User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 31 May 2005, 20:00   #1
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Selfish

After our year recently completed our ongoing case study into one of our patients and then proceeded to peer mark each others work, we went down the pub.

Now, blatantly flouting the confidentiality laws that we all are held accountable to by law, we were discussing what we had read about the various patients earlier that day.

And now the point of this thread.

The person who's report i was marking described his patient as extremely selfish for the enhancement surgery (boobs, botox etc) that she had undergone as well as being extremely fussy about having her hair or face touched in anyway - also refusing to lie face down on the bench.

So we were discussing what we thought was selfish.

Is this woman selfish for what she has undergone and her general behaviour?

What do you think it the most selfish thing a person can do/undertake?

The two acts that came up prevelantly (and perhaps unsurprisingly) as the most selfsih thing a person can do were masturbation and sucide.

Or maybe some twisted combination of both?

What do you think?

Just putting that out there - do what you will with it.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2005, 20:01   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Selfish

wanking yourself to death eh ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 31 May 2005, 20:02   #3
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

nothing wrong with being selfish, so long as you don't affect anyone else in a negative way.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2005, 20:54   #4
Nantoz

Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
wanking yourself to death eh ?
Autoerotic suicides are known to happen...
Nantoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 01:32   #5
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalon
What do you think it the most selfish thing a person can do/undertake?
Taking something another person needs more.
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 01:52   #6
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
Taking something another person needs more.
is it really possible for someone else to need something more than you?

i mean, if someone says, "this is worth a million dollars to me", then isn't that thing worth exactly a million to me too, noting that i could sell it to him for a million?

art is selfish. taking shit is only natural.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 02:11   #7
Duncan
saint-ciboire de tabarnac

Duncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud of

Quote:
is it really possible for someone else to need something more than you?
A person starving to death needs food more then a fat lard eating their 10th pancake in one sitting. A person dying of disease needs more medical treatment then someone getting plastic surgery etc.

Putting yourself before others is selfish. I'd also say that being selfish is quite natural and is a main cause of our daily failures, successes and conflicts.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 03:33   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrash
A person starving to death needs food more then a fat lard eating their 10th pancake in one sitting. A person dying of disease needs more medical treatment then someone getting plastic surgery etc.

Putting yourself before others is selfish. I'd also say that being selfish is quite natural and is a main cause of our daily failures, successes and conflicts.
Actually you require/need in order to do something, eg you need food in order to stay alive. The question of virtue then lies in the comparative values of the aims of your needs. I said something very simple in an extremely convoluted fashion there. My bad :(
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 09:05   #9
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

What's so selfish about the five knuckle shuffle?
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 09:44   #10
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
i mean, if someone says, "this is worth a million dollars to me", then isn't that thing worth exactly a million to me too, noting that i could sell it to him for a million?
and making money of someone who truly needs something isn't selfish?

ofc he may not truly need it and he may be able to afford the million dollar tag easily. but that's real likely in the context of the actual desperate cases in the world today eh?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 10:32   #11
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I thoguht selfish menat prioritising your needs over others. So if you were wanking rather than having sex with your wife OR if you killed yourself rather than looking after your family, but in isolation neither of those acts are selfish, although perhaps thoughtless.
I agree.

Although we were sort of discussing it in terms of 'an act that benefits noone but yourself'.

How correct this is in the term of 'selfish' i'm not entirely sure.

So, by our (likely flawed) reasoning, masturbation and suicide benefit only the individual undertaking them i.e. they are not selfless in any way shape or form, hence they are selfish.

May be entirely wrong of course, but :

1) it was a pub discussion and
2) i've just wrote a 5,000 word presentation with little sleep so am unable to properly argue my point

Unread 1 Jun 2005, 12:25   #12
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
art is selfish.

what?
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 12:29   #13
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
art is selfish.
I'm sure Paul Simon is just as bad.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 12:37   #14
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
I'm sure Paul Simon is just as bad.
But I don't want to call you Al
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 19:01   #15
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As far as I can tell, the word 'selfish' is normally used to mean "something I dont like", so I suppose that your opinion on the seflishness of cosmetic surgery is going to be determined by whether or not you happen to approve of cosmetic surgery.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 19:07   #16
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I thoguht selfish menat prioritising your needs over others. So if you were wanking rather than having sex with your wife OR if you killed yourself rather than looking after your family
Or if you chose to post on the internet rather than helping out in a soup kitchen, or ate your lunch instead of giving it to a homeless person.
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 19:33   #17
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Or if you chose to post on the internet rather than helping out in a soup kitchen, or ate your lunch instead of giving it to a homeless person.
Or told people to research tarantulas instead of battleships just so you'd get the power-up and win the game.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 19:35   #18
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dead_Meat again.
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 19:45   #19
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Or told people to research tarantulas instead of battleships just so you'd get the power-up and win the game.
This is the only remotely amusing tarantulas joke made in the last 3 years, congratulations.
Unread 1 Jun 2005, 20:31   #20
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I knew there was life in that old joke yet.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 22:03   #21
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
As far as I can tell, the word 'selfish' is normally used to mean "something I dont like", so I suppose that your opinion on the seflishness of cosmetic surgery is going to be determined by whether or not you happen to approve of cosmetic surgery.
Well think about the word "self"-"ish" to do something to only benefit one's self- without regarding the consequences for others.

Undoubtably- rape. Not only do you ruin and traumatise the life of a women. But you bring an innocent child into the world. Unwanted. In some cases Unloved. Without a family.

OR

You force a women to get an abortion. A truly horrible experience- I cannot even begin to offer an opinion on it- why? Because I am a guy- I could never, ever, possibly understand what it would be like to have a life blossoming inside me- something totally dependant on me- for love, for food- for its life. And to have to choose to kill it? To end its exsistence before it has known love? Known happiness.

Rape disgusts me. I abhor it. I would galdy shoot any rapist. And then myself, I couldn't live with the guilt of taking a life- but I would still do it. A sacrifice I would make to try better the world out there for women, and their unborn children.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 22:06   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You don't have to choose to do anything.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 22:22   #23
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics
Well think about the word "self"-"ish" to do something to only benefit one's self- without regarding the consequences for others.

Undoubtably- rape. Not only do you ruin and traumatise the life of a women. But you bring an innocent child into the world. Unwanted. In some cases Unloved. Without a family.

OR

You force a women to get an abortion. A truly horrible experience- I cannot even begin to offer an opinion on it- why? Because I am a guy- I could never, ever, possibly understand what it would be like to have a life blossoming inside me- something totally dependant on me- for love, for food- for its life. And to have to choose to kill it? To end its exsistence before it has known love? Known happiness.

Rape disgusts me. I abhor it. I would galdy shoot any rapist. And then myself, I couldn't live with the guilt of taking a life- but I would still do it. A sacrifice I would make to try better the world out there for women, and their unborn children.
you do know that not all sexual intercourse results in conception don't you?
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 22:32   #24
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

If it harms none... do what you will...

there ya go, nqp

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 22:34   #25
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
you do know that not all sexual intercourse results in conception don't you?
I know, but to disregard that a possible consequence is utterly selfish. It DOES NOT, IN ANY WAY justify it.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 22:41   #26
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

And neg rep for my post? I don't understand how anyone could really have taken offence at that.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 22:44   #27
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics
I know, but to disregard that a possible consequence is utterly selfish. It DOES NOT, IN ANY WAY justify it.
i never said it did. i do not deny the fact that rape is quite traumatic. i also heard somewhere that most rapists can be traumatised by it aswell
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 22:53   #28
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
i also heard somewhere that most rapists can be traumatised by it aswell
Laughing out loud on the internet.
Unread 5 Jun 2005, 22:55   #29
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Laughing out loud on the internet.
Agreed.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 00:38   #30
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

I'm tempted to nominate that as POTW.

heh

Unread 6 Jun 2005, 07:23   #31
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Thermodynamics and horn have a big contest here for the "angsty youngster with interesting ideas" niche.

Gee golly!
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 11:16   #32
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_horn
do you really have to romanticise it so much ? all that does is further digress from the rather elusive attempt at objectivity
is it really that hard to imagine what it would be like ?
i don't think it is at all.
i can only speak for myself but i've had unique experiences that have felt familiar. As in the emotions or feelings attached are not a suprise, or even unfamiliar, not because i've been in a circumstance that has evoked such a feeling before, but that i've simply thought of what the experience would be like (and sometimes/possibly even dremt of it)

aside from that, isn't the feeling you get from a stimulus i.e. being pregnant completely subjective ?
the meaning you attach to it, or that you perceive to be "natural" is not a determined constant.
some women might not see it as a big deal, they might simply not even care. whereas someone else, including yourself obviously see it differently

i understand why such a subject might cause such a response, but when you start saying that "all rapists should die", try and take a step back and think just how callous that is

If you really want to get down to it- happiness is nothing but a chemical reaction in your brain being influenced by external stimuli which you have been conditioned to believe are positive.

Last edited by Thermodynamics; 6 Jun 2005 at 11:40.
Thermodynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 11:22   #33
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Quote:

i understand why such a subject might cause such a response, but when you start saying that "all rapists should die", try and take a step back and think just how callous that is
I am in love with a girl who had the misfortune to have had such an incident happen to her at a very young age. I see firsthand the devestation caused, I see her depression, this is something she has tried to carry, at at times she has tried to relieve that burden, and lucky for me she hasn't succeeded And it kills me, I am there for her, but there is nothing I can do , I can't make it better- I can't take away the pain, the loss. I can't take some of the burden for her. And it kills me seeing her like this. Not to mention what has stemmed from it- alcohol abuse, various addictions. It won't go on out of respect for her.

And I love her to bits.

And tell me, me who has been a vegetarian for years, me who refuses to kill any living creature that I am callous ?
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 11:39   #34
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Quote:
i'm sorry to hear that, i'm very aware that will probably sound patronising but there isn't much i can do about it.
i don't think you're a bad person, but i think what you said was callous. being a vegetarian (an admirable trait in my eyes, not necessarily because i think it is morally correct but because it is hard to do) does not mean all your decisions are going to be virtuous.
You shouldn't think your every belief is justified because you believe yourself to be a "good person".
i fully understand why you would feel such a way about this, but then that's the reason why we try to have an impartial jury/judge to pass judgement.
Yes perhaps my ehm... opinion is somewhat overshadowed by my experiences, but I do believe rape.. to use one of yours... is ( in my opinion!) one of the most callous crimes. I'm not a good person and most of my decisions are not virtuous, I have difficulty killing anything, even insects- hence I'm a vegetarian- and I said this, not to justify my opinion or to claim the moral high ground, but merely to illustrate the point that I have a certain reverance for life- thus hinting at how little value I place on a rapist's life.

And yes you are right [I'm a big boy, I can admit when I'm wrong] this is the reason we have an impartial jury!

Friends big_horn?
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 11:47   #35
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Yes of course, I generalise- the first few tiers on Maslow's pyramid of human needs goes without saying- we don't really need conditioning to enjoy those. Sorry to hear your about your depression mate- I suffer also- though I actually find myself better off when I'm not being fed [pardon this...] optimistic drivel by therapists etc. I am a pessimist at heart- I shall always prepare for the worst case scenarion- be ready for every and any eventualilty!
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 11:49   #36
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Quote:
i already decided i liked you from an earlier post....
so my question to you thermo is....... can we continue this on irc and later post in the cyber sex thread so that we can bring a little light into the shadowy realm of yahwe and MM
Yes, yes we can! That murky MM and his associate Yahwe... what channel? I'm at work at the moment... so I shan't be at an IRC computer till tonight... Yes, I kinda gathered we had a few things in common...
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 15:46   #37
JonnyBGood
Banned

You two need friends.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 17:39   #38
Ste
Bored

awww GD brings love to two people yet again <3

Unread 6 Jun 2005, 18:00   #39
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
You two need friends.
Jonny... will you be our friend? It would mean so much to us...
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 18:01   #40
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Please?
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 18:03   #41
JonnyBGood
Banned

Seeing as you've changed your signature into something far more snappy okay. Welcome to the elite internet users club.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 18:19   #42
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

They can talk about how they like Linkin Park and sit in the dark hating the world with each other all day long.
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 21:07   #43
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

If some of those fellas off GD are in it it can't be that elite....

Tomkat i'm really sorry to hear you like linkin park... I mean I used to have respect for you...
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 21:20   #44
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't eat lobsters, mussels or oysters...

that would be shellfish
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote