User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:04   #1
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

_RATM_ is infamous around these parts_RATM_ is infamous around these parts
Reputation points

Now apparently this system has been in place for over a year and people probably do not care for it now, but I do find it interesting to have green and red blocks with the words 'good' and 'shit' all over.
--

My question is : Doesn't that just favour élitism that GD has been notorious for for the past oh.. six, seven years?

And no, I'm not going to bump X month old posts, I'm interested in what people believe about this. Although I am a historian, sociology is a necessary evil in my interests.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:36   #2
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Reputation points

They work as they stop people posting shite.

Not only this but it favours those who have been around for some time and/or make good posts.

Finally its a good way to comment on someones post without clogging up a thread with "lol" "twat" etc.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:38   #3
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

That doesn't answer my question. I asked if it favours an élitism or makes no difference :P

Clearly more reg time = more points allocation
More posts = same

So the power of the few over many *
*more or less
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:40   #4
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

People who have contributed more should get more influence over the rating of other posters in my opinion. So yes while it it elitist I believe it is a good system nonetheless.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:42   #5
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yes, it does.

Although I haven't seen much participation outside of GD anyway, or at least I assume not, as people who don't post here don't have full green blobs... and most of us do.

Especially when you consider that even if you get 50/50 good bad reps then you will go up (depending on who reps you). It constantly surprises me how few blobs are floating around outside of GD (when i do venture out, which is, admittedly, rare).
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:44   #6
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RATM_
That doesn't answer my question. I asked if it favours an élitism or makes no difference :P

Clearly more reg time = more points allocation
More posts = same

So the power of the few over many *
*more or less
More reg time is minor, it means say max 6 rep points. Post count does affect a few ie jakiri but on the whole most post counts are 2000-5000 posts which is 25-50 rep points. The bulk of most peoples rep are rep points (mine makes up for about 100 or so rep points) like jonny said those who add something get something back. I wouldnt call it elitest, its easy for people with little posts to get alot of rep quickly *if* they make decent posts and contribute. We are elitest in the fact that we have standards.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:47   #7
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd neg rep you for that mullet if I hadn't pos repped you earlier for the hitler-stalin cartoon
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:47   #8
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
It constantly surprises me how few blobs are floating around outside of GD (when i do venture out, which is, admittedly, rare).
There is a world outside of GD in these forums?

Honestly though, I do agree with the fact that some people are complete shite when they start posting here, but some regulars are tits as well and it would just scare off the kiddies.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:49   #9
pig
1up on you

We have had a fair few new posters in the past month or so, so rep cant scare that many posters away.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:49   #10
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
I'd neg rep you for that mullet if I hadn't pos repped you earlier for the hitler-stalin cartoon
I should neg rep you for that awful avatar you have of that awful game iin which you roll a ball of .. je ne sais quoi.

*chuckles*
The mullet is just the most ridiculous thing I found as I googled through things for an image. I figured people would hate it so I put it up.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:51   #11
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
We have had a fair few new posters in the past month or so, so rep cant scare that many posters away.
I suppose so. I cannot say since I've been afk for 2 years.

I just find it interesting that we still need some sort of hierachy today. It explains human nature quite a bit.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:54   #12
pig
1up on you

well the heirachy previously was done on post count, year membership now I like to think its done on post quality
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:58   #13
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
well the heirachy previously was done on post count, year membership now I like to think its done on post quality
I think I lost around 2 000 posts, which must be why some thought I was a gimmick.

Registering year clearly 'impresses' people when they first come here, I suppose, and humbles newcomers. I still believe it does.

Honeslty what's a red dot to you though?
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 17:58   #14
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

rep points are theoretically a mechanism to discourage poor posting; thereinby improving the quality of posters and enriching the community.

HOWEVER

1) certain poor posters have ignored their poor rep and now pretend to be proud of being an appalling poster
2) the mechanism is perverted and neg repping causes fewer points to be lost than points would be gained by pos repping
3) certain posters pos rep for the wrong reasons (friendship, weakness of character ... etc.) meaning that appalling posters have less of an incentive to improve.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 18:03   #15
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
rep points are theoretically a mechanism to discourage poor posting; thereinby improving the quality of posters and enriching the community.

HOWEVER

1) certain poor posters have ignored their poor rep and now pretend to be proud of being an appalling poster
2) the mechanism is perverted and neg repping causes fewer points to be lost than points would be gained by pos repping
3) certain posters pos rep for the wrong reasons (friendship, weakness of character ... etc.) meaning that appalling posters have less of an incentive to improve.
Maybe they should only be awarded by administration then.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 18:06   #16
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig

Not only this but it favours those who have been around for some time and/or make good posts.

Finally its a good way to comment on someones post without clogging up a thread with "lol" "twat" etc.
I can see it now on the big screens-...

Qazok... Proudly serving the community with shit posts and red blobs since Fall 2001.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 18:07   #17
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RATM_
Maybe they should only be awarded by administration then.
look kid.

I don't think that you are very bright. I find your posting style mildly irritating and I can't for the life of me consider why you have felt the need to type out that you are:

a) a returning old poster
and
b) a canadian

in 1 out of every 4 of your posts so far.

So please do not address me directly with your facile and idiotic comments.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 18:09   #18
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
Yes, it does.

Although I haven't seen much participation outside of GD anyway, or at least I assume not, as people who don't post here don't have full green blobs... and most of us do.
We should start negrep-bullying people on other boards.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 18:10   #19
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

How dramatic
________
Laguna Bay II Condos Pattaya

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 07:09.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 18:15   #20
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
look kid.
I don't think that you are very bright. I find your posting style mildly irritating and I can't for the life of me consider why you have felt the need to type out that you are:
a) a returning old poster
and
b) a canadian
in 1 out of every 4 of your posts so far.
Now there's some vintage Yahwe!

Clealy you are far too uptight. I am merely interested in what people think of another form of hiarchy. Never did I say "This system is retarded and bla bla bla bla bla"

However if that is, or other of my posts, are mildly irritating and you believe that discussion of the sort is stupid, you have two options :

a) You may chose to ignore it, and prove you are, indeed, "brighter" than me.
b) You may chose not to ignore it, and prove how bloody brilliant you are by replying.

So far you are beyond brilliant.
*golf clap*
Quote:
So please do not address me directly with your facile and idiotic comments.
You are quite full of yourself.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 18:36   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
We should start negrep-bullying people on other boards.
For a while I went round the PA-related sections of the board and negrepped anyone with 2 or fewer green dots, to send them into the red.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 18:49   #22
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
For a while I went round the PA-related sections of the board and negrepped anyone with 2 or fewer green dots, to send them into the red.
your mean, very mean ;p (cant say ive done it ofcours ;o )
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 19:07   #23
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

The Hunt of the Blob (as henceforth it shall be known) can be analogised as a Native American 'rite of passage' ritual in which adolescents (newcomers) are thrown into a nest of rattlesnakes (the GD regulars) and ordered to try and capture (write) an oiled pig (a good post) which when retrieved will be exchanged for an extra feather in the headress or some new furniture for the teepee (reputation points).
To further the analogy, I am the retarded kid who doesn't ride a horse and who can't use a bow and arrow and who can't skin a buffalo, and who doesn't know what a pig is, and who has no arms or legs (the snakes have eaten them).

Woe is me, I have not yet mastered the art of the 'good post'.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 19:21   #24
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I was going to post and say 'i can just edit my rep whenever i want anyway so hahaha' but then realised i cant...because my account is locked down and cant be edited in the admin.

'balls'
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 19:35   #25
4VAlien
Paris <3

4VAlien will become famous soon enough4VAlien will become famous soon enough

It only works if everyone cares for their reputation, which the shit posters (like me) usually don't care for.
4VAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 20:13   #26
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by QazokRouge5
I can see it now on the big screens-...

Qazok... Proudly serving the community with shit posts and red blobs since Fall 2001.
But your reg date is 2002?
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 23:47   #27
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
I was going to post and say 'i can just edit my rep whenever i want anyway so hahaha' but then realised i cant...because my account is locked down and cant be edited in the admin.

'balls'
Even Godfathers can't have things their own way.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2006, 08:58   #28
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
there are two points I see about this. One is that yes they do - the shit posters post their annonymous shit comments in the rep box instead.

the other is that it removes a certain amount of iconoclasm from the forum, since people may actually care about their rep. yeah sure so some posters post shit, but that is part of the forum identity, like a wart or a scar.
Quote:
but often it is annonymous and irritating. especially when people post things like "I hope you die" in user notes without identifying themselves (how many of those am I going to get now, green blobs plz). people rarely identify themselves when posting red blobs, the only person who has in mine is yahwe, and in doing so I actually respect his opinion more and am less likely to try to figure out who it is and give a spite blob back.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2006, 08:59   #29
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim

'balls'

don't you have direct DB access?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote