User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 28 Mar 2003, 17:24   #1
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
So, I've just been annihalated..

by a planet nearly 3 times larger than me who sent not only roiders but a nice kill fleet to go with it.

Sorry, but in a war game having running your fleet out everytime you get attacked is not an option, its a joke.

I'm considering quitting and not playing again, its really not worth the time or money. Will it ever get sorted out? I doubt it.

Go on creators, suprise me.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2003, 17:43   #2
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I woke up this morning to find i had been attacked by a weet planet of similar size to me. He sent 1 Vsharrack as a scout and just 100 Vultures in his main fleet. I didnt move my fleet because i wasnt online and i had no defence, but he didnt recall and lost all his vultures.
Unread 28 Mar 2003, 19:33   #3
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Yesterday I woke up and was being attacked by a top 10 planet. I had 136 roids

That was the first wave, the second wave came 3 ticks later.

Today I got 2 waves as well, 600 pegs coming at one point, not pretty to cover if you're not in an alliance have nohing more then galaxy defense to sort you out.

Conclusion: WEETNAR is out of targets

btw: the above is not whining, I lost 3 ticks of roids out of the 12 ticks that I could have, apart from that I raped many fleets so I found it funny. Still, when I decided not to play activly this round I imagined something different then waking up to hostiles every morning.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2003, 19:34   #4
djcomplex
The Usualsuspects

djcomplex will become famous soon enoughdjcomplex will become famous soon enough
wait....
can you hear it......
listen carefully........

ah thats it...
the smallest violin in the world, playing just for YOU
djcomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2003, 19:44   #5
glaci3r
z0r

glaci3r can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally posted by djcomplex
wait....
can you hear it......
listen carefully........

ah thats it...
the smallest violin in the world, playing just for YOU
suddenly i'm a wee lad again by the incredible sagacity of your words.

anyhow.. the moment this random planet hits 1 million score i'll be happy especially with all my consistent incoming

04: 152:08:20 [None]
05: 017:11:14 [NFU/Elysium]
06: 008:12:01 [Titan]
07: 028:04:11 [Titan (BC)]
08: 040:03:09 [Titan]
09: [Eclipse]
20: xxx:xxx:09 [None]
glaci3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 23:12   #6
Kevjml

So you want people to not be able to attack those smaller than them? Brilliant idea! How come it wasn't put in from the beginning?
(Game: Try to spot the sarcasm)
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 08:23   #7
MadeMan
180º

MadeMan is an unknown quantity at this point
i woke up seeing my gc having 17k incomings, and wp not being ale to help, and we other had our own problems
MadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 08:28   #8
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by MadeMan
i woke up seeing my gc having 17k incomings, and wp not being ale to help, and we other had our own problems
Don't worry, you'll get used to is after a week or two of constant massive incoming and no def available at all.

hAl
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 09:00   #9
schryenm
Old geezer

schryenm is infamous around these parts
Do as i did, attack some1 buigger instead of deffing on ure own against incoming. It's fun, u get e-mails like:
"Ehh can't you see i am bigger and it's stupid to attack some1 bigger?"
U will loose fleetscore, but ure roids will be rather stable & u have lots of fun.
After about a week they can't hit u any longer, cos ure less than 20%. It will be b0ring after that, but at least u have had a funny week
R3: 26:6:15 markdirdir of Tchai [TFD]
R4: 285:19:15 marmaluk of Pao [TFD]/[XAN Core]
R5: 20:9:4 markdirdir of Kursk [XAN Core]
R6: 2:1:15 markdirdir of Tchai [XAN core]/(inactive)
R7: 40:6:23 markdirdir of Pao -freebee -
R8: 40:5:3 markdirdir of Tchai [Plush]
R9: 6:2:2 Disneyland of the Death Penalty (OLY)
R10 Retired
schryenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 14:27   #10
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
To djcomplex and kevjml, two knobs in a field of tits. I am not whinging about being attacked in the slightest, if you read my original post you will see that I did not moan about the fact I was attacked just at what it did overall. I object to a game system that doesnt viably allow you to fight to defend yoruself without getting wiped out.

The idea of the game is surely not to get involved in one battle and get wiped out, destroying weeks of growth, but to get involved in many battles and skirmishes. The way things are at the moment you cannot play this game at all if you dont have the backing of a big alliance.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 15:09   #11
Urkki

Urkki is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: So, I've just been annihalated..

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashTester
by a planet nearly 3 times larger than me who sent not only roiders but a nice kill fleet to go with it.

Sorry, but in a war game having running your fleet out everytime you get attacked is not an option, its a joke.

I'm considering quitting and not playing again, its really not worth the time or money. Will it ever get sorted out? I doubt it.

Go on creators, suprise me.
Well, an attacker who sends out an attack fleet that can't do it's mission, getting roids at reasonable cost, is stupid (or trying to bluff you into running).

In other words, in this game you can not defend alone. Or rather, in the cases where you can defend alone, the attacker doesn't attack you in the first place, and you never even know that your defences saved your roids...

So you need help from friends, and that is the basic idea in Planetarion. Working together with your friends. If you want to play solo or with just a friend or two and still grow agressively(which can be great fun), then you have to accept the fact that others will come and roid you occasionally, and all you can do is run your fleet.

As to how to be able to sort it out... Well, that's very hard. You obiviously can't make it so that nobody can attack. You can't "reward" defenders with too much score (early R4 style), because that creates a situation where every planet becomes a bad target very fast (also known as... dum di dum di dum... stagnation!).

I'm not saying it's impossible. I suppose there are ways, such as making the roid cap smaller for every disabled pod even if there are enough left to get full cap. But it's surprisingly hard to implement things like this so that there are no ways to abuse it in some nasty way...
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 15:39   #12
MadeMan
180º

MadeMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by hAl
Don't worry, you'll get used to is after a week or two of constant massive incoming and no def available at all.

hAl
hmm ys, but hopefully wolfpack will send some def then. ^^
MadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 17:28   #13
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
"OMG I GOT KILLED IN A WAR GAME, GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!"

-Necro
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 18:04   #14
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Teh_Necro
"OMG I GOT KILLED IN A WAR GAME, GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!"

-Necro
Who in this thread has asked for their money back?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 19:22   #15
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
PA == Quantity game

If you send more ships to your opponent you'll win.
The more ships you have, the further you will come.

There is no such thing as "military strategy" in PA. It's all precalculated and predictable. The "friends" you have will determine the outcome of the round (and a bit of luck not to be targetted by someone bigger than you), not your skills to be a good strategist.

PA is all nice and dandy in a universe of 50k+ players, or an universe of less than 20 players. 50k+ gives enough targets to attack, and little enough chance to be targetted over and over again.
A small game is good for fun amongst friends, and PA can be paced enough to be fun with so few targets (as I've experienced in a DETO speedround)

Luckilly I've found another game that does require SOME military strategy to be successfull, and where there's the possibility to choose between quality or quantity.
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 19:30   #16
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Who in this thread has asked for their money back?
I was wrong, but it never means you were right.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 08:52   #17
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Teh_Necro
I was wrong, but it never means you were right.
I now understand why NoS has been copping so much flak for being an alliance of n00bs (not newbies, but n00bs - there is a distinction)

Tactitus' statement was accurate. No-one prior to your first post mentioned the issue of demanding their money back. This makes his statement correct.

I fail to see how you can say that it means that 'it never means you [Tactitus] were right.' :\
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote