User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 17 Dec 2009, 13:45   #101
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Support planet rule

The problem is that cheating "effectively" takes so much effort
Unread 17 Dec 2009, 18:12   #102
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH_H_Crab View Post
The problem both of us would have when it comes to discussing this, is that it is totally impossible to determine what the level of cheating is and I find it surprising that you seem very sure about that.

If we can agree about how easy it is to cheat in this way, perhaps we could agree that it is at least plausible that for every "incompetent" cheat that is detected (and there are a few of them every round) there might well be one or two who are not incompetent?

Humans are extremely resourceful creatures and exploiting opportunities to gain a competitive advantage must be one of the strongest drivers of human development since the species first appeared on earth.

I think the "flaws" (I see them as such) in the game design which I have referred to provide incredibly rich opportunities for exploitation.

I would therefore be incredibly surprised if there weren't a lot of people exploiting them.
Fair enough and while your points are all valid it'd be like cheating at snakes and ladders versus a five year old. I mean, sure you're going to win and competitive advantage etc but I mean seriously, you're cheating at Planetarion 6 years after its peak. I don't believe it happens on a personal level having dced in two of the most successful alliances recently with a lot of people over various rounds in them and I'm fairly sure I'd have noticed something amiss. And if you're not going to try and avoid getting up at 2.50am, 4.50am and then 7.50am what the hell are you cheating in order to get around?
Unread 17 Dec 2009, 19:45   #103
HRH_H_Crab
Jazz Maverick

HRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
Fair enough and while your points are all valid it'd be like cheating at snakes and ladders versus a five year old.
I agree completely, indeed having read this I cast my mind back to when I started playing PA (in round 4) and I must say, I came across relatively few people who...

Oh come on, who am I kidding?!
HRH_H_Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2009, 19:51   #104
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well no, back then it was a game played by tens of thousands of people, most of whom didn't know each other at all, with actual prizes (albeit shit ones) in an atmosphere which tacitly condoned cheating due to the fact it was hilariously open within every alliance community. Almost everyone I knew back then cheated and nobody gave a shit. That's just not the situation now. I mean, take someone like mista who had logins for half of the t100 planets in r2. He can't even run his own planet these days never mind account share effectively.

Edit: Upon rereading your post I think I misconstrued your post, originally it sounded like you were making a sarcastic counterpoint but are you actually agreeing with me?
Unread 17 Dec 2009, 20:57   #105
Cowch
Moo

Cowch is on a distinguished road

People still cheat, it's just not the kind of multi-stuff we used to see. Back in the day everyone had their own planet for scans, two or three for attacking with and a host of farms across the universe. I don't think people do that anymore.

These days, farming only really happens when someone deletes their planet so they can late start in a fortress. They let their buddies roid the planet out before they delete it. They might also start their new planet before the old one is gone. Also, at the end of the round, the crap planets leave tag, split their ships into three easily beatable fleets and crash on one of the ziks in their alliance.

It's cheap, but it doesn't really affect the credibility of the entire round. It just makes the planet rankings meaningless, at least at the very top. I don't really believe most of the huge top ten ziks got their beetles and xan fleets legitimately. I guess I don't know how much I care either. I wasn't going to be in the top 10 anyway, and two hours after the round is over, no one remembers who won.

Besides, if you're cheating so you can win an internet game with no prize for the winner, you might need to reevaluate how you measure your self-worth.
Cowch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2009, 21:30   #106
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have absolutely been found wanting.
Unread 18 Dec 2009, 01:20   #107
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowch View Post

It's cheap, but it doesn't really affect the credibility of the entire round. It just makes the planet rankings meaningless, at least at the very top. I don't really believe most of the huge top ten ziks got their beetles and xan fleets legitimately. I guess I don't know how much I care either. I wasn't going to be in the top 10 anyway, and two hours after the round is over, no one remembers who won.
http://game.planetarion.com/show_new...ictj7kh8t0d09s
http://game.planetarion.com/show_new...xmjjtz8i1k4qhc
http://game.planetarion.com/show_new...62aoyora8n00r7
http://game.planetarion.com/show_new...8erhccozc6jjqe
http://game.planetarion.com/show_new...8iw53ociitknh1
http://game.planetarion.com/show_new...wyiktx87n2alto

There you go, all beetles I capped. That's one top 10 planet.
I know all of ATRO's breps too, and he got insanely lucky on defences that were mostly DC'd by me, signs, eksero or someone from 4 8, so he had no influence there.

I know eksero farmed inactive caths together with reese and got lucky a few times, he barely had cath crashes on him. I know he had a lot of luck in 6 9 (i farmed that gal too for beetles as you can see, but also for roids).

That's 3 out of 6 caths with an explanation. Can you please keep your mouth shut or come up with some proper reasonable doubt about significant caps?

Thank you.
Unread 18 Dec 2009, 05:34   #108
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Theam actually has more Beetles than I have ships (and I have a Cath co planet).
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2009, 10:03   #109
HRH_H_Crab
Jazz Maverick

HRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud of

Quote:
Edit: Upon rereading your post I think I misconstrued your post, originally it sounded like you were making a sarcastic counterpoint but are you actually agreeing with me?
Unfortunately I was making a sarcastic comment.
I have come across plenty of cheats in my PA career and not just back in round 4. Maybe these aren't people who would actually cheat against a 5 year old at snakes and ladders, but would definitely not think twice about borrowing a couple of logins if it meant stealing roids from a very emotional player that is taking the game far too seriously simply for the lulz.

I am not saying that they are a majority of the player base, but I think that there are more than enough to have an impact on, for example, a committed honest player in a fairly lowly alliance.
Unread 18 Dec 2009, 14:03   #110
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH_H_Crab View Post
Unfortunately I was making a sarcastic comment.
I have come across plenty of cheats in my PA career and not just back in round 4. Maybe these aren't people who would actually cheat against a 5 year old at snakes and ladders, but would definitely not think twice about borrowing a couple of logins if it meant stealing roids from a very emotional player that is taking the game far too seriously simply for the lulz.

I am not saying that they are a majority of the player base, but I think that there are more than enough to have an impact on, for example, a committed honest player in a fairly lowly alliance.
Okay. I don't really know any people like that. There are probably a couple I don't know that well who would but to even compare it to the situation back in the early days of PA is laughable.
Unread 18 Dec 2009, 21:06   #111
HRH_H_Crab
Jazz Maverick

Disclaimer: I have not played this round, and have no evidence that any player has done anything that wasn't 100% within the rules of the game, but given the discussion I just couldn't resist:

Quote:
I'm not quick to dismiss it. If I came in having not played pa at all I might actually lean towards your point of view. I just don't see it and I've played a lot.
Quote:
Either way this has been the most epically outrageous end of round #1 planet contest ever. And by outrageous I mean dodgy. As in <edited to protect a possibly 100% innocent players reputation> landing on two planets who are clearly online during the last week and farming them for outrageous value gains dodgy.
I took these quotes from the other thread because as Mz quite correctly pointed out, there were some offtopic posts therein which I apologize for.

Last edited by HRH_H_Crab; 18 Dec 2009 at 21:11.