User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 29 Jun 2006, 23:41   #1
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Preparing for a Marathon

So I want to run a Marathon in December.

I haven't run seriously, in a long time ( a couple of years ) but I really want to get back into it. When I was in the Marines I ran all the time (3 times a week at least, a few miles at top speeds), and while I was going to college as an undergrad I ran and participated in a biathlon (swimming and running). Since then however I have slowed down and I have gained weight.

I'm thinking about starting to train now, I like what I read here for novice training. It says I should have been running at least a year before the Marathon, but I hope I can get away with 6 months or maybe if I can't get to where I want to, then at least run a half marathon this year, and a full marathon a year later. (My life goal is to run the entire 25 miles without walking).

This first marathon I plan to walk one minute for every ten minutes running.

Anybody here have run one or have some running experience?
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 00:09   #2
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road
Re: Preparing for a Marathon

I haven't run one yet but I plan to do one in the near future. At the moment I run 1.5 miles in the morning and 1.5 miles in the evening on most days. But obviously when I start to train for one I will increase that to 5miles or so.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 00:10   #3
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm trying to run 3 times a week. Started doing so in April/May last year and went on until December. Then had a winter-break as it really hurt in my ventilation-system when I ran around in the cold I only started again now (after I had done all my exams). So I hope I'll get better at it soon. My problem when running, is that I tend to start too hard, so I'm pretty messed up half-way.

I usually run like 5km (what's that, 10miles?) 3 times a week. When above halfway, I tend to get this crap pain in my body/lounges/breast. What's that? Is it normal?

Good luck with your marathon though, I don't think I wanna start on that quite yet. I attented to a mountain run last fall though and God damn it was hard. The route wasn't more than ~1km long, but from the starting point to the top, there's a 3-400 metre difference in hight I ran it on 15:30 (only 2 minutes behind a pro football player in Norway!) It's fun with those competitions.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 00:15   #4
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah weather is an issue here. It's about 100-110 degrees Farenheit daily during the summer, and frosty during the winter. I'll probably try to run in the evenings or early mornings.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 00:16   #5
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

eh, you do realize that with every minute of walking starting to run against becomes tougher? a better way to train is to run a bit under the tempo you want to run and do intervals where you run a little faster then you want to and then rejuvinate during the 'slow-run' pace .. but for crying out loud, keep running.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 00:16   #6
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

I started running a few month ago in an attempt to increase my general fitness while still smoking about one pack a day, but its only 5-7km 4-5 times a week (both depending on my mood).
I never even thought of a marathon, so I cant say anything about that (other than running long distances for no good reason is kind of fun and it somehow makes you feel a lot better afterwards, so you should give it a try)
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 00:19   #7
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
I started running a few month ago in an attempt to increase my general fitness while still smoking about one pack a day, but its only 5-7km 4-5 times a week (both depending on my mood).
I wouldn't really say 'only' about that, especially when you're smoking aswell
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 00:23   #8
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

5km is about 3.5 miles I think. My best time for 1.5 miles (2.2km) is about 11mins.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 00:23   #9
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
I wouldn't really say 'only' about that, especially when you're smoking aswell
well, compared to 42 km it is :/
oh, and you should watch saint ralph, I dont think it helps much, but its a great movie and mentioning marathons reminded me of it.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 01:17   #10
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Strider
5km is about 3.5 miles I think. My best time for 1.5 miles (2.2km) is about 11mins.
Really? I thought 5km was 10miles (bit less) considering s|k said the marathon was 25 miles (and a marathon is 42km (or sometimes 50km)).
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 01:19   #11
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Really? I thought 5km was 10miles (bit less) considering s|k said the marathon was 25 miles (and a marathon is 42km (or sometimes 50km)).
what.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 01:28   #12
s|k
Caveat Lector

WIthout using a calculator, a mile is roughly equal to about 1.5 km.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 01:31   #13
Kael
The Evil Hamster

Kael will become famous soon enoughKael will become famous soon enough

Roughly a mile is 1,619 km

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain" - It's time to toss the dice.

#Spacehamsters
Kael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 01:40   #14
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
what.
What what?

Edit: Nevermind, I just reverted my brain, so I get it now.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 01:45   #15
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
What what?

Edit: Nevermind, I just reverted my brain, so I get it now.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 06:12   #16
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

My coworker ran a marathon some while ago, I think he started training about 6 months before. His trainingschedule started with 6 kilometre runs about 3/4 times a week, slowly increasing towards the 38. At some periods there where heavy interval based runs thrown in as well. He had his schedule from some internetsite and apearantly it worked out as he finished it within the time given.

I'll try to find the schedule later today and post it, he's having a long weekend off.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 06:29   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's one of my life goals to complete a marathon at some point. I'm laughably off track at the moment for that one.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 09:26   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My uncle runs marathons which is fairly cool as he just travels around the world running in different ones. He was in training for a long time, a year to eighteen months, before he started actually running them though. That said he would have been working upwards from a "zero fitness" point so it depends where you're starting off from. I did a bit of middle-distance running back in the day but never any long-distance. To be honest I just haven't got the patience.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 09:43   #19
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Runner's World do several good training guides for marathons that will get you up to race fitness in 13 weeks. I kind of followed one of there training schedules for my first half marathon but adapted it to my own thing half way through.

As Theam said, dont plan on stopping at regular intervals, it will make it a lot lot harder. It is much better to run at a slower but constant pace. If you arent too worried about time then that shouldnt be too much of a problem seeing as you have 6 months to train.

If you can fit in a half-marathon and maybe a few 10ks in to the middle of your training it would help give you a better idea of how you're training is going.

Get some proper trainers, dont just go to any local sports shop and get some cheap Nike ones. If you can find a specialist running shop they'll look at your feet and give you some proper trainers that will best suit your running style.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 11:01   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

horn spends all his time running away from his problems talking to other people
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 23:12   #21
s|k
Caveat Lector

Okay I created a running schedule all the way up until the marathon. I decided to do the entire full marathon.

What do you guys think?
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 23:33   #22
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

I think if you stick to that itll be a miracel, good luck
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jul 2006, 23:36   #23
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
I think if you stick to that itll be a miracel, good luck
Why it starts slow, and advances slowly, over 6 months. I'm walking 1 minute for every 10 minutes spent running. Anyhow, I'm determined. I will run this Marathon, I've always wanted to.
Unread 2 Jul 2006, 11:34   #24
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

You'll cramp up if you try walking every 10 minutes. The schedule looks fine but try to keep running.
Unread 2 Jul 2006, 13:26   #25
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In my opinion (and from my experience of only having just started to even attempt to get fit) it's best to just keep running, purely because any other way will interrupt your rhythm and will put you off going on. I think it will be better if you just try to build up your stamina over time and running constantly at a set pace.

The site says you need to walk to take on water, i'd say over time you'll become accustomed to drinking water on the move. My problem in fact is taking water with me on a run, as carrying stuff is terribly distracting for me when i want to be focussed on keeping on running.

I really want to get in to long distance running, as I quite enjoy the general fitness and all round 'endurance' challenge. I am quite light (plus point) but also quite small (negative) so i'm not sure if I could cope with a whole marathon. I'd quite like to give a half a try and see how it goes. I might even follow your schedule