User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Feb 2005, 09:54   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
So I'm opening an ISA...

...as in a blinding flash of inspiration (ok, i admit, it's actually the first time I bothered to give it any serious thought) I realised as I have a large interest free overdraft on my current account I might as well make it work for me.
Now, I was going to go with HSBC purely because all my accounts are there at the moment and i'll be able to manage it online with the others and do easy transfers etc. The rate is 4.25%.

Before I open it I was wondering if any of you financially savvy types know of any better deals or if I'm likely to get screwed somehow.

Ta.
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 10:09   #2
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light
Re: So I'm opening an ISA...

www.fool.co.uk have a lot of info on this kind of thing. They often email me with details of who have the best rates, but I dont seem to have one in my spam box just at present, it gets cleared out often. They do have a free brochure you can order and a lot of helpful info though.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 10:11   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You're making what now?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 11:20   #4
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

I suppose you're talking about a minicash ISA. Be warned that you will only be allowed to invest the max £3000 for this year (upto april 5th) and next year until April 5th 2006. After that the max allowed will be £1000 a year.

So yes you can get an ISA, i mean its still tax free savings at a high interest, but it doesnt look so attractive for the future, so explore your options if you have extra savings.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 11:48   #5
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Lloyds TSB and Egg both have 4.75% interest on their Internet savings accounts.
I've got mine in Egg and have for a while so don't know whether you'd get an introductory rate?
The Lloyds TSB one I am looking at as that's where my current account is, doesn't really make a difference but if the rates change on either one I can choose the better.
I've just come into £9k from inheritance! wahoo!

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 12:58   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah I'm aware of the 3 grand yearly cap, it doesn't bother me that much. My plan is to put my overdraft facility funds plus a bit more in immediately to make it up to 3 grand before the end of this tax year, then put in my student loan next year (as I've saved quite a bit from my current year in industry).

Zar: I was aware of the government's plans to lower the annual allowance but as far as i was aware it had not been approved. Do you have linkage to somewhere official saying so?
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 16:54   #7
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
I've just come into £9k from inheritance! wahoo!
Oh Brother, where art thou?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 17:08   #8
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Zar: I was aware of the government's plans to lower the annual allowance but as far as i was aware it had not been approved. Do you have linkage to somewhere official saying so?
Yes i had heard this aswell.

Googled this:

http://www.krbs.co.uk/savingsinvest/taxfree.htm

Not official site or a major bank but i doubt they would put such information up if it wasnt official information (being a bank and all.. legal stuff etc..).

I'll ask my bank tomorrow and see what they say
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 17:57   #9
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/1a0d49fc-44...00e2511c8.html

It appears he changed his mind, unless hes done it again since then.
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 18:01   #10
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

well ebany's post may be right.
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 18:09   #11
Ebany
Cute Kitten

I do also now have a full pdf copy of the pre-budget report, but I'm not bored anough to go rooting through all 262 pages to find the relevant part.

Also this stuff is all from December, so I don't know if things have changed since then. I dont recall hearing anything about it in the first place, so I dont know when it all started.
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 23:22   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Hmm, ta Ebany that looks slightly more hopeful.