong. I play golf with many people. One guy is rather large. By rather large I'm talking around 19st. He can't play. He can hit a ball straight, but he gets no power. Another guy is thin, probably my build. He can't hit a ball straight. He can hit it with reasonable power though. Both are caused by them not being physically fit. I don't mean as in Royal Marines fit, I mean being able to move. The entire swing is in your upper body. Twisting it, coiling it like a spring, unleashing hell. If you aren't fit, then you don't have the movement and the flexability to do this properly. Forget running, body building, gym work (to an extent) - just play and exercise at home. Put your arms across your chest as if you were SCUBA diving backwards off a boat. Stand there and twist your upper body so you can twist 180. Don't use your hips, don't use your legs - and keep your head perfectly centered and still. Do this for ten minutes or so, gently, every day and there's your fitness.

Third is obviously going to be the most controversial statement. Ok, it doesn't matter that much at a beginner or amature level, but you don't see Montgomery, Garcia, Els, Woods etc playing with an £80 set of clubs from Sports World or something. Clubs do make a difference. If you're older, then get graphite shafts - the flex will make up somewhat for a slower or less rounded upper body twist. If you're younger, get steel shafts - you get slightly better control out of them. If your just beginning, get cavity backed irons. Get oversized irons if you feel the need. You'll get more forgiving shots, again due to bigger sweetspot and weighted heads. Once you get more comfortable, move on to blades. They'll give you less forgiveness, but more control.

Regardless of what clubs you get, go to somewhere like a pro shop - or if budget dictates, American Golf stores. Find a set of clubs that you like and get your swing with them analysed. Then they'll adjust the shafts to your swing and you'll make better shots.

You get the idea.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 11:42   #24
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Im teeing off at 1pm today, playing a course thats long, windy , and covered in a horrific amount of gorse.

On the plus side , theres no bunkers. This is due to the fact that as the course is on a cliffside, if its windy , the bunkers wouldnt last 5 minutes.

And Skiddy STILL hasnt flown over here for a game.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 16:42   #25
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

When I start with something new I always kind of hope I was born for it and that people will go like 'look at this amazing talent' and I will play many opens and win teh moneis.

Sadly I think I will have to practise much and painstakingly improve very little.
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 11:47   #26
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Golf is a great game if you have the patience to master it. Technique really is everything. Two of my housemates play for Cardiff University (both have 3 handicaps), and I wander down to the range with them every now and then.