User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Aug 2004, 15:17   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Places to buy a mid-range "cute" laptop?

Right.

One of my mates has a grand to burn (yes yes yes, it's alright for some etc) and what she wants to burn it on is a laptop. She's pretty up with computers herself (she's half built a pc before with me there to help her) but when it comes to laptops she isn't sure where to get them.
Unfortunately, neither am I.

A lengthy phone call has determined that she has these requirements:
> It'd be nice if it "looked cute, you know, was an unusual colour or something? I quite like light blue. Then it would match my ipod mini *giggle* "
> Screen size is not an issue, in fact she'd quite like something around 12" (yes yes lololol) because then she can fit it in her bag. So we're thinking more "notebook" class than "laptop" class here.
> The most taxing thing she's going to use it for is watching the occasional DVD or DivX (backed up from a DVD she already owns clearly). This means massive processing power and a big graphics card are not required. Onboard graphics will be quite sufficient.
> Having said that, if possible she'd like an Athlon64 based machine because she has designs on running Longhorn on it in the eventuality that we're not dead by the time Microsoft release it.
> She does want at least 512Mb RAM
> She does want as much harddrive space as she can reasonably get
> She does want wired and wireless (preferably 802.11g) networking
> She'd like a DVDR or DVDRW if possible but it's not an absolute must-have
> Floppy drive is not required
> USB2 and Firewire? Yes please! Firewire for the ipod and USB2 for various printers, digicams etc
> "If you can find one with one of those nippley things rather than a trackpad then i'd prefer that"

I think that about wraps it up.
So anyone know where to find a cute, Athlon64 based laptop that has midrange specs and lots of harddrive space?
Oh we're in the UK btw.

Help!
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 15:58   #2
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of
Re: Places to buy a mid-range "cute" laptop?

I recommand browsing www.dell.com, they have cheap, quality stuff, and excellent support packages should you need those.

-TheRat

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 16:33   #3
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

Hmmmm...
IBM (thinkpad), Dell, Sony Vaio, Toshiba?

I found Vaio to look nice and have nice driver support via internet, hmmm.
Just go to a big electronics store and have a look around, they should've lots of models to look at...

[/no_real_idea]
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 18:20   #4
djcomplex
The Usualsuspects

djcomplex will become famous soon enoughdjcomplex will become famous soon enough

there a tiny little vaio which is dead "cute", does she NEED a laptop or is this purely because it looks nice?

If not send her down the Dell optiplex route nice looking machines at good prices
djcomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 14:15   #5
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road

Similar sortta advice needed here

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote