User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Jun 2003, 02:25   #1
Olive

How to make your own MMORPG community in 24 easy steps.

http://www.legendmud.org/raph/gaming...iles/frame.htm

How many MMORPG's do you think are borrowing this plan atm these days :P

Can you think of any examples of where it's been done ?

Is this the future of on-line gaming :/

What's your favourite parts from this document.

Quote:
Troublemakers, type I:

•Can they be ostracized?
–Must be seen to make public effort to communicate
–You’ll need to put on a show of sorrow when you fail
–Make comments to 3rd party about your sorrow too
My fave part personally

p.s. credit to mis for providing url.
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 03:02   #2
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Sites that aren't multi-browser compatible are bad
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 03:13   #3
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Here's one for Spanner
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 03:18   #4
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Troublemakers, type III: grief players
•Why are they griefing?
–A (very small) percentage is doing it because your design is broken. Fix the design.
•Ban them
–Early, often. Even if they were right about the design being broken.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 03:21   #5
Olive

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Yah I've seen banning on MMORPG's for people reporting bugs.

It's quite hilarious as often fansite forums notice it
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 05:41   #6
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
"griefing?"
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 07:24   #7
djcomplex
The Usualsuspects

djcomplex will become famous soon enoughdjcomplex will become famous soon enough
moaning etc etc
djcomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 09:08   #8
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Make better games
Community scaling
•Rule of 150
–Shows up in psych, military, religion, sociology, anthropology
–Reflect it in your game systems

Hmmmm, somehow this number seems familiar...
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:04   #9
Devo
Spinner Flamer Flamer

Devo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
Here's one for Spanner
Actually, its "Spinner". Notice the e not an a. I know its hard to remember such a complicated name, but keep trying it and you'll get there.
Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
Why are you quoting me in your signature?
Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:10   #10
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
well he does need all the help he can get
but i dont think he needs any more brown-noser's

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 18:18   #11
Agamemnon
afk

Agamemnon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How to make your own MMORPG community in 24 easy steps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Olive
http://www.legendmud.org/raph/gaming...iles/frame.htm
Raph Koster aka Holocron - SWG dev...

Less than 10 days till my copy arrives!
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 21:23   #12
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Devo
Actually, its "Spinner". Notice the e not an a. I know its hard to remember such a complicated name, but keep trying it and you'll get there.
Especially when it's an 'i' not an 'a', right?
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 22:29   #13
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

AlbinoSquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: How to make your own MMORPG community in 24 easy steps.

Quote:
Originally posted by Agamemnon
Raph Koster aka Holocron - SWG dev...

Less than 10 days till my copy arrives!
poor you.

&Omega;
AlbinoSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 23:34   #14
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Re: Re: How to make your own MMORPG community in 24 easy steps.

Quote:
Originally posted by AlbinoSquirrel
poor you.
Agreed. I think Europe has the better deal. We get to see it in 2004 and see it for what it truely is.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2003, 23:57   #15
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
It was a "cunning" play of words with spanner being a nasty term to describe a person. In my and many others opinion Spinner being an incompetent who is utterly out of touch with the player base the pun was rather apt. Get it now ? Also if you were going to try and be "funny" and point out my flaw it would have been an "i" instead of an "a". I know use of the vowels is complicated but keep trying it and you'll get there.

Another graduate of the Planetarion customer support academy (AKA #helpdesk) I see, did you major in being rude to people who hold different opinions of your God (AKA Spanner) by chance ?
Unread 22 Jun 2003, 07:03   #16
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

One more overzealous fool who's succumbed to joining the Spinner Youth. (-:
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 09:21   #17
Devo
Spinner Flamer Flamer

Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
Especially when it's an 'i' not an 'a', right?
*Doh* I knew what I meant. My spellings never been that great.

Quote:
]Originally posted by Hicks
It was a "cunning" play of words with spanner being a nasty term to describe a person. In my and many others opinion Spinner being an incompetent who is utterly out of touch with the player base the pun was rather apt. Get it now ? Also if you were going to try and be "funny" and point out my flaw it would have been an "i" instead of an "a". I know use of the vowels is complicated but keep trying it and you'll get there.

Another graduate of the Planetarion customer support academy (AKA #helpdesk) I see, did you major in being rude to people who hold different opinions of your God (AKA Spanner) by chance ?
Firstly, if you don't like the job Spinner is doing (i not a/e ) then leave Planetarion. Quite frankly it would be a better place without some people. Secondly, very few people actually dislike Spinner, they just say they do because they think it makes them "cool" and "respected". And finally, my opinions were the same before I became a member of the helpdesk team. There are too many ass's out there bad mouthing Spinner for no reason what so ever. "Oh, the galaxy is full of powerblocking idiots, it must be Spinners fault".

I trust you won't be bothering to Pay to Play because you obviously don't think the game is worth it.
Quote:
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 20:38   #18
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Quote:

Firstly, if you don't like the job Spinner is doing (i not a/e ) then leave Planetarion. Quite frankly it would be a better place without some people. Secondly, very few people actually dislike Spinner, they just say they do because they think it makes them "cool" and "respected". And finally, my opinions were the same before I became a member of the helpdesk team. There are too many ass's out there bad mouthing Spinner for no reason what so ever. "Oh, the galaxy is full of powerblocking idiots, it must be Spinners fault".

I trust you won't be bothering to Pay to Play because you obviously don't think the game is worth it.
Then why on Earth did you try and correct my spelling ?

Why on Earth should I leave Planetarion brain box ? Because I disagree with how it has been run ? you really have taken that guide to heart havn't you ? Why should I leave a community I've been a part of for over 3 years, I have no loyalty to your pathetic game simply to the people I call friends.

Most people actually dislike Spinner, you want to know why ? Most people on these forums have had to put up with his constant miss management of the game for 3 years, most of us have lived through his tweaks and seen the heart and soul of the game ripped out, most of us have watched him pander to newbies even though there are none left, most of us have played beta after beta and contributed idea after idea yet seen it ignored, most of us have had to watch as the greats of the game have been driven from here by your boss.

The galaxy is full of power blockers ? There's not a single alliance allied this round, why oh why are people like you put into positions of power people like you who don't even play the game, oh right because blind faith in Spinner to do the right thing and the ability to give good head far out weight the need to have a clue what your talking about.
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 21:35   #19
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Too bad he did not succeed in driving you away. Or are you not the greatest player PA ever had?
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 22:00   #20
HRS
TFD forever

HRS is an unknown quantity at this point
Spinner rulez, only bad thing about him is that he snores, so i need a tent far away from spinner next year on rucphen

<mpr0733> never underestimate the speed of a fryingdutch thread spammer

<Zapman> ja ik wil hrs stalken, natuurlijk, logisch
HRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2003, 22:09   #21
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
Too bad he did not succeed in driving you away. Or are you not the greatest player PA ever had?
I'm not nor have I ever claimed to be.
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 10:54   #22
seventh
Lai

seventh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

CHRIST
SHUT THE **** UP YOU LITTLE PRICK

this game has been ****ed so many times, and you know **** all about it because you've been here, in my prediction...a round, if you're just a retard, two rounds.

you seriously have no clue, i've been here since early round one, as have a lot of people, the ONLY reason i'm still here (as with a lot of people) is that we've all met people on irc, who we now talk with and consider "friends"

but to be totally honest.

die.
[18:02]<DJ_Bass>When i was just a knee basher i ran outside with a coat hanger above my head thinking it would repel lightning

[18:03]<Ashknight>If it hit you, now that would explain a LOT
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Follow the guy in front
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
<Bloomers> you are fitter tho
seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 10:57   #23
seventh
Lai

seventh is an unknown quantity at this point
meh

need a tranquiliser

idiocy
[18:02]<DJ_Bass>When i was just a knee basher i ran outside with a coat hanger above my head thinking it would repel lightning

[18:03]<Ashknight>If it hit you, now that would explain a LOT
Follow the guy in front
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
<Bloomers> you are fitter tho
seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 13:57   #24
djcomplex
The Usualsuspects

djcomplex will become famous soon enoughdjcomplex will become famous soon enough
sev you turn me on so much when your angry!
djcomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 17:07   #25
Devo
Spinner Flamer Flamer

Quote:
Originally posted by seventh
CHRIST
SHUT THE **** UP YOU LITTLE PRICK

this game has been ****ed so many times, and you know **** all about it because you've been here, in my prediction...a round, if you're just a retard, two rounds.

you seriously have no clue, i've been here since early round one, as have a lot of people, the ONLY reason i'm still here (as with a lot of people) is that we've all met people on irc, who we now talk with and consider "friends"

but to be totally honest.

die.
Sorry, I couldn't understand what you said with all those *'s in. If the only reason you are here is friends, then why play planetarion? And why post in the planetarion forums? Surely "Planetarion Discussions" are for Planetarion players, and so people who enjoy playing Planetarion.

Its like eating fruit, then complaining that its gone off, and then eating some more. It doesn't make sense! Oh, I have been here since round 3, I have payed to play for every pay round, and I know how to play. I am not a newbie to this game, I just have a different idea of it to you. And no, I did not have sexual relations with Spinner. Ever. Sorry Spinner, but I don't go for that sort of thing.
Quote:
Unread 24 Jun 2003, 22:30   #26
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Quote:
Sorry, I couldn't understand what you said with all those *'s in. If the only reason you are here is friends, then why play planetarion? And why post in the planetarion forums? Surely "Planetarion Discussions" are for Planetarion players, and so people who enjoy playing Planetarion.

Its like eating fruit, then complaining that its gone off, and then eating some more. It doesn't make sense! Oh, I have been here since round 3, I have payed to play for every pay round, and I know how to play. I am not a newbie to this game, I just have a different idea of it to you. And no, I did not have sexual relations with Spinner. Ever. Sorry Spinner, but I don't go for that sort of thing.
You just don't "get it" do you ? Planetarion as a game is rubbish, it's a glorified database, it's boring, the concept was out of date by Round 3. The only reason people keep playing is because of the community and because of their friends. The only thing that has sustained the game through the fiasco of Pay to Play is the community. The forums are one of the major focal points of the community and many of us even though not playing are still involved in the community in one way or another, so why should we not be able to post on the forums. Half the threads on this board and on AD are about times gone by so why should retired players be refused the chance to indulge in nostalgia with their friends ?

Wow you've been here since Round 3, big deal, there's a huge difference between playing Planetarion and "playing" Planetarion. Your clearly on the wrong side of the line if you think this game is sustained by anything other than it's community both past and present. Sorry but all you are is another Spinner lap dog, who's spent his time isolated from the real community and the real face of the game, that's perhaps the main reason why no one is going to really listern to what you say.