User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 27 Dec 2006, 20:21   #1
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Huracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the rough

The year is 1680. Colonization of the New World is well underway, and the European nations continually seek to enchance their financial and territorial holdings through trade and military might. Distractions during this period in the motherland however lessen the number of military reinforcements sent to the European controlled colonies and the local governors regularly make use of the unreliable sea-goons for hire known as bucaneers both to protect their own ports and ships and attack their enemies possessions with letters of marque, making their piracy legal in the eyes of their employing nation. Take the helm of a ship, trade for profit, become a notorious pirate, or make your living hunting down pirates and keeping the peace. The choice is yours, but go with caution, for while the sea may grant your dreams of wealth, it can also dash them to pieces with a single storm or shipwreck on a coral reef.

The thread will be plot based, and quality posts will be expected. I don't expect a mini novel every time, but if I start to notice a trend of one line posts, don't be surprised if you sail smack dab into the middle of a category 5 hurricane.

Everyone will start at the port of Curacao, the largest free trade port in the New World, controlled by the Dutch. To sign up, provide the following information (anyone may join at any time after character approval):

Name:
Profession: (from this your characters skills will be determined)
Skills: (if you would like to pick them yourself)
History: (explain your character's background, why you have come to Curacao, how long have you been there, etc)
Ship Name: (if you captain or sail on one already)

Last edited by Huracan; 5 Jan 2007 at 03:15.
Huracan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2006, 20:22   #2
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Huracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the rough
Re: 1680

Information

Historical Money & Prices in the Caribbean
http://www.kipar.org/piratical-resou...ate-money.html

Map of the Caribbean & Detailed Information on Each Port
http://www.kipar.org/piratical-resou...rib-guide.html

Chief Ports of the 4 Main Factions (Denmark controls St. Thomas Island, Portugal Buenos Aires)

English: Port-Royal*, Antigua, Charles Towne (Nassau), St. Kitts
Spanish: Santo Domingo*, Havana, Cartagena, Santiago, Panama
French: Basse-Terre* (Guadeloupe), Port-de-Paix, Petit Goave, Tortuga
Dutch: Curacao*, Aruba

*denotes residence of governor authorized to issue letters of marque

The following is a BRIEF summary of all PCs. It is intended as a reference for everyone, but mostly for me to keep track of all of you. Check this post periodically, as notes such as team-ups and current funding will be included here.

Darkling
ame: Dai Evans
Nationality: British
Profession: Retired Buccaneer
Skills: Close Combat, Sailing, Navigation, Gunnery (cannon)
Ship:
Weapons: Wheel Lock Pistol, Scimitar, Dirk
Assets: 100 guineas, Spanish Treasure Fleet Schedule

Dragonsjem
Name: Julianna Marie Hawthorne
Profession: Innkeeper & Pub owner
Skills: Awareness, Persuasion, Daggers, Flintlock
Ship:
Weapons: Dagger, Flintlock
Assets: 250 guineas

Hewitt
Name: Harrison Courtney
Profession: Merchant Sea Captain
Skills: Awareness, Sailing, Navigation, Persuasion
Ship:
Weapons:
Assets: 1000 guineas

Kargool
Name: Hodor Olufsson
Nationality: Norweigan
Profession: Ex-Ship's Carpenter
Skills: Carpentry, Swordsmanship, Basic Guns, Sailing
Ship:
Weapons: Cutlass
Assets: 35 guineas

Fluffie
Name: Stijn "Fluffie" Naaktgeboren
Nationality: Dutch
Profession: Freelance trader/adventurer
Skills: Basic Foreign Languages, Sailing, Close Combat, Navigation
Ship: Heren III
Weapons:
Assets: 640 Ducats

mrmao
Name: David Falstaf
Profession: Lieutenant in British Navy
Skills: Fencing, Marksmanships, Sailing, Navigation
Ship: Dignity (8 gun sloop of war)
Weapons:
Assets: 75 guineas

Last edited by Huracan; 6 Jan 2007 at 07:35.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 02:14   #3
Darkling
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dai Evans
Profession: Retired Buccaneer

Skills:
Ability to read and write.
Prefers fighting close quarters using a wheel lock pistol and Scimitar or dirk in a fight.
(Any other basic skills needed to be a sailor and anything else you think applicable)

History:
An educated man Dai Evans became a buccaneer in his teens and worked his way up the private ranks to the position of first mate. Gaining a large sum of wealth after numerous successfully campaigns investing a little more wisely than most crew members. After a good few years of saving up captured valuables Dai decided to retire in the relatively quiet port town of Punda investing in goods as a way to keep his modest but luxurious lifestyle going. Though lately he has began to get bored of the town and ponders moving onto other places.
Note - Just a brief history profile as I do have a few surprises in my characters past I would like to use later if the chance arises, other than that it reflects his current state of affairs as a modestly rich person of the town.

Last edited by Darkling; 29 Dec 2006 at 20:57.
Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 02:33   #4
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

dragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to all

Name: Julianna Marie Hawthorne

Profession: Innkeeper's (& pub) Widow

Skills: sharp tounged/ quick witted, reading, skilled with daggers (to stop unwanted advances), Flintlock (taught by her father)

History:
Julianna was born to an upper class family. Her father was involved in the anti-royal sentiments that led to the English civil war. When Charles II retook the throne in 1660, her family was in disgrace and left England. Being their only child, and due to this disgrace, her parents disguised Julianna as a boy and took on a new name to deter recognition. To enable this disguise Julianna was taught to read, write, and defend herself with daggers, and hunt with a flintlock.

After many favors and luck got her father involved in trade and eventually they ended up in Curacao around 1670, about time for Julianna to be married off at age 13. Now settled and out of the eyes of the English Royalty, her parents decided to make Julianna become a lady again (not to mention puberty forcing it).

They married her off to a wealthy business man in the area who was three times her senior. However, he fell into ruin after he lost a couple ships to a terrible storm. With the remaining wealth they had, he set up an inn/pub in the Port of Punda. Julianna with her unusual upbringing was able to handle this change and kept the patrons on their toes. Her husband died about 8 years later, leaving Julianna to run the place.

Now 1680, Julianna begins to tire of her life as innkeeper and the numerous marriage proposals and longs for some adventure. Continually contemplating doning her husbands old clothes, she dreams of the freedom young men enjoy that she only had a taste of in her youth.

* tiger uses the ultimate way in, trough the water pipes
* Shadowhawk idly points out that this is #rpgal, the pipes are probably blocked from all the bs that you come up with.
dragonsjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 03:26   #5
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Can I be captain or at least someone high up the ranks (can't decide on this yet) on a Dutch merchant vessel?

I'd like to try this thread.

Need to think some more on a (heh, historically correct) character. Any advise, suggestions and what not - I'll take them kindly, much obliged etc.

Reason for being in Punda'd be trade, obviously
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 06:18   #6
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Good characters so far.

Fluffie, whichever one you would prefer would be just fine. As far as your character goes, as long as your character doesn't have supernatural abilities, immense wealth or power at the start (governor of a colony for example) feel free to give your character whatever kind of background/lifestyle you would have the most fun with .

After some thought, if working on a merchant ship is your aim, it might be fitting for you to sign up with the East India Trade Company.

Last edited by Huracan; 29 Dec 2006 at 07:49.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 15:26   #7
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

About the East Indies Trade Company... They worked Indonesia and stuff - to the East -, while the Western Indies Trade Company worked the West - America, slave trade - etc. And with us being in The New World etc, wouldn't the Dutchies be sailing under the Western Indies Trade Company.

(I might have the names etc wrong.)
(I'm going to wikipedia this now. You've got me thinking actually )

Right? I faintly recall having been taught this a time and again during history classes, but the memory is just that - faint.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 16:07   #8
Huracan
El Chupacabra

From what I was able to find (which may or may not be wrong, the WIC folded in 1674 and was reorganized to specialize in African slave trade only. The VOC (Dutch East India Company) was given a trade monopoly in India, but had a small influence in the New World as well. Unfortunately, American history classes focus mostly on the trade acts of the British East India Company and with the VOC I've had to do some back reading the last couple days online. If you find any additional clarification about the reorganization of the WIC in 1674 or the influence of the VOC in 1680, I'd love to read it .

update: The WIC was significantly weaker (and had to be reorganized multiple times) than the VOC, but during this time it(the WIC) WAS present in the New World, governing the Dutch colonies and issuing letters of marque. Thanks for making me double check that

Last edited by Huracan; 1 Jan 2007 at 23:37.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 17:05   #9
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

ooc: Note, this is just a placeholder for now as I intend to fully involve myself in the drunken debauchery that is the new years festivities over the next few days. More detail WILL come once I sober up... heh.

Name: Harrison Courtney
Profession: Merchant Sea Captain
Skills: (if you would like to pick them yourself) - focus on commerce and sailing
History: Basic background; started off as young deckhand, worked way up through life until enough money saved for own ship and crew. Born in a british colony in the region. 15 years sea experience; 3 years as captain. Small vessel. Big ambitions.

Details later.

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 00:28   #10
Huracan
El Chupacabra

A lot of people are still editing their characters so no rush.......yet .

I know it will be more work for me, but I'm planning on setting up a trade system for the thread. I just have to decide how much money to give everyone at the beginning, which I'll do while everyone finishes their character editing.

Also, please indicate whether you prefer to sail with someone else or alone. If you have a ship, give it a name. Private starting ships will be pinnace models, light ships (usually unarmed or very lightly armed) used chiefly for trade and delivering messages. Anyone wishing to purchase a larger ship need only visit a shipyard and have the appropriate funding (if you want to do it the legal way).
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:11   #11
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Name: Hodor Olufsson
Nationality: Norweigan
Profession: ship's carpenter (unemployed atm)
Skills: (if you would like to pick them yourself) - carpentry, trained swordsman, halfskilled with guns, his languageskills are somewhat limited but he understands most common sailor terms. Speaks norweigan fluently though.
History: Basic background; third youngest of a flock of 8 siblings, didnt stand to inherit anything at home so took to the sea, his uncle taught him up everything about carpentry and he used his expirience to get a job as a ship's carpenter. Unfortunally the ship he was on got lost at sea, as sole survivor he got picked up and dumped in Punda.

(OOC: My first board expirience in roleplaying, some newbie help would be appriciated)
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:35   #12
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

dragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to all

Welcome. You seem to be off to a good start. Just remember be creative, be descriptive, and be logical. The main thing to remember is to not be super overpowered and to actually read what other ppl post so your post doesn't contradict it. Beyond that...there isn't much I can think of right now.

* Shadowhawk idly points out that this is #rpgal, the pipes are probably blocked from all the bs that you come up with.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:57   #13
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Welcome indeed . Other than what Dragonsjem already noted, just have fun with it.

Always nice to see new blood in here, hope it's as fun for you as it was for me when I made my first venture into this forum .

Last edited by Huracan; 31 Dec 2006 at 07:13.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 07:21   #14
Huracan
El Chupacabra

The information post (post #2) will be continually updated, so everyone should be sure to glance at it periodically
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 20:10   #15
Huracan
El Chupacabra

I'll give everyone a couple more days to do any character tweaking and get this started on the 2nd. Or the first, if it seems everyone is on the ball

For those who already own ships, please edit your profile to include the name of your ship

Last edited by Huracan; 1 Jan 2007 at 00:37.
Unread 1 Jan 2007, 20:55   #16
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

ffs evil forums ate teh fluffs post AND HE SO LAZY
Unread 1 Jan 2007, 22:33   #17
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

Well this looks interesting...will get me a chracter. as soon as I figure out what a British Officer is doing in a dutch port...
Unread 1 Jan 2007, 23:31   #18
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Well during this time the British had the Navigation and Stamp Acts which forbid the import of goods from the New World to England (except from British ships) and the export of goods from Europe to the New World, unless they sailed from Wales or England. Just as an idea, perhaps your char is checking the largest free trade port in the world for potential smugglers or something. Your choice

Thread starts tomorrow, last chance for final character tweaking. Make a post if you change something in case I miss an edit
Unread 2 Jan 2007, 00:15   #19
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

thanks for the idea I will post my character early tommorow.
Unread 2 Jan 2007, 00:49   #20
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffie
ffs evil forums ate teh fluffs post AND HE SO LAZY
. That's why I've taken to copy/paste right before I hit the post button on anything longer than 2 sentences
Unread 2 Jan 2007, 02:15   #21
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huracan
. That's why I've taken to copy/paste right before I hit the post button on anything longer than 2 sentences
A lesson I've learned so many times.
Rarely have I put those lessons to use though, silly old me.

Anyhow.
Character goes something like:
Used to sail as an officer in the VOC to the East Indies, but after a stroke of accidents (none being his fault really) and displaying good leadership values and what not, he decides to head west feeling he'll attract more bad luck if he returns to the east.
Has been in the West for some time now, making friends and gathering a crew and finally a ship to sail on. Now, together with his friends/crew they are about to embark on their maiden voyage, hoping to make riches. I'd preferably be a free trader of some sorts, maybe a bit "ship for hire, we'll trade if we see nice goods but we're not really that keen on being pirates/mercenaries/soldiers". Skills are sailing and some very limited commerce experience, speaks his languages (meaning he ain't fluent, but can manage most of the time in the 'major' foreign languages - he also writes and reads Dutch very good and has basic reading/writing capabilities for other languages, but then again, nothing fancy - and finally concerning schooling since i'm kind of writing that down here: never went to a real school due to childhood unhappiness (read on and find out) but he showed interest and intellegence so captains/smart people aboard the ships he served on have educated him) and has fought off attackers on maybe two or more but no more than five occassions so some combat experience/skills as well. (Or whatever amount is 'realistic'.) Good in informal situations, slightly ok, but no more than average on formal occasions and terrible at relations. Has had many, they all ended kind of worse. He has no children anywhere as far as he knows and his family, back home in the Netherlands are well dead or hating him. Some terrible freak accident with him causing his father to loose his legs and thus being send off to serve on sailing ships to provide for some kind of income.

Yeah.

Terrible terrible.

Front name of my character'll be Stijn.
He originates from the Zeeland area of the Netherlands. So I'm Dutch.
Last name to come.
Profession... (Free) trader/adventurer(/ship) for hire.
Age... Well, kind of the prime of his life? Or late prime of his life, so that'd be like 28?
Any other skills that may/should apply.. I'll take them kindly

And erh, shipname. Can I get back to you on that too?
Unread 2 Jan 2007, 02:52   #22
Huracan
El Chupacabra

I'm assuming everyone wants their character to be literate so I am taking it off the skills list. If anyone DOESN'T want their character to be literate, speak up . I realize literacy was not as prevalent as it is today and that it was a special skill, but every character so far (sans mrmao who has not yet posted) has yet to come from a background completely devoid of education.

I've given everyone 4 skills. If you want to modify yours, you must do so in the first set of posts (DM ----> response post). When I get around to the 2nd DM, its set in stone. I want to give everyone the chance to personalize your character to your liking, but we can't have skills suddenly pop up in the middle of battle, e.g., "Fortunately Huracan was skilled in boomerang throwing."

You will need to periodically spend money on necessities such as food, and through out the thread the year will go on (thread begins Jan 1 1680). There will be no set time frame for each DM, it will all depend on what is happening though time will generally pass in weeks (except in the case of fights/conversations, etc). Thread begins tomorrow.

Questions anyone?
Unread 2 Jan 2007, 04:09   #23
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Im just having a few issues in regards to our money. The price list doesnt put guineasprice on stuff.
Unread 2 Jan 2007, 04:22   #24
Huracan
El Chupacabra

By the end of the 17th century a guinea was worth slightly more than a pound (remember that pound coins did not yet exist, but were a "banker's convenience"). For both simplicities sake and to reduce the inflation effect (but mostly for simplicity ) a guinea will be exactly equal to a pound.

Good question, I should have addressed that earlier.

Last edited by Huracan; 2 Jan 2007 at 09:39.
Unread 2 Jan 2007, 16:28   #25
mrmao
oh...sexy...

Name: David Falstaf
Profession: Lieutenant in British Navy
Skills: Fencing, Marksmanships, Sailing, Navigation
History: The Middle child in a moderately wealthy noble family in Bristol. He had six sisters and the dowries for all of them left the family with much less money for David to live on. To remedy this David decided to take to the Sea in the Royal Navy. His skills and background got him a commission.

He was assigned to the West Indies and found himself second officer aboard the eight gun sloop-of-war, Dignity. The Dignity was mostly assigned to deal with smugglers. They have recently followed a group of smugglers to Curacao which is no surprise considering it is the largest free port in the world.
Unread 2 Jan 2007, 21:37   #26
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Week 1

ALL

A warm Caribbean breeze and clear skies greet you as the new day, and the new year, begin in Curacao. At first you believe the ruckus in the streets is left over from last nights new years celebration, but soon recall that almost 1/3 of the buildings in Curacao are taverns, and that round the clock revelry is the norm. The sheltered deep water port is bustling with ships of all makes, sizes, and nationalities. The Governor General of the West India Company owns two 44-gun frigates patrolling the harbor to keep the peace, and for the time being they seem to be doing their job. As the morning sun climbs higher into the sky, you are reminded that with new days and new years come new beginnings and wonder what the future holds in store for you.

[ooc]Feel free to visit the marketplace and purchase weapons or goods from the vendors. Use the price sheet on the first link in the information post to find the prices for anything you want to buy (a side menu details the different types of weapons available). In order to give everyone an opportunity to meet and team up (for anyone who would prefer to do so), the "hand of fate" will guide you to Dragonjems pub for food. After that, you are free to go about your business any whatever way you see fit.

Don't forget to make any last minute adjustments to your character.

One guinea on the price sheet is exactly equal to one pound in this thread. One pound = 2.66 Ducats (for Fluffie).

Disclaimer: I will strive to make this thread as historically accurate as possible. Whenever possible I will use the names of real governors etc. If I do make what to you seems an obvious factual blunder, RP with it and let me know with an OOC post. If anyone has any questions, lets hear 'em

edit: pick two weapons to start with

Have fun! [/ooc]

Last edited by Huracan; 3 Jan 2007 at 02:29.
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 01:25   #27
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

Sighing, Julianna shuts the door behind the last stragler who had just woken from his drunken stupor and looks tiredly around the common room. It had been a long long night with many a drunken advance. It was really getting trying recently night after night having to stop the wandering hands as she and her girls navigated the tables serving drinks. Smiling, she catches a small trail of blood from one of the tables to the door.

That'll teach him to grab her breasts..He won't be grabbing anything with that hand for a while.

Chuckling, Julianna set to work clearing the tables of dirty tankards and plates and disgustingly the occasional hankerchief. She cringes as she picks it up with the rest of the dishes. Her eyes catches a roundish, vaguely shiny shape on the table. Reaching down the pick it up she shakes her head.

A penny...Revolting and a cheapskate to match, like far too many of them. You'd think these traders would have at least a half-shilling to spare for her hard work and more respectable establishment. Goodness knows before he lost those ships Nigel was quite wealthy.

Sticking the penny in a small pouch at her side, she goes back to work, hoping that the rest of the tables will reveal larger tips. It wasn't always this bad, usually she catered to the more civilized and affulent patrons. The inn was a few streets up from the docks for a reason. Nigel and her didn't want the place mistaken for one of the seedier locations that catered to the common sailor. It just seemed recently the location was being frequented by a roudier crowd. She hoped it just had to do with the season, but she was beginning to wonder if the men had other ideas in mind. The fact she was a widow, a woman alone, was now a common fact. For not the first time she wished she was a man to get rid of these advances, offers to help the poor lonely woman, and to add to it all, these overheavy dresses that made moving around the cramp common room difficult.

She sighs again, glancing longingly toward the stairs to her room, wishing she could get some sleep. She knew it wouldn't be long after she got this mess taken care of that a new bunch would be coming in looking for dinner. It was times like this she wished Nigel was still around and could share in the work..even if he often left the cleaning to her...but he was long gone. She never truely loved him, but he was a kind man and she missed his companionship and help in this tiring endevor of running a inn and pub. He also had managed to break up the monotony of this business. The repetition of day in and day out cleaning up from the pub, doing dishes, serving dinner, tidying rooms, and getting what sleep she could before the pub reopened for another night was starting to get to her. She wanted something more, something different, something...like an adventure.

Time passed and she looked around the room which finally had a semblance of order and she had found a few more pennies, some six pences and a couple of shillings for her trouble. She even found a half-crown although she was sure that was a drunken mistake in her favor. Smiling slightly, she went into the kitchen to start washing the dishes while contemplating what to make for dinner that day. She cursed herself for being one of the best cooks in town, but she did what she he knew it was what kept the richer folk coming in. That and the fact she treated them with the manners and courteousy their stations required after her years of training in the upper class society, catering to their need for clean rooms, beds, and plates.

ooc/ wouldn't I also start with a bit more money, especially considering you set it after the holidays and new years celebrations. I should be in my peak time of the year. Also because of bad weather at these times would keep more people land bound, my inn should be full up. /occ

Last edited by dragonsjem; 3 Jan 2007 at 02:40.
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 01:28   #28
Darkling

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

Walking the streets in a hazy daze, glancing around at the continuous merry reveling of ports delinquents and like, letting out a silent yawn. Pushing his way past some drunken sailors too intoxicated to do little more than sneer in his direction, easily counted with a sharp glare and a flash of a blade. Letting his long coat fall back down in place, making his way down to the harbor letting out a sigh at the sight of the mass of ships and bustle of activity.

“Better get this over with”
Dai mumbles to himself loudly, meeting with trade ships captains always seemed to bring out the worst in him. Letting the moment pass as the sea winds brush past his head, a reminder from earlier days best left forgotten. Looking about him with a reluctant step forward, spotting the usual tavern where they met looking seedy as always.

Dank air and dimly lit candles give the tavern a somber atmosphere even at the high of the day. Numerous chairs lay strewn about the floor and drops of blood yet to be cleaned on the table, the remains of a fight most likely thinking to himself. Dai spotting his contact sitting over a table with empty tankards tipped over it a prostitute groping away at him playfully. Stamping his way over loudly on purpose taking a seat on the other side of the table, pushing away one of the tankards looking the surprisingly clean and well kept man squarely.
“Can we get rid of her and just get on with this, you are over a month late coming into port. I trust you have a good reason to give me?”

ooc - This is not dragonsjem character tavern, but rather one more seedy ones close to the docks. Would I start with a little more money due to the fact I do a little dabling in buying and selling some goods? Also do we start weaponless or do I get to start with my preferred weapons or at least some of them?

Last edited by Darkling; 3 Jan 2007 at 01:36.
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 02:23   #29
Huracan
El Chupacabra

ooc (all) - I'll let everyone start with two weapons. If I don't have it posted yet, IM me or PM me your choice.

edit - due to popular demand, i am changing everyone's starting cash to reflect your chosen profession.

Hewitt - You just sold off your shipment of rum, wine, and spices you sold to various tavern keepers in town. Your ship is in need of annual maintenance and your crew is/are (US English vs. UK English) awaiting payment for their labors.

Last edited by Huracan; 3 Jan 2007 at 06:42.
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 02:45   #30
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Waking up was always the thing he feared the most. A mere month ago he had woken to the screams of his mates yelling in fear as the ship was taking in water. If Hodor hadn't woken at that time he would probably had been sleeping with the seaweed on his chest, his toes crab food and his eyes bulging as he stared into the dark water while fishes were eating at his dead cold flesh... Hodor shook the thought off... I need rum to drown my sorrows and to sing for my lost mates he thought to himself.

He had been let ashore on Curacao, his saviors had paid him well for the work he had put in on the ship, though Hodor knew that it was mostly because they felt sorry for him. Being the lone survivor of a shipwreck meant ill luck for his new shipmates, and they were more than happy to forget his company, and most of his meal on the boat he had been alone. He hoped his escape from the old trader would not have been told of in Curacao, and he was right. No-one had asked him much, or well, not in a language he understood anyways.

He had walked to the inn he had been recommended. Gotten a room and had sat there sulking for days.. He needed a job, and that quick, though eying the clientel at this pub he found no shipowner or captain in need of a carpenter. He had put the word out using the few phrases he knew in English. "Me very good carpenter." "Me fix boats very quickly and good." The bar wench at had nodded, he had hoped he had made himself understood. Now all I can do is wait he sighed to himself. The bottle in front of him had lost his attention. He stared out at the sea with longing eyes..

::OOC:: feel free to give feedback in PM
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 06:31   #31
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

ooc/ Kargool, good post, but just to let you know, my place would only give a tiny view of the water. it's a few streets up from the docks. And i'm not a wench :P i'm the owner. /ooc

Hearing a noise, Julianna glanced out from the kitchen from her dinner preperation. Noting it was just her Norweigan guest, she brushed a hair out of her eyes and went back to work letting him sulk, gazing out at the slim bit of the ocean that one could see from her place behind all the other buildings. She had made a note of his needing a job when he came to her inn that first day looking badly in need of rest and had gotten him set up in one of the smaller rooms in the back with a nice pallett and a wash basin. She had been trying to keep an eye out for someone in need of a carpenter, but nothing had turned up thus far.

Placing the roast with carrots and onions she had been preparing into the oven she wiped her hands on her apron and walked out to the common room. Moving to stand in his line of sight, she smiled and knowing his difficulty with English asked him simply.

"Food?"

Unread 3 Jan 2007, 07:03   #32
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Darkling

The wench glares at you and scoffs.

"You know where to find me deary," she says to Juan without taking her eyes off you. She gives a final "hmmmph!" and storms out the front door.

Juan Santana, a clean, well dressed spaniard looks at you from across the table.

"Oye hombre, always out to ruin a little fun eh?" He leans in closer and lowers his voice.

"And don't you try to blame my lack of punctuality on anyone but your paisanos amigo. While I was trying to smuggle your shipment in to Port-Royal, I was caught and kept under guard for some time. Besides, MOST merchants would be happy if their shipments came back only a month overdue. You of all people should know that. Course...you don't have yours but that's a risk you take in this business."

He looks around the room, then continues after making sure no one else is in ear shot.

"I do feel bad about losing your shipment though, so I started wondering how I could pay you back...as long as it's not out of my own pocket," he chuckles.

"We both know what you used to do Dai, what you're capable of. I know when and where the next "flota" will be making its next trip to Spain. I made this map, detailing their route and scheduled departures. I trust you will...keep it safe." He takes out a rolled up parchment tied with a string and hands it to you.

"True, it won't be for a little while, but I think it will more than make up for what you've lost, ¿Sí amigo? I've seen the treasure fleet before and let me tell you......nothing can compare to it."
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 17:23   #33
Darkling

Feeling a rising anger start to gnaw at his patience as he listened to Juan’s explanation, letting it go with a controlled effort in a vain attempt to be reasonable despite the lack of options right now.

“It would appear I have little choice in the matter right now, though this will require me to raise some more funds at the very least. I will probably have to sell of some of my private stock now I suppose”
Dai keeping his voice low and mellow taking the rolled up parchment reluctantly, nodding his head in disinterest at the whole affair.

“You know as well as I that I am retired now and was never all that spectacular at it either I was just a little smarter than your average sailor with greater aspirations. You would think being able to have an idea beyond were to find the nearest tavern or whore house in the next port would be more common hazards of job aside”
Mulling over some ideas quickly letting the moment pass silently closing his eyes ignoring most of the rabble mulling about the tavern, muttering quietly to Juan.

“I will see what I can do with this, at least you showed up to this meeting, there are those who would do otherwise”
Glancing quickly around the tavern with an obvious look of distain
“Ill leave you to your reveling I cannot stand these places for to long, to uncivilized filled with brutes and unsightly whores abound. Present company excluded of course”

Flashing a playful smug grin at the comment in its entirety.
“Good day Juan don’t get to too drunk now I might have need of you in the future, would not want you getting killed in some pointless bar fight, Spaniard or not I just might miss you a little”
Dai Sharply gets up from his chair almost knocking it over, making his way for the taverns door as he tucks the parchment inside his coat.
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 18:16   #34
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

I'm having a bit of difficulty with figuring out & deciding what kind of ship I (am allowed to) own and how big my crew is (allowed to be). I don’t suppose that I want a too big a crew, but just something that is able to, you know, sail my ship. I want a fast ship. Faster than pirate ships (because I don’t want to get killed )! Maybe something for delivering messages or ferrying (not too VIP-y) people or small but lucrative cargo? Surely there’s a business for that.
My obvious guess is that anything large like fly-boats I guess, frigates and galleons etc are thus out of the question. So maybe if you could assign me a ship and say... what’s on it in terms of masts/sails/cannons/supplies... etc. Please? I'm not naturally at home with all this sailing mumbo jumbo and especially not in English. But I'll manage, I hope. I'd just like some kind of direction, y'know.

I figured out a last name: Naaktgeboren ("Nudeborn"). I think it's an actually Dutch last name, so that's all cool. I'll post my ship's name once I figure it out. [Pre-post edit: I figured it out! Heren III (“Lords III” – the VOC and WIC both were headed by “De Heren (roman number, I think IX or something (“Nine ”) – my ship is headed by me and two friend (which makes three ).

For easiness sake I'm going to use "Fluffie" as my name a lot when posting. Guess I'm just (too) used to that..

//

Fluffie woke up with a heavy head, sitting upright in a hard wooden chair. To his own amusement, he was still in the tavern he had been celebrating the new year in last night. Looking around the table he was seated at, he saw four of his friends. Not just his friends, but his crew. His crew, although amongst each other there wasn’t a strict hierachy since they weren’t with that many and all had known each other for a while now. The rule was that if Fluffie or two others, “the officers”, gave an order it was to be carried out. Other than that, the ship was somewhat of a democracy.

Or at least, that is how Fluffie figured it would be, since the ship had been theirs, though mostly his, for only a few days now. They needed work, for the ducats in his pockets wouldn’t keep them going for too long.

The ducats...

He quickly slipped his hand into the pocket where the little leather pouch with the money was supposed to be. Sighing with relief as it was still there, Fluffie reckoned he really ought to find a safe place for it. That would be a task for another time though, he needed some fresh air first. Grabbing one of his mates by the shoulder and semi-violently shaking him till he is at least half-awake, Fluffie tells him he’ll be outside and see them on the ship or maybe in a tavern later on.

Once outside, he starts wandering around and taking in fresh air. He wanted to go back to sea soon, but to do that, he needed some work first. Fluffie started walking, keeping out a sharp eye and ear for merchants and other richer looking people, hoping to catch word of anyone interested in hiring a ship or needing something shipped out...

//

Yes, this is a fairly bad post. Or at least, it’s not as shiny as it maybe could’ve been. But... We’ll just have to live with it, right?

I’d really like some feedback on my “what ship do I have”-drama should we take that to PM maybe to stop cluttering the thread?
Unread 3 Jan 2007, 22:34   #35
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Fluffie

While you walk the streets dodging drunkards, you pass an alley with 2 men conversing in the shadows.

"I told you George that shipment has to be in Aruba as soon as possible or we're all going to be in a lot of hot water."

"I know Pierre, but what kind of merchant is going to take something there? It's not exactly an ideal port but maybe if we pay a little extra......"

"Extra?! Sacreblue.......it's bad enough the ship isn't fit for sailing anymore thanks to you.......maybe if we wait for the ship to be fixed we can.....no we'd never make it. All right, let's start looking around for a captain who doesn't ask questions."

They head out of the alley without seeing you. Your previous trading experience red flags this as an obviously less than legal business venture, although such things tend to pay better, and these men sound desperate. Of course there's bound to be a merchant in town in need of something legal. Or perhaps someone just looking for passage to a nearby port......

Darkling
Juan calls out after as you leave.

"Ha! I'm always around. I'm everywhere. You know that. Till we meet again eh?"

You hear his chair turn towards the bar.

"HEY WHATS A MAN HAVE TO DO TO GET A DRINK IN THIS PLACE!?"

Last edited by Huracan; 3 Jan 2007 at 23:00.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 03:06   #36
Darkling

Stepping outside the tavern the sea breeze smelling a lot better than it was like inside, raising him a little from his somber mood.
“Today is just a bad day”
Grumbling quietly to himself as he run ideas through his mind as who possible would be willing to buy any goods, remembering the tavern a little ways up from the squalor of the docks that served quality to those who could afford it. Stepping away from the busy docks with a quick step, preferring to forget how bad people could be this close to the ships.

After a few minutes of walking the side streets Dai turns the corner lazily as the sun beat down form the skies, feeling a little over dressed in his coat right now fanning his tipped hat a few times to cool off. Carefully stalking his way over to the tavern in a casual manner looking more like a visiting gentleman than his true character would depict. Entering in a purposely foppish manner looking around at the refreshingly clean floors and tables with a nod, Dai pulls up one of the chairs closer to the door sliding carefully between some shadowy cover.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 15:25   #37
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie made sure to avoid the two men - he didn't feel like risking the Heren III and new life as a freelancer by starting with most likely less than legal endeavours. Walking on, he kept a lookout for the more respectable sort of people and locations. Ideally of course, he wanted some cargo, maybe some messages and on top of that one or two, maybe more, passengers that needed transportation. A full haul and enough ducats - that's what he wanted.

And thus, with the patience of a man satisfied with where he is in life, Fluffie kept walking and searching.

He wasn't really all that hungry yet, but earlier he had seen a tavern that looked quite nice actually: he'd find his way back there for a meal later on.
Unread 4 Jan 2007, 23:54   #38
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Fluffie
Leaving George and Pierre to their own shadowy business, you find yourself wandering aimlessly until you find yourself at the headquarters of the West India Trade Company. You recall hearing rumors that they had been having problems not only since the recent reorganization, but since their founding. Nevertheless, they were authorized to govern, colonize, and maintain their trade monopoly. Fortunately, they are in so much need of help they have postings outside which you read.

Notice: The Dutch West India Company is in Need of the Following

1)Transport of tobacco from Cumana to Curacao
2)Escorting of a trade ambassador to Port-Royal
3)Transport of slaves from Ghana to plantations in Suriname

Please inquire inside for more information
Unread 5 Jan 2007, 05:46   #39
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

Julianna smiles and waits patiently for her guest to respond, stiffling a yawn. Turning for a moment to acknowledge the newer arrival who slipped in the door, she nods obviously towards him.

"I'll be with you in a moment sir. Welcome to the English Rose and feel free to relax."

Unread 5 Jan 2007, 21:27   #40
Darkling

Leaning back in his chair carefully, placing his hat down on the table slowly, revealing his short cut light hair. Rubbing his fingers into his closed eyes, relaxing sounded like a good idea for now after last nights interrupted sleep the day was beginning to catch up to him. Letting his coat drape open a little pushing his sheathed dirk further out of sigh along his sides, no matter how long it had been some old habits died hard.
Unread 6 Jan 2007, 07:23   #41
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

*ooc: Sorry for late post, been busy getting home after x mas etc. Btw, Hodor thinking that Julianna is a bar wench is an deliberate "error". A small description of Hodor. He's about 6 feet tall, with blond hair and a yellow beard, his eyes are sky blue and everything about him says Scandinavian really, he has a tattoo of an anchor and the simple words Hope under it on his left arm. He wears simple clothes, nothing to fancy, but for an empty gun belt hanging around his waist and and empty scabbard. The scabbard looks eloquently made and has the hilt of a well used sword sticking out of it. *

Hodor smiles at Julianna and says: "Some meat and potatoes would taste good". He stutters with his poor English, not being able to hide his Norwegian accent in any way and waits his food in quiet waiting for being served. Sitting there contemplating his current situation he eyes the newly arrived guest. He quickly loses interest as he doesn't appear to be someone looking to employ anyone. I need a job and quick. I can't sit around all day, people will eventually hear of my bad luck.

Last edited by Kargool; 6 Jan 2007 at 07:50.
Kargool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2007, 16:55   #42
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

ooc//
Heh, I see my assets have suddenly rocketed way up into the sky. Sweet!

Also - is the tobacco mission a smuggling one? I read on the site that the Dutch smuggle loads of tobacco from there... Ah well.
//ooc

Cumana... Now that is close by.

Fluffie stops his search as his eyes catch a glimpse of the WIC postings. He puts on his friendliest and trustworthiest smile and steps inside, asking to meet "the man in charge", since he is looking for work and the WIC seems to be looking for ships. Assuming Fluffie gets to meet them - and after the required pleasantries of introducing oneself and talking about how glorious the weather today is and maybe the sharing of rumours about 'back home', our beloved though fresh captain gets down to business.

"I read outside that you are in need of someone to bring some tobacco from Cumana back here? Is this a smuggling run or will there be an understanding with the Spanish? What's the pay?"
Unread 8 Jan 2007, 03:06   #43
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Fluffie

A well dressed man you estimate to be in his mid 20s comes out to greet you as you are ushered into a side room.

"Greetings. My name is Hans Starten. The governor-general is busy now, but I have been put in charge of the free lance jobs. Please, take a seat."

He motions to some chairs around a table. The room is mostly empty other than the table and chairs, and a window provides a view of the port. Hans grabs a bottle and some glasses from a cabinet and sits down.

"As you read, yes we are in need of someone to bring our next shipment of tobacco in from Cumana. As you know the Spanish, just like the British, have trade embargos in almost all their ports. As a free trade company, we "liberate" some of these over taxed goods and deliver them at lower prices to our buyers. Cumana is a port frequented by ships of all nationalities as they return from South America, so accepting this job should not put you, your ship, or your crew at risk, as long as you keep a low profile."

He pours a couple drinks and gestures one of them to you. He takes the other and drinks slowly from his chair.

"We have already paid for the tobacco and it should be ready to go, we only need a captain to bring it back here for us. Job pays 400 Ducats because even though the risk is minimal, you will be smuggling after all."

He looks at you for a moment then continues. "The other jobs, should you be more interested in those, both pay 200 Ducats. We simply need someone taken to Port-Royal to try to work something out with the British and a shipment of slaves taken from one of our colonies in Africa back to Suriname. So? What do you say?"
Unread 9 Jan 2007, 14:30   #44
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

ooc: Um yeah... my bad. Gotta get back into it I know, but until then here's a nice pic of the kind of ship I had in mind.

edit - new picture for a new ship; a nice little topsail schooner... perfect for smuggling

http://www.timedesign.de/ship/enterprize.jpg

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!

Last edited by Hewitt; 16 Jan 2007 at 05:57.
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2007, 21:48   #45
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Hewitt

See PMs
Unread 11 Jan 2007, 02:51   #46
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

Smiling Julianna moved from the Norweigan's table toward the new arrival. She couldn't help but feel concerned for the man, she could tell he needed a job. She wasn't sure how long he would even be able to pay for room and board but she couldn't bring herself to think about throwing him out. Soon, there had to be a job. It seemed odd for so few ships needing repair, but maybe the jobs didn't drift this far from shore.

Clearing her thoughts she approached the new arrival, moving a little warily as he had chosen to clad himself slightly in the shadow. As she got closer she realized she recognized him and let out the breath she was holding. She didn't know his name but he had been in the English Rose before and he always behaved himself. Stepping closer to see him clearly, she spoke.

"Welcome back sir. Can I interest you in a nice meal of roast pork and vegetables? I'm afraid I only prepare my more extravagent meals when requested by guests staying here."

Unread 11 Jan 2007, 19:18   #47
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie holds the freshly poured drink under his nose, letting the aroma work into him, as he listened. Raising the glass in an appriciative fashion he then brings it to his lips and takes a sip, softly sighing with joy. After the WIC representant has finished speaking, Fluffie nods at the drink.

"Certainly better than last night's drinks. Thanks."

He quickly takes another sip, this one larger than the previous one, and continues speaking.

"I will.. liberate the tobacco from Cumana for you then. I take it your men there will be discrete and fast? I'd rather not spend more time than necessary in a port, if I'll be smuggling out contraband. And, also, if you don't have any cargo for the voyage there, what type of goods would be best to take with me to Cumana? I'd like to make a little extra money on the side, if possible."
Unread 12 Jan 2007, 03:50   #48
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Fluffie

Hans smiles to hear your agreement to liberate the tobacco.

"Great. Just let me write you a letter so you can pick up the shipment."

He writes a quick note on a piece of parchment, signs it, stamps it, and places it in an envelope which he seals with wax.

"Head to the tavern and ask for Diego when you get there. He'll have the cargo loaded immediately. As for your making some extra money, we DO happen to have 10 slaves Diego asked us for. The Spanish heavily tax incoming and outgoing goods so he prefers his slaves to come in under the table, at least as far as the Spanish government is concerned. One day perhaps, the whole world will recognize that our method of business is what has given our country so much wealth. Free trade helps everyone. If you'd like to take the shipment of slaves, I'll have them loaded on to your ship immediately."

Drinking the last of his drink he sighs and rather heavily places the glass on the table again. "More to drink?"
Unread 13 Jan 2007, 02:31   #49
Darkling

Opening his eyes from his rest, making sure to straighten himself up in the presence of the women still keeping somewhat to the shadows purposely, recognizing here as the owner of the establishment from his previous brief visits here.
“Good day madam if you have any tea available then that would be appreciated otherwise the pork will do fine with something weak to wash it down. please be swift about it my time is short I am afraid”
Keeping his speech calm whilst he pulled a string tied pouch from closest pocket, letting it drop a few spaces above the hard table with a metal clatter feeling glad that the place was almost deserted, getting into a fight over a bag of coins would ruin his credibility. Keeping his hand hovering above the bag warily regardless preferring to be cautious.
Unread 14 Jan 2007, 01:57   #50
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie raises his glass and downs the remainder in it in a single go.

"Sure. And no offense, but I don't know about taking slaves aboard. Ten slaves means they're with about the same number as me and my crew and the Lord knows them buggers might try to overpower us or escape. Don't know if my reputation or me could handle that. Is there any other regular cargo that'd make me a slight profit in Cumana? Or maybe you have anything else to offer? I'll buy you some good bottles of wine from the profits for any golden tips."