User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 25 May 2014, 16:05   #1
RobbieHood

RobbieHood is a splendid one to beholdRobbieHood is a splendid one to beholdRobbieHood is a splendid one to beholdRobbieHood is a splendid one to beholdRobbieHood is a splendid one to beholdRobbieHood is a splendid one to beholdRobbieHood is a splendid one to behold
A new building

I had this idea yesterday and thought I would throw it out into the universe for comment.

How about making a building that converts xp to resources. Obviously no a 100% conversion but some rate that would be appealing for some players.

The idea is that some people want to xp for score. I personally don't want xp and prefer a higher value so if I jad the chance to get more resources from gaining xp I would take it. This would building would also increase the value of miltary centers.
RobbieHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2014, 15:48   #2
Aftereight
MadeMan

Aftereight is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A new building

I can't see why not?

A % increase per construction perhaps?
[ black flag : spore : elysium : wolfpack : critters : plush : LCH : virus ]

artist formerly known as MadeMan
Aftereight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2014, 21:32   #3
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

Yeah, nice idea Robbie.

Would it be converted at say 60% of the rate its converted to score?
Unread 26 May 2014, 21:39   #4
TheoDD
Othello Champion, Solitaire Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion

TheoDD has a spectacular aura aboutTheoDD has a spectacular aura about

Cool idea, but i don't see how this shall work in practise at all.
And what it has to do with a new building.

Does xx % of this building give xx% of the xp converted back in value?

So the higher % you have in this building the higher % you will get back if converted? So you would waste cp on this building, to lower your own score for value? Sounds self destructive on so many levels, i would love to see it in play, as noobs would think they are abusing something, which actually is just self destructive.

Thats my two cents. Please try to explain your idea otherwise, if i'm mistaken...
TheoDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2014, 22:56   #5
RobbieHood

RobbieHood is a splendid one to beholdRobbieHood is a splendid one to beholdRobbieHood is a splendid one to beholdRobbieHood is a splendid one to beholdRobbieHood is a splendid one to beholdRobbieHood is a splendid one to beholdRobbieHood is a splendid one to behold

I guess that's what I'm saying. My thought is having a chance to increase my value even at a reduction of my overall score would be useful for anyone who would rather have more ships. As an example I would rather be 20 mill value with 25 mill score than 15 mill value with 26 mill score.

However I don't know all the formulas for calculated value from resources,buildings, ship, ect and the formulas for calculated score. And this idea would really depend on how those formulas work.

Maybe a building isn't a good idea. Maybe it should just be a trade option in market or something.
Unread 27 May 2014, 00:16   #6
TheoDD
Othello Champion, Solitaire Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion

TheoDD has a spectacular aura aboutTheoDD has a spectacular aura about

Reason why i commented that is:

You need to use x ticks and xxxx ammount of cu (construction units) on this said building. Whilst others would use the same ammount of cu on refineries and finance centres. The value they would get in the long run from those buildings would greatly overcome the value you would gain from trying to increase the % of trade. You would loose out on income compared to others, to try and catch up by trading away your score. Score = Xp + value. (Xp can't be lost atm, while value on the other hand can.)
1xp = 60 points.
Value = (Fleet-cost / 100) + (Resources / 150) + (Constructions * 200) + (Roids * 200) + (Security Guards*6) + (Agents * 60)

A market to trade would be a lot more viable for those who eagerly would want to give away their xp for resources, but it would still be self destructive. The more value you have, the less xp you gain by landing attacks. And unless the trading ratio would be 100%+ it's simply not worth it.

XP = roids capped * 10 * bravery factor

bravery_factor = (min(2,target_planet_score/your_planet_score) -0.2) * (min(2,target_planet_value/your_planet_value) - 0.1)

http://game.planetarion.com/manual.pl?page=formulae
TheoDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2014, 02:27   #7
RobbieHood

I see what you mean about the construction of another building. It would only hinder growth in the long run especially since it would have to compete with other resource production buildings.

The trade option though might have some merit because if the trade is set up correctly there could be an growing interest to building more military centers to gain extra XP for resource trade.

Also you said that as value goes up you gain less XP however as score goes down you gain more XP. So somewhere in there a happy equilibrium could be found which would dictate what the exchange rate for XP to resources is.

So right now 1 xp = 60 score points and 9000 units of resource also equals 60 score points. Now if I can convert all 9000 units in to ship building I just made and extra 30 points of score. (I am making an assumption that fleet-cost=the total number of resource units used to build ships) So if the trade was a 1 to 1 relationship between the score value of Xp and resource then this would have a negative effect of future gain of Xp. But what if the equality was made between the score value of Xp to the Fleet-cost score value. That would mean trading 1 Xp for 6000 units resources which initially would lower your score but once ships were built your score would return.

And as you said this would be a risk since you cannot have xp score taken from you but you can have ships destroyed. It could be an interesting element for the gambler inside of each of us.

Another value to something like this is that I think it would be incentive to attack big targets for the Xp gain.
Unread 27 May 2014, 05:22   #8
Recluse

Recluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to allRecluse is a name known to all

There are 2 separate things to address with this idea; XP gained and XP held.

A construction could be used to turn XP gained in roiding into resources. Say, 1 building turns 5% of XP gained into resources delivered to your planet upon your fleets return. This could perhaps be seen as "Looting" This would only be in effect during attacks/roiding, no other instance. I would say it probably best to max this out at something like with the FC's, say no more then 10 can be built, so 50% XP converted from roiding.

Secondly would be XP gained by any means, be it scanning, defense, etc that is "held" at the planet. You could allow your XP to be sold to the universe at a 35% discount. Also, as this is a way to gain resources instantly, I believe there should be some sort of cool-down attached to it, like the selling ships option, which would also appear on a planet scan.

As a scanner last round with lots of XP, but low on the value side, this would have made my round even more practical early on. Scanning would become a much more value oriented route and maybe more useful then previously.

Saver of Sad

Supreme Commander of The Spider Colony
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2014, 07:03   #9
RobbieHood

Yes. What you said about the need for some kind of cool down crossed my mind as well.

A type of control method I thought of was some kind of cycle/period of time, say 24 ticks, in which xp earned in that period can be traded in for resource. After the period ends whatever xp earned in that cycle is locked and becomes untradable.
Unread 27 May 2014, 07:16   #10
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoDD View Post
A market to trade would be a lot more viable for those who eagerly would want to give away their xp for resources, but it would still be self destructive. The more value you have, the less xp you gain by landing attacks. And unless the trading ratio would be 100%+ it's simply not worth it.
This assumes that everyone is playing for score or rank which is simply not true. Some like RobbieHood might simply consider it worthwhile simply to have a bigger fleet; it would be useful for defence planets who consider their main raison d'etre to be to create large defence fleets and have no use for their score. Also if it were a trade rather than a building some scanners would surely use it to turn the xp they gain from scanning into yet more scans for their alliance.

Also that in terms of score it is self destructive does not also mean it would not be an interesting option to have; having the trade in particular might open interesting options for example self covering incs by cannibalising your xp.

My main problem with it would be that it puts the emphasis more on value over any other style of play which as it is the way most people play is probably the wrong direction of travel.

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2014, 16:12   #11
RobbieHood

Quote:
Originally Posted by booji View Post
My main problem with it would be that it puts the emphasis more on value over any other style of play which as it is the way most people play is probably the wrong direction of travel.
I think that if this system was set up correctly it would actually increase the incentive for attacking which i believe has been a complaint about the direction of "napatarion".

If i want xp to trade in i have to be earning Xp in every 24 tick cycle.

Plus there is nothing to stop players for just keeping their Xp for score which cannot be taken from them.
Unread 28 May 2014, 19:04   #12
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Paging mz to this thread.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2014, 19:17   #13
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

*shrug*
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote