User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 29 Nov 2006, 10:33   #1
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Quicker rounds?

I dont know if its the general shitness of the round or if its a constant worry for PA, but is the long rounds making the game lose players?

I think that a good round probably should be even longer, but for me it seems like alot of people lose interest over the game 3-4 weeks before the game ends.

Is this a common expirience or is it just me?

I've talked to a few other hc's in other alliances and they say more or less the same.

Should we think about shortening the rounds abit?

Or maybe even consider shorter rounds but half hour ticks?
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 10:37   #2
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Quicker rounds?

In my honest (and exhausted) opinion, this round has lasted too long.

Maybe it's just the fact that I've been more active than what healthy is the last 2 weeks, but I'm weary to the bone right now.

So I'd definately say shorter rounds. And I'd love half hour ticks.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 11:49   #3
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

How long is a round nowadays - 3-4 months? I havent played PA in a while but my view on round length is this. After a certain point into the game (usually only a few weeks) the gap between the top and bottom planets become massive and its hard for new players to compete. In this case long rounds are bad for the game and bad for players as it is inevitable that things will stagnate.

If the game can generate a constant influx of new players on a regular basis then longer rounds are sustainable but in my experience this wont happen with PA as it is.

What needs to happen is the game needs to be designed so that new players are not put off joining because the dont stand a chance of competing because the round has been running for several weeks already. Currently if you dont join at the start of a round then you wont consider starting until the new round begins, now if this is a period of 3 months say then most people wont bother or even remember to come back to PA. So your user base will nearly always fall as the number of leavers outweigh the new players.

People need to be encouraged to join up anytime safe in the knowledge they can compete in the game on any level.

I have some ideas that I think could work to make PA more flowing for new and old planets. Its just a shame I never was inclined to join the PA team.

Anyway, thats my tuppence worth.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 12:42   #4
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

How about using Sprint prizes as they use in bike races?

There are several rewards to be dealt out at certain ticks. For example a free credit to the best landing at lets say tick 300 for example.

Stuff like that might make the game abit mroe funny and people taking a few more risks etc.
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 13:25   #5
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

2-3 weeks shorter rounds wouldnt hurt
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 13:51   #6
Shoshuro

Shoshuro is just really niceShoshuro is just really niceShoshuro is just really niceShoshuro is just really niceShoshuro is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I dont know if its the general shitness of the round or if its a constant worry for PA, but is the long rounds making the game lose players?
Boring politics will only kill a round.
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 14:46   #7
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

shortened rds might be a good idea , but then res/con times would probably have to be shortened as well

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2006, 16:02   #8
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Yes oubviously
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 07:31   #9
genosse27
Hamburger

genosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the rough

jolt will like this idea, hehe.

i am against the 30min ticks btw
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 07:36   #10
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by genosse27
jolt will like this idea, hehe.

i am against the 30min ticks btw

I wouldnt mind the 30 min ticks, however i think having travel times around the 16 tick mark would be good instead .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 12:29   #11
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

30 min ticks with increased travel times sounds like a good idea, but I assume it would increase the prevalence of waved attacks.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 12:33   #12
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The traveltimes would need a lot of thought in my opinion, if you were to double them. If you do it wrong, the fi/co attacks could get pretty hard to get covered. If that was to happen, I would also like to see a more pro-defensive game, considering that dcs would only have half the time to get their job done.

We do it okay in pia, but we have 3 tick battles with multitargetting there, so there's a wide difference.

Unread 30 Nov 2006, 13:45   #13
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future

i'd support quicker rounds but not 30m shortened ticks because it's hard enough at 1hr ticks to maintain my social life, my woman and work (which decided to block planetarion 2 weeks ago! ). If you were to consider doubling all the travel times all that would mean is more resources (because 1tick = income) and a lot of Confused players? Right? Plus eta14 for CR/BS rush looks fun, and eta28 might make me cry.

But getting back on-post... I think that if rounds were shortened to about 6-8 weeks we (as players) wouldn't get burnt out, the politics wouldn't have time to stagnante and (i think) most players would be generally happier (as PA wouldn't take up as much of their life). And if you're having a bad round after 2 weeks.... who cares? You're already 1/3 to 1/4 the way to the end :-)

Quick thought though: shouldn't this thread be in suggestions though?

-tux

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 13:56   #14
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

30 minute ticks will be death for the less active players.
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 14:14   #15
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Thanks for all the input everyone. Just wanted to see if there was a player intrest in shorter rounds. I think that PA could do with shorter rounds due to players being worn out by the long rounds it have now, maybe have longer rounds in the summer when people have more time.

There isnt a "yes" to 30 minutes ticks, but there seems to be an intrest in lowering roundtimes.

We then move on to the next question. How long should a round be? I say 6 maybe 8 weeks should suffice. Last round started 6th september and lasts to 8th december, that is 10 weeks.

To make this easier, research, constructiontimes and build times needs to be lowered, anyone got good suggestions on that? I think we can calculate the lowered research times by looking at the standards for the current round. Basically the research, constrution should be reduced by 20% if eight weeks and 40% if six weeks. What do you guys think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Blue Moon-

Quick thought though: shouldn't this thread be in suggestions though?
First we gotta make the suggestion.
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 18:42   #16
isildurx

7 weeks
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 18:44   #17
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
30 minute ticks will be death for the less active players.
It also makes a round longer again.
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 19:45   #18
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

There is one real issue with shorter rounds, it makes it much harder for the mythical new player to integrate into the game, especially if they join mid round. I think if we are tom have *signifciantly* shorter rounds then a passport esque system is a prerequisite for that.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 20:09   #19
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
There is one real issue with shorter rounds, it makes it much harder for the mythical new player to integrate into the game, especially if they join mid round. I think if we are tom have *signifciantly* shorter rounds then a passport esque system is a prerequisite for that.
First of all, if a new player joins mid round, and likes the game, he will stick around etc. I think the lenght of the round also decides of old PA players want to get back into the game. Most of the ones i talk to say: "No, to time consuming" or "The game lasts so damn long"

I grant im more a realist than an dreamer and in this case I think eventually a shorter round will be better for the game, especially the core players that we seem to lose more and more of every round. Shorter rounds means that PA will have a less and more intense inpact on your life, and if you sit one out, you know that in a short time you will be able to play another round.

2 weeks less isnt that much and I think that alot of players have gone into post round reactions allready.
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 21:31   #20
Aragno
xVx techie

Aragno will become famous soon enoughAragno will become famous soon enough

if you reduce game length by 20-40% are you thinking of reducing the cost of a round with the same?

I know some players never upgrade their planets unless they get someone else to pay for them

[xVx]
Aragno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 10:57   #21
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I would fundamentaly disagree with this Kal -- if a new player tried PA and started mid-round at the current round length of 10+ weeks they are at an instant disadvantage because 1) everyone else is bigger and 2) they have no idea what they're doing and 3) galaxies aren't too fond to help a noob, especially if they're aiming for ranks.

So all the new player can expect is a semi-decent round of multiple incommings in a likely 'poor' galaxy.

If the rounds were shorter this mythical new player would not have to mess around not knowing what they were doing at an obvious disadvantage for 5+ weeks, and probably get bored of getting bashed in the process -- but rather they'll have just 3/4 weeks till the round is over and a reset is announced.

I would also go as far as to say that a round length being almost 3 months long is a deterrant for new players, as they don't have the time effort or energy to invest such a large amount of their time (and life) to something which they know very little about (unless a previous gamer from a similar online tick based game). If a round lasted a month, or a month and a bit I'd imagine you would get a lot of new players joining because it's only 6-8weeks - and if they don't like it, never mind.

With more 'start' dates for rounds I'm sure you'd find that even retired players could return (those who retired or became very inactive through time restraints like myself) for certain rounds, as they may not be able to do a Sept-Dec round, but they could have handled a Nov-Dec round (because of school starfting in Sept etc).

Just some ideas -- but i think shorter rounds would 1) make players happier 2) stop politics stagnating 3) attract some new players 4) avoid boredom/burnouts 5) be helpful for the mythical midround newbie

- tux

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 13:13   #22
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

shorter rounds or not does not make a difference to me but i feel the rounds now dont make the game lose players.

the 30min ticks however i completely disagree with. Firstly, new players, how do the community expect to gain new players if the ticks were made 30mins meaning without a chance to experience the game they have been hit with a tick in 3 and a half hours can lose their whole fleet.
Also now 6 hours sleep is enough so you can wake and prelaunch fleets away, if it was 30min ticks, then the playabase would need 3 hours sleep stretches witch will exhaust people a hellova lot, reducing playerbase further.

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 13:47   #23
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

It would be just about possible to fit 5 7 week rounds in a year. The gap from last tick to first tick would need to drop to as little as 3 weeks in some cases though. That effectivly means as soon as havoc ends signups would need to open. From a development point of view we can cope with that and we can use other servers for speedgames and things, but how would you, the players, feel about breaks that short?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 3 Dec 2006, 14:25   #24
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
It would be just about possible to fit 5 7 week rounds in a year. The gap from last tick to first tick would need to drop to as little as 3 weeks in some cases though. That effectivly means as soon as havoc ends signups would need to open. From a development point of view we can cope with that and we can use other servers for speedgames and things, but how would you, the players, feel about breaks that short?
well if every second round is free its doable otherwise its just silly to shorten the rounds
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 14:25   #25
isildurx

I dont see why that should be a problem.

People dont HAVE to play havoc, and i think being able to skip a round only to return 6 weeks later for a new round would be healthy. Because certainly some periods just dont suit certain people.
Unread 3 Dec 2006, 15:07   #26
Heartless

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Actually I think havoc is overrated anyway - if people want to have fun they should have it during the rounds anyway.
Unread 5 Dec 2006, 09:04   #27
Apophis

Apophis is an unknown quantity at this point

How about making the round 50 days (1200 ticks/ 6weeksish)
This way active ppl will have had most/all of they res/cons done and the players can enjoy a faster but still full round.
Res/Cons time can be reduced by 5%-10% if needed, but as most of u know for 50 days this u dont really need.
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2006, 16:33   #28
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis
How about making the round 50 days (1200 ticks/ 6weeksish)
This way active ppl will have had most/all of they res/cons done and the players can enjoy a faster but still full round.
Res/Cons time can be reduced by 5%-10% if needed, but as most of u know for 50 days this u dont really need.
Actually, I seem to remember Sovereign working out that a player with no race/engineering/construction bonuses needs just over 1700 ticks to complete the tech tree, assuming no delays. Doesn't seem particularly fair to me.
Unread 5 Dec 2006, 16:40   #29
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

the reduce in res/con time needs to be dropped by as much as the reduce in gametime imho.
Unread 5 Dec 2006, 16:56   #30
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I disagree. I think if a new player joins in the middle of a shorter round, it wont be as long before the reset, so this new player can start competing on a level playing field in a matter of weeks as opposed to a matter of months.

And again, I don't see any relevancy between a passport system as described and integration into the game.
Unread 5 Dec 2006, 17:31   #31
Heartless

Wait, wait. We should not be critical to a passport system, obviously that is the cure for all of PA's diseases in the eyes of some PA team people.

However, instead of just "flaming" it, I am curious as to why a passport system would be required to run shorter rounds though. Care to explain?
Unread 6 Dec 2006, 10:20   #32
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrow|Pony
I disagree. I think if a new player joins in the middle of a shorter round, it wont be as long before the reset, so this new player can start competing on a level playing field in a matter of weeks as opposed to a matter of months.

And again, I don't see any relevancy between a passport system as described and integration into the game.
That's exactly what I said about new players entering on an even playing field (~more 'often').

I actually agree completely with both points from Barrow and Heartless -- what exactly is the relevance (or use) of having the passport system in place, and how would it help support shorter rounds? I don't know if anyone has answered this?

I think Kargool has hit the nail on the head though, people DO want shorter rounds... (hey i wonder if there could be a dedicated stats team/xp formulae team introduced, i'd put my name down for that!)

-tux

Unread 6 Dec 2006, 10:43   #33
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

I did enjoy the current round, the lenght was also okay
Not too long, not too short

Some people did get tired just before the end, then a war for top positions broke out
and the once who had the spirit to win got their chance to shine for 2 weeks
It's perfect

With shorter rounds things will proberbly get less competative
and people will be more like 'ow better luck next time'
I don't think that would be good for the game either, it's not like officers like DC'ing at night for members who 'come back next round'

Some people act like changing the rounds lenght suddenly changes PA into a winning recipe
Who cares if a new players only has the patience to play the game for three weeks

Last edited by Alessio; 6 Dec 2006 at 11:13.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 2006, 12:07   #34
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
I did enjoy the current round, the lenght was also okay
Not too long, not too short

Some people did get tired just before the end, then a war for top positions broke out
and the once who had the spirit to win got their chance to shine for 2 weeks
It's perfect
Personally I think this round was too long. A shorter round would actually force that battle for top positions to happen earlier as there is not so much time left for accumulating and owning a lot of roids (or, admittedly, wars will not happen at all, we know todays alliances are mainly shit).

Quote:
I don't think that would be good for the game either, it's not like officers like DC'ing at night for members who 'come back next round'

Some people act like changing the rounds lenght suddenly changes PA into a winning recipe
Who cares if a new players only has the patience to play the game for three weeks
Why do you think things would get less competitive? Less competitive would mean that there would be less to reach out for, which is simply not true. There are still all three #1 rankings (planet, galaxy, alliance) to reach, and actually - as pointed out already - new players would get a chance to compete with the others in a level playing field earlier again, thus it would ultimately lead to more competition.

If officers do not like to DC at night they should not do it. Really. I can only advocate what Rob said in one of those threads on AD: Ascendancy is doing well because nobody is exhausting themselves there. Losings roids is not the end of the world, go and cap them back and grab XP for capping them back. The game works that way nowadays and at least I do like it this way very much. You can compensate mining less roids than someone else with the ability of outsmarting him on attacks - i.e. xp, to a certain degree, rewards your brainpower, not your online activity.

Nobody is claiming that changing the round length would be a winning recipe, I just think it would give people more time to spend on their lifes instead of having to waste 3 months or more an online game. And it would offer me more options on deciding when I want to play and when not.
Unread 6 Dec 2006, 19:36   #35
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll admit that that is a point I hadn't thought of before. But I think the douches who quit upon crashing will do that regardless of the round's length. I'd say any loss of competetive nature would be more than offset by a shorter, more condensed, more...frenzied(?) round.
Unread 6 Dec 2006, 23:15   #36
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Wait, wait. We should not be critical to a passport system, obviously that is the cure for all of PA's diseases in the eyes of some PA team people.

However, instead of just "flaming" it, I am curious as to why a passport system would be required to run shorter rounds though. Care to explain?
maybe cirtical was a poor choice of words, important would have bene better.

Here is an example.

new player 1 signs up.

a short time later the round ends, he may or may not have got into the game and understand it - if he has got into the community he will be fine.

if not he may not udnerstand why the next day he doesn;t have an account. he therefore may quit.

Yes there are lots of mays and mights and what ifs, but the example is at least possible. A passport doens't have to be anythgin hugely glorious, merely a login for life combined with a clearer method to communicate and manage what games you are playing at any given time.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 6 Dec 2006, 23:53   #37
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal

Here is an example.

new player 1 signs up.

a short time later the round ends, he may or may not have got into the game and understand it - if he has got into the community he will be fine.

if not he may not udnerstand why the next day he doesn;t have an account. he therefore may quit.

Yes there are lots of mays and mights and what ifs, but the example is at least possible. A passport doens't have to be anythgin hugely glorious, merely a login for life combined with a clearer method to communicate and manage what games you are playing at any given time.
What is wrong with sending out an e-mail to all signed up accounts telling them "the round will end in 14 days..." and the tick it ended: "the round just ended. the new round will open it's signups on dd.mm.yyyy"?
Unread 7 Dec 2006, 00:29   #38
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
What is wrong with sending out an e-mail to all signed up accounts telling them "the round will end in 14 days..." and the tick it ended: "the round just ended. the new round will open it's signups on dd.mm.yyyy"?
Thats a very good idea, and I see no reason why we can't start to do things along thoose lines next year, as I now plan round dates a stupidly long time in advance. However I still maintain that it would be hugely helpful if all people had to do for a new round was choose their race rather than entering full names and addresses etc.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 7 Dec 2006, 01:24   #39
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

What's the difficulty in keeping accounts between rounds? All the game accounts could be kept between each round with the game data (from the round itself) being purged. If a player doesn't login to initiate their roids then their account could be deleted during shuffle.

I fail to see why some grand passport scheme needs to be implemented, the data is already there - just keep it between each round!
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2006, 01:28   #40
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

indeed and you could have the option when logging in 1st time for new rd to change ruler/planet name and race

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2006, 11:46   #41
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal

Here is an example.

new player 1 signs up.

How does this change between long and short rounds? :s

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2006, 12:09   #42
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
I've talked to a few other hc's in other alliances and they say more or less the same.
HCs are not a representative sample. They tend to get tired a lot earlier than ordinary players, because they work a lot harder.

The solution is probably to reduce the amount of work (of the get-up-at-4am variety) necessary to play the game.

The 'PA lifestyle' is unsustainable, whether it's for 10 weeks, 8 weeks or even 4 weeks.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2006, 17:14   #43
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

The problem is not the process of how PA functions - but the content of those functions.

Example: The problem is not streamlining the signup process, but providing a more attractive game to interest and retain new players. This is a question of priorities: shorter rounds, I think, would generally play well with the current member base and perhaps with new members, so instead of fiddling about with signup procedures, lets CHANGE THE GAME.
Unread 7 Dec 2006, 19:25   #44
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Knock the round time down to 5 or 6 weeks max, and shave 10-20% off research times. Cons stay the same as a perk for actives.

More action in the round and [insert alliance here that is ignored until last two weeks] wont be left to win the round again in a shorter round.

To support the argument for shorter rounds, as some have mentioned those at the top in week5 are in the top in the final week usually. Be nice if we had comparative data to support this - it would indicate that the extra weeks are pointless.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2006, 20:42   #45
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Shortening the length of each round feels like a cheap solution which doesn't address the real problem - the fact that the game isn't interesting enough to last an entire round.

Is there any way of making the game a bit more involving later on in the round? Maybe something could be introduced late in the round which makes things a little bit less predictable.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2006, 21:42   #46
Sardaukar100

Sardaukar100 can only hope to improve

If they shorten the rounds, the should reduce the cost and research times as well and the amount paid for a full account.

Anyways about how many paid players play PA now?
Sardaukar100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 14:30   #47
GrandAdm Thrawn

GrandAdm Thrawn is a jewel in the roughGrandAdm Thrawn is a jewel in the roughGrandAdm Thrawn is a jewel in the roughGrandAdm Thrawn is a jewel in the rough

shorter rounds would be much appreciated by me. Finally people need some sleep back. - alternating make 2 hours ticks during the nighthours (nighthours according to GMT).
GrandAdm Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 14:46   #48
qebab
The Original Carebear

Quote:
We then move on to the next question. How long should a round be? I say 6 maybe 8 weeks should suffice. Last round started 6th september and lasts to 8th december, that is 10 weeks.
You mean 6th of October, I guess. Which makes it 8 weeks, not 10. And it was still too long.

Unread 9 Dec 2006, 14:50   #49
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAdm Thrawn
make 2 hours ticks during the nighthours (nighthours according to GMT).
Just because the game is currently "european" doesn't mean we should enforce that.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 15:24   #50
Kal
Inactive peon

Last round was 9 weeks.

I've bene looking at next rounds scheduling and I'm struggling to find a senisble way to fit rounds in... 4 8 week rounds leaves too big a gap between rounds, and 5 7 week rounds leaves too short a gap between rounds.

One posisbility might be to try to put shorter rounds near to normal exam periods and then have longer rounds in the gaps between exams etc. but again scheduling gets complex.

ANother issue is development time, the more rounds we put in a year the harder proper development and testing gets. Would people be happy to move to a system where its onyl every other round that major changes occur?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???