User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Apr 2005, 19:27   #101
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Election 2005

Even if I did give the odds right near the start of the thread?

I'll let you off cos it's your birthday
Unread 8 Apr 2005, 19:38   #102
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakoff
Ste - Lib Dems will not get in power. There is absolutely no chance at all. They perhaps have a chance at being the opposition party.
Anything's possible. Yes I'm being pedantic but it's still possible.

100/1 is probably being kind. I'd put it nearer 500/1.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2005, 01:39   #103
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Election 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
it is possible the lib dems will get in...
About as possible as Yahwe being elected as the next Pope.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2005, 01:44   #104
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

they offered

i said no
Unread 9 Apr 2005, 01:53   #105
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
they offered

i said no
i would of said no too, no sex EVER :/
Unread 9 Apr 2005, 01:54   #106
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Office of Pontiff = skirt magnet
Unread 9 Apr 2005, 01:56   #107
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Office of Pontiff = skirt magnet
maybe but you cant follow through, the best you could hope for is a choir boy as thats accepted in the catholic church so i hear
Unread 9 Apr 2005, 01:57   #108
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
maybe but you cant follow through,
Yes you can.
Unread 9 Apr 2005, 10:24   #109
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakoff
Ste - Lib Dems will not get in power. There is absolutely no chance at all. They perhaps have a chance at being the opposition party.
People keep saying this, but I don't see it. The Lib-Dems will make quite a few advances but mainly in urban areas where people will turn away from Labour because of Iraq and various other "betrayls".

I don't see the Tories losing many seats to the Lib-Dems however. So unless Labour suffers a major melt-down I don't see the Lib Dems becoming the opposition - our electoral system just doesn't work like that.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2005, 11:05   #110
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
People keep saying this, but I don't see it. The Lib-Dems will make quite a few advances but mainly in urban areas where people will turn away from Labour because of Iraq and various other "betrayls".

I don't see the Tories losing many seats to the Lib-Dems however. So unless Labour suffers a major melt-down I don't see the Lib Dems becoming the opposition - our electoral system just doesn't work like that.
The best thing for all concerned would probably be for the Lib Dems to make gains in the Labour heartlands of the North East (which isn't as implausable as it sounds; Durham has a Lib Dem dominated council* after aeons of Labour control), which would either make Labour see the LD as a legitimate threat, or at least get them to do something for the north or risk losing their majority if the infection spreads.

*Although having said that, the LibDems do exceptionally well in local elections for some reason, and this may not be indicative of a greater trend.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2005, 14:50   #111
zakoff
Evul Critter

zakoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:

it certainly does. Many of the seats the Lib Dems are seriously trying to contest are Conservative seats. If Labour get an average result and lose many seats to the Lib Dems and not to the conservatives and the Conservatives lose many seats to the Lib dems its is easily possible for Lib dem to become the opposition.

The tories wont lose their main seats in London and the South East, but they sit on many seats where their position is insecure.

however, i do agree that Lib Dem will find it hard to compete in the seriously conservative areas, but they are areas where Labour could easily take seats. Labour are fighting quite hard for some of the London seats in Conservative heartland areas and have a average chance of getting some of them. So swings from Conservative - Labour and from Labour - Lib Dem in different areas is quite possible.

I must admit that being Lib Dem the whole real opposition is just a distant hope - I don't think Lib Dem will become the opposition party but i'm damn sure they will have their best result ever. Lib Dem could also quite easily gain from a Hung Parliament.
Unread 9 Apr 2005, 14:59   #112
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If someone were to put a gun to my head I'd prefer Conservatives to win, but I wont be voting. Even laying aside my objections to elections in general, it isnt going to make much difference as long as it's a choice between the current major parties. Having said that, if I thought the liberal democracts looked like having a chance of winning, I'd probably vote in favour of their strongest opposition.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2005, 14:12   #113
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

There are no parties I wish to vote for so I shall spoil my ballot in protest at the lack of a "None of the above" option. I shall also write to my local parties to tell them this.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2005, 14:20   #114
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'll be spoiling. It'll get me out of the flat if nothing else.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 11:00   #115
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
The Lib Dems have much more interesting policies than either of the two 'main' parties.
thats cos they know they arent going to win.

my mp in stafford is david kidney. tory seat before 97, has a 5k majority. to be fair to him he did resign his junior ministership over objections to the iraq war. but he voted with blair on practically everything else.

my mp in manchester is the lovely gerald kaufman. he has an 11k majority.

im trying to decide which constituency it would be best to spoil my paper in. if i go for stafford it means a postal vote and im not happy about that, what if some **** intercepts it and uses it to cast a vote for one of the candidates? i just cant take the risk, gonna have to spoil in manchester i think.

as for respect and gorgeous george. he's an absolute joke in an absolute joke of the party. an alliance of swappies and reactionary muslims. lovely stuff. was very happy to see them get nothing out of the european elections and will be delighted when they get nothing in the general election.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 12:52   #116
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'll be voting lib dem, yet again

im not sure how many times it should be said in this thread until someone listens but... the tories have NO CHANCE. It is virtually impossible that a majoraty of this size could be overturned in a single term without some kind of economic disaster.

the best i can hope for is that LD gain some more seats, and the conservatives do too, but ONLY so labour suffers enough of a loss that they oust blair. The main reason theyre keeping him atm is because he is such a good confirmed "election winner" and if their majoraty was slashed, the party could well revolt. Which would be nice.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 13:01   #117
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

I just want Tony Blair to be kicked out by his MPs. I wouldn't really mind a Gordon Brown-led Labour Government for the next few years. (Obviously I'd prefer a Tory one, but unless Tony Blair appears on live television eating a baby within the next few weeks that's not going to happen.)
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 13:09   #118
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The problem is the people in the labour party who will take the brunt of the dislike of Blair are the backbenchers who will be out of a job.
The Blairites, who are the more right-wing mp's, are in safe seats that will be almost impossible to lose.

For example, Alan Simpson (Nottingham south) has stayed true to his more traditional Labour values and is in danger of losing his seat.

A link SYMM posted earlier has pretty good advice if you're anti-war and anti-conservative. - http://strategicvoter.org.uk/home.html
It also gives an indication of how each constituency will end up based on the latest polls.

Basically in Nottingham there is no hope, but in Sheffield it's worth voting Lib Dem... May have to take that advice.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 13:19   #119
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

I gave up ages ago on Labour MPs booting out Tony Blair because they have consciences or integrity. The only hope I have left is that they'll realise that their party is popular in spite of, rather than because of, our beloved leader, and kick him out in hope of being re-elected.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 15:41   #120
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

What confuses me is why Labour didn't get rid of Tony Blair prior to this election. If Gordon Brown was standing for election (even though he is a socialist), labour would have won this election by a landslide.

People simply like and trust Gordon more than they do Blair, and those who are concerned with Labour especially due to the Iraq war etc.. would be more comfortable with a left wing Brown. It is almost as if Tony is the one that is putting unnecessary strain on Labours re-election chances.

The stubborn bastard
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 22:03   #121
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
The destruction of the Soviet Union <i>in the manner that it happened</i> was one of the worst thing that could have happened to the people of that region. Under almost every economic measure imaginable they are worse now (in real terms) than they were in the period before Gorbachev.
But this is quite pointedly not Galloway's argument. He continues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Galloway
if there was a Soviet Union today, we would not be having this conversation about plunging into a new war in the Middle East, and the US would not be rampaging around the globe.
This man is not arguing from some kind of set of humanitarian principles, elucidating his heartbreak at the fact that children in Bukovina have to go bearfoot, or whatever. In this argument, the USSR was good. It was good because it prevented a global counterbalance to the west. Well, it did. But the USSR was not good because of it, nor should it be moruned for it. The USSR was a villanous system which deserved it's fate, and now, thank God, the world can move on. Galloway is arguing, essentially, that the continuance of totalitarianism is a good thing. When does it end? I suppose when brute totalitarianism is triumphant, and free markets and things like Democracy and rights are extirpated from our global life, we can all do some rejoicing and move on towards Socialism.

Galloway quite clearly couldn't give a flying fig about the people that had to live under this system, anymore than he did about the people of Iraq. It's notable that in the 80's, the elimination of the Saddam regime was a cause celebre of exactly this same sort of people, and yet when it is faced precisely with that destruction which they championed, it is a 'bad cause'.

This is the problem with the hard left, and one which is sometimes evident on these very boards from certain people; (Not you, Dante.) they become so fixated on their hatred of America, that they become essential amoral and totally abandon their principles in favour of this kind of hypocrisy.

Quote:
I don't really see what's wrong with this per se, in the context of a Western invasion of Iraq.
I think he actually said this to Saddam in about 1994. I could be wrong on that.

Quote:
but it doesn't seem unreasonable to give them some props when they are facing an onslought from the imperialist powers. Same with Milosevic.
Praising murderers is good when they might be attacked by someone you're not too keen on? What?

Quote:
I don't understand why Galloway met with Saddam (and I don't care that much tbh) but if you are then it seems rather pointless to sit there calling him a tosser.
This is forcing Galloway into a choice which he did not have to make. Tony Benn, Ted Heath and others flew to Baghdad around the time of the first Gulf War to argue with Saddam personally for hostage release, and none of them, as far as I know, saluted him, metaphorically or otherwise, for his courage or his indefatigability. Some kind of 'diplomatic courtesy' argument is not an excuse for these kinds of statements.

Quote:
As for Respect's "allies", again it depends what your aims are. If I form an anti-war group in my local community centre and some Muslims (who are traditional Muslims) turn up, what do I do? Tell 'em to '**** off darkies'? So I let them join and then we are doing really well so I decide to run for office on an anti-war platform. My muslim friends (who are passionately anti-abortionists, as are a couple of the catholic members of our group) offer to campaign on my behalf? What do I say exactly? No, because you don't fit my ethical profile on another level? Where does it stop? Should I refuse the help of anti-war Christians?
But you could also argue that any form of political group action has to be founded on a broadly coherent, shared platform to make it in any way worthwhile. I don't like Brussel Sprouts, but if the BNP offered to go on an anti-Brussel Sprouts march with me, then I'd tell them to go and **** themselves.

I do agree with you to an extent, but it seems emimently more reasonable, if you were not supporting the war, to merely support a much more unified group or party which is not faced with this kind of nonsense which Respect evidently is.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 11 Apr 2005 at 22:10.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 22:32   #122
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
What confuses me is why Labour didn't get rid of Tony Blair prior to this election.
You make it sound like something which could be done in a few minutes, almost as an afterthought.

The only way Blair going could have happened is if Brown had sanctioned a concerted campaign against him, or had Blair chosen to resign. Brown would not have openly started hostilities, as it would both A) have tore the party to **** and B) simultaneously relegated him to PM for about a year or two, and then Leader of the Opposition for a party thrust back to the kind of infighting of the 1980's and thus opposition for a generation, at best.

Better to just get this election over with, have Tone on a reduced majority, and ease his departure at some point in the next few years.

Brown takes over, recieves a slightly increased majority in the 2009 General Election, Tony goes off to bongo-bongo land to work as EU special something or other, everyone is happy.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 11 Apr 2005 at 22:38.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 23:07   #123
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

when Michael Howard warned today that re-electing Labour would mean "five more years of smirking", did he not realise this could backfire in Newcastle where they'd assume it meant they were exempt from the cigarette ban?
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 23:12   #124
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
when Michael Howard warned today that re-electing Labour would mean "five more years of smirking",
Which is strange considering Michael Howard can't stop grinning.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 23:19   #125
zakoff
Evul Critter

Quote:
This man is not arguing from some kind of set of humanitarian principles, elucidating his heartbreak at the fact that children in Bukovina have to go bearfoot, or whatever.
Isn't Bukovina in Romania? (there is only a little bit that was in USSR which is now Ukraine??)

George Galloway is partially write about the USSR though. The counterbalance gave the West something to concentrate its hate on, something to demonise that was material. Instead of us fearing a known enemy that has nuclear weapons that are about to destroy the world, we fear the hidden terrorists. With the threat of the USSR, the USA would be able to justify its 400billion dollar spending on defence without inventing threats and enemies (Iraq now for instance and Iran/Syria/North Korea eventually) therefore making the world more peaceful.

Some of the things George Galloway said about Iraq were also quite well observed. He understood that Saddams role in Iraqi society as a figure of control was vital for the stability of the country and was stopping anarchy. His point proved once the Americans got there. His ideology on such things is not more stupid that the new right. Blair/Bush thought the Iraqi's would be 'happy' to see them etc...

However, I quite agree that George Galloway is a dummy. He made this clear on many occasions. RESPECT is just as pathetic as Veritas and it wont get anywhere. His meeting Saddam was not an issue, its the blinding support he gave for the guy and the personal friendship he created with him. Apparently George Galloway is allowed to visit Saddam in prison now? or something

Zar - Brown is not a hardcore Socialist at all. Most of his economic structures etc worked in a very non-socialist fashion. He is only reputed to be a hardcore socialist because of his beliefs in social policy and welfare etc. You also have to remember that Blair has a lot of support within the Labour party and Brown may cause rifts etc. Someone even went as far to call Brown 'Tribal' because he rewards supporters and shuns people who criticise him. Blair is just openly dictorial

Quote:
Tony goes off to bongo-bongo land
I love Alan Clarke - I'd have voted for him (comedy vote!)
Unread 12 Apr 2005, 15:14   #126
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Carslaw (a 'senior Scots Tory')
The only person recorded as having said defeat is marvellous is Robert Mugabe's chiropodist.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:16   #127
Ste
Bored

Sorry for the bump, but anyone not sure who they're gonna vote for, a nice quick little questionnaire is at www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com
Make sure the submit button is at the bottom before you fill it in.

I got Lib Dem which didn't suprise me.

Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:30   #128
Marilyn Manson
Gone

You do realise that questionnaire is shit, and probably somewhat biased in faovur of the Lib Dems, don't you, Ste?
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:34   #129
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Labour -22
Conservative -6
Liberal Democrat 46
UK Independence Party 22
Green 31

What
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:34   #130
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
You do realise that questionnaire is shit, and probably somewhat biased in faovur of the Lib Dems, don't you, Ste?
somewhat?

i pretty much filled in the labour manifesto (with the exception of iraq) - pro-ID, pro-house arrest, pro-tuition fees - and came out as being OVERWHELMINGLY lib dem. it's really silly.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:37   #131
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

That questionaire is shit. It told me I should vote for Lib Dems which I expected largely because I stated I was against the war in Iraq and against ID cards and wouldn't lower taxes if it meant cutting public services.

Unfortunately we have a Lib Dem MP already and he is shit and does **** all for the area and I don't know who to vote for :((((((((((((

[Edit:]Who should I vote for?
Labour -32
Conservative -23
Liberal Democrat 41
UK Independence Party 6
Green 13

FS you wouldn't think I was a member of the Labour party till recently :\

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:38   #132
Ste
Bored

oh ok never mind.
Anyone find a better one?

Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:41   #133
Ste
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
Unfortunately we have a Lib Dem MP already and he is shit and does **** all for the area and I don't know who to vote for (((((((((((
The green manifesto seems pretty good.

Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:43   #134
Marilyn Manson
Gone

It gave me a minus score for Labour and a plus score for all the others, including UKIP, which was second from top. heh.
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:45   #135
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
oh ok never mind.
Anyone find a better one?
Why don't you just use your own brain to decide which party you want to vote for, if any, instead of some shit internet test?

I know it's a crazy concept, but it might just work!
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:49   #136
Ste
Bored

i know who I'm gonna vote for.
It was for the people that don't know who to vote for because they think the parties are the same. Or are voting for a party without really knowing what they stand for...

Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:51   #137
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
It was for the people that don't know who to vote for because they think the parties are the same. Or are voting for a party without really knowing what they stand for...
Those people shouldn't be voting anyway.
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:53   #138
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

We have Lab, Lib, Tory, SNP bastards or Scottish Socialists to choose from in my constituency.

I feel like weeping.

The Tory guy is Jamie McGrigor who is currently a member of the Scottish Parliament and I'm NOT going to go off on a rant about the fact that a sitting MSP is standing. No. I am not.

The current MP is Lib Dem and he is shit.

I hate the SNP.

The Scottish Socialist party. Hmmmm. I'd consider it. But they are pro independence

The Labour Candidate. Carolyn Manson (no relation I presume). I went for coffee with her last week and chatted to her for quite a while. She seems decent. Principled. But I don't know if I can bring myself to vote for a party who I fundamentally disagree with on so many things nowadays.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 15:56   #139
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
Mummy!
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 16:46   #140
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Edward Davey (nice chap)

well, he seems to be at least. Its nice living in one of the biggest lib dem majoraties too, very forward thinking of us.
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 17:53   #141
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Sorry for the bump, but anyone not sure who they're gonna vote for, a nice quick little questionnaire is at www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com
Make sure the submit button is at the bottom before you fill it in.

I got Lib Dem which didn't suprise me.
Labour -10
Conservative 49
Liberal Democrat -16
UK Independence Party 40
Green 33

It managed to get the party right for who I am voting for but the ranking of the rest is a bit off.
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 17:58   #142
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Labour 1
Conservative -2
Liberal Democrat 22
UK Independence Party -3
Green 17

All my numbers seem fairly low.
Green party? Lolz.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 18:12   #143
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_horn
arg! why do these damn threads grow so fast !
You mean (at the time of you posting this) under 10 posts a day?
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 18:49   #144
Marilyn Manson
Gone

http://www.newlabournaziscum.org/

Unread 17 Apr 2005, 18:54   #145
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
We don't want any of your pro-labour bias websites here, MM.
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 18:57   #146
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Actually I was posting it just so that Nod could come along and agree with it all.
Unread 18 Apr 2005, 18:45   #147
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

http://politicalsurvey2005.com/
has more questions and asks more about you, it gives quite a lot of analysis.

Apparently I'm most like the Greens (though it recognises not many people will actually vote for them, so lib-dem) when it comes to crime & punishment, europe and other international issues including immigration, and most like the tories (oh dear...) with regards to public and private involvement in the economy, international trade, redistributive taxation... and Iraq.
Unread 18 Apr 2005, 19:09   #148
zakoff
Evul Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
http://politicalsurvey2005.com/
has more questions and asks more about you, it gives quite a lot of analysis.

Apparently I'm most like the Greens (though it recognises not many people will actually vote for them, so lib-dem) when it comes to crime & punishment, europe and other international issues including immigration, and most like the tories (oh dear...) with regards to public and private involvement in the economy, international trade, redistributive taxation... and Iraq.
i always come out as lib dem, because i support and know most of their manifesto. The only part i don't agree with is their immigration policy.
Unread 18 Apr 2005, 19:15   #149
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That "How do you Vote" stuff fails to recognise the issues I find important.

But I come out as a Lib-Dem / Green or something equally faggot.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2005, 19:24   #150
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Compared to the whole population...

• 0.0% are significantly to your left
  • 0.0% have views about the same as yours
  • 100.0% are significantly to your right
Compared to the whole population...

• 12.2% are significantly to your left
  • 48.3% have views about the same as yours
  • 39.5% are significantly to your right
hmm.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées