User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Mar 2003, 18:22   #1
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
So, Shock and Awe begins..

16.45 US orders CNN news reporters to leave Baghdad.

B52's over baghdad within an hour.

Damn, I wish I wasnt going out tonight I wanted to watch it
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 18:23   #2
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Oh.

Popcorn time.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 18:24   #3
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
yep, here it goes. I was getting hopeful after the first day, but apparently they're running into resistance now, so they're going to "remind" the iraqi government what it feels like to be shot at.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 18:25   #4
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
BANG BANG BANG BANG

:eek:

BANG BANG BANG BANG

ahhhhhhhhh
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 18:32   #5
Anaximander

Anaximander is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
BANG BANG BANG BANG

:eek:

BANG BANG BANG BANG

ahhhhhhhhh
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 18:32   #6
Torz
Up yours

Torz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud of
SHOW ME THE MOAB!
Torz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 18:34   #7
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Torz
SHOW ME THE MOAB!
Yeah man, apparently they have them loaded in their arsenal.

I need a TV to watch...
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 18:37   #8
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by CrashTester

I need a TV to watch...
Arsenal are a crap team.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 18:43   #9
Anaximander

Quote:

I need a TV to watch...
Perhaps you're lucky and watch live a group of Iraqi soldiers hacking of the head of American/Brit soldier that had been roasted a bit with some burning oil before. First the screams and later all the squirting blood. What a fun.
Ah no, the reporter is next damn....

You ppl are disgusting.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 18:52   #10
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Why is it that, (or so it seems) American and allies lives are more worth then the Iraqis? That stupid 'copter crash, why did it get so much attention? My god, its only 12 ****ing invaders!
Thats nothing, in the grand scheme of things! And if they had stayed home, they would have been alive. But, they choose to fight for their country, and WOAH, they died? Can somebody DIE in a war? ITS SO ****ING HORRIBLE!
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 18:56   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Torz
SHOW ME THE MOAB!
SHOW ME THE MOBY
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 19:07   #12
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
Why is it that, (or so it seems) American and allies lives are more worth then the Iraqis? That stupid 'copter crash, why did it get so much attention? My god, its only 12 ****ing invaders!
Thats nothing, in the grand scheme of things! And if they had stayed home, they would have been alive. But, they choose to fight for their country, and WOAH, they died? Can somebody DIE in a war? ITS SO ****ING HORRIBLE!
if the guy next door to me dies, you wouldn't care. If the guy next door to YOU dies, it's a shame. If it's your mother, it's a tragedy (usually).

Do you see the pattern yet?

And I don't think they'll be using MOAB's anywhere near iraqi cities...however the opening sequence was pretty damn impressive.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 19:09   #13
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
if the guy next door to me dies, you wouldn't care. If the guy next door to YOU dies, it's a shame. If it's your mother, it's a tragedy (usually).

Do you see the pattern yet?

I see the pattern, but i do not agree. Its a war, and therefore, the circumstances are different. Of course, that depends on the people you ask, and therefore, your pattern is correct. (Sadly, in my eyes.)
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 19:16   #14
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
I see the pattern, but i do not agree. Its a war, and therefore, the circumstances are different. Of course, that depends on the people you ask, and therefore, your pattern is correct. (Sadly, in my eyes.)
no, it's rather normal. Humans must be able to assign importance based on relationships to ourselves otherwise we would be torn with grief over everything.

We care more about our own because they are exactly that. Interestingly, we've come a long way from "kill them all and let God sort em out" however. The fact that we assign importance to "oustiders" at all is a major step in the right direction.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 19:21   #15
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Re: So, Shock and Awe begins..

Quote:

afaik, it was the Iraqui gov't, not the US, that ordered CNN to leave Baghdad
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 19:22   #16
Event_Horizon
7H4 B4R73ND3R

Event_Horizon is an unknown quantity at this point
So how long do you all think the war will last?...

Another hour or two?

The Last Ride of Stephen Whatley and His Immortals
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 19:29   #17
Anaximander

Re: Re: So, Shock and Awe begins..

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilly_D
afaik, it was the Iraqui gov't, not the US, that ordered CNN to leave Baghdad
Because they said the Iraq is about to use chemical weapons.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 19:31   #18
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Re: Re: Re: So, Shock and Awe begins..

Quote:
Originally posted by Anaximander
Because they said the Iraq is about to use chemical weapons.
alright...never heard that, thanks. But that leaves the question, why is there still an ITV reporter there? Do the Brits not care if their reporters are killed?
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 19:32   #19
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Re: Re: Re: Re: So, Shock and Awe begins..

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilly_D
alright...never heard that, thanks. But that leaves the question, why is there still an ITV reporter there? Do the Brits not care if their reporters are killed?
The guy from Sky didn't sound like he was going anywhere.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 19:52   #20
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
MORE DEATH AND KILLING THINGS, DESTRUCTION RAMPAGE OWNAGE PWNAGE AND SO ON AND SO FORTH.

This tactic is about as usefull as dropping the a-bomb on japan, and this statement will reveal people that know their history.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 19:59   #21
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
This tactic is about as usefull as dropping the a-bomb on japan, and this statement will reveal people that know their history.
if they were trying to break the spirit of the Iraqi people, sure, but they're trying to break the spirit of the regime's infrastructure. When waging war against a people as a whole, city-bombing doesn't work. However this is a new concept that is being tested where you make it very, very clear that you can get the leadership anywhere at any time and let THEM make the decisions.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 19:59   #22
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

oh and dropping the bomb on Japan worked, regardless of anyone's opinions on the morality of such a decision.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 20:00   #23
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
We care more about our own because they are exactly that.
US and UK soldiers in Iraq right now are murderers illegally invading a sovereign state and nothing whatsoever to do with me. I come from a military family going back generations and I've been proud of that fact, right now I'm ashamed of it.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 20:07   #24
Muslim
Banned

Muslim is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
US and UK soldiers in Iraq right now are murderers illegally invading a sovereign state and nothing whatsoever to do with me. I come from a military family going back generations and I've been proud of that fact, right now I'm ashamed of it.
not yer fault
blame this guys that pay no heed to theyr brethren
Muslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 20:30   #25
Lord Talon

Lord Talon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Muslim
not yer fault
blame this guys that pay no heed to theyr brethren

you mean like the types that ignore saddam for 12 years while he spends his country's funds on building palaces and monuments to himself instead of using it to feed his people?
Lord Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 20:48   #26
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
if they were trying to break the spirit of the Iraqi people, sure, but they're trying to break the spirit of the regime's infrastructure. When waging war against a people as a whole, city-bombing doesn't work. However this is a new concept that is being tested where you make it very, very clear that you can get the leadership anywhere at any time and let THEM make the decisions.
God you missed the point further then the average american soldier, the point is not why they are bombing or IF it has effect, the point is that you cannot justify this bombing for the added effect it will have.

The war was already won before it started, nobody doubts the iraqi will do more damage to the US then the average six year old can. Then why bomb on such a large scale? Are those few days you might gain worth the extra damage in lifes and property?

The answer is quite simply no, and the parallel between the bombs on japan is very real. The war would have been won in a short period back then, the only reason the US nuked japan is because the russians wanted to join the war on japan as well and they didn't want them to have any control over japan as soon as the war was over.

Grand overall big picture conclusion: bombing on this scale is unneccessary, the effects and reasons are not doubted, but the gains do not outweigh the costs. I'm sure you don't agree with me, but at least in 50 years I can switch on Discovery Channel and see a documentary explaining how the shockbombing was the second most unneccessary american tactic in the history of warfware.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 20:49   #27
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
Originally posted by WorkMonkey
Just because its illegal, doesnt make it unjust.
So when I kill you because you are a complete and utter twat I won't get convicted because I was just in my actions?
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 21:16   #28
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
It is not their fault. They did not sign up knowing they were going to fight in an illegal war, and there is nothing they can do about it now.

p.s. it is not illegal.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 21:34   #29
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
It is not their fault. They did not sign up knowing they were going to fight in an illegal war, and there is nothing they can do about it now.
History has shown that following orders is no defence against war crimes. Anyone refusing to go to Iraq would indeed be arrested and tried by court martial but a good defence lawyer familiar with military law (Gilbert Blades would kill for such a case and would win it) could easily demonstrate the invasion had no legal authority and therefore anyone obeying orders to attack would be guilty of war crimes and as such the order was illegal.
Quote:
p.s. it is not illegal.
Dream on, we've had this argument several times.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 21:39   #30
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
SHOW ME THE MOBY
SHOW ME THE JOBBY!

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 21:58   #31
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
History has shown that following orders is no defence against war crimes. Anyone refusing to go to Iraq would indeed be arrested and tried by court martial
In a democracy, responsibility for the actions of the military lies clearly and entirely on the citizenship as a whole.

It is quite detestable for someone to order someone else to commit a certain act with the alternative being spending the rest of his life in prison, and then claim that he is responsible for committing the act. Above and beyond hypocrisy.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:02   #32
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
Its almost close to the complete carpet bombing that I was hoping for.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:22   #33
M_Drudge
Leader, Free Republic

M_Drudge is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: So, Shock and Awe begins..

Quote:

Why would you want to watch it? Do you get off on watching people get killed?

I'm hoping there is minimal loss of life all the way around. According to reports, the coalition forces have already lost more people than the Iraqi's are admitting to losing, so some of you are getting what you want.

We should all desire soldiers from both sides to be spared, God willing, and I think, if anyone is going to do something like this under the Laws of Land Warfare and in a humane manner, the US and UK will do so, in such a way as to minimize loss of life on both sides.

I think the way this action is handled will go a long way towards healing wounds between the coalition countries and those opposed.

Of course, this all remains to be seen...
M_Drudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:27   #34
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
i dont care if the world blows up anymore :/ the first riots have started in egypt and yemen.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:33   #35
M_Drudge
Leader, Free Republic

Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
i dont care if the world blows up anymore :/ the first riots have started in egypt and yemen.
It's all about control, wu_trax. The people "rioting" are either misguided "anti-war" protestors who hate "organized" military violence, but adhere to a strict policy of being loose-cannon types on the streets and don't mind that form of violence, OR they are strict adherents to radical Muslim faith, and they see the possibility of a free Iraq as frightening.

Either way, whatever happens, I'm sorry you have given-up on the world. Personally, I think we have an opportunity to move ahead and make things even better, but that's just my sunny disposition.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:40   #36
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by M_Drudge
It's all about control, wu_trax. The people "rioting" are either misguided "anti-war" protestors who hate "organized" military violence, but adhere to a strict policy of being loose-cannon types on the streets and don't mind that form of violence, OR they are strict adherents to radical Muslim faith, and they see the possibility of a free Iraq as frightening.
they are not 'fanatic' muslims, not yet, but they will become fanatics and more and more will follow them, the longer the war lasts.

Quote:
Either way, whatever happens, I'm sorry you have given-up on the world. Personally, I think we have an opportunity to move ahead and make things even better, but that's just my sunny disposition.
what exactly do you want to 'make better' ? let people make things better on their own, because most likely they dont want you to help them by blowing up a whole country.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:43   #37
M_Drudge
Leader, Free Republic

Quote:
[b]they are not 'fanatic' muslims, not yet, but they will become fanatics and more and more will follow them, the longer the war lasts.

what exactly do you want to 'make better' ? let people make things better on their own, because most likely they dont want you to help them by blowing up a whole country.
Please explain, who is blowing-up a whole country? Seriously, do you know something nobody else does? Seems to me the coalition forces are showing tremendous restraint in their conduct of this campaign.

Care to share what's not on the air?
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:43   #38
Treyjun

Quote:
Your concept of whats right an wrong in this matter is simply an opinion. Nice to hear but no more and no less than opinion.

After the sacrifices past generations have made on your behalf Would be interesting if you had the chance to sit with them an explain for what resons you should be ashamed of them.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:43   #39
wu_trax

oh, and blowing up a raffinery in iran certainly wont help the situation neither.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:47   #40
wu_trax

Quote:
Please explain, who is blowing-up a whole country? Seriously, do you know something nobody else does? Seems to me the coalition forces are showing tremendous restraint in their conduct of this campaign.

Care to share what's not on the air?
yes, shooting a few hundred cruise missles on iraq + bombing with b-52-bombers certainly is a sign of 'tremendous restraint', and ofc, all targets have been checked before the attack.
hell, they coud just nuke them if they would really want to.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:49   #41
Treyjun

Quote:
Of course you care, you may feel doom an gloom because you disagree with what is happening, but have faith that the world is in general improving an will be a better place for everyone to live dispite some minor setbacks every now an then.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:50   #42
M_Drudge
Leader, Free Republic

Quote:
History has shown that following orders is no defence against war crimes. Anyone refusing to go to Iraq would indeed be arrested and tried by court martial but a good defence lawyer familiar with military law (Gilbert Blades would kill for such a case and would win it) could easily demonstrate the invasion had no legal authority and therefore anyone obeying orders to attack would be guilty of war crimes and as such the order was illegal.
Interesting hypothesis. If true, why are you not rallying for Saddam to be tried for "war crimes" for his invasion of the sovereign nation of Kuwait in 1991? Or for the numerous other leaders of countries who have done exactly the same thing in the last 50 years?

Why not charge the US for their entry into Afghanistan?

Why are you not crying just as loudly for Osama bin Laden to be tried for his crimes against the United States?

I see these kinds of arguments all the time. They are like fluffy warm robes after a hot shower on a cold day. Just the thing to wrap around yourself when you have nothing truly competent or enlightening to add to a conversation.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:53   #43
M_Drudge
Leader, Free Republic

Quote:
yes, shooting a few hundred cruise missles on iraq + bombing with b-52-bombers certainly is a sign of 'tremendous restraint', and ofc, all targets have been checked before the attack.
I'm a bit shocked that you would ask that the coalition "check" valid military targets before striking them. Let's be frank here. If even ONE civilian had been killed as of yet, don't you think there would have been a huge outcry? Don't you think the Iraqi Propaganda machine would have let the liberal press (read BBC/Reuters/ad nauseum) know what happened and added the obligatory 95% civilian casualties to the total?

Naivete seems to be a wrinkled suit on you.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:54   #44
Treyjun

Quote:

-----------------
yes, shooting a few hundred cruise missles on iraq + bombing with b-52-bombers certainly is a sign of 'tremendous restraint',
-------------------
True

---------------------
and ofc, all targets have been checked before the attack.
---------------------
True

----------------
---------------------------
True

Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:59   #45
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Why are you not crying just as loudly for Osama bin Laden to be tried for his crimes against the United States?
Why aren't YOU calling for those involved in the Rwandan genocides to be imprisoned? Why aren't you calling for child murderers to be put in prison? Why aren't you calling for members of the IRA to be brought to justice....etc.

This sort of argument is silly. I'm sure Gayle (and others in this thread) DO want Saddam Hussein to be tried for war crimes. They also want Bin Laden brought to justice. But that's not what this thread is about.

They also don't bother making threads calling for Bin Laden to be arrested because there is no-one on this forum who defends him. There are however people who will defend George W Bush (not comparing the two men you understand) and therefore that's why you will find posts criticsing him.

Controversy (e.g. George W Bush is a war criminal) = Posts
Obvious non-controversy (e.g. Hitler was a war criminal) = Lack of Posts

(ps. I know do not feed the trolls, but there are also genuine people who use this argument)
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 22:59   #46
wu_trax

Quote:
I'm a bit shocked that you would ask that the coalition "check" valid military targets before striking them. Let's be frank here. If even ONE civilian had been killed as of yet, don't you think there would have been a huge outcry? Don't you think the Iraqi Propaganda machine would have let the liberal press (read BBC/Reuters/ad nauseum) know what happened and added the obligatory 95% civilian casualties to the total?

Naivete seems to be a wrinkled suit on you.
i dont 'ask' for that, its just what Mr. Rumsfeld said. propaganda++
and how could there be an outcry if we dont even get notice of it? both sides use the media for their propaganda, and dont tell your 'liberal' press is free to move, they are controlled by your military. they call that 'embedded teams' nowadays i think.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 23:03   #47
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
If even ONE civilian had been killed as of yet, don't you think there would have been a huge outcry?
Too late, the Iraqi propaganda machine has lept into action :

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content...at=8&id=253581

http://www.middle-east-online.com/english/?id=4751

http://www.themercury.news.com.au/co...E25778,00.html
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 23:11   #48
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
<snip>
Don't be ridiculous. Of course I believe the 'bad guys' should be tried and convicted for their crimes under the law. The problem is we're acting in breach of international law and using 'might is right' as our justification.
Quote:
I see these kinds of arguments all the time. They are like fluffy warm robes after a hot shower on a cold day. Just the thing to wrap around yourself when you have nothing truly competent or enlightening to add to a conversation.
Um...no. I firmly believe Blades really would win a case along those lines, he knows military law better than the forces lawyers do and he's also a specialist in human rights cases. So, given that you've probably never even HEARD of him (whereas I've met him) I feel moderately secure in the belief that MY contribution was more enlightening than YOUR contribution.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 23:19   #49
M_Drudge
Leader, Free Republic

Quote:
[b]Don't be ridiculous. Of course I believe the 'bad guys' should be tried and convicted for their crimes under the law. The problem is we're acting in breach of international law and using 'might is right' as our justification.

Um...no. I firmly believe Blades really would win a case along those lines, he knows military law better than the forces lawyers do and he's also a specialist in human rights cases. So, given that you've probably never even HEARD of him (whereas I've met him) I feel moderately secure in the belief that MY contribution was more enlightening than YOUR contribution.
I won't argue about this Blades character,...however, I WILL argue about whether or not the US is in violation of international law.

The UN resolutions are pretty clear, and for anyone to believe that the US would do this in violation of international law is preposterous, nay, absurd.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 23:22   #50
wu_trax

Quote:
I won't argue about this Blades character,...however, I WILL argue about whether or not the US is in violation of international law.

The UN resolutions are pretty clear, and for anyone to believe that the US would do this in violation of international law is preposterous, nay, absurd.
'pretty clear' ?????