User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 8 Sep 2006, 23:40   #51
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold
Re: Planetarion Articles & News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Sid
My mistake - I got the impression Chef was part of PA team. If he's not then good luck to him. If he is, then a newsletter/portal should be the least of his concerns. The strength of a newsletter/portal is that anyone can contribute. That's also it's biggest weakness.
I completly understand your comments Sid about improvement of the game. Im not a member of the PA Team as such (though i am involved with the support team and the people & organisation department which is to do with recruitment and grievance procedures within the pa team and its departments). I dont really have knowledge of coding and stuff so i cant contribute to improvement on the game other than making suggestions. I am wanting to set this up because i feel it could be a new way of getting players who dont get involved via the forums (cos lets face it they arent 'newbie friendly') involved in the community in a different way, and also a way of informing them about the 'big politics' that goes on between alliances etc (as they probably miss out on this by not being on the forums.

I know that this idea has come under a lot of critisism from various sources and i have been around to see most of the previous attempts at this so i do know that its not necessarily going to be easy or something which all will read but i think its another string to the bow as it were.

- Chef

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2006, 00:58   #52
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

I agree with both Sid and in turn TomKat.

Jolt need to pay some people to work on the game.

I have to admit though, getting a load of people (pateam) to run it for free is funny and smart - even though they could potentially earn more money through developing the game.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2006, 01:14   #53
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat

The only ways to "improve the game" (and by "improve the game", I assume you mean "expand the memberbase"?) really are:
-Advertise
-Spread the word via referrals or similar
-Make it free
-Change the market (make it available to buy in shops or similar)
I don't believe Sid means that - he means what he says, in defining a target audience so elements of the game can be worked upon. I think expanding the membership is a flogged dead horse now - Planetarion currently is not appealing.

Quote:
I know Zhil (for example) used to write some excellent fiction based around the Wrath/Fury alliance a while ago. Some sort of politics/PA alliances based fiction might be interesting, if you could get someone like him in on it...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhil's Harddrive
One Year Ago

"Clearance granted, Firegem."
The Culdassa Arrowhead passed over the Arch of Strife as it headed towards the Governmental Plaza upon Gilead. A new central place of power for all trade within the sector of the galactic spanning 1up Empire. The only figure to be looking down upon the rolling streets below could only be described as ragged, his facial features craggy as deep bags hung under almost black eyes. A scraggly beard with a wild mane of dark hair completed the wild primitive look, the beings torn uniform soaked in sweat, dirt and piss.
"Welcome to the future, Councillor. I do hope you are enjoying this view. It'll be one of your last," the curt very english accent chimed across from the opposite seat. The speaking man a stark opposite to the other. Features sharp and finely chisselled into a fairly young face, jade eyes sparkling with malign enjoyment for the others discomfort. Dressed in an impeccable white uniform, lined with the mix of emerald and gold along the cuffs and at the buttons - the concentration of the rich green at the tasselled shoulder-guards. Precious few medals decorating the man's left breast, but his identity was widely known without them.
"You haven't won by a long shot Inquisitor Zhilarsk," responded the gruff man, hatred boiling through his gaze as he looked at the lap of luxary he was situated within upon this 'personal' shuttle.
"I beg to differ. Your time is over Councillor Nitros, you are now a prisoner of the enemy you attempted to topple with your pathetic twobit alliance." Zhilarsk smirked as he tapped at a command upon the arm of his chair, letting the binders around Nitros' wrists convey the electrical charge and set the LCH Councillor's nerves aflame.

Then eXilition came...
I believe the old Inquisitor's Wrath storyline that spanned a few chapters was actually lost completely - I can remember the basic premise of the storyline itself which involved quite a few people and was giving cameo appearances to people like TSP, (Named Tespar in the story itself as a crazyed Tuba leader who tried to kill me but got his brains blown away by Rampage) and the mad, utterly diabolocial Yeh.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony

Last edited by Zh|l; 9 Sep 2006 at 01:21.
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2006, 09:53   #54
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
I completly understand your comments Sid about improvement of the game. Im not a member of the PA Team as such (though i am involved with the support team and the people & organisation department which is to do with recruitment and grievance procedures within the pa team and its departments). I dont really have knowledge of coding and stuff so i cant contribute to improvement on the game other than making suggestions. I am wanting to set this up because i feel it could be a new way of getting players who dont get involved via the forums (cos lets face it they arent 'newbie friendly') involved in the community in a different way, and also a way of informing them about the 'big politics' that goes on between alliances etc (as they probably miss out on this by not being on the forums.

I know that this idea has come under a lot of critisism from various sources and i have been around to see most of the previous attempts at this so i do know that its not necessarily going to be easy or something which all will read but i think its another string to the bow as it were.

- Chef
The trap your falling into there is believing that people really care about politics issues that don't. effect them. All they may want to know is the very basics such as "Subh declare war on 1up", "xVx declare war on ToF" ect ect.

Most forum users skip the threads on politics that dont effect them (except 1up and people like KJ who seem to enjoy going onto threads not about them and turning it into a fight betwen the two of them dealing with the debate about the political isues between the two groups and not the groups the threads about)
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2006, 10:29   #55
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Seeins as i'm above the law I'm going to bump this thread after this announcement was made. It mentions that this department and hence Chef will be in charge of running the portal, so does this mean the propsed newletter in this thread is going to become the portal instead? By the sounds of that announcement it seems the new portal will be the same as every other portal since the dawn of time, none of which have been particularly great.
Unread 28 Sep 2006, 11:09   #56
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
By the sounds of that announcement it seems the new portal will be the same as every other portal since the dawn of time, none of which have been particularly great.
People need to tell the portal-creators what they'd want to see and what they regard as boring and won't bother reading.

I think the portal should have 3 main aims:
  • Keep the existing Planetarion community up to date with events in the PA universe
  • Be something relatively entertaining to browse through
  • Make the game look attractive to potential new players who stumble across it (probably the most important aim) - with the ultimate aim of them wanting to sign up a planet.

With those in mind, ALL articles/stories/comics/whatever should be done to achieve one of those aims.

Stuff like "interview with alliance HC" might be easy to do, but do they really fall into any of those aims? Not really, unless some form of humour or similar was added so that it could be regarded as fulfilling aim #2.
Unread 28 Sep 2006, 16:14   #57
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

do we need a portal?

surely it'd be a wiser idea to improve/evolve the game some so that it may actually be worth playing then design a portal after that...
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2006, 16:36   #58
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
do we need a portal?

surely it'd be a wiser idea to improve/evolve the game some so that it may actually be worth playing then design a portal after that...
What your failing to understand is that currently we have portal code (with updated graphics) already done (just minor edits being made) which we can use. The game is being worked on, i think its safe to say that we are not loosing any game development time by having this "new" portal.

We need a portal because it is the first port of call for new users to the game, without one we look a little empty. As tomkat so rightly pointed out i am not saying "this is what the portal will be, full stop." if people have ideas and suggested i want to hear them, urgently!

Things which people have said in this thread have been taken into account and i do intend to try and put them into place at the first opportunity i can. Like it said in the announcement, if you want to get involved then come and talk to me, dont just sit on the thread saying "crap idea, wont work" or "work on the game not the portal" because your not being constructive and your also missing the point.

So, either post what you think here, come and see me in #portal or email me!

<Chef> recall my fleet?

Unread 28 Sep 2006, 17:45   #59
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
do we need a portal?

The portal just needs people to write articles and stuff for it.

The game needs people to code it.

While it's all "manpower", the people who can do one can't necessarily do the other.
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 13:59   #60
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Most forum users skip the threads on politics that dont effect them (except 1up and people like KJ who seem to enjoy going onto threads not about them and turning it into a fight betwen the two of them dealing with the debate about the political isues between the two groups and not the groups the threads about)
You mean there are more pple like me?
And since when do you know what I do enjoy and what not?
Maybe you also know what I'll have for dinner tonight?

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 18:09   #61
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
You mean there are more pple like me?
And since when do you know what I do enjoy and what not?
Maybe you also know what I'll have for dinner tonight?
Yeah the funny thing is you're doing here exactly what wakey accused you of doing - coming into threads which have nothing to do with you and turning them into a topic about you.

Good work
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 09:43   #62
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah the funny thing is you're doing here exactly what wakey accused you of doing - coming into threads which have nothing to do with you and turning them into a topic about you.

Good work
I know that Tomkat ... that was the purpose of my reply, to turn it all about me again ...

Why else would I bother to reply, as if I don't know yet that I can make any thread about me or Angels

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 11:15   #63
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

You could use some of the worthy contributions on the GD forum for some non-game related content on the portal. For example Tomkat has recently done some nice stories which could be used:

The alpha male confrontation

The girl on the train
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 13:15   #64
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Unfortunately I think they're all works of fiction
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 13:16   #65
Chef!
Domestic Diva

I wanted to get ashleys number *cries*

<Chef> recall my fleet?