User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 5 Nov 2006, 01:10   #51
KweKweK
Registered Alcoholic

KweKweK is a jewel in the roughKweKweK is a jewel in the roughKweKweK is a jewel in the rough
Re: What have alliances turned into...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipZ^
eXilition isnt just my alliance, its my PA family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoom
So true, and imo one of the best advantages of eXilition over any other alliance. The members will do anything for eachother.

eXilition
KweKweK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 01:27   #52
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Seems like eXilition has massed alot of talent in their ranks. Besides looking out for each other how do they keep things organized?
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 01:32   #53
KweKweK
Registered Alcoholic

KweKweK is a jewel in the roughKweKweK is a jewel in the roughKweKweK is a jewel in the rough

Dedicated command and members that played together a good amount of rounds and some new members. Going that extra mile to help out your alliance mates. And having fun in the meanwhile. My experience anyways

eXilition
KweKweK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 02:07   #54
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrow|Pony
I dedicate ND's political maneuvering to MobRulz.
Seconded.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 02:26   #55
Cartman
eXilition seXyness

Cartman has a spectacular aura aboutCartman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
eXilition isnt just my allaince, its my PA family.
[Spore] ~ High Council
[Norsemen] ~ Chief
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 02:32   #56
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Guys, can we hold the exi appreciation thread until they win thanks?
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 07:09   #57
rshih
Aaranaf's Master

rshih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nicershih is just really nice

exi and former exi are wankers to be in gal with, they suck
R3: nub R10: 12:9:1 to 9:7:3 G Rank #14 P Rank #194
R4: 275:6:13 R10.5: 17:9:9 quitter
R5: 4:8:4 to 35:11:x R11: 15:4:9 G Rank #10 P Rank #32
R6: 22:22:11 R12: 29:8:9
R7: 8:16:9 G Rank #52 R13: Forgot
R9: 52:6:5 for a week R14: Forgot
R9.5: 12:7:17 G Rank #17 R17: 14:3:6 G Rank #6 P Rank #9

[1up] Peon
rshih is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 07:47   #58
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshih
exi and former exi are wankers to be in gal with, they suck
I was in a gal with some exi members last round, and they tended to only defend each other, and rarely deffed in gal to the non-exi members, and mysteriously were always offline when they didn't have incoming and others did...
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 08:27   #59
LEFF|pm
Lord of the Boards

LEFF|pm is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: What have alliances turned into...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
Seems like eXilition has massed alot of talent in their ranks. Besides looking out for each other how do they keep things organized?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesterina
Jester ( mailto:jestersemailaddress ) has reported this post:

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...15#post3071915

This is part of this thread:
What have alliances turned into...
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=192944

This is the reason that the user gave:
Mod gripes!

This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all administrators if there are no moderators.

Please respond to this post as applicable.
(unbased cheat accusations)

Last edited by lokken; 5 Nov 2006 at 11:21.
LEFF|pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 09:09   #60
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

People brag about exil having the best members, but sadly they are really just the only bunch that still care for the game. You have tons of people that are not in exi that can play just as hard, but after 18- 19 rounds, they just don't give a ****.

edit: by care I mean actually lose a lot of sleep etc. A lot of others care, but they pretty much just go through the motions. Which I feel is due to the repeatative game mechanics.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 09:33   #61
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of people around in different alliances who easily COULD run a top alliance pretty well, the proplem is that they cant be assed anymore due to all the work they have to put in.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 11:10   #62
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
edit: by care I mean Freedom, Dedication and No Real Life
EXilition are overrated, something we can thank Synthetic_Sid for. If Sid had made the concessions necessary to beat EXilition just once, they wouldn't have the aweinspiring reputation they do. They would've been a 'competitor' alliance and not 'the alliance that beat the unbeatable alliance'.

That aside, I've played with a bunch of the 1up people and a bunch of the EX people, and they have a lot in common. They're elitist, with a touch of arrogance (the good kind), while still giving eachother enough shit to be down to earth.

Just like any alliance, both 1up and EXilition were defeatable, but for many alliances that isn't good enough. Beating the big bads isn't enough for a lot of alliances anymore. They want to win while doing it. Otherwise it's not worth playing for. Not just because it's a lot of effort without a tangible payout, but because you'll lose members over it.

The war necessary to take down an alliance like 1up or EXilition sandblasts the winning alliances, stripping away the dead weight and displaying which are truly strong. It takes a lot of self confidence to get into a fight like that if you also want to win. 1up did it, HC and members alike, without hesitation. EXilition are the same. At its heart, Planetarion is a war game, but it's not a war game that rewards war. It's a war game that's punishing, unforgiving and harsh.

Some people thrive on that. They join the fearless alliances. Others would rather just do well, they join alliances they think will protect them. And when your alliance is full of people who think the alliance will protect them, it is bound to be difficult to put your face to the grinder, because what is an alliance if not its members?

As has been pointed out, there are many factors in the decline of alliances and pointing to one alone is synecdoche. My favorite reason is that the game does its best to get rid of command staff. MOing is probably the most thankless task in PA.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 11:25   #63
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsGrowl
Unfortunatly for you this is true, 3 ppl in 3 different alliances checked intel and it all came out as F-Crew, it was just by luck that someone in gal jpgd everyone a few hours before we got attacked, he sent pa mail saying a load of pre launched fleets from F-crew have been launched at us, i went on irc and 3 people checked there arby and all coords were F-crew, sorry mate, but it was true.
We didnt launch 13 waves on any planet so kindly stfu with your lies and propaganda. If they had a lot of roids they may have got 3 waves from us, most planets get 1 or 2 waves.

The only time they may get more than 3 fleets from us is if they are being fleet caught and tbh they then deserve it as they have attacked us first.

As for prelaunched, yes some of our members use them. We have a varied membership base from different countries and different real life commitnebts. These factors mean that while it would be great to have everyone launching live its not that viable and to expect everyone to be able to get online within the 3 tick window and we would rather have everyobe involved and not just the same handful.

Does that put us at a slight dissadvatage, yes the galxies we attack are largely at the higher end and are active enough to get jpg scans run so they can have an idea whats coming BUT you dont know when they are coming and what else will be launched so its not as much of a problem as seems. And its actually pretty funny how those who come and 'laugh' at our prelaunches often find themselves well in the top10 roided galaxies with our roid gains being really good for a tactic that people think is so weak. No matter how the attack happens you have to have the ships available to you to defend when it launched so it doesnt matter if they know its coming or not
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 11:26   #64
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think it's down to 4 things, jesterina.

- bad hc/command structures
- lack of solid play and any sense of basic planning/responsibility for the fleets and your galaxy/planet
- lack of confidence to take people on
- lack of reputation (in the sense of being feared, although if you can fix the first 3, #4 isn't that hard to fix)

The frustration, is that the first 3 are pretty simple problems to fix.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 11:34   #65
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey

As for prelaunched, yes some of our members use them. We have a varied membership base from different countries and different real life commitnebts. These factors mean that while it would be great to have everyone launching live its not that viable and to expect everyone to be able to get online within the 3 tick window and we would rather have everyobe involved and not just the same handful.
I loved prelaunches when I played. I could easily get def, do a calc, and organise a retal all the while before the fleet actually had launched. But F-Crew isnt the only one using prelaunches ofc. But prelaunches does ruin the activity at night and thats one of the things I loved about the game. Sitting up, chatting with people while waiting for my launchtick etc. I understand why the prelaunch got invented but I cant say I approve with it.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 11:35   #66
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken

- lack of solid play and any sense of basic planning/responsibility for the fleets and your galaxy/planet
- lack of reputation (in the sense of being feared, although if you can fix the first 3, #4 isn't that hard to fix)

I also think that the rotation of officers or the actual lack of rotation causes officers to burn out and not want to do it anymore.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 11:35   #67
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah, kinda like some players earlier this round posting in the Predictions thread[1,2] for this round that Ascendency would come in from nowhere for the win! It's all about reputation! @_@
[Silver] High Council - Military
[WolfPack] High Council - Military
[Ascendancy] Member
[eXilition] High Council - Defence
7-Round Official Planetarion #Support Team Member
Retired Since Round 21
NitinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 11:52   #68
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I loved prelaunches when I played. I could easily get def, do a calc, and organise a retal all the while before the fleet actually had launched. But F-Crew isnt the only one using prelaunches ofc. But prelaunches does ruin the activity at night and thats one of the things I loved about the game. Sitting up, chatting with people while waiting for my launchtick etc. I understand why the prelaunch got invented but I cant say I approve with it.
Yeah but its one of the worst secrets in the game that while you were HC you got priority for your alliances defence. I'm sure we have all come across disgruntedled TGV members who have bitched about the fact that while they had actual incoming that needed to be dealt with you have an excessive amount of ships booked for your defence (and at times ships booked for retal) on an attack that hadnt even launched and might not even launch. I may be wrong but most other alliances don't let their HC comadere ships for an incoming that hasnt yet appeared when others require the ships especially when you really cant guarentee that when it does launch that that person will actually be online to send (even the most active person can have rl issues which draws them away)
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 12:00   #69
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Yeah but its one of the worst secrets in the game that while you were HC you got priority for your alliances defence. I'm sure we have all come across disgruntedled TGV members who have bitched about the fact that while they had actual incoming that needed to be dealt with you have an excessive amount of ships booked for your defence (and at times ships booked for retal) on an attack that hadnt even launched and might not even launch. I may be wrong but most other alliances don't let their HC comadere ships for an incoming that hasnt yet appeared when others require the ships especially when you really cant guarentee that when it does launch that that person will actually be online to send (even the most active person can have rl issues which draws them away)
Oh dear, and here you claim that others should hold proof to their claims and you get right into the slander yourself. I suggest you hear your own advice and put up some actual proof for theese accusations.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 12:04   #70
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think #4 is a complete foil. What reputation did EXilition have before winning round 13? What reputation did Ascendancy have before winning round 16? People worry about reputation, but see some of the points I make later about implicit agreements and tacit knowledge.

I think you're wrong about #1. I think the problem is bad HC, not bad command structures. Most people smart enough to be good HC are also smart enough to see that they're better off avoiding it. Being a good HC is hard. You have to juggle the interests of all your members with your own.

Not a lot of alliances do this, but for me it's important that members know explicitely what they're getting themselves into when they're joining an alliance. With most alliances this is tacit knowledge. Based on their reputation and the people you know in the alliance, you make assumptions. The problem with this is that if HC want to change the direction of the alliance, they have to fight against so many ingrained assumptions about the alliance.

With EXilition, this works in their favor. Everyone who joins EXilition assumse there's going to be a hellish fight. After round 11 and round 12, 1up didn't have that advantage. They had a lot of people joining them assuming a ride to the top.

If ND or Angels (as examples) wanted to change their direction, they'd need to make it clear to their members that this is what they are doing, and the demands as such have changed. But if the membership bucks this, there's no point for HC to do anything at all, because the members are the alliance, not the other way around.

A lot of HC get this, but don't act on it. They're too busy recruiting, politicking and whatnot to shape that tacit knowledge of what the alliance is to their advantage.

There are plenty of bad HC around. Sometimes they're necessary, because the good HC in an alliance wouldn't be able to gather enough people on their own.

As to structure, in my opinion, the only three types of command members an alliance needs are Military, Intel and Diplomacy. Anything beyond this is a waste of space. Every HC should be sufficiently competent to handle all three. All HC should be empowered to act in all three areas, and all HC should trust eachother enough to accept what the others have done in all three. If this empowerment and trust exists, then they should also be able to hold honest post-mortem discussions on what was right and was wrong to do. Military and Intel cover scanning, btw, which I think a lot of alliances treat incorrectly.

Going back to good and bad HC (and just as importantly, good and bad members), I think the Planetarion game system does a lot to confuse people. If I was to run a competitive alliance, I'd make it perfectly clear to all players that if they are not playing for the alliance's rank first, they're going to get hung out to dry. A lot of alliances think this is implicit when people join. It's not. It's implicit when you join EXilition, when I join Angels* it's implied that the alliance isn't ever going to win anyway, so I might as well just leech defense and planet NAP with whoever actually threatens my planet.

Planetarion does its best to confuse this matter. On my overview it says my rank, not my alliance's rank. The default ranking on the Universe page is for planets, not alliances. The alliance portion of Planetarion is in many ways still tacked onto a planet/galaxy game. I'm not saying that this will be fixed by replacing planet rank with alliance rank everywhere, but there is a schism, and the game reinforces it.

Part of the reason people don't make the goal of their alliance explicit is that a) it's patronizing towards the sort of member you're trying to attract, b) it's a bit anal retentive, in that sort of way the 10 point Fury NAPs with sub points were and c) no alliances want to attract that sort of attention, because PA alliances hate people who are trying to win.

That last point is very amusing. There is an elephant in the room, and its name is ambition. Any PA alliance that shows ambition and perhaps starts a round well is universally hated, because everyone wants to win, and they are a visible threat to it. Even alliances like 1up and EXilition do their best to downplay their strength.

* Or any alliance that isn't EXilition. I'm just picking on Angels because I enjoy picking on Angels.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 12:16   #71
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I think #4 is a complete foil. What reputation did EXilition have before winning round 13? What reputation did Ascendancy have before winning round 16? People worry about reputation, but see some of the points I make later about implicit agreements and tacit knowledge.
It is at the minute cos everyone is bastard scared of exilition - so it is a problem now.

Quote:
I think you're wrong about #1. I think the problem is bad HC, not bad command structures. Most people smart enough to be good HC are also smart enough to see that they're better off avoiding it. Being a good HC is hard. You have to juggle the interests of all your members with your own.
Hey dude i did say bad hc/command structures and I did mean bad hc as well as command structures. When I say command structures I mean a situation where people don't know where their role ends and to put it bluntly, when there is an issue where they need to shut the **** up because clear limits haven't been put down. As for the best players, they clearly aren't playing to their full potential right now, if at all.

Quote:
Not a lot of alliances do this, but for me it's important that members know explicitely what they're getting themselves into when they're joining an alliance. With most alliances this is tacit knowledge. Based on their reputation and the people you know in the alliance, you make assumptions. The problem with this is that if HC want to change the direction of the alliance, they have to fight against so many ingrained assumptions about the alliance.
Agreed.

Quote:
With EXilition, this works in their favor. Everyone who joins EXilition assumse there's going to be a hellish fight. After round 11 and round 12, 1up didn't have that advantage. They had a lot of people joining them assuming a ride to the top.
Can't disagree, follows on from the above.

Quote:
If ND or Angels (as examples) wanted to change their direction, they'd need to make it clear to their members that this is what they are doing, and the demands as such have changed. But if the membership bucks this, there's no point for HC to do anything at all, because the members are the alliance, not the other way around.

A lot of HC get this, but don't act on it. They're too busy recruiting, politicking and whatnot to shape that tacit knowledge of what the alliance is to their advantage.
Well I'm not sure how hard it is to just sit down and say we need to get people to do x y or z and motivating people to do that, mainly by encouraging their team to play in a certain way because it will be successful and it will be fun.

Quote:
There are plenty of bad HC around. Sometimes they're necessary, because the good HC in an alliance wouldn't be able to gather enough people on their own.
What are you suggesting? Individuals and their groupies are bad? I think so. I think it's far better to have people joining because they want to be part of the organisation rather than because x, y or z is playing there.

Quote:
As to structure, in my opinion, the only three types of command members an alliance needs are Military, Intel and Diplomacy. Anything beyond this is a waste of space. Every HC should be sufficiently competent to handle all three. All HC should be empowered to act in all three areas, and all HC should trust eachother enough to accept what the others have done in all three. If this empowerment and trust exists, then they should also be able to hold honest post-mortem discussions on what was right and was wrong to do. Military and Intel cover scanning, btw, which I think a lot of alliances treat incorrectly.
An excellent demonstration of KISS, and one that I whole heartedly subscribe to.

Quote:
Going back to good and bad HC (and just as importantly, good and bad members), I think the Planetarion game system does a lot to confuse people. If I was to run a competitive alliance, I'd make it perfectly clear to all players that if they are not playing for the alliance's rank first, they're going to get hung out to dry. A lot of alliances think this is implicit when people join. It's not. It's implicit when you join EXilition, when I join Angels* it's implied that the alliance isn't ever going to win anyway, so I might as well just leech defense and planet NAP with whoever actually threatens my planet.
you're preaching to the choir here.

Quote:
Planetarion does its best to confuse this matter. On my overview it says my rank, not my alliance's rank. The default ranking on the Universe page is for planets, not alliances. The alliance portion of Planetarion is in many ways still tacked onto a planet/galaxy game. I'm not saying that this will be fixed by replacing planet rank with alliance rank everywhere, but there is a schism, and the game reinforces it.
I think it's up to alliances to motivate their players to think about their rank, don't you?

Quote:
Part of the reason people don't make the goal of their alliance explicit is that a) it's patronizing towards the sort of member you're trying to attract, b) it's a bit anal retentive, in that sort of way the 10 point Fury NAPs with sub points were and c) no alliances want to attract that sort of attention, because PA alliances hate people who are trying to win.
I don't think any HC should be afraid to state the obvious, no matter how great a player is, if what's being said makes sense in a can in order for everyone to play well (note play well, not win) he's hardly going to be averse to it.

Quote:
That last point is very amusing. There is an elephant in the room, and its name is ambition. Any PA alliance that shows ambition and perhaps starts a round well is universally hated, because everyone wants to win, and they are a visible threat to it. Even alliances like 1up and EXilition do their best to downplay their strength.
My view is don't worry about it, because as 1up and Ex have shown, making posts on AD are easy if you have someone who is concise and coherent. Keep your own house in order first and foremost.

Quote:
* Or any alliance that isn't EXilition. I'm just picking on Angels because I enjoy picking on Angels.
fashion whore

Last edited by lokken; 5 Nov 2006 at 12:54.
lokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 12:31   #72
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Oh dear, and here you claim that others should hold proof to their claims and you get right into the slander yourself. I suggest you hear your own advice and put up some actual proof for theese accusations.
You largely admitted it yourself, you state your able to arrange defence before they launch, that backs up the claims that APA/TGV members that many people have had in their galaxy make.

If you have defence ready for you when you dont know when its launching thats leeching defence from your members, defence which may very well not be there when you need it
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 12:43   #73
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
You largely admitted it yourself, you state your able to arrange defence before they launch, that backs up the claims that APA/TGV members that many people have had in their galaxy make.

If you have defence ready for you when you dont know when its launching thats leeching defence from your members, defence which may very well not be there when you need it
Everyone can arrange defence for people with prelaunched fleets, not only have I done it in the past for myself, i've done it for others, and i've done it for fleetcatches etc etc. My point still stands, if you are able to be up when the incs come your chance of getting defence heightens significally. I should also point out that I rarely dc'ed my own incs, more or less only when I was the only DC online.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 12:47   #74
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

I think the topic starter just needs some sleep*

*and quit after his fleet dies
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 13:16   #75
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Everyone can arrange defence for people with prelaunched fleets, not only have I done it in the past for myself, i've done it for others, and i've done it for fleetcatches etc etc. My point still stands, if you are able to be up when the incs come your chance of getting defence heightens significally. I should also point out that I rarely dc'ed my own incs, more or less only when I was the only DC online.
A prelaunch could be launching in 1 tick or 11 ticks. It can also have no intention whatsoever of launching (Something we sometimes do at F-Crew is to get some of our members when they leave for the night and still have a spare fleet is to set a fake prelaunch on one of our target galaxies, especially if we have a planet that hasnt got any claims or a lack of claims so as to give the targets more to think about). So while you can calculate whats needed and have people aware that you might have incoming at some point how can you actually comedere a fleet from someone.

While that person whos fleet you take may be on now, they may not be in 2, 5,10 ticks time. Even someone who would usually still be around could for a varity of reasons not be online when you need them and if they havent been used elsewhere as they were 'reserved' for you, you have potentially sold someone else out for a futre incoming
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 13:19   #76
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
A prelaunch could be launching in 1 tick or 11 ticks. It can also have no intention whatsoever of launching (Something we sometimes do at F-Crew is to get some of our members when they leave for the night and still have a spare fleet is to set a fake prelaunch on one of our target galaxies, especially if we have a planet that hasnt got any claims or a lack of claims so as to give the targets more to think about). So while you can calculate whats needed and have people aware that you might have incoming at some point how can you actually comedere a fleet from someone.

While that person whos fleet you take may be on now, they may not be in 2, 5,10 ticks time. Even someone who would usually still be around could for a varity of reasons not be online when you need them and if they havent been used elsewhere as they were 'reserved' for you, you have potentially sold someone else out for a futre incoming
Clearly you are the shit. Learn something from people who knows how to DC prelaunched ships before talking anymore.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 13:32   #77
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Clearly you are the shit. Learn something from people who knows how to DC prelaunched ships before talking anymore.
And quite frankly you and anyone who thinks they can DC prelaunched ships in advance are clearly deluded otherwise we wouldnt constantly see our members who prelanch making great gains every day, even when the people being prelaunched on come and bitch and take the piss.

Sorting defence for a prelaunch before it launches is at best a complete and utter guess, a guess at the possible expense of more pressing incoming

And tbh Kargool if your claiming you know anything your having a right laugh, unless of course you think that being someone who will do anything to increase their own sense of self importance
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 13:46   #78
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
And tbh Kargool if your claiming you know anything your having a right laugh, unless of course you think that being someone who will do anything to increase their own sense of self importance
Aaaand I think we arrive at the point here.. Your general bitterness for never amassing into anything in PA cept for a big bag of whiney wind on the PA forums is clear. I've never claimed anything of this what you claim me doing, nor have I ever bothered to care about being popular, and I think you can ask anyone in the PA community about that. Oh, and to get abit back on track, attacking someone who has prelaunched is cool, because you know that the player who has prelaunched more or less have gone to bed. So achiveing roids from this player is quite easy.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 14:20   #79
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

well a planet with a prelaunch on him doesnt like to send def
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 14:42   #80
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
So all we need to do is send a bunch of faked fleets with prelaunch +11 ticks and you'll reserve a load of defence for that magic moment when the hostiles appear on the horizon?

That's utterly ridiculous and a waste of defensive fleets.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 14:44   #81
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Aaaand I think we arrive at the point here.. Your general bitterness for never amassing into anything in PA cept for a big bag of whiney wind on the PA forums is clear. I've never claimed anything of this what you claim me doing, nor have I ever bothered to care about being popular, and I think you can ask anyone in the PA community about that. Oh, and to get abit back on track, attacking someone who has prelaunched is cool, because you know that the player who has prelaunched more or less have gone to bed. So achiveing roids from this player is quite easy.
We arent talking about attacking someone who is prelaunched on you though. You mentioned retaling in addition to defence.

As for 'big bag of whiney wind' thats rich coming from mr "moan about everything and threaten to quit at the slighest thing and when you finally do quit you keep it up"

As for you being an attention seeker. Did you not spend pretty much every round prior to joining APA pimping yourself out to as many alliances as you could. NoS wouldnt give you the rank you wanted so you went around making yourself out to be all knowing in an attempt to get them to offer you a position and when you didnt get what you wanted you went back to NoS. And as soon as one did give you that position you decided to just use them as a stepping stone to get TGV started again. Your after that sense of power and thats all your bothered about

And why would i be bitter towards you, what have you acheived in this game that I havent. nada
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 14:47   #82
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
And why would i be bitter towards you, what have you acheived in this game that I havent. nada
A top 1000 position? Oh, and why I left NoS was for different reasons than that. Yes, I was interested in being an HC, but that wasnt why I left. And my motives for being a HC in APA, well, what can I say, you dont know the players in the case when I got asked to become HC of APA. I said I would give it a go for one round, sadly people didnt like my attempt at shaping the alliance like i wanted, and come one Wakey, be fair, who wouldnt want to shape an alliance the way you would want, You f.example have used 18 rounds to shape Eff-Kruu into what that is. Im sick and tired of you ranting away on the APA case when Kaisto (who was HC have told you what happend), notsure( who also was HC in APA when it happend) etc etc etc.

Oh, and I have achived something you havent you ignorant ****, I've found the love of my life in PA and am going to be married 31st march with my fellow Planetarionplayer notsure.

Last edited by Kargool; 5 Nov 2006 at 14:55.
Kargool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 14:49   #83
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Stop making it personal fellas - I'm still curious about this elite defending-against-pre-launched-fleets tactic Kargool seems to be an expert at!
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 14:52   #84
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
A top 1000 position?
I don't think I've ever finished outside the top1000 (lowerst I recall would have been r12 I think where i was fairly inactive by my normal standards due to RL issues.

So try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Stop making it personal fellas - I'm still curious about this elite defending-against-pre-launched-fleets tactic Kargool seems to be an expert at!
It only exists in alliances he's HC of and only happens for a few people like himself who get a priority. If your willing to sacrifice others to keep a couple safe its possible. Otherwise its impossible else you wouldnt have the ships to deal with actual incoming
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 15:20   #85
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Its nothing special really, just that someone is willing to stay up extra or get up to launch defence on attacks they know will come. This might be impossible for Wakey to understand but its more the fact that TGV had members that were willing to do this instead of sitting around defending others that never didnt bother to def. I cant nor wont I show TGV statistics but its a matter of fact that some tends to defend alot more than others, I was one of theese, an habit i've had all my time as a PA player. And that Wakey sees things like this as a bad thing only proves how little he actually knows about other communities than his own F-Crew, and no, it wasnt just me that got "prioritised" in this, it was others that was high on the prioritylist, sometimes it was members that recently had lost alot of roids and we felt bad about them losing roids, sometimes it was high priority planets who was high ranked and had done alot for the ally as a whole. I also like to stress something that most people who ever have been in the TGV defchannel is how reluctant I am about dcing my own incs. Last round when I finished top 100, I actually more often didnt bother reporting my own incs just letting people roid me and focus on attacks.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 15:24   #86
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

this is one of the best internet battles i've ever witnessed
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 15:29   #87
Tomkat

Quote:
Oh, and I have achived something you havent you ignorant ****, I've found the love of my life in PA and am going to be married 31st march with my fellow Planetarionplayer notsure.
You should have a planetarion-themed wedding!

I'll dress up as a Zikonian and steal all your food before running off eta 7!
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 15:40   #88
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
A top 1000 position? Oh, and why I left NoS was for different reasons than that. Yes, I was interested in being an HC, but that wasnt why I left.
Funny thing is that you'd been HC if you stayed another few weeks
Quote:
Are you sure notsure is sure? Surely it'd be bad if notsure ran away from the alter!
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 15:41   #89
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:

Lol, thank god im not paying for the food then. But im holding the bar.
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 15:51   #90
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
Funny thing is that you'd been HC if you stayed another few weeks

Are you sure notsure is sure? Surely it'd be bad if notsure ran away from the alter!
Well, she refused to let me wear a Luton Town shirt at the wedding and she rejected the idea about a Star Trek parade uniform too And she claimed that she would run at the altar if I was wearing it
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 18:02   #91
Tomkat

God what a bitch why are you marrying her when she's putting down such unreasonable demands?!

Next she'll be telling you you aren't allowed to take your notepad and cheese sandwiches to the train station or if she does then I bet she'll confiscate your notepad with all the train times on it! GOD! WHAT A BITCH!
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 18:07   #92
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Well, she refused to let me wear a Luton Town shirt at the wedding and she rejected the idea about a Star Trek parade uniform too And she claimed that she would run at the altar if I was wearing it
suggest a betazed ceremony instead? :P
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 20:27   #93
notsure
[TGV] Wots It

notsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Please don't give him any more ideas -- the ones he comes up with on his own are bad enough.

Besides, I'll be sure we have the food defended
Unread 5 Nov 2006, 23:56   #94
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Quote:
I cannot confirm this is true. ***cough***played in r15 in TGV**** cough, hardly got defence****cough***while Kargool claimed over 50% coverage on def for the alliance****cough***while my def coverage was more like 25%****cough.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 00:11   #95
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
I was in a gal with some exi members last round, and they tended to only defend each other, and rarely deffed in gal to the non-exi members, and mysteriously were always offline when they didn't have incoming and others did...
I don't remember a time we didn't have incoming
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 00:30   #96
hook
I'm who you want me to be

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
So all we need to do is send a bunch of faked fleets with prelaunch +11 ticks and you'll reserve a load of defence for that magic moment when the hostiles appear on the horizon?

That's utterly ridiculous and a waste of defensive fleets.
In god knows what round we actually did this with hirr on a planet that was being JGP'd a lot by his alliance. In different groups we'd set prelaunch +11 and when it was +1 new fleets would be prelaunched +11 by a new group. We kept doing that for about three days I think. His alliance got bored of us then and all us prelaunchers got incomings .
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 00:58   #97
ChipZ^
Registered AbUser

ChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its nothing special really, just that someone is willing to stay up extra or get up to launch defence on attacks they know will come. This might be impossible for Wakey to understand but its more the fact that TGV had members that were willing to do this instead of sitting around defending others that never didnt bother to def. I cant nor wont I show TGV statistics but its a matter of fact that some tends to defend alot more than others, I was one of theese, an habit i've had all my time as a PA player. And that Wakey sees things like this as a bad thing only proves how little he actually knows about other communities than his own F-Crew, and no, it wasnt just me that got "prioritised" in this, it was others that was high on the prioritylist, sometimes it was members that recently had lost alot of roids and we felt bad about them losing roids, sometimes it was high priority planets who was high ranked and had done alot for the ally as a whole. I also like to stress something that most people who ever have been in the TGV defchannel is how reluctant I am about dcing my own incs. Last round when I finished top 100, I actually more often didnt bother reporting my own incs just letting people roid me and focus on attacks.
In normal alliances (well im using eX as an example) knowing you have prelaunched incs on ur planet gives u absolutly no advantage, other than knowing your going to get attacked.

No defence is organised until the ships show up.

Defence is a first come first served basis, no defence is reserved. Any allaince that uses your policy of reserving fleets needs to check that their command staff arnt retarded.

P.S Was this "reserving of fleets" done in omen when u were HC??
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 01:41   #98
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
In normal alliances (well im using eX as an example) knowing you have prelaunched incs on ur planet gives u absolutly no advantage, other than knowing your going to get attacked.

No defence is organised until the ships show up.

Defence is a first come first served basis, no defence is reserved. Any allaince that uses your policy of reserving fleets needs to check that their command staff arnt retarded.

P.S Was this "reserving of fleets" done in omen when u were HC??
Cant really say, i wasnt dc'ing much last round. Id like to point out that out of the top 10 defenders in Omen last round were 8 players from TGV.

For us this system works and have worked for a long time. Maybe now as the "cat is out of the bag" alliances will be abit more aware of it, but its a given fact, when the waves starts to pour in, you can actually send eta 9 defence the tick before on eta 8 incs just because the probability of the eta 8 fleets to show the tick after is so high. With added intel on when alliances launches their attacks (and thats not hard to provide either) this also gives defenders advantages.
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 01:57   #99
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Cant really say, i wasnt dc'ing much last round. Id like to point out that out of the top 10 defenders in Omen last round were 8 players from TGV.

For us this system works and have worked for a long time. Maybe now as the "cat is out of the bag" alliances will be abit more aware of it, but its a given fact, when the waves starts to pour in, you can actually send eta 9 defence the tick before on eta 8 incs just because the probability of the eta 8 fleets to show the tick after is so high. With added intel on when alliances launches their attacks (and thats not hard to provide either) this also gives defenders advantages.
too bad you guys sucked that much in omen, pre-def are soo pia
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 02:03   #100
ChipZ^
Registered AbUser

ChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond reputeChipZ^ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

And yet if u got it wrong and it wansnt the correct fleet laucnhed that tick, or no fleet atall uve wasted a def fleet...grats.

Doing it in the middle of the day is nps...doing it at night is remedial DCing.