User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Nov 2005, 17:47   #1
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Getting A Pet

My wife and I are planning toget a dog 'to fill the empty spaces, where we used to talk' or whatever. My question is: how much work is likely to be involved in having a dog? We had one when I was a kid, but I didn't have to feed it or anything, so I'm not sure I have a firm grasp.

Acceptable responses can include anything in a range from actually answering the relevant question to talking about what pets you have/had to pointing out how the need for a pet shows fundamental personality flaws to mentioning that time in Bangkok where it turned out that the supposed 'roast beef sandwich' was actually a dog/rat blend.

Thanks all <3
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 17:56   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Getting A Pet

Don't get a pet, they're shit and you'll turn shit too.

I mean, for god's sake do you want be that guy walking around your neighbourhood at 2am with a plastic bag to pick up animal faeces with?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 17:56   #3
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
My question is: how much work is likely to be involved in having a dog?

you often come up with sensible, intelligent posts in threads about 'difficult' matters.

and now this?

KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 17:57   #4
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ayako and I got a 6 month old dog in 2004. It was run over 3 months later on the street.

Lesson #1.
Control your dog, with a leash. (It had a leash, but it got away, chased some skater, ended up in the street). It was pretty devestating. Here is a picture of the now passed away Max .

Since then we got a new dog, Belle .

You have to take them out to let them releave themselves (ours 3 times a day). You have to feed them, water them. You also have to give them considerable amount of attention. You also need to discipline them, or else you'll be devoting more time in the long rung. All these things take time. You should also develop an affection for the animal. If you're not sure you want to devote time to the animal my suggestions is not to get one.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 17:58   #5
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

I mean, for god's sake do you want be that guy walking around your neighbourhood at 2am with a plastic bag to pick up animal faeces with?
That's me. :/
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 18:07   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

my pet rock is low in time required to spend on it.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 18:07   #7
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:

that's why we didn't get one at the old place. we'd often get pretty close, then some night we'd come home and one of our neighbors would be standing outside with a dog on a leash and a plastic bag over the other looking suitably miserable and i would state aloud 'no. that ain't me.'

but now we have a yard, and i'm confident i can train it to poop in the neighbor's bushes etc.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 18:08   #8
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
that's why we didn't get one at the old place. we'd often get pretty close, then some night we'd come home and one of our neighbors would be standing outside with a dog on a leash and a plastic bag over the other looking suitably miserable and i would state aloud 'no. that ain't me.'

but now we have a yard, and i'm confident i can train it to poop in the neighbor's bushes etc.
Yeah with a yard it will be much easier.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 18:16   #9
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Get a sheep, tie it in the garden and hey presto! New lawnmower.

Plus I hear they're not big on needing attention/hugs but grooming can be difficult, but you only have to do it once a year or something, plus if you get tired of it, those Bangkok stories come true, but you have roast sheep for SUnday roast.

win win win win win win....

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 18:19   #10
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Get a sheep, tie it in the garden and hey presto! New lawnmower.

Plus I hear they're not big on needing attention/hugs but grooming can be difficult, but you only have to do it once a year or something, plus if you get tired of it, those Bangkok stories come true, but you have roast sheep for SUnday roast.

win win win win win win....
And if you're in the mood and the wife's not around...
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 18:26   #11
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
And if you're in the mood and the wife's not around...
you can make her a sweater from scratch to surprise her with! or **** a sheep!
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 18:35   #12
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

I have a pet. I call it Nodrog. Only problem is, you bait him enough and he bites you. I am sure he will be along soon.

Joking aside, dogs can be high maintenence, I get by with my cat.

And the best ever pet for children should you get any, is rats. They pwn.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 18:49   #13
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Dogs are quite a lot of work. Some larger dogs require walking for at least 30 mins - 1 hour a day to get enough exercise (some of the more energetic ones prefer 2+ hours a day).
In addition to feeding them 1-2 times per day, you have to give them quite a lot of time (they get lonely and badly behaved ones start chewing things), so someone needs to be around, at least at first, for the majority of the day. If you want to get a puppy, it WILL chew things, pee everywhere until trained, and have to be taken to the vet for jabs (depending on how young it is). If you get a dog that's 6 months - 1 year, you often still have to discipline it and teach it how to be (at least slightly) obedient. This really pays off in the long run. It's easier if you have a (fairly) large garden to let them run in. You'll also have to work out where you want to keep it when people who don't like dogs come, where it will sleep, etc.
Be prepared for it to eat something disgusting (another dogs shit) and then decide it doesn't like it and throw up, or for it to get ill maybe once a year and be taken to the vets. Also, as they get older (10+, depending on the dog) they start to need drops and tablets like us.

They're nice, they keep you company and give you LOTS to do, but .. yeah you have to have a fair amount of time :-)
I have 2 black labs at home (i.e. when I'm not at uni).
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 18:59   #14
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Dogs are pack animals and require the presence of other animals (you and your wife fit this bill). Dogs get lonely when left alone for very long.

If you could teach the dog to post on GD (should the dog show any signs of autism or other anti-social tendencies) you could improve both GD and the dog,
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 19:03   #15
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

Get a cat, no walkies, just open the door or even fit a cat flap. Put a bit of food down each morning and torment it with a bit of string every so often. Job done.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 19:24   #16
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

There's too much ****ing work involved with pets to be honest. Plus they'll usually die before you, and if they don't....then that's the least of your worries....
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 19:26   #17
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

holy shit youre married
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 19:27   #18
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I'd like to get a wolf as a pet.

I'm sure if I'll be allowed by the authorities though....
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 19:51   #19
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Ant Farm for the real pet experience.

It's amazing the things they do.

We have one in our flat, such resilient little creatures.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 19:59   #20
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
My wife and I are planning toget a dog 'to fill the empty spaces, where we used to talk' or whatever.
Don't be a fool.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 20:09   #21
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

dogs are a lot of work... if you want to take care of it properly it will probably need at least 3 walks a day.

Although that does depend a lot on where you live, do you have a decent garden?
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 20:56   #22
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
except he'd actually have a dog with him

also, get a hamster. although they only for live for 2-3 years
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 23:26   #23
derry

derry will become famous soon enoughderry will become famous soon enough

Get a cat instead of a dog, they are lower maintenance.
[18:45] <Helix> if two wrongs dont make a right its twice as wrong to do something wrong to right it

[00:22] <Doom> Where as in most cases it appears multing is an individual thing, LDK organises it and uses it. Making it an effective unit with a small number of players. It makes sense just not part of the rules. They just organised cheating =-)
derry is offline   Reply With Quote