User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:07   #1
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future
Degrees

Do any of you lot find that degrees are almost forgotten as soon as they are learnt?

Example:

Today i was asked by some second years (i'm a third) for some help on their Economics assignments. I couldn't remember how to do most of the questions and they completely stumped me.

It seems that all degrees do is test how good you are at digesting information in each semester, regurgitating it in the exam and forgetting it the week after. If i were to do my 2nd year exams today (without revision) i'd probably fail them all.

I'm also sitting on a 73% average
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:13   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Degrees

If you're not doing a holistic degree, then yes. However, useful degrees are holistic.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:16   #3
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
this is because the information learnt in your degree is almost entirely worthless beyond the confines of the degree itself. I remeber nothig from my degree yet I can quote you passages from Marx and Chomsky becasue they were actually inciteful and interesting. Economics in particular is a fairly pointless subject, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
no it's good news.

I've already realised by now how useless and boring my degree is.

I also now know im not the only one who is forgetting things.
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:16   #4
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I can't remember the specific details from quite a lot of last term's classes, but I'm far better at considering new problems and subjects than I was a year ago. It may perhaps be an oversimplification and it's certainly cliche, but I think a lot of what you get out of your degree does depend on whether your approach (and your subject) is geared towards simply learning factoids of information, or developing certain mental abilities (be it analytical problem solving, research techniques, critical evaluation, etcetera).

You may well fail your second year exams if you sat them tomorrow, but assuming your time has been well spent, you will be able to maneuver yourself into a position where you could pass them a LOT quicker than you could in your second year. Perhaps a few weeks at most?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:19   #5
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I can't remember the specific details from quite a lot of last term's classes, but I'm far better at considering new problems and subjects than I was a year ago. It may perhaps be an oversimplification and it's certainly cliche, but I think a lot of what you get out of your degree does depend on whether your approach (and your subject) is geared towards simply learning factoids of information, or developing certain mental abilities (be it analytical problem solving, research techniques, critical evaluation, etcetera).

You may well fail your second year exams if you sat them tomorrow, but assuming your time has been well spent, you may be able to maneuver yourself into a position where you could pass them a LOT quicker than you could in your second year. Perhaps a few weeks at most?
Yes i agree with this. I have become much more efficient at revising and digesting information and i can hold my newly gained knowledge for longer periods of time if i am constantly keeping in touch with them. I am also better at problem solving than i was fresh in the 1st year.

So essentially what we are saying is that degrees (especially ones like mine) teach you nothing useful (in the long term) about the subject, but merely how to approach and solve problems more efficiently!
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:21   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Also, it increases the resources at your disposal. You may not remember the precise details of theory X, or how to perform operation Y, but you know THAT such a theory or operation does exist. If you ever encounter a situation in the future where you need it, then it is trivial to look up the specific details. But if you had no knowledge of its existence, you couldnt even do this.
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:23   #7
Nodrog

Quote:
So essentially what we are saying is that degrees (especially ones like mine) teach you nothing useful (in the long term) about the subject, but merely how to approach and solve problems more efficiently!
I'd imagine it depends on both the degree, and yourself. It would be stupid to suggest that a physics degree teaches you nothing useful about physics. I've no idea whether Economics is actually useful (I suppose you'd have to define the end for which you wanted to utilise it), but if nothing else, I would assume it opens up new avenues for you to investigate if they interest you. You might encounter something in a lecture that seems to appeal, causing you to go away to look it up in more detail, and so on.
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:24   #8
Recon
Notice Me!!! Notice Me!!!

Recon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to all

Quote:
Economics in particular is a fairly pointless subject, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
that's what i'm doing and i find it quite interesting
He isn't what I would call a menace but he is like a child trapped in a fat child with cerebal palsy's body which is wrapped in denim.He seemed to always bitch at everything that ever happened ever even if it was a post that read "SUNDAY8PM IS THE KING OF THE SOCIAL SCENE!" he would still bitch about it. Oh and it's a well known fact that if you mash Sunday8pm's face into a keyboard, the words "More Hula Hoops Please" will mysteriously appear on screen every time.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:26   #9
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon
Christians probably find evolutionary biology quite pointless too. And I doubt flat-earthers care much for cosmology.
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:34   #10
Recon
Notice Me!!! Notice Me!!!

Recon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to allRecon is a name known to all

economics is the first subject i have actually enojyed learning, my degree is Economics and Law, however i find law both fairly boring and involving a lot of reading so i'm thinking i will drop it next year and concentrate on a straight Economics degree, bad idea???
He isn't what I would call a menace but he is like a child trapped in a fat child with cerebal palsy's body which is wrapped in denim.He seemed to always bitch at everything that ever happened ever even if it was a post that read "SUNDAY8PM IS THE KING OF THE SOCIAL SCENE!" he would still bitch about it. Oh and it's a well known fact that if you mash Sunday8pm's face into a keyboard, the words "More Hula Hoops Please" will mysteriously appear on screen every time.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:41   #11
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:44   #12
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Do what you enjoy, I wouldn't stop doing something just because the Internet didn't like doing it. I quite like doing Economics (3rd year probably going to do an Msc in International Economics) and find quite a bit of it interesting, though equally there is a lot of boring stuff and I didn't enjoy having IMF and WTO policy thrust down my throat as if it was gospel in the first two years though this year they've stopped doing that.

Nodrog is right about what degrees leave you with, no one expects you to be able to recall specific models in detail but if the need arose you could just pick up a text book and have the basic grasp of it pretty easily.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:46   #13
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Economics is a lot more maths than I was expecting though I have found my second year much more enjoyable than my first. Though I have thought quite a bit seemed to be absolute crap, using assumptions which to me just seemed wrong. Still better than my accounting lectures though.

Quote:
Do any of you lot find that degrees are almost forgotten as soon as they are learnt?
I can walk out of a lecture and not remember what I was just told. Too many seem to be the lecturer talking and writing really quickly so you have to spend most of your time copying what they have written rather than actually trying to understand the work. When I revise it though I find I remember the general theme if not the specifics but with a bit of prodding it comes back fairly quickly.
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:53   #14
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The first year was basically 70% Maths though
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 17:18   #15
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

There seems to be an abnormally large number of economics students here.
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 19:00   #16
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well im a politics student and I think I dont know much, but its amazing how much I do know, for example come an argument in a pub all of a suddent i can quote random writers and books.

My dad told me before I came to uni to read, he said it was like gardening, the more he reads about gardening, he might not realise he knows stuff, but over time he remembers it and understands it a lot more.
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 19:05   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
There seems to be an abnormally large number of economics students here.
Politics, Maths and Economics are all well represented on these forums, which is unsurprising given the nature of the game which spawned them.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 19:05   #18
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I feel like I know less now than i did when I started my finished my second year (i'm halfway through my 4th year now)
My memory has gone to **** over the last year or two, i can barely remember what I was told in a lecture last week let alone a year ago.
And I'm likely to come out with a 2:1 Masters in Electronic Engineering (Communications) and they're asking me to stay on and do research possibly leading to a PHD...

Terrible - I feel like a fraud

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 19:06   #19
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Politics, Maths and Economics are all well represented on these forums, which is unsurprising given the nature of the game which spawned them.
Don't forget all the computer science students.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 20:07   #20
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

I graduated in 1998 and 6 years later I probably couldn't pass any of the exams I passed in the 4 years I was at Uni. However, as Nod said I could probably spend a very little time refreshing my memory in order to pass the exams or solve any problem put in front of me.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 21:43   #21
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I didn't say I didn't like Economics I just said it was worthless.
Not exactly worthless - it's the best degree after law and medicine to get in terms of pay, ceteris paribus. But I know what you're saying, although you'd have to be a twat to think things like the ISLM are that simple and easy to use in real life, its more the introduction of thinking of various consequences that they're trying to seach I assume.
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 21:45   #22
Entium

Entium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud of

Yeah, I haven't seen her either since r5 or r6...
Entium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 21:46   #23
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Not exactly worthless - it's the best degree after law and medicine to get in terms of pay, ceteris paribus. But I know what you're saying, although you'd have to be a twat to think things like the ISLM are that simple and easy to use in real life, its more the introduction of thinking of various consequences that they're trying to seach I assume.
investment bankers earn more than medics or lawyers. Then again you can do investment banking with finance, accounting, management, maths, hell even physics degrees (let alone economics)
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 23:08   #24
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Well i can tell you this- my memory is terrible, because i had a 220v electric shock a few years back and it has been fairly dodgy since.

I'm in my final year of school- I can completely relate to what you are all saying. yet i regulary studying college level physics and maths- i love the stuff. The thing with such subjects is that, generally, the material a topic consists of is the building block and foundation for stuff you will learn later, so the material will continue to be relevant and continued to be accessed and processed by your brain. Perhaps your "economice" predicament is caused by the wide diversity of the subject, and the fact that the topic are not as inter-connected as they should be?
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 23:10   #25
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
investment bankers earn more than medics or lawyers. Then again you can do investment banking with finance, accounting, management, maths, hell even physics degrees (let alone economics)
I know, but then some lawyers will earn millions.
I was talking on average, it's a 'fact' anyway.
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 23:30   #26
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics
Well i can tell you this- my memory is terrible, because i had a 220v electric shock a few years back and it has been fairly dodgy since.

I'm in my final year of school- I can completely relate to what you are all saying. yet i regulary studying college level physics and maths- i love the stuff. The thing with such subjects is that, generally, the material a topic consists of is the building block and foundation for stuff you will learn later, so the material will continue to be relevant and continued to be accessed and processed by your brain.
I agree with this - learning things in maths is certainly 'circular' (more like a spiral) in the sense that the first time you encounter something, you may not grasp its significance, and you'll forget it soon. Then it comes up again in some different topic, and you remember a bit more this time. Then it comes up again, and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
investment bankers earn more than medics or lawyers.
Perhaps not on a 'per hour' basis...
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 09:32   #27
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I've forgotten everything that was in my degree course and I've only graduated in September. (been finished for a year though)

Mine was totally irrelevant to the real world though. IT & Telecommunications is sucha broad area that it was impossible for them to bother their arses to focus the program into anything useful. So it was quite general and hence quite useless.

*shrug*

It's still a BSc after my name though (Bronze Swimming certificate ofc)
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 12:36   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
I think it's a case of averages. Probably something like 90% of people with a Medical Degree are doctors at one point or another and earn fairly good money. 90% of people with economics degrees are doing average paid jobs and probably only like 1-2% are investment bankers or similar.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 12:56   #29
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar

nods right on a per hour basis it probably doesn't come to that much, besides investment banking isn't really where top egg heads are recruited to in finance, you can get away with only an analytical approach to IB even in research.
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 18:49   #30
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I think it's a case of averages. Probably something like 90% of people with a Medical Degree are doctors at one point or another and earn fairly good money. 90% of people with economics degrees are doing average paid jobs and probably only like 1-2% are investment bankers or similar.
Agreed- the average doctor or surgeon earns a lot on a regular basis. the average banker probably doesn't earn near as much. But then a few per cent of those bankers go invest and make it BIG, thus distorting the statistics- a "mean" value of any form of demograph can be highly misleading, a "standard deviation", if in accompiment usually gives a better indication of how things really are.
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 19:32   #31
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Well if your interested in it you'll probably retain the information.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 23:49   #32
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Something we used to get drummed into us at college was that in the majority of cases the degree you take really doesnt matter, obviously theres a few jobs (thinking medicine in particular) where its vital you take certain subject but most careers all that really matters is getting the degree. Its the skills that you learn on the degree rather than the actual knowledge that employees often look for.

At the time we all just laughed but having graduated over a year ago it seems that they werent that wrong. In fact i've been told by a number of contacts ive made (including some HR managers of big IT companies) that quite often they will choose a graduate in a unreleated degree than one thata related for an entry level position as they often see these people as more maluable and less likly to be question or be 'up themselves' as they know very little about the area of work.

Its apparently only after you have the entry level position and got the experiance to apply for more advanced roles when having a related degree gives you a step up but most people should have gained some kind of related qualifications at this point which reduce this advantage
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote