User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Closed Thread
Unread 8 May 2003, 12:36   #1
djcomplex
The Usualsuspects

djcomplex will become famous soon enoughdjcomplex will become famous soon enough
any ideas?

as part of a report i have to write i have to "include a review of wireless networking and assess the benefits versus the costs for the ordinary home-user" simple enough i hear you cry but i am heavily restricted with how much im allowed to type in this report,

what would you consider to be the most important issues to cover?
Unread 8 May 2003, 12:42   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Con
1. Security is harder.
2. Bandwidth (streaming multiple media simultaneously is not gonna happen over wireless).
3. Interference.
4. Crappy standards so far.

Pro
1. Convenience.
2. Flexibility to move things around.
3. NO CABLES!
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 8 May 2003, 14:03   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I'd say cost was presently a con too.
Unread 8 May 2003, 14:34   #4
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: any ideas?

Quote:
Originally posted by djcomplex
as part of a report i have to write i have to "include a review of wireless networking and assess the benefits versus the costs for the ordinary home-user" simple enough i hear you cry but i am heavily restricted with how much im allowed to type in this report,

what would you consider to be the most important issues to cover?
The many different 'improved standards' being invented by the manufacturers mean that if you want better than 11mb transfer rate you are going to be tied to one manufacturer until a completely different standard is ratified that you naturally wont be able to upgrade your existing kit to regardless of what the manufaturer has claimed

Vaio
Unread 8 May 2003, 15:10   #5
djcomplex
The Usualsuspects

djcomplex will become famous soon enoughdjcomplex will become famous soon enough
thanks guys you've been a real help
Unread 9 May 2003, 08:31   #6
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
con: pain in the arse to set up & security
pro: internet on the lav
Unread 14 May 2003, 15:20   #7
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
802.11g not ratified yet?

Also cost isnt that high, you can get 802.11g PCI adaptors for ~£40, I'd hardly call that obscene.

Streaming media - you need 128kbps for audio, and <4MBps for uncompressed DVD video + audio - much much less for MPEG4 - so wireless already can cope with media streaming at an affordable pricepoint.

You should stress security.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
Unread 14 May 2003, 17:38   #8
djcomplex
The Usualsuspects

MT your 5 days late!

Last edited by queball; 14 May 2003 at 18:16.
Closed Thread