User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Apr 2006, 15:26   #1
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Poetry

Do any of you like poetry? Have you read any poetry outside of school? Have a favourite poem/poet? Ever tried (seriously) writing a poem?

I think GD needs more literary threads.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 15:29   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Poetry

I once took a poetry book by mistake (it looked like the book I was reading) onto the train and read it for a couple of hours that day. It was by modern Irish poets. It was not good. I always liked Hopkins in school despite the fact he was as gay as a jam sandwich. The Windhover I rather liked. Alliteration is a marvellous thing.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 15:36   #3
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've always liked this one, you have to read it (out loud preferably) in an odd accent.

I imagine it will be familiar to anyone who has done GCSE English, I don't read poetry normally because im culturally dead and stuff.

Excuse me
standing on one leg
I'm half-caste
Explain yuself
wha yu mean
when yu say half-caste
yu mean when picasso
mix red an green
is a half-caste canvas/
explain yuself
wha yu mean
when yu say half-caste
yu mean when light an shadow
mix in de sky
is a half-caste weather/
well in dat case
england weather
nearly always half-caste
in fact some o dem cloud
half-caste till dem overcast
so spiteful dem dont want de sun pass
ah rass/
explain yuself
wha yu mean
when yu say half-caste
yu mean tchaikovsky
sit down at dah piano
an mix a black key
wid a white key
is a half-caste symphony/
Explain yuself
wha yu mean
Ah listening to yu wid de keen
half of mih ear
Ah lookin at yu wid de keen
half of mih eye
and when I'm introduced to yu
I'm sure you'll
understand
why I offer yu half-a-hand
an when I sleep at night
I close half-a-eye
consequently when I dream
I dream half-a-dream
an when moon begin to glow
I half-caste human being
cast half-a-shadow
but yu must come back tomorrow
wid de whole of yu eye
an de whole of yu ear
an de whole of yu mind
an I will tell yu
de other half
of my story
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 15:37   #4
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

REP REP REP REP REP! (I can't rep you atm, sorry )

Hopkins is very good. Windhover is very good.

I like Heaney, who is modern and Irish. Try The Skunk or Personal Helicon if you can be arsed.

Last edited by Boogster; 12 Apr 2006 at 16:01.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 15:41   #5
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
I've always liked this one, you have to read it (out loud preferably) in an odd accent.

I imagine it will be familiar to anyone who has done GCSE English, I don't read poetry normally because im culturally dead and stuff.

Excuse me
standing on one leg
I'm half-caste...
How strange. I'd completely forgotten that poem, but remembered it once I'd started reading. It is quite clever in a quip-quip kinda way.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 15:43   #6
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I cant say I'm a particularly big fan, but I like Eliot's Prufrock and a couple of pieces by Pound. However I generally enjoy good writing more when its being used to present ideas, rather than when its just writing for writing's sake. For instance, I would be inclined to classify the philosophy of someone like Wittgenstein as poetry, and I find his work very beautiful.

Last edited by Nodrog; 12 Apr 2006 at 15:58.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 15:50   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

i'm obligied to loathe heaney on the basis that we were forced to study it in school.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 16:01   #8
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I adore Dorothy Parker and dirty limmericks.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 16:20   #9
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
REP REP REP REP REP! (I can't rep you atm, sorry )

Hopkins is very good. Windhover is very good.

I like Heaney, who is modern and Irish. Try The Skunk or Personal Helicon if you can be arsed.
I did my staggeringly great leaving cert essay for poetry on Heaney so I've actually read both of those before. I've just never liked him that much for some reason. I dislike his down-to-earthness and colloquial nature and while he's obviously a fantastic poet it just doesn't appeal to me that much.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 16:29   #10
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There's two candidates for me. The first is Kipling's IF. The second is less well known - Goblin Market, by Christina Rossetti.

http://classiclit.about.com/library/...tti-goblin.htm

It's quite long but read it anyway. Then think about giving this as a GCSE text to 14/15 year old boys.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 16:32   #11
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
i'm obligied to loathe heaney on the basis that we were forced to study it in school.

That was the most boring piece of shit ever

I am not really a fan of poetry though I have read quite a few good war poems. Wilfred Owen is the only one who really sticks in the mind as someone who I have liked more than one thing by.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 16:52   #12
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
That was the most boring piece of shit ever

I am not really a fan of poetry though I have read quite a few good war poems. Wilfred Owen is the only one who really sticks in the mind as someone who I have liked more than one thing by.
Have you read All Quiet on the Western Front? Not poetry, but one of the most affecting things written about war, imo. I liked Owen the most of all poets we studied at A-level.
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 16:57   #13
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
Do any of you like poetry? Have you read any poetry outside of school? Have a favourite poem/poet? Ever tried (seriously) writing a poem?

I think GD needs more literary threads.
yes.

this is something i hold pretty close to me, i never managed to find out who it was by, and it was recited to me by the vocalist of one of my favourite bands (Gatbsys American Dream):

"there's a bluebird in my heart that wants to get out but i'm too tough for him, i say, "stay in there, i'm not going to let anybody see you". there's a bluebird in my heart that wants to get out but i pour whiskey on him and inhale cigarette smoke and the whores and the bartenders and the grocery clerks never know that he's in there. there's a bluebird in my heart that wants to get out but i'm too tough for him, i say, "stay down, do you want to mess me up? you want to screw up the works? you want to blow my book sales in Europe?" there's a bluebird in my heart that wants to get out but i'm too clever, i only let him out at night sometimes when everybody's asleep. i say, "i know you're there, so don't be sad." then i put him back, but he's singing a little in there, i haven't quite let him die and we sleep together like that with our secret pact and it's nice enough to make a man weep, but i don't weep, do you?"

edit:
it's not exactly poetry mind you but still.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 19:31   #14
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Insanity has loved me

this weekend I fear,
but i never really see
and I never really hear
it coming.

And as I look around
and smile at the debris
scattered on the ground
of my shattered life
I think.

It becomes me though
this eternal melanoma
of my malignant soul.
This cancer of humanity
laid bare.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2006, 01:12   #15
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I like Pablo Neruda, but I hear it's twice as good in its original launguage. Norway has a cool writer that also did a few poems, Jens Bjørneboe. Apart from those two, I can't really think of any names of poets that I like. I've heard quite a few poems that I liked, but can't link them to names.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote