User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Mar 2003, 05:27   #1
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
I guess it's not just the US that does it

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/...ths/index.html

silly brits
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 05:45   #2
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
oops
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 06:04   #3
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
*sigh* I read that earlier..I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point it out...

It happens.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 06:14   #4
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
*sigh* I read that earlier..I was wondering how long it would take for someone to point it out...

It happens.
I know it happens...I just felt the need to post about it cuz everyone always bashes the US when they do it. you see ppl, it's war, when there's that much sh*t goin on, things happen, and ppl make mistakes....whether they're American or not doesn't matter
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 06:15   #5
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:

It happens.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 06:19   #6
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

well, we killed our own countrymen at least :-D
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 06:26   #7
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
well, we killed our own countrymen at least :-D
lol, i spose that's a 'good' way to look at it
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 06:27   #8
Judge
Doh!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilly_D
I know it happens...I just felt the need to post about it cuz everyone always bashes the US when they do it. you see ppl, it's war, when there's that much sh*t goin on, things happen, and ppl make mistakes....whether they're American or not doesn't matter
Indeed, and if you looked at some of the replies in the Friendly Fire thread?
You would see that it has already been pointed out that it happens outside of the US, and without US influence.

What is often percieved as a US problem (Friendly Fire incidents) is due to a number of factors.

The US is often a very large contributor in modern conflict, they have the most troops on the ground. Therefore it would be the case that as they have the largest number, there is a larger probability of a fck up involving them, as it has been quaintly put.

The US in the past has worked with many other country's armed forces, and systems have not always been in place to identify friendlies adequately.

So far we have seen three possible Friendly Fire incidents.

1 An Air Craft downed by a Patriot Missile Battery
2 A possibility that a Journalist was killed in crossfire (to be confirmed)
3 A possibility that a British Tank has shot at another. (to be confirmed)

Considering that there are almost 1/3 of a million UK/US/Allied Forces, in a Combat area the size of Texas, and that ordanance is being deployed/dropped at a rate higher than in any other modern conflict, what is surprising is the low number of FF incidents.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 06:35   #9
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

you forgot the mid-air colission of the helicopters
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 06:37   #10
Judge
Doh!

Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
you forgot the mid-air colission of the helicopters
hmm possibly, but that was considered an accident, and not an act of agression.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 09:07   #11
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
What about the soldier lobbing the grenade at his pals?

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 09:56   #12
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
it's not like he thought that it was a tent full of Iraqis.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 11:17   #13
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Oh-Oh-Spaghetti-O's!!!
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 11:26   #14
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
He was a muslim in the american army who was getting bullied because of his race.
link
interestingly:
"The phenomenon of soldiers deliberately attacking those on the same side became known as "fragging" during the Vietnam war, because fragmentation grenades were often used. The attacks were often sparked by confrontations involving racism.

Precise figures remain unknown, but according to some historians at least 600 American soldiers were killed in fragging attacks in the course of the Vietnam conflict."

That's a hell of a lot!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 21:13   #15
IndiaSour

IndiaSour is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Ste
He was a muslim in the american army who was getting bullied because of his race.
link
interestingly:
"The phenomenon of soldiers deliberately attacking those on the same side became known as "fragging" during the Vietnam war, because fragmentation grenades were often used. The attacks were often sparked by confrontations involving racism.

Precise figures remain unknown, but according to some historians at least 600 American soldiers were killed in fragging attacks in the course of the Vietnam conflict."

That's a hell of a lot!
I would imagine that would be due to the fact many Americans were forced there (i.e. the Draft), volunteers are more likely to take it - versus some guy who was drafted against his will most likely and now hates the world...

That is of course, speculation on my part.
IndiaSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 21:30   #16
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally posted by IndiaSour
I would imagine that would be due to the fact many Americans were forced there (i.e. the Draft), volunteers are more likely to take it - versus some guy who was drafted against his will most likely and now hates the world...

afaik, the US doesn't have the draft anymore....I could be wrong tho
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 21:36   #17
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
I think (according to the secretary on Badiel and Skinner Unplanned last week who was american) the draft is still going.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 21:38   #18
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:

WILD speculation. The army hasn't run the draft since vietnam.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 22:32   #19
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I think he was talking about the events in Vietnam with regards to fragging, not the current situation.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 23:24   #20
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrism
I think he was talking about the events in Vietnam with regards to fragging, not the current situation.
aaah so he was...my mistake.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 01:39   #21
IndiaSour

Quote:
Quote:
I shouldve been specific... I meant the Vietnam war
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 02:00   #22
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Quote:
I shouldve been specific... I meant the Vietnam war
just read it too fast. Anyway, it was probably more down to the fact that there were lots of race issues in american culture at that time. The civil rights movement was really just taking off when vietnam started, and you always get those assholes who seem to think they can call you a ****** even if you've A> got a gun and B> supposedly watching your back in a firefight.

I'm amazed that more weren't killed.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 02:34   #23
IndiaSour

Quote:

I'm amazed that more weren't killed.
As am I.