User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Oct 2005, 03:33   #1
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Graduation, Jobs, Masters, Stuff

So Im in my final year, im set to get a 2:1 in Law and Politics. Now I dont want to further my interest in law, rather heres what I want to do. Firstly I may want to persue a masters in political science be it in the UK or abroad. Secondly if I dont take a MA route I would like to join a graduate scheme with an emplyer who gives me prospects for promotion within the company.

Now what im asking of you GD is that you help me out with ideas. Firstly a masters. Is it too late to apply, if not is it difficult to join a course and is it worthwhile?

Secondly what would be your advice on jobs, companies and applications as far as graduate jobs go. Im quite lost to be honest. So many jobs, yet am I good enough to get the job. There is so much competition and what do I do if I cant find a job? So I was hoping that once again you great people of GD can help me. What jobs would you recommend as being interesting, challenging and have good career prospects. Not only that but the money is good and the competition isnt high. Secondly application wise, what would make me stand out compared to the rest?

Finally I know I am asking alot but thats why GD is great, I know you wil give me some ideas. Incidently I have a careers interview again tommorrow, that should be fun, last time he said ACCOUNTANCY, ACCOUNTANCY..oh you studied law..LAW,LAW so you see my problem...Anyway thankyou for the help that im sure this great community can give me.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 05:18   #2
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Graduation, Jobs, Masters, Stuff

There is no god that has ever been that could make you a lawyer.

Feel free to pray forever to prove me wrong.

An accountant? That i do not know

stew might help you there.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 08:30   #3
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

if I can get a job with a big company I'm sure you can.

Sign up to www.milkround.com and search through their jobs. www.prospects.ac.uk isn't bad either.

The best advice that I can give you is:
Remember that what you choose now isn't what you're choosing for the rest of your life. A lot of people forget that and stress about applying. Just think of it as "well if I don't like it i'll find something else".

Find something that offers further training and experience which you can add to your CV so it will help you find a better job in the future.

Go on as many free training things at uni to make your CV stand out. Go to recruitment fairs and ask questions. Any questions. Even "do you like your job?" It really does help.

At the end of the day - apply for lots of jobs. You have nothing to lose. They can only say no. Even if you don't think you'll necessarily want the job - an interview is good experience and is as much about you finding out whether you want to work for the company as them deciding whether they want you.

Apparently on average it takes 7 applications to get an interview and 6 interviews to get a job.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 09:33   #4
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

You are still pretty early for applying for a masters course so dont panic. I think i applied for mine round about Christmas time and was probably one of the first people to do so. One oy my mates on the course didnt apply until a month or so before it started but i wouldnt advise leaving it that early.

If you find a masters you might be interested in the best option is probably to apply for it and continue applying for graduate schemes as well. If you get in the lucky situation where you have a job offer and a masters place you can then decide which you would rather do.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 13:08   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Bear in mind that a Masters costs £3K minimum and you wont get a student loan.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 13:27   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My friend is 26 and he's only recently started as a Graduate Trainee in an engineering firm. So you don't have to make your mind up right now, you can consider some general work until you get an idea of what you want to do.

However I would advise not getting into a rut of just putting up with generic office work (which is kind of what I did, to pay the bills). Keep focussed on obtaining a "career" (if that's what you want).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 13:34   #7
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
You often get financial support from the uni if they think you're worth it
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 14:12   #8
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
unless you do it in Sweden.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 15:15   #9
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
You often get financial support from the uni if they think you're worth it
I think this only really happens with MRes other than in rare cases, but I could be wrong.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 16:04   #10
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I guess The Times' Top 100 Graduate Employers is a good place to look.
Although don't take any notice that we're only 6th, I'm confident we'll move up again this year.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 16:31   #11
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

wait it's stew that works for Deliotte !?

[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 16:35   #12
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Although don't take any notice that we're only 6th, I'm confident we'll move up again this year.
Comedy "number 49 in that list" option.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 16:41   #13
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
lol, well spotted
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 16:43   #14
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Philosophy students and co. have to do something to get the money in.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 16:59   #15
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
wait it's stew that works for Deliotte !?

Yes, yes it is.
At least that's what my Corporate American Express with no limit says.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 17:02   #16
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Yes, yes it is.
At least that's what my Corporate American Express with no limit says.
I hope it has "Money doesn't buy Happiness" on the back!

Ironic credit cards are
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 17:07   #17
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I hope it has "Money doesn't buy Happiness" on the back!

Ironic credit cards are
It doesn't at the moment but I might write it on.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 17:16   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Money doesn't buy happiness, it brings it's own set of problems. Like how to fit your 100 euro notes into your wallet and which car to drive to that really nice new restaurant and whether or not your date is just putting out because you're rich. Terrible isn't it?
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 17:22   #19
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
It doesn't at the moment but I might write it on.
and get fined for damaging company property? :eek:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Money doesn't buy happiness, it brings it's own set of problems. Like how to fit your 100 euro notes into your wallet and which car to drive to that really nice new restaurant and whether or not your date is just putting out because you're rich. Terrible isn't it?
I don't know how serious you're being, but it's true. It's hard working out what to do with your money - buying an extra house means it has to be looked after and maintained, buying a plane means you have to sort out legal things about where you can keep it and fly it and so on... buying lots of stuff means you need a bigger house to put it all in.

Reminds me of this joke: [blatent copy paste, sorta long]

One day a fisherman was lying on a beautiful beach, with his fishing pole propped up in the sand and his solitary line cast out into the sparkling blue surf. He was enjoying the warmth of the afternoon sun and the prospect of catching a fish.

About that time, a businessman came walking down the beach, trying to relieve some of the stress of his workday. He noticed the fisherman sitting on the beach and decided to find out why this fisherman was fishing instead of working harder to make a living for himself and his family.

"You aren't going to catch many fish that way," said the businessman to the fisherman, "you should be working rather than just lying on the beach!"

The fisherman looked up at the businessman, smiled and replied, "And what will be my reward?"

"Well, you can get bigger nets and catch more fish!" was the businessman's answer.

"And then what will be my reward?" asked the fisherman, still smiling.

The businessman replied, "You will make money and you'll be able to buy a boat, which will then result in larger catches of fish!"

"And then what will be my reward?" asked the fisherman again.

The businessman was beginning to get a little irritated with the fisherman's seemingly dense questions. "You can buy a bigger boat, and hire some people to work for you!" he said.

"And then what will be my reward?" asked the fisherman.

The businessman was angry now. "Don't you understand? You can build up a fleet of fishing boats, sail all over the world, and let all your employees catch fish for you!"

Once again the fisherman asked, "And then what will be my reward?"

The businessman was red with rage and shouted at the fisherman, "Don't you understand that you can become so rich that you will never have to work for your living again! You can spend all the rest of your days sitting on this beach, looking at the sunset. You won't have a care in the world!"

The fisherman, still smiling, looked up and said, "And what do you think I'm doing now?"
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 17:31   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If I sat all day on the beach in Ireland I'd get hypothermia. Plus I'd be bored, I'd need to buy some books to read or something. I'm sure the fisherman's family's bellies were well filled with all that happiness though
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 17:33   #21
Appocomaster
PA Team

Move to somewhere cheaper and warmer. Africa?
Added bonus: any money you have will feed you for far longer there than anywhere else.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 17:36   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

And catch some bizzare tropical disease or get killed by hordes of marauding black men on the look out for white magic? No thank you.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 17:41   #23
Appocomaster
PA Team

you're so picky . What about the Philippines? Apparently their average salary is like, 1/3-1/5 of ours (according to a friend there). Cheaper, more developed ... assuming "lightning doesn't strike twice" theory it's safe from natural disasters for about a decade.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 17:45   #24
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
you're so picky . What about the Philippines? Apparently their average salary is like, 1/3-1/5 of ours (according to a friend there). Cheaper, more developed ... assuming "lightning doesn't strike twice" theory it's safe from natural disasters for about a decade.
orly

Also if it's better that it's relatively cheaper than means that money does matter dude
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 17:48   #25
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
orly

Also if it's better that it's relatively cheaper than means that money does matter dude
orly?

Last edited by NEWSBOT3; 18 Oct 2005 at 17:58.
NEWSBOT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 17:51   #26
Appocomaster
PA Team

They have lots of ninja people who wave swords around.

If there's any chance of getting this thread back on topic (well, it sort of is anyway...assuming pig wants to be a fisherman in the Philippines ), I'm in my 3rd year on a 2:1 in Maths, I'm going to look for some consultancy firm / software company that's willing to train people that can't code but are ... well, ok at Maths
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 18:24   #27
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Haha your only third of the accountancy firms.

What is Deloitte like though? I am sending off my applications now and while i know people in KPMG and PWC to get an idea of what they are like never met anyone from Deloitte or Ernst and Young.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 18:30   #28
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
, I'm going to look for some consultancy firm / software company that's willing to train people that can't code but are ... well, ok at Maths
I've seen quite a few jobs offering that tbh.
but err, start coding now.
You need -some- practice/knowledge/experience
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 19:11   #29
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

I certainly see your point there enby.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 19:56   #30
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
Haha your only third of the accountancy firms.
I bet we go above KPMG next time they're out and PwC kind of seem to have number one spot guaranteed.

Quote:
What is Deloitte like though? I am sending off my applications now and while i know people in KPMG and PWC to get an idea of what they are like never met anyone from Deloitte or Ernst and Young.
Obviously I can only say my experiences at Deloitte, I've not worked for the others so I can't compare. I bet they're all the same at the early stage to be honest. They've treated me exceptionally well, I've had lots of training, which isn't as dull as it sounds and involves many nights away in nice places with free drink (this no doubt is standard). I get a lot of experience very early on, but with the support there if necessary (I get the impression with PwC you are kind of led along by your hand - I think their staff to turnover ratio is quite different). As for material things - I have a very nice new and small laptop, I have a mobile phone, I have business cards and an Amex. To some people this matters when looking for a job, for others it doesn't, hence why I mention them. When it comes to training, 3 out of the 4 (PwC being the expection) all go to the same 'college' I think, so there is little difference there, although we boast the highest pass rates.

Overall, my impression is we're the most 'relaxed'. That is not to say the least professional, but for example, we were the first to not insist on ties in the office. I'm not sure if the others still insist.

We're also the fastest growing, as this table shows. Don't let the high levels of growth put you off, the majority of this is down to IFRS and Sarbanes-Oxley, the year before only two of us showed growth (of course us being one of them )

If you do decide to apply to Deloitte (and I reccomend it) speak to me properly first, put my name down and if you get a job there I get £2,000 which I will give you half.
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 23:18   #31
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
why not, i have at least 3 friends who have had student loans during their masters degrees?
Unread 18 Oct 2005, 23:31   #32
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

I certainly see your point there enby.
****ing thing.

try this
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 09:55   #33
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
why not, i have at least 3 friends who have had student loans during their masters degrees?
Afaik the vast majority of masters students dont get student loans, which is why they have to rely on self-funding and (eg) career development loans.
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 10:01   #34
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
Were they not ungergrad 4 year masters rather than a 1 year postgrad masters?

I couldnt get a loan from the SLC for my masters but i got an EU grant from Nottingham Uni. Seeing as i was one of only 2 EU students on the course it wasnt too hard to get .
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 12:19   #35
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
If you do decide to apply to Deloitte (and I reccomend it) speak to me properly first, put my name down and if you get a job there I get £2,000 which I will give you half.
lol okay. I am applying with the next week(though at the moment I am applying for anyone and everyone) so if you pm your name and office I will put them on the form for you.

As for the other things, I know KPMG don't do quite a few of them. Like you they seem a lot more relaxed on certain issues, especially compared to PWC. For example there is no business cards or mobile phone and my mate hasn't had any nights with free drinks when away on courses. They do seem good on making sure you get a lot of experience though and are giving them a hell of a lot of properation for the ICAEW exam. Actually, is that the exam you do in Deloitte as I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere or is it the ACCA?
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 13:56   #36
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A load of my friends have started as accountants in Jersey (it's the "thing to do" there). 3 at KPMG, 2 at E&Y, 1 at PWC.

They're all moaning about it. It's 9-4:30 getting trained and stuff, then they have about 3 hours of homework a night. I suppose it'll all pay off in the end, but they are hating it. Sounds like Stew has a pretty good deal at Deloitte.
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 15:33   #37
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Wow there's a lot of people in here pursuing a Masters, including myself now. (I've been formally accepted). It will cost me about $6000 in tuition, which is on par with Nodrog's 3k UK pounds.
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 17:40   #38
Tomkat

£3000 to become a librarian?

woahs
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 17:42   #39
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

because every penny counts.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2005, 21:29   #40
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
They're all moaning about it. It's 9-4:30 getting trained and stuff, then they have about 3 hours of homework a night. I suppose it'll all pay off in the end, but they are hating it. Sounds like Stew has a pretty good deal at Deloitte.
3 hours a night is what I'm meant to be doing, but **** that, I don't know how you could spend so long doing it! When I was at college I'd do about an hour a night max. Having said that I do have two 3 hour exams (mocks) next Wednesday, so maybe I should be doing more Like I say, all but PwC use the same college (Financial Training Company) so when it comes to that, there's little to choose. I'd love to be finishing at half four now!

And midge - we do ACA as well.