User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 May 2006, 22:41   #1
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
We haven't had a book thread in a while

I like books, I buy them far more often than I finish reading them, so currently have a large pile of unread ones I have bought,
The most recent addition to the list though, is 'johnny come home' by Jake Arnott, which has been moved to the top of the pile, and will be the next to be read.
It's Mr Arnott's 4th book now, and I have read the previous 3. His fist, 'The Long Firm', was dramatised on the BBC last year, and while I thought that was done rather well, it missed out a section, and didn't quite live up to the book.

In a similar genre, though nowhere near as well written, I've become quite a fan of Martina Cole. She brings a great deal of realism (well, it seems real, I've no idea what gang-life on council estates is like...) to the stories, with just enough of the gritty stuff to remain exciting, without becoming silly.

I think the last time we did one of these, I reccomended 'The Rotters' Club' and 'The Closed Circle', by Jonathan Coe. I've since read 'The Dwarves of Death' by the same author, and was similarly impressed. It's a lot shorter, but equally as peculiar and amusing. I ahve 'The House of Sleep' waiting on my pile.

I bought 'I am Charlotte Simmons' quite a while ago now, and haven't got round to reading that, partly due to the mixed reviews I read of it. For those not familiar, it is by Tom Wolfe, the author of 'Bonfire of the Vanities' (the film of which is on this week I believe, but is meant to be dire and as I recall, much detested by Dace) which I thoroughly enjoyed. Does anyone have comments that will help move it up or down the list-order?
Unread 21 May 2006, 23:19   #2
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: We haven't had a book thread in a while

This summer I'm going to be renewing my attempt to read the classics. It's a long-held ambition of mine, and a summer job in London should help me polish off 6-8 books. Last time I worked in London (the summer of 2004) I read The Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden and a Marquis de Sade novel as part of a ninty minute commute each day to work in London over the space of a month.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. By classics I mean the true classics - and those two Steinbeck books should be fairly indicative of what I'm looking for.

I also bought two books today after reading a thread on SA about alt-history.
Weapons of Choice
Designated Targets
Both of these are part of a series named "Axis of Evil". It's actually quite hard to find quality alt-history that's not about the American Civil War, so hopefully these will be a good read.
Unread 21 May 2006, 23:34   #3
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I bought 2 books the other day which are now waiting to be read.

'Lord of the Silver Bow' by David Gemmell

& 'The Lords Of The North' by Bernard Cornwell.

The book i'm most eagerly awaiting is the first in the new Conn Iggulden series based on Genghis Khan and the Mongols.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2006, 23:36   #4
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

anything by Louis de Bernieres I highly recommend.

oh and the Good Beer Guide. Mainly because it's next to me at the moment.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 May 2006, 23:39   #5
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Also, that 'Profanisaurus Rex' thing by the Viz people is great pub-time reading.

Unread 21 May 2006, 23:54   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

richard morgan writes excellent science fiction.

history (factual) recommendations are much appreciated by the enby.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia

Last edited by NEWSBOT3; 22 May 2006 at 00:51.
NEWSBOT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 00:18   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalon
The book i'm most eagerly awaiting is the first in the new Conn Iggulden series based on Genghis Khan and the Mongols.
Remind me of this when it's out please!

I'm currently reading Janine di Giovanni's "Place at the end of the world". Basically she's a journalist who has spent the past twenty years travelling to and reporting from some of the most wartorn and oppressed places on the planet. She has an interesting and very powerful way of writing and if you're interested in the more human side of certain conflicts her book is a good place to start.

I also finished reading Robert A. Heinlein's "The moon is a harsh mistress" which is the story of a libertarian revolt which takes place on, you guessed it, the moon. As you can imagine from my description I jerked myself clean off over it. It's intelligent, it's witty and it's provoking. I couldn't say a bad word about it.

PS do you mean historical novels or historical books enby?
Unread 22 May 2006, 00:51   #8
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

sorry, should have been more clear.

I want/need to expand my history knowledge, pretty much in any area, but europe etc mainly.
Unread 22 May 2006, 02:44   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Da Vinci Code

I'm interested in finding some decent non-fictional-but-well-presented sciency literature. Like that "Longitude" book, or "Fermat's last theorem."

Go go gadget intarweb.
Unread 22 May 2006, 03:21   #10
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

I've been reaidng loads of books recently because its exam season.

One book that I want to read after my exams is A People Betrayed by Linda Melvern which is about the Rwandan genocide. Its something I'm very interested in, mainly because of the dynamics whereby we refused to act despite knowing it was going to happen, then was happening and refusing to name it a genocide, then knowing it was genocide but refusing to name it as such and thus avoiding the legal obligation to act. All because 18 soldiers got shot for going beyond their remit in Somalia.

beyond that I ahve no plans to read anything.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 03:43   #11
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Just finished Man and Boy and the sequel Man and Wife by Tony Parsons.
Both great books but I still think Parsons is a wanker because of the 'interview' he did with the Ramones in 1977.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 05:28   #12
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: We haven't had a book thread in a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Weapons of Choice
Designated Targets
Both of these are part of a series named "Axis of Evil".
That series is OK, although it doesn't add much to the classic send-a-modern-aircraft-carrier-back-to-Pearl-Harbor-in-1941 story. The contrast between the different views of war (21st century vs. 20th century) is interesting though.
Quote:
It's actually quite hard to find quality alt-history that's not about the American Civil War, so hopefully these will be a good read.
I'd recommend S. M. Stirling's Island in the Sea of Time series and Eric Flint's Ring of Fire series.

In the non-fiction category, I've just finished Shattered Sword, a book on the battle of Midway (a very good read for a 'technical' book) and The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, about the battle off Samar during the larger battle of Leyte Gulf.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 09:23   #13
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Asimov's guide to the Bible is really interesting by the way.

Although the second half of the New Testament is really boring explanation wise

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 22 May 2006, 09:35   #14
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

A favourite of mines is "The art of war" Sun Tzu
Although it does lack a plot, I have found several ways to apply it to work (managing an off license) playing sports (rugby and football) and also to play PA.

Last book I had read in the sense was "No mean city" H.Kingsley Long
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 09:52   #15
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Remind me of this when it's out please!
Sea Of Grass

Product Details:
# Hardcover 416 pages (January 2, 2007)
# Publisher: HarperCollins
# Language: English
# ISBN: 0007201745

Ages

Unread 22 May 2006, 09:58   #16
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Weapons of Choice
Designated Targets

im assuming that that is the same john birmingham who wrote this

which i thoroughly reccomend to all the students around here

um, re reading a lot of R A Salvatore's forgotten realms drizzt books at the moment, not in the mood for anything heavy, although i also have david eddings' latest book in the house to read, the last book in his elder gods series, so it should be good (although really exactly the same as all his others, go go gadget formulaic sci-fi/fantasy)
Unread 22 May 2006, 10:11   #17
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I havent read a decent book in ages.

There really isnt anything out that captures my interest. I've been reading some fantasy lately, obviously done all of the Waste of Time books. Done practically everything by Fiest (is it just me or do they get shitter and shitter as he gets older?) and recently finished the fourth book in the series of A Song of Ice and Fire, which is the best fantasy series I've read.

But now I'm at a loss as to what to read :<
Unread 22 May 2006, 10:19   #18
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Give Steven Eriksons - Gardens of the Moon a go if you are after good fantasy (assuming you havn't read it before). Various member of this forum will attest to it's brilliance.

I've just finished reading 1984 and A Brave New World, they were both excellent for different reasons. Obviously I enjoyed the distopian world presented in Huxley's book, it seemed a little more plausible, and much more sinister. 1984 didn't grab me as much, perhaps because it seemed a little too bleak. As a 'thought provoking' book it was much better though. I particularly enjoyed the reflections on the use of newspeak to limit and control thought. But that is mostly because I have an academic interest in the philosophy of language.

Now I am reading Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamatzov. It's long and drawn out, as most of his works are, but I find they tend to get better once you've read a good portion of the book. It just takes a while to get drawn in.

Last edited by Cooling; 22 May 2006 at 12:29.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 10:24   #19
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
I've just finished reading 1984 and A Brave New World, they were both excellent for different reasons. Obviously I enjoyed the distopian world presented in Huxley's book, it seemed a little more plausible, and much more sinister. 1984 didn't grab me as much, perhaps because it seemed a little too bleak. As a 'thought provoking' book it was much better though. I particularly enjoyed the reflections on the use of newspeak to limit and control thought. But that is mostly because I have an academic interest in the philosophy of language.
I've never read A Brave New World, but it definitely sounds like one for the summer.
Unread 22 May 2006, 10:31   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
I havent read a decent book in ages.

There really isnt anything out that captures my interest. I've been reading some fantasy lately, obviously done all of the Waste of Time books. Done practically everything by Fiest (is it just me or do they get shitter and shitter as he gets older?) and recently finished the fourth book in the series of A Song of Ice and Fire, which is the best fantasy series I've read.

If you like that sort of fantasy you should try steven erikson's malazan book of the fallen series.

PS Military, political, social, general, continent-spanning, specific, modern, ancient, renaissance, medieval, pre-history or industrial revolution enby?
Unread 22 May 2006, 10:33   #21
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

all of the above !?
Unread 22 May 2006, 10:35   #22
Ste
Bored

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
anything by Louis de Bernieres I highly recommend.

Unread 22 May 2006, 10:56   #23
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Its only OK.
Oh

Out of the classics, do you have any recommendations?
Unread 22 May 2006, 11:00   #24
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
all of the above !?
I liked a history of europe by norman davies as a general introduction to european history and The Third Reich: a new history are two books I enjoyed. I'll give you a list when I get home if you want!
Unread 22 May 2006, 11:02   #25
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Oh

Voltaire, Johnson, More.
Unread 22 May 2006, 11:23   #26
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I haven't read much fiction for a while, which is a shame but I will get back into it over the summer I suspect.
Maybe that's because reading the Brothers Karamazov scarred your brain and permanently altered your conscious mind into a state of utter delusion.
Unread 22 May 2006, 11:35   #27
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Its a brilliant book.
Poor brainwashed chap
Unread 22 May 2006, 12:00   #28
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of

If you're interested in classics, I think Kafka's 'The trial' should be on your list...it does kinda lose it a bit in the middle and go on and on without really making any new points, but i still think it's a great book, and definitely worth a read.

And also, while not a classic, 'Perfume' by Patrick Suskind is one of the best books i have EVER read, it's beautifully written, and also has an interesting story-line.

e.v.o.l.v.e
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 12:28   #29
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
I liked a history of europe by norman davies as a general introduction to european history and The Third Reich: a new history are two books I enjoyed. I'll give you a list when I get home if you want!
sure, gives me something to do
Unread 22 May 2006, 12:29   #30
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Bester's The Demolished Man, and another mention of Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 12:38   #31
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Well maybe cos its been ripped off quite a lot it didn't feel so original, I don't know.

In terms of classics:

Dead Souls by Gogol is great as is Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky.
I'd agree with the first comment to a degree, but you simply have to put the book in context. It was 'ahead of it's time' when it was written (arguably), and whilst it has been ripped off many times since, sometimes its nice to see where all of these rip off's originated.

To be fair it is a brilliant book.

What did you think of Crime and Punishment?

Oh and to Rids
Quote:
Various member of this forum will attest to it's brilliance.
Quote:
you should try steven erikson...
Lastly, a book I forgot to mention, which I really enjoyed is Albert Camus - The Outsider. It's very short but I would highly recommend it purely as an existentialist literary classic.

Last edited by Cooling; 22 May 2006 at 12:45.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 12:48   #32
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Voltaire has already been mentioned but I have to single out Candide. It's very short & readable, is frequently hilarious and yet still covers a fair few philosophical concepts.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 13:00   #33
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Its only OK.
I disagree, its a great book. I found the plot to be somewhat lacking, and it felt like a fairly lame afterthought (same with 1984) - the main point of the book was to describe something and pose questions. Brave New World is still the best portrayal of the Nietzschean "Last Man" that I've encountered, due to the almost parodic extreme it takes it.

The Brothers Karamazov, on the other hand, I thought was shit. The main problem is that Doestovsky was completely unable to write a character who wasnt decadent - he was great at portraying 'bad' humans, but that was it. In his notes for BK, he said that Alyosha was meant to be the positive character, but this is pretty laughable given that he was at least as contemptible as the rest of them. All throughout the book, I was screaming for the appearnce of a heroic character, someone with even a basic degree of strength, integrity, or honesty, who would stand above the pathetic failures and actually give the whole thing a point. But alas he never came, and I was stuck with 800 pages about mediocrity.

"Notes From the Underground" is far better imo, since it allowed Doestoyvsky to concentrate on what he was best at - writing about sick people and sick societies - rather than trying to take on a task which his religious beliefs probably made him incapable of completing.

Last edited by Nodrog; 22 May 2006 at 13:17.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 15:22   #34
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Oh

Read some Tolstoy: Anna Karenin or War and Peace if you like long but rewarding reads, The Cossacks is shorter and not as good, but still very worthwhile.
And read some Shakespeare (King Lear - it really is some of the best literature ever written).

edit: Oh, and read Le Carré for pretty much the best spy-fiction you'll ever read.
Unread 22 May 2006, 16:12   #35
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
the author of 'Bonfire of the Vanities' (the film of which is on this week I believe, but is meant to be dire and as I recall, much detested by Dace)

you recall correctly
Unread 22 May 2006, 16:16   #36
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
The Brothers Karamazov, on the other hand, I thought was shit. The main problem is that Doestovsky was completely unable to write a character who wasnt decadent - he was great at portraying 'bad' humans, but that was it. In his notes for BK, he said that Alyosha was meant to be the positive character, but this is pretty laughable given that he was at least as contemptible as the rest of them. All throughout the book, I was screaming for the appearnce of a heroic character, someone with even a basic degree of strength, integrity, or honesty, who would stand above the pathetic failures and actually give the whole thing a point. But alas he never came, and I was stuck with 800 pages about mediocrity.

"Notes From the Underground" is far better imo, since it allowed Doestoyvsky to concentrate on what he was best at - writing about sick people and sick societies - rather than trying to take on a task which his religious beliefs probably made him incapable of completing.
I think you're just used to characters who come in and have superhuman characteristics is just because most books don't have the same depth of character that Dostoevsky does. His characters are more worthwhile than simply "good" and "bad", the depth of the psychology is good enough that he can make conflicting interests within the characters seem reasonable. Dostoevsky, along with Dickens and some other chaps, were realists. A "hero" in that book would have ruined it and made it seem unrealistic. The characters did have their virtues, but they were tinged with their vices and their failings. Perfect characters are boring.

I also don't quite understand how you can call such a beacon of virtue and goodness as Alyosha "contemptible", I'd like to hear your reasoning for that. It's certainly not how the character came across to me.

I do think Notes from the Underground is perhaps more brilliant though (but as a far far smaller work I would regard TBK as more of an artistic acheivement, or whatever). It's available online and I would suggest that anyone and everyone read it. Whilst you are doing so, try to remember when it was written and it's even more amazing.

Anyway, books. In the last week I have been cut off from the internet at home I've read quite a few books (god bless the university library). I got out James Joyce - Portrait of the artist as a young man, Nick Hornby - High fidelity, Arthur Conan Doyle - hound of the Baskervilles, Arthur C Clarke - 2001, Iris Murdoch - Nuns and soldiers. I also got out Salman Rushdie - East, West. But I haven't read that yet. I'd never read any of those authors before (yes, I know, shut up) and it has been quite an experience reading so many different styles of writing so densely.

Joyce was pretty intense, I didn't know exactly what to expect, but it was fun to find it anyway. It's quite an odd book with oodles of introspection and psychology and I can't be bothered to actually go into it, but the way it's done is great. Especially the writing evolving with the character (you'll know what I mean if you read it).

The Nick Hornby one I actually read in an evening when I wanted a break from Joyce. Really easy to read and an entertaining enough contemporary tale, according to some friends of mine I shouldn't ever read any more of his books now because they're all the same

Hound of the Baskervilles was as ace as you would expect it to be. I'm almost certainly going to read more Holmes some time in the future (maybe I'll get one out when I leave the library I'm making this post from). Excellent plot, written at a perfect pace to keep the reader on his toes and although it can surprise it always felt justified.

2001 was great too, and I feel as if a certain, common part of sci-fi culture that I should have had years ago has finally been consumed. The ending I certainly wasn't expecting though, but somehow very satisfying.

I only picked up the Nuns and Soldiers because I wanted a woman writer's book and had vaguely heard of the author and the title. It's a beast though, it reminded me a bit of dostoevsky at the start actually, very in depth psychological writing that just seems to go on and on and on. It doesn't get boring though, I haven't actually finished it yet (about 50 pages left out of 500, this one took me as long to read as all the others put together. It being the longest by far and being the second most difficult to read) and I'm hoping that something huge happens at the end. I don't think it will, but theres been intrigue building throughout and I can't wait to see where it has all been leading.

Anyway, I'm babbling now. The above is pretty much "what I have done with my week" so at least I can console my internetless self with the fact that at this rate I will have read a few hundred more classic books by the time i get the internet back. Hurrah!
Unread 22 May 2006, 16:21   #37
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampy
And also, while not a classic, 'Perfume' by Patrick Suskind is one of the best books i have EVER read, it's beautifully written, and also has an interesting story-line.

I was gonna suggest this. I like the clever idea (ie what would happen if you had the best sense of smell in the world EVER!) which made the story make itself.

I've bought the book and given it to someone as a random present because i like it so much.

Saying that though i've lent my sister my copy and she's finding it hard-going apparantly (she does English Lit at Uni too ( ).

Quote:
Lastly, a book I forgot to mention, which I really enjoyed is Albert Camus - The Outsider. It's very short but I would highly recommend it purely as an existentialist literary classic.

And this was going to be my second suggestion. Even if you don't like it it's only like an hour and a half out of your life or so *shrug*
Unread 22 May 2006, 16:36   #38
Ephor
Monkey Man

Ephor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond reputeEphor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Obvious suggestion maybe, but have you read Fever Pitch? I bought it recently but haven't started reading it yet.
Ephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 16:48   #39
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I recently read Perdido Street Station on T&F's recommendation which I enjoyed quite a lot, although if you don't like fantasy/sci-fi it'd undoubtedly leave you cold.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2006, 14:26   #40
Ste
Bored

I'm suprised noone's mentioned Catch 22 yet.
Rated one of the best books of the 20th century.

I really enjoyed it but other people I know had trouble getting into it.

Unread 23 May 2006, 15:46   #41
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste

i enjoyed it, but i found it got a bit boring....made its point, and then went on and on over the same ground.

the reason i didnt mention it before is that i dont consider it a 'real' classic

e.v.o.l.v.e
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2006, 16:08   #42
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh, just thought I would mention something as a "point of interest" for any Spaced fans. In Nuns and soldiers there are two characters who live in london (a couple, sort of, sometimes they live together sometimes apart) called Tim and Daisy. He an artist, she a writer... what are the odds?
Unread 23 May 2006, 16:11   #43
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampy
i enjoyed it, but i found it got a bit boring....made its point, and then went on and on over the same ground.

the reason i didnt mention it before is that i dont consider it a 'real' classic
Personally I didn't find it boring at all, actually I found myself more caught up as I read further on. Obviously the fact most people have heard the tagline and know the story lets down the suspense and drama a little bit but when you're witty and intelligent until the end it's hard to find fault.
Unread 23 May 2006, 16:23   #44
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste

Catch 22 is most certainly a good book, one I enjoyed. But it is repeating itself over and over again, and after a while, it loses the hold it has on you from the start.

The last I read, was The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist. I enjoyed it as entertainment, but it wasn't great in any way. Feist is an acclaimed fantasy writer though, so I will assume others like it more.

Next on the list is Moby Dick (or The White Whale), by Herman Melville. I suppose it could be called one of the classics, and I heard many great things about it, so I'm looking forward to getting on with it sometime this week. Bought it just today, but I haven't looked at it yet. I know the opening line (Call me Ismael), of course, but I didn't know what book it was from before yesterday. Funny how such things can give you impulses overnight.

After that, I think I'll read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It is in my father's bookshelves somewhere, so I'll borrow it together with a few other books. I was thinking about The Divine Comedy by Dante, and The Trial by Franz Kafka. Though, I hear that Dante is writing as if it was a song, and I can't find the book in my own language anywhere (The one my father has is english, and the other one I was able to find was in a different norwegian than my main one). I'm worried about that one, but I got through both The Odyssey and The Iliad, so I suppose I'll manage somehow.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2006, 14:20   #45
furball

Quote:
Weapons of Choice
Designated Targets
Both of these are part of a series named "Axis of Evil". It's actually quite hard to find quality alt-history that's not about the American Civil War, so hopefully these will be a good read.
I finished these books a couple of days ago. They were a superb read, especially on the technological and historical sides. The second book is a very good sequal to the first, so I'll be looking forward to the third in the trilogy.
Unread 5 Jun 2006, 18:15   #46
Jinstarro
the Jinsomniac

Jinstarro is on a distinguished road

First, the worst book i ever read was the Digital Fortress by Dawn Brown. After reading 20 pages you knew what would happen for the rest of the book.. I hate you Dawn Brown!

Now.. what I liked reading:
Terry Pratchett - Mort
Everyone are ought to read one book by Pratchett, and "Mort" is the best one. It's very humorous.

Frank Herbert - Dune
Very interesting book(s). Good reading

Bret Easton Ellis - American Psycho
You'll hate all about the book, but still you love every sentence of it.

Gert Nygaardshaug - Mengele Zoo (dunno if it's in English)
My favourite book. Opens your eyes to the treatment of the rainforest and the people who lives there. Great book.

Miguel Cervantes - Don Quijote
The best book ever written, according to today's writers.
Jinstarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2006, 23:28   #47
The_Tyrant
Giddy little...

The_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to all

I thought Catch 22 was really very very funny.

Started Brave New World on the toilet once but I didn't last long enough.

I really liked I Paid Hitler. Not fiction but a good read.

Also Mr Nice just because Howard Marks is as cool a guy as has ever been.

Peace.
The_Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote