User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 May 2005, 21:25   #1
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
whatever happend to btefnet?

did they get shut down or something?
where do you get your episodes of family guy from now?
Unread 18 May 2005, 21:30   #2
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: whatever happend to btefnet?

MPAA are targetting TV show sharing atm, was on all the news sites a few days ago
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2005, 21:40   #3
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

so where do you get your family guy, my epesode three download is still going from tuesday or something!
Unread 18 May 2005, 21:51   #4
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
so where do you get your family guy, my epesode three download is still going from tuesday or something!
try:
isohunt.com
torrentspy.com
torrentreactor.net
piratebay.org

etc..

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 23 May 2005 at 00:32.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2005, 22:01   #5
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

How ****ing shit, I only use BTEfnet for getting series that arent out over here yet. When is this crusade against file sharing going to end?
Unread 18 May 2005, 22:04   #6
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

When the govt steps in for the mpaa and gives filesharing the death penalty?
Unread 18 May 2005, 22:05   #7
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Piratebay will taken 7 years to shutdown thanks to the loophole in the Swedish system meaning MPAA would have to go through the European Commission for a court hearing which would take 7 years.

^^ Well not exactly but something along those lines.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2005, 22:33   #8
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

BeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the rough

The MPAA just sued/shut down 6 tv-torrent sites. Btefnet was one of them (and imo the best).
There's still torrentspy and isohunt out there though. But isohunt only searches for torrents, doesn't actually host trackers etc and the guy isn't US so they can't shut him down. But as he doesn't host the torrents, if they shut down the sites with them on then isohunts pretty useless. Oh well :s Lets wait for a non-rubbish, 'lite' version of exeem and maybe things will be ok!
R4: Seal left to ReCon then TRT (ReBorn)
R5-8: Don't remember exact order, but, ReBorn, Silver, Legends
R9: Didn't Play
R9.5-11: FAnG Defence Genius & later HC
R12: LCH Defence Genius
R13 and beyond: Angels Genius
BeeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2005, 23:37   #9
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

i got my latest family guy fix from torrentspy early monday morning so i'm still \0/

Bastards at the MPAA should be shot with an bad aids rocket.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2005, 23:51   #10
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

No.

There's aids.

Then there's bad aids.

I forget what part the rocket plays.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2005, 09:57   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

BTE shut down their site before the MPAA had a chance to sue (presumably they received a threatening letter or something).
Following that, "it all kicked off" back in #bt on EfNet (for those of you not aware of why the site was called BTEfNet, go do the maths please), the ops got the hump, suspended the IRC torrent download triggers and +m'd the channel for 2 or 3 days.

At the moment if you join the channel there is a periodic notice every 10 minutes or so which reads as follows:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT-Serv
<@BT-Serv> [Request] Message:[#BT will no longer be releasing any torrents in this channel or have a website. We will continue producing torrents which will be available on the net through various sources. Thank you for your support through the years. --- The #BT Team] - SysReset 2.51
In other words, they've thrown a strop and you'll need to get your shit elsewhere, yo.
I suggest unrealtorrents.

This syndicated news update brought to you by megla publications.
Unread 19 May 2005, 10:08   #12
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

tvtorrents.com is nice. you need to register and there is some kind of system that ensures that you more or less upload as much as you download, but still, for tv-shows its quite good.
(edit: used to be, its so slow now, its not useable anymore)

Last edited by wu_trax; 19 May 2005 at 10:25.
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2005, 13:43   #13
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

Who the **** gets torrents from an IRC channel?
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2005, 13:53   #14
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
BTE shut down their site before the MPAA had a chance to sue (presumably they received a threatening letter or something).
Following that, "it all kicked off" back in #bt on EfNet (for those of you not aware of why the site was called BTEfNet, go do the maths please), the ops got the hump, suspended the IRC torrent download triggers and +m'd the channel for 2 or 3 days.

At the moment if you join the channel there is a periodic notice every 10 minutes or so which reads as follows:

In other words, they've thrown a strop and you'll need to get your shit elsewhere, yo.
I suggest unrealtorrents.
I was about to say the same, however as far as I was aware the stoppage was temporary, I grabbed a couple of torrents from there only a day or two ago.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2005, 18:56   #15
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
tvtorrents.com is nice. you need to register and there is some kind of system that ensures that you more or less upload as much as you download, but still, for tv-shows its quite good.
(edit: used to be, its so slow now, its not useable anymore)
I still use it and it's ok for some things.
Unread 20 May 2005, 00:47   #16
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
I still use it and it's ok for some things.
i like the page itself too, even that upload-requirement is ok (if you seed it counts double or something, so that you dont even need to upload as much as you downloaded), it just wont load for me anymore, i always get timeout errors
Unread 20 May 2005, 01:09   #17
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

BeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super
I don't. But I assume the reason some people do is because it's then harder to monitor who downloads them than if they were getting them from a webserver.
BeeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 May 2005, 08:22   #18
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super
As with most things, IRC was the birthplace of torrent release groups (IRC: hosting shadey activities since 1988!) so is the logical place to start releasing. The same goes for MP3 groups, DivX groups, etc etc way back before bittorrent. There are many tens if not hundreds more "getcher copyrighted material here" channels than there are websites, and anonymity is a factor - IRC servers don't tend to keep logs of who even joins them, never mind what channels they were in, and there are other fairly obvious ways to avoid being tracked.

So in answer to the question: the people who've been doing it 2 years before you even heard of it.
Unread 20 May 2005, 12:43   #19
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

IRC servers iirc send their data as plain text too, to each other.
If you wanted to find out who people are ( from a govt point of view ) , then all you need to do is wiretap one of the servers, and you instantly get every channel text, every pm etc since the servers send everything to each other to keep in sync. The only things you dont get are dcc chats and dcc transfers. but you do get the 'notification' messages that one has been requested
Unread 20 May 2005, 13:44   #20
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

a) there are no shortage of non-US servers.
b) wiretap on suspicion copyright infringment is VERY unlikely even in the US
c) many torrent/similar channels use CTCP triggers to get listings etc instead of channel/PM
d) and even if notification can be caught (debateable) the content of it can't so for all they know it could be a CTCP ping
Unread 20 May 2005, 22:18   #21
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
As with most things, IRC was the birthplace of torrent release groups (IRC: hosting shadey activities since 1988!) so is the logical place to start releasing. The same goes for MP3 groups, DivX groups, etc etc way back before bittorrent. There are many tens if not hundreds more "getcher copyrighted material here" channels than there are websites, and anonymity is a factor - IRC servers don't tend to keep logs of who even joins them, never mind what channels they were in, and there are other fairly obvious ways to avoid being tracked.

So in answer to the question: the people who've been doing it 2 years before you even heard of it.
Oh right, because it's old it's obviously the best way :q:. I'll stick to my sources I think.

p.s. what happens when someone gets the torrent from the IRC chan, notes down all of the IPs and reports back to the RIAA/MPAA?

Last edited by Super; 20 May 2005 at 22:31.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2005, 10:02   #22
wu_trax

just wondering: on what legal basis do they shut down these sides? surely there is nothing illegal about the torrent-files themselfs, or even only linking to them on another server (they contain no copyrighted material). if anything they can sue only the people who run the trackers.
Unread 21 May 2005, 10:22   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
just wondering: on what legal basis do they shut down these sides? surely there is nothing illegal about the torrent-files themselfs, or even only linking to them on another server (they contain no copyrighted material). if anything they can sue only the people who run the trackers.
If it is actually illegal, case closed.

If it isn't, there is no way that a small, usually free, internet site can compete with a large representation of corporate interests once the lawyers get involved, so many just drop it instead of challenging something which they suspect to be unlawful but can't afford to see through.

It's the same problem that the US has with patent law. If a big company gets its hands on a patent, then, as the only way to challenge a patent appears to be "getting sued for breach of patent", many people just live with it.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote