User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Jun 2005, 15:43   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Build a Wonder of the Universe!

Okay, bear with me for a sec cos this might sound a bit odd

Reading the thread about CTF gave me an idea, how about add more victory conditions? One could be allowing alliances to build Wonders.

It would work as follows:
Each planet may only build 1 Wonder, the planet must also be a paid planet.
The Wonder takes 10 times as long to build as any other Structure. So for Terrans it takes 100 ticks, etc... Changing your Engineering priorities DOES NOT affect the amount of time it takes to build a Wonder, it always takes the maximum x 10.
While you are building a Wonder you may not build any other Structures. You may cancel the production of your Wonder at any time.
Once built the Wonder takes up 1 Structure slot.
Once built the Universe is informed of the Wonder's creation. This can either be in the form of an in-game Mail telling each planet the coordinates of the Wonder or if we want to be more sneaky about it it can just appear on the Universe page.
Once the Universe has been informed the Wonder is vulnerable for a certain period of time. This can be 12 ticks, 24 ticks, 72 ticks, whatever is thought to be suitable.
During this time the Wonder can be destroyed. It can only be destroyed by the use of Structure Killers, covert opping doesn't work. The Wonder is just as likely to be destroyed as any other Structure. So if 10% of your Structures are destroyed there is a 10% chance that your Wonder will be destroyed.
After the vulnerable period is over the Wonder is invincible, it cannot be destroyed by covert opping or Structure Killers. The Wonder then remains at the planet until the end of the Round, taking up 1 Structure slot.
You may not start building a wonder until a suitable number of ticks have passed. This will give people time to build up their roiding fleets and Structure Killers.
Each Alliance may only have one vulnerable Wonder at a time. Any other Wonders belonging to the Alliance that are in production during this time are put on hold. Perhaps a good idea would be to continue putting these on hold for a period after the vulnerability is over. This will make it so that an Alliance does not constantly have vulnerable Structures.
If a planet with a Wonder leaves the Alliance at any time then the Wonder remains on that planet but the point for the Wonder remains with the Alliance that built it. If the planet leaves while the Wonder is vulnerable then the Wonder is destroyed and must be rebuilt from scratch.
The Alliance that wins the Wonder victory is the Alliance with the most Wonders at the end of the Round. This will favour Alliances with lots of members so perhaps a better solution would be that the first Alliance to build 20 Wonders wins. This means that the Wonder victory will be over before the Round ends, allowing Alliances to concentrate on CTF and the Score victory.
The Alliance that wins the Wonder victory gets credits, 5 or whatever. Of course there is still the Score victory and CTF victory up for grabs too, the fact that you win the Wonder victory has no bearing on how well you do in the other two.

The one major problem I see with implementing this is that Structure Killers will become more prolific seeing as there is now a purpose to them. The way to solve this is to make the use of Structure Killers more tactical. My favourite suggestion at the moment is this one which suggests changing the class of the Structure Killers. This means that you will either have to team up with another race to shield your Structure Killers or send off-class ships to protect them. This will make the use of Structure Killers more focussed to missions such as these rather than just having people bung them in with their roiders because they can.

Last edited by ChubbyChecker; 17 Jun 2005 at 15:51.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 17:25   #2
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Re: Build a Wonder of the Universe!

I like it but
IT'S NOT PA

so expect the idea to be rubbished on those grounds alone!

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 18:02   #3
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdnRisKy
I like it but
IT'S NOT PA

so expect the idea to be rubbished on those grounds alone!
See, I always enjoyed Civilisation

but.....just let me play PA....pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 18:10   #4
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I call The Pyramids! \o/
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 18:13   #5
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Someones been playing too much Civ

Having said that I have in the past stated that there are many ideas in Civ which would work well in PA, after all the games arent that far removed from each other and certainly much of the micromanagement aspects of Civ would work and add a new dimension to the game, a dimension that might make the game a little more involving and a little more intresting for new players. I'm talking the aspects like planetary government types, populations, taxations all of which would impact production rates, income ect. This would be where I would see wonders having their place rather than your way, basically as something that would boost 'moral' on your planet and have a bonus. With limitations on changing the various variables in the way there is on engeneers now would prevent the game getting too much of a micromanagement sim but it would allow for more diversity in the way the games played and more personal tactics
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 18:14   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

A lot of people won't like it for the reason MAdnRisKys said above - it's not PA. There does seem to be a split forming between those who like new PA things to be added, and those who prefer traditional PA. I think that if things get added, they should just add to XP and so on and not have a separate ranking. I also don't think people would appreciate being mailed 100 times in a game to be told someone has built a wonder of the universe . I know the idea is to try give the alliances something else to do, but tbh I don't know how many *want* something else to do? There'd obviously have to be some changes to the idea anyway if it was implemented - I don't see why they're only allowed one vunerable structure and so on. Surely if you plan that badly....
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 20:37   #7
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I like Wakey's idea of micro-management, it's currently planned for the new version of a popular PA clone and looks very good...
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 20:59   #8
teknik
Antagonist

teknik has a spectacular aura aboutteknik has a spectacular aura about

isn't engineering managing your planet? all it lacks is the lil bit of rp blurb "mining priority: you flog all your mine workers if they dont increase turnover" "production priority: you offer fringe benefits to all your ship makers, increasing their motivation and their efficiency"
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 21:38   #9
Melesse
The Nephilim

Melesse is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of further individualizing your planet, so I like the idea of wonders much as wakey suggested it. You can only build one wonder, and it's very time consuming, but it gives you some kind of bonus. Maybe defensive, offensive, resource bonus, cov op bonus, etc. Allowing you to further tailor your planet towards your playstyle. And maybe it would show up on one of the lesser used scans, making them actually worthwhile.

Plus we should of course add government models! customization is always a plus.

Melesse
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 22:09   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknik
isn't engineering managing your planet? all it lacks is the lil bit of rp blurb "mining priority: you flog all your mine workers if they dont increase turnover" "production priority: you offer fringe benefits to all your ship makers, increasing their motivation and their efficiency"
tbh I agree
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 23:09   #11
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Actually it reminds me more of Age of Empires. But its still a bad idea
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 11:07   #12
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
There does seem to be a split forming between those who like new PA things to be added, and those who prefer traditional PA. I think that if things get added, they should just add to XP and so on and not have a separate ranking.
If this is true, which it seems to be, just make the CTF victory (or whatever other idea is implemented) completely separate from the Score victory. That way people can still play the PA they want without getting involved with the stuff they don't want. Doing stuff like adding to XP for capturing flags is exactly what people would complain about.

Quote:
I also don't think people would appreciate being mailed 100 times in a game to be told someone has built a wonder of the universe .
heh, yeah, maybe just on Universe page then

Quote:
There'd obviously have to be some changes to the idea anyway if it was implemented - I don't see why they're only allowed one vunerable structure and so on. Surely if you plan that badly....
The idea of each alliance only getting one vulnerable structure at a time is so that the alliance doesn't plan it so that they all become vulnerable at the same time, making it impossible to destroy them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknik
I agree. If you want some more depth to your micro management just add some fancy fluff about why you set Security to Priority 2, or why you just chose to build a Finance Centre.
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 11:39   #13
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I like Wakey's idea of micro-management, it's currently planned for the new version of a popular PA clone and looks very good...
oh? which one?

(you might want to PM... )
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 11:47   #14
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
If this is true, which it seems to be, just make the CTF victory (or whatever other idea is implemented) completely separate from the Score victory. That way people can still play the PA they want without getting involved with the stuff they don't want. Doing stuff like adding to XP for capturing flags is exactly what people would complain about.
hmm I guess.

Quote:
The idea of each alliance only getting one vulnerable structure at a time is so that the alliance doesn't plan it so that they all become vulnerable at the same time, making it impossible to destroy them all.
No - they know *which* wonder or whatever is going to come out, so they can arrange defence for it. If you have 10 coming out at once, they'd have to spread their defence, and more people would likely hit one of them, even if only accidently.

Quote:
I agree. If you want some more depth to your micro management just add some fancy fluff about why you set Security to Priority 2, or why you just chose to build a Finance Centre.
Or get a more complicated construction / engineering setup (or a "basic" and "advanced" option, like instead of 1st/2nd/3rd priority for "free" planets, you have 20 points and you can distribute them between the different options as you wish, and they modify the different options)
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 06:08   #15
Kattepis
De aroma komt je tegemoet

Kattepis is infamous around these parts

When an alliance says to all its members to start building wonders 105 ticks before the end of round the game is over.
Kattepis is offline   Reply With Quote