User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 28 Feb 2003, 16:07   #1
SpazMonster
No, really...

SpazMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Player reputation -> Alliance reputation

What kind of impact does individual player reputation have on an alliance reputation? If you see someone that has a history joining an alliance, do you think differently of that alliance and that alliance's HC? And to what extent? Furthermore, do alliance HCs take this into account when making deals with other alliances?

The most extreme case of 'yes' I can think of would be 'we won't work with anyone that has killmark as a part of their organization'. But does this happen on a less extreme, more personal level as well?
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 16:32   #2
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
To me an alliance's reputation is based on the quality of there players as a whole, not based on one or two '1337' players.

I wouldn't view an alliance any different if just one individual player joined them, (unless it was me of course then the alliance would obviously have a much better reputation)
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 16:42   #3
SpazMonster
No, really...

Quote:
Originally posted by [GAP]Obiwan
To me an alliance's reputation is based on the quality of there players as a whole, not based on one or two '1337' players.

I wouldn't view an alliance any different if just one individual player joined them, (unless it was me of course then the alliance would obviously have a much better reputation)
Even if it was someone you disliked?
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 16:48   #4
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
My view of alliances change a lot depending on what members they let join, and what members leave. It says a lot about an alliance HC, what their priorities are and what direction in which they are going.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 16:49   #5
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
It depends on the situation. If a really good player moved to an allaince that was considered insiginificant, it would definately make people reconsider the allaince and give it respect. But one player doesnt make too much of an effect on an established allaince. Killmark is kinda an oddity so its hard to use him as an example.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 17:14   #6
Carpeia
a norteh -[LoCo]-

Carpeia has a spectacular aura aboutCarpeia has a spectacular aura about
Well, a good example for this. Wolfpack R3-r4.

When people joined, and left.
------------------------------------------------
Carpeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 17:23   #7
SpazMonster
No, really...

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
It depends on the situation. If a really good player moved to an allaince that was considered insiginificant, it would definately make people reconsider the allaince and give it respect. But one player doesnt make too much of an effect on an established allaince. Killmark is kinda an oddity so its hard to use him as an example.
I was using him as a bad example to try and stay away from. Trying to focus more in interpersonal relationships and how those can change or shape alliance policies or how others view those alliances, indirectly shaping/changing policy.
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 17:26   #8
SpazMonster
No, really...

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
My view of alliances change a lot depending on what members they let join, and what members leave. It says a lot about an alliance HC, what their priorities are and what direction in which they are going.
How big of an impact does this have tho? Will you take steps to avoid/approach an alliance based on a few people joining or leaving an alliace?
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 17:58   #9
N0VA
Your Nemesis and Beerg0d

N0VA is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Well said overall - I do think that Killmark poses a good example though, but only in context. When MDK was formed, the initial opinions of it were based largely upon Killmark's reputation - that it would be wank, with cheating as its only chance for success. What was surprising though was that _a lot_ of good and fairly respectable players joined MDK. This is important because while some people started reforming their views about MDK, even more people tried pressuring their friends in it to leave.

I would suggest then that for a reason like this, the individual reputations of players within an alliance do (or should) effect the overall reputation of the alliance. Any time you have a good person in an alliance that people see as beneath their calibre, they will try to either poach the player, or just badger them into quitting for a different alliance. In the case of MDK, the good players left. Had they stayed though, it would have indicated that despite constant pressure and good offers directed at high calibre players, they decided their best choice was MDK. Something like that should have an impact upon the reputation of an alliance.

<Peacemaker1> you are projecting images that happen real. like if you were to get shot in a dream, you would wake up with a bullet hole through you
<Nova> that would suck
<RIT> yeh but It would rawk if you dreamt about lesbian orgies
<Peacemaker1> waking up in a pool of lubercant, and with dildo bruses all over. sure would
N0VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 18:29   #10
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by SpazMonster
How big of an impact does this have tho? Will you take steps to avoid/approach an alliance based on a few people joining or leaving an alliace?
Well when Fury let everyone and their mate (Adelante and FAnG people) in last round, my general opinion of them dropped quite a bit. However, I knew from then on that they'd be more dangerous than they previously were. The result this had was us beating on them significantly more.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Unread 28 Feb 2003, 18:40   #11
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
N0VA pretty much rounded it up (he's got a habbit of doing so as of recent ).

I personally always relate an alliances reputation based on the players that are there. Perhaps this is not the best method, but its something that i cannot help doing.

For example if a renouned planet player like Kileman or Game joined Vengance, what would your reflection of Vengance be?

Personally i'd rate them a little higher.

-Necro

(No Discredit to Vengance - Don't worry, i was only being hypothetical about Kileman joining your alliance )
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 18:53   #12
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
since my oppinion of anything killmark is biased, i won't use mdk as an example, though it was funny to see Titans who left for MDK begging to be let back in before thr round ever started.

anyway, i think in most cases, people who deal seriously with alliance politics are not phased if big rep players join alliances. if the players are individual. i'll take an example from last round.

at the beginning of last round, no one was really taking Titans/LDK seriously, i'd say mainly because we were basically two small alliances, but also because we didn't have any of the "public" heavyweights back then. LDK seldom are public figures, and the "Titans Bad PR Core" wern't active at that time, and the general oppinion was (seemed to me anyway_, that we were treated more as a dark horse then as a potential round winner. Then Axis comes over from DTA to be a BC on our side, and a few people take notice, but Axis isn't that public a figure so i'm guessing not much. But when DTA came over, a group of very public and good players, people started to take notice of us. I don't doubt that that changed the political stances of some alliances towards us...

i guess what i'm trying to say is that no player, no matter how famous can change the reputation of an alliance, but if a few come, then yes...

but isn't that kinda self explanitary anyway, and therefore a rather pointless thread?
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 18:58   #13
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Player reputation -> Alliance reputation

Quote:
What kind of impact does individual player reputation have on an alliance reputation? If you see someone that has a history joining an alliance, do you think differently of that alliance and that alliance's HC? And to what extent? Furthermore, do alliance HCs take this into account when making deals with other alliances?
The short answer is 'yes'.

If a player who has a proven track record of winning, or is known to be an intelligent, successful player joins an alliance, this represents a fairly big vote of confidence in that alliance's abilities. Likewise if someone who is known to be a trouble-causer, cheat or spy joins an alliance, that might be seen as a sign of that alliance's low standards.

I don't think I've ever judged an alliance on the basis of a single player, it's more of a 'feeling' about the kind of players an alliance has. Also, if someone I trust or respect expresses a view on an alliance, I am likely to take that view into account.

Interpersonal relationships play a huge role in PA, though personally I have been allied to my best friends and worst enemies at different times... sometimes a HC has to put personal feelings behind the interests of the alliance.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 19:35   #14
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
As a connected aside rather than a direct answer to the topic, my opinion of an alliance goes up when I know that there are people I am friends with involved. This might cause crossover with what you suggest merely because I happen to be friends with people that the community respects. Or not. As the case may be.

Personally I don't think I particularly care who the community respects, so I'd have to answer that no, just because an alliance has players that the community respects, wouldn't increase said alliance's reputation in my approximation.

I suspect that in the grand scheme of things Rob is probably correct.
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 19:36   #15
Storebo
Adelante

Storebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Cicada
since my oppinion of anything killmark is biased, i won't use mdk as an example, though it was funny to see Titans who left for MDK begging to be let back in before thr round ever started.

anyway, i think in most cases, people who deal seriously with alliance politics are not phased if big rep players join alliances. if the players are individual. i'll take an example from last round.

at the beginning of last round, no one was really taking Titans/LDK seriously, i'd say mainly because we were basically two small alliances, but also because we didn't have any of the "public" heavyweights back then. LDK seldom are public figures, and the "Titans Bad PR Core" wern't active at that time, and the general oppinion was (seemed to me anyway_, that we were treated more as a dark horse then as a potential round winner. Then Axis comes over from DTA to be a BC on our side, and a few people take notice, but Axis isn't that public a figure so i'm guessing not much. But when DTA came over, a group of very public and good players, people started to take notice of us. I don't doubt that that changed the political stances of some alliances towards us...

i guess what i'm trying to say is that no player, no matter how famous can change the reputation of an alliance, but if a few come, then yes...

but isn't that kinda self explanitary anyway, and therefore a rather pointless thread?
Also the secret alliance with virus wasn't that known for start. While the other blocks where announcing their allies etc on boards... and where the ones most spoke of. The Virus deception worked very well for Titans/LDK.
R4 170:17:3 [Elysium ]
R5 12:10:18 [Elysium ]
R6 25:10:3 [Elysium ]
R7 31:20:2 [Elysium ] / [Adelante ]
R8 45:2:7 [Adelante ] / [Fury ]
R9 13:7:9 [NoS ] / [Lch ]
R9.5 and R10 dunno where [Elysium ]
R11 21:1:6 [1up]
[1up]
Storebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 19:41   #16
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
To take an exampel, when I learned of the Fred and his reasons for kicking Rids, I thought more highly of both Fred and Legion at the time.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 20:00   #17
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I was using him as a bad example to try and stay away from. Trying to focus more in interpersonal relationships and how those can change or shape alliance policies or how others view those alliances, indirectly shaping/changing policy.
Well, I think in the case of a big alliance, one member is a pebble in the ocean so to speak. If this is your topic of interest, youve got to start with HC, and officers, its a smaller pool with more impact. As far as the membership thats probably best studied on a more macro level than an individual to individual basis. Looking at how cliques form within allainces would be a fun study.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
Well when Fury let everyone and their mate (Adelante and FAnG people) in last round, my general opinion of them dropped quite a bit. However, I knew from then on that they'd be more dangerous than they previously were. The result this had was us beating on them significantly more.
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 20:11   #18
SpazMonster
No, really...

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Looking at how cliques form within allainces would be a fun study.
This is indeed another interesting topic. What are some well-known cliques, what's their history and what kind of influence have they exerted in past rounds. Also, what are HCs' opinions to these cliques?

I only know a couple that I've been exposed to or involved with.. T&P, M&S, Dancing Lizards and Dragons. The 3 groups that I'm somewhat familiar with have had a serious influence on the political landscape of the game. M&S has had a reasonable amount of fury officers and execs, same with the lizards. Now alot of lizards are involved with Rah. Dragons has been a strong group within wp although I'm not sure of what influence they've had within.
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 20:20   #19
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
wasn't R7 politics in FFLTV the "perfect" example on how alliances get/don't get an agreement(or ally), alliances getting/not getting dropped just because of the rep of 1-2 persons.

Ofc I can only speak for FAnG but I do know for a fact that certain HC's didn't want to talk to FAnG, at the start of r7, only because of 1 HC and no other reason.

This aside, I do think the rep of the HC influences the overall rep of an alliance, doesn't mean the alliance has "earned" that reputation though.

rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 21:15   #20
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Teh_Necro

(No Discredit to Vengance - Don't worry, i was only being hypothetical about Kileman joining your alliance )
I would play PA again for anyone... if they paid me lots of $$$

________
Ktm 525Exc-G

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 21:42.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 21:24   #21
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally posted by Kileman
I would play PA again for anyone... if they paid me lots of $$$

So your the player version of LDK then huh huh?

-Necro
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 22:42   #22
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
This is indeed another interesting topic. What are some well-known cliques, what's their history and what kind of influence have they exerted in past rounds. Also, what are HCs' opinions to these cliques?

I only know a couple that I've been exposed to or involved with.. T&P, M&S, Dancing Lizards and Dragons. The 3 groups that I'm somewhat familiar with have had a serious influence on the political landscape of the game. M&S has had a reasonable amount of fury officers and execs, same with the lizards. Now alot of lizards are involved with Rah. Dragons has been a strong group within wp although I'm not sure of what influence they've had within.
well, cliques are something that i just don't get really...but it does happen.

during r6 and r7 in Legion was a very difficult time for me due to cliques. In Legion it seemed for the most part that you best m8's within the alliance were your core group at the time you joined. Now when the R2, R3 Legion came back to Legion in R5 it was difficult, but even more so in r6/r7 after the Titans split. Being one of the sole remaining members from the r4 time it was very difficult to interact with many of the players, either because they had their own "core" group from r2/r3 or were r5 players who had their own group formed within the respective juniour alliance. It was very uncomfortable... especially with the seeminly "throw away mentality" many of the R4 players had been treated with by the command...

cliques are always going to happen though, purely because of the mentality of the players and then design of the game. ie, galaxies of private players, small attack groups feeding off big alliances. it's quite possible to be in an alliance, without ever being in an alliance, and many good players have probably been lost because of it, and many players have got better because of it..

now i'm rambling..
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 23:19   #23
Sad
TeamPies

Sad will become famous soon enoughSad will become famous soon enough
Every player should have a chance...
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 00:14   #24
K-W
Bored

R7 cliques in Fury had a huge impact. Youd talk to someone and theyd have this incredibly different take on things, and youd realize that everyone was doing the talking that used to be done in allaince channels, in chat channelswith thier friends. So every clique had its own rumors and its own set of information. I would suggest to any current and future allaince leaders that you watch this carefully and keep general allaince discourse at a max, few things are as internally destructive than alot of cliquing. It kills a community and fractures an allaince.
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 01:34   #25
Axis_WLF

Axis_WLF is an unknown quantity at this point
Clearly yes. Most peeps who rate alliances rate them by who is them before a round starts. Take Olympians and Eclipse both highly rated and both unproven as an alliance but ranked high on peoples lists because of who is in them. This is a good thread tbh, all the replies ive seen have been pretty ace. Combination Germania, Nova and the end of Kjels replies pretty much sum it up all together.

Killmark is a cheat always has been always will be however he always had a knack on having the "forest affect" of gaining people to his side. I think MDK was a poor alliance.

Some ace players with a good rep id say are Randal: this guy always managed to slip under peoples radar however he always pretty much finished top 100 and was an ace guy. Kileman: people hate him but only cause their mainly jealous yes hes done things that are morally wrong but outside of r6 I have not seen anything hes done PA illegal hes a nice guy I like him and he is a fun guy to throw ships at as hes always a challenge. These peeps I'd say are up on my list but the "shadow" peeps who ill name Killmark: not a good player he cheated to pretty much get everything he could and in multiple rounds, once you start to outgrow this guy he gets jealous and BOT attacks you I know as I exp it personally. and Videer this guy was not an ace player in my opinion as I was larger than he was until he started asking for donations of roids and funds and thats ****e.

Legion and Fury commands all were ace <i dont care about differences the guys running the show were pretty smart and ace> so clearly rep of personal player has lots to do with the alliance itself or helps in proving the alliances worth.
r2 9:23:1 Axis_WLF of Kadan : Blluetuba/Legion
r3 6:24:1 Axis_WLF of kadan : Legion/WolfPack
r4 201:15:1 Octavian of Ostia : Wolfpack
r5 13:6:2 Sun Tzu of Art of War : Legion Command
r6 33:13:?? : Legion Command
r7 15:19:12 Unknown soldier run over by a wagon : Legion Command
R8: 28:8:9 Niccolo Machiavelli of Revera Legatus : TITAN COMMAND BC
R12 ??:??:?? 1up Military Officer

Last edited by Axis_WLF; 1 Mar 2003 at 01:42.
Axis_WLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 01:44   #26
SpazMonster
No, really...

Germania's got me interested in this clique thing now As he said, multiple versions of the truth were going around in these groups (especially toward the end) and it had a significanly negative impact on things. But what I'm really wondering is if other alliances have been in similar situations and if someone could describe em, much like Cicada did with his experience in legion.

Does it just reduce to elitism? Or is it more friends sticking together from being together through things in the past?
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 01:50   #27
Axis_WLF

Axis_WLF is an unknown quantity at this point
DTA and Mercury and Solace battle groups and sister galaxies from back in oh about r2 and beyond was where cliques in my opinion started to develope. A good thing round after round you begin to develope a strong bond and thus the whole sticking with your friends through thick and thin takes grasp.
r2 9:23:1 Axis_WLF of Kadan : Blluetuba/Legion
r3 6:24:1 Axis_WLF of kadan : Legion/WolfPack
r4 201:15:1 Octavian of Ostia : Wolfpack
r5 13:6:2 Sun Tzu of Art of War : Legion Command
r6 33:13:?? : Legion Command
r7 15:19:12 Unknown soldier run over by a wagon : Legion Command
R8: 28:8:9 Niccolo Machiavelli of Revera Legatus : TITAN COMMAND BC
R12 ??:??:?? 1up Military Officer
Axis_WLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 01:52   #28
Maddix
Imposter?

Maddix is an unknown quantity at this point
It would stand to reason that if a player that is generally thought to be "good" joined an alliance that was thought to be "poor" people who respected and thought highly of that player would have a more positive attitude to that alliance. "Well if its good enough for him/her..." and "He/She must see something good in that alliance, they can't be that bad".

Same can be said for players who are disliked, Killmark as Deven said is a good example of this. People who generally know a certain player to be, for want of a better word, a **** won't want to join the same alliance and their opinion of that alliance would therefore drop slightly. "Why the f**k did they let that guy in, maybe they are desperate?".

R2: XXV
R3: Æternals
R4: Fx9/Wolfpack
R5: Legion
R6: Legion BC
R7: Legion BC
R8: RaH BC
R9: RaH HC
Maddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 02:58   #29
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Maddix
Same can be said for players who are disliked, Killmark as Deven said is a good example of this. People who generally know a certain player to be, for want of a better word, a **** won't want to join the same alliance and their opinion of that alliance would therefore drop slightly. "Why the f**k did they let that guy in, maybe they are desperate?".
yup, 100% right, but in those cases the "not liked" person often is in that alliance cause he knows someone there irl, or knows someone well on IRC. It doesn't nesc mean that the alliance he/she is in ****s. Nonetheless will 99% of us immediatly form a negative image about that alliance.

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 1 Mar 2003, 03:17   #30
Not_RIT

Not_RIT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kjeldoran
yup, 100% right, but in those cases the "not liked" person often is in that alliance cause he knows someone there irl, or knows someone well on IRC. It doesn't nesc mean that the alliance he/she is in ****s. Nonetheless will 99% of us immediatly form a negative image about that alliance.

rgds Kj
I like to give such players a break and let them in, mebe Im just weird but if they are alright to me and people in the alliance then I couldnt really give a **** what the AD thinks
Not_RIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 04:22   #31
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:

rgds Kj
considering you joined Elysium (or their jr alliance atleast?), what should that tell us?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 04:23   #32
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
R7 cliques in Fury had a huge impact. Youd talk to someone and theyd have this incredibly different take on things, and youd realize that everyone was doing the talking that used to be done in allaince channels, in chat channelswith thier friends. So every clique had its own rumors and its own set of information. I would suggest to any current and future allaince leaders that you watch this carefully and keep general allaince discourse at a max, few things are as internally destructive than alot of cliquing. It kills a community and fractures an allaince.
Exactly.
Every organization/politicial party in rl also tends to have this problem.
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 06:20   #33
Maddix
Imposter?

Quote:
yup, 100% right, but in those cases the "not liked" person often is in that alliance cause he knows someone there irl, or knows someone well on IRC. It doesn't nesc mean that the alliance he/she is in ****s
True, bit like Eclipse letting say...Dreadnaught...in?

Unread 1 Mar 2003, 06:28   #34
Cryptic
Retard Magnet

Cryptic is infamous around these parts
Re: Player reputation -> Alliance reputation

Quote:

The most extreme case of 'yes' I can think of would be 'we won't work with anyone that has killmark as a part of their organization'. But does this happen on a less extreme, more personal level as well?
From a Fury perspective ( and I would assume other larger alliances ) , PR was taken into account very often when making descisions on alliance deals, new members tactics.
Especially in earlier rounds, turning players and alliances into pariahs made them less likely to get allies , less likely to have deals honoured to them, and more likley to get random attacks from the non allied section of pa players.

Information was kept on many players - and any indiscressions they made would be PR spun across the boards when they joined an enemy alliance - to discredit the alliance , cause morale problems, cause other allainces to question the validity and trust of deals etc.

Even though most people know that most things are rumour , propaganda or half truths - things stick in your mind and do affect your dealings and perceptions - a useful,if annoying spam tool.

As always - if you talk to a member of an alliance and that player comes across to you as an idiot etc - you will question the alliances quality and standards for letting them join.
On a larger more public scale - its only the high profile players that affect reputions - and then so its generally only the absolute top of either the power or score ladder - or the cheating and bad boy lists.
The lesser players although known don't have the same headline imapct when it comes to peoples opinions and dicsussions - much like in blockbuster movies - its the stars and the villans that get the press.

With regards to cliques and information, there were many little circles of intel amongst and within many alliances. Often the real motives truth was know amongst only a handfull of people - while either twisted or waterd down information was circulated to those lower down the chain .... and then polished PR drivel hit hte boards for the gernal public to hear.
Even amongst the inner circles , deciet and half truths were about.

If you get tired of the crap , baby move over here and maybe buy some of mine

R1 c7R / Fury co-founder / annoying bully / Propaganda mechant.

Crypto Inc Comics

Last edited by Cryptic; 1 Mar 2003 at 06:34.
Cryptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 10:52   #35
Dreadnought!

Quote:
Originally posted by Maddix
True, bit like Eclipse letting say...Dreadnaught...in?

On the topic however, people are depicated differently compared to the side their on.
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 11:26   #36
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about
Clearly the general memberbase gives a good impression about an alliances abilities and if there are certain ppl in it, especially in the HC cooperation is unlikely from the HC point of view. Tho i think that a single member an hc would dislike from another alliance wouldnt have that much of an impact, it would be harder if he had actually to deal with this person every single day in cooperation channels, which means the person he dislikes beeing an hc of his ally.

I think the evaluation of cliques has 2 faces. Most of the cliques you guys named like T&P, M&S, Urwines, DTA and even Gods or Lizards or Eshtar, started mostly as galaxys from the core and then got upgraded to maybe 2 or 3 or more galaxys which made an "ancient-style" battlegroup. Because all this BG's of the past share something which outweighs most current sistergals or galcooperations, they were not only an combatteam but also a strong social group in which diferent alliance characters would basically signup a small "extra" alliance, i.e. get more defence more and better targets with more cooperation, therefore attacking not your cooperative gals and stick additionally to a bigger set of rules in your battlegroup.
This made such groups pretty strong ingame, which then had effects into their motheralliances. If you pull much weight and if u do alot of work, sooner or later you will get benefits from it and/or gain respect and positions within your motheralliance.
Speaking from a fury point of view. in many rounds BG's like T&P, M&S and Eshtar, Commodores were the spearhead of the round. Meaning of all fury BG's those were the ones which took the most effective damagework and were loyal to the alliance 100%, which gives an alliance a basis to calc with even before a round starts.

This on the otherside is also the mainproblem of such groups, sooner or later they get too heavily involved in the motheralliance and esepcially if ppl move around in the alliances and prolly join hostile alliances or in general if ppl stay too long together, the social group becomes more important then your actual alliance.

This effect was pretty much obvious in r7, when furgion alliances were together for along time, so that at the point of splitting up and smothing the block, members were surprised and unhappy about decisions made, because their longtime social group friends became "the enemy".
You might compare this in a few cases with cancer because if such a social group spreads out, you might endup infecting more and more players of your core and then like legion in r7 at one point of time you find out you lost control over all those social groups who are booking targets with other alliances as the socialgroup leaders have officer or execpositions there. This means in the longrun you lose offensive firepower and in some cases fleets of those bg's/socialgroups were also defensively more used internally then for the motheralliance they were supposed to be for.
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 12:04   #37
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally posted by G.K Zhukov
considering you joined Elysium (or their jr alliance atleast?), what should that tell us?
I don't know what it tells you, but to me Ely always was an ACE alliance and will still be ACE whether I'm a part of it or not. And quit those subtle attempts to start flames plz

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 1 Mar 2003, 13:00   #38
Shadow1980

Alliance reputation is based 100% on it's members and it's history. basically when regarding a new alliance you look at the individual members which joined it. Pple can say they don't but then they lie.
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 13:28   #39
stargazingiris
mundo!

stargazingiris is an unknown quantity at this point
heh. and then there is ofc the cliques within the same alliance becoming very competitive against each other causing this fragmentation... this is more likely to happen in a stagnated universe, as there is no enemy to speak of except those other cliques vying for top position.

this could be looked at in 2 ways:
a) it's good as it keeps people motivated through the round even during stagnation
b) or its bad in that it exaggerates the fragmentation germ spoke of earlier and perhaps causes an alliance to lose sight of their goals (as it dissolves into dirty backstabbing and deletion warfare )

Speaking from personal experience, I think these cliques are a good thing for the game. It makes alliance politics a little more fluid, and gives the game an edge when for most it would appear to be dull and lifeless during stagnation. Added to that is how close you get to the people in these groups... its like a second family
r5 93rd 27:22:21 An eval-doer of Eval terrorist w3rld
r7 12th 10:08:12 The One Legged Sherpa of Nanga Parbat
r8 3rd 38:03:04 where the arrow went out of steel stars

Happily retired.

Last edited by stargazingiris; 1 Mar 2003 at 13:36.
stargazingiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 15:59   #40
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
I don't know what it tells you, but to me Ely always was an ACE alliance and will still be ACE whether I'm a part of it or not. And quit those subtle attempts to start flames plz

rgds Kj
Sorry, I was just so tempted to ask
Unread 1 Mar 2003, 23:13   #41
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Axis_WLF
Kileman: people hate him but only cause their mainly jealous yes hes done things that are morally wrong but outside of r6 I have not seen anything hes done PA illegal hes a nice guy I like him and he is a fun guy to throw ships at as hes always a challenge.
sif reporting players I have evidence of cheating is 'morally' wrong if anything its 'morally' right

but ive always played 'within the rules' dont know how many checks have been done over my accounts throughout the rounds, but nothings ever been found :>

I dont see what there is to be jealous about... having no life for 3 months isnt exactly a great achievment
________
TOYOTA RAUM HISTORY

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 21:42.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 00:34   #42
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
today i asked my rahbuddies if i could get in if i applied now.

they all said that on my reputation on the forums they would not let me in, while otherwise i would get all vouches.

reputation isnt everything.
Knight Theamion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 01:14   #43
Aneu
H O N O U R

Aneu is an unknown quantity at this point
Zenith Update

You seem to forget Killmarks taint in this, whatever alliance killmark is in is labeled bad yes?

Regards
Aneu

'True Power Is A State Of Mind'

Quote:
[22:27] ([ViruS]Aaranaf) your not Aneu
Aneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 01:41   #44
SpazMonster
No, really...

Re: Zenith Update

Quote:
Originally posted by Aneu
You seem to forget Killmarks taint in this, whatever alliance killmark is in is labeled bad yes?

Regards
Aneu
that's kinda the point, yes?
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 07:51   #45
Maddix
Imposter?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadnought!
On the topic however, people are depicated differently compared to the side their on.
Odd as it is...I actually agree with this

Unread 2 Mar 2003, 09:46   #46
starbreeze

starbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kileman
sif reporting players I have evidence of cheating is 'morally' wrong if anything its 'morally' right

but ive always played 'within the rules' dont know how many checks have been done over my accounts throughout the rounds, but nothings ever been found :>

I dont see what there is to be jealous about... having no life for 3 months isnt exactly a great achievment

...note the but nothings ever been found ....
doesn't really mean that "i'v never done anything bad" now does it
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 10:15   #47
stargazingiris
mundo!

heh. back on topic ta.

from my experience, when alliances take in members i don't think they worry about a players reputation unless it is a reputation which leads them to believe that the person may be a security risk. Players tend not to be rejected just because HC's simply dont like them (because if they are applying and it gets to that stage we can assume the applicant has enough vouches by members).

Though of course the way this recruitment reflects on the alliance is a different matter... as many outsiders who do not know the situation or do not personally know the applicant will, as maddix mentioned earlier, see this as a sign of weakness. Of course in situations like this, i think people have to be aware that many things people do that seem bad in fsct help a lot of people (or otherwise why would they do it heh)

Happily retired.
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 11:25   #48
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally posted by stargazingiris
Players tend not to be rejected just because HC's simply dont like them (because if they are applying and it gets to that stage we can assume the applicant has enough vouches by members).
Erm, I do think the HC's opinin about someone is important when recruiting someone. If 1 HC simply doesn't like you, then in most cases you won't get in, and if you do it'll only result (in most cases) into an arguement later on during the round. Which most HC's wanna avoid, so why create potential trouble?

Nway, this is just in general, ofc there are HC's who can set these differences aside, because eventhough you don't like him/her, doesn't mean he/she can't be an asset to your alliance.

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 2 Mar 2003, 11:48   #49
stargazingiris
mundo!

heh. in all my experience i haven't seen any good player rejected by HC just because they dont like them (assuming they fulfill the necessary criteria to join). In these cases the HC in question either swallows his pride and sees what is good for the alliance, or is made to.

just look at Dreadnought and Zhil for example

Happily retired.
Unread 2 Mar 2003, 12:24   #50
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by stargazingiris
heh. in all my experience i haven't seen any good player rejected by HC just because they dont like them (assuming they fulfill the necessary criteria to join
I've seen it lots of times. If current members, command or HC don't like someone and they give a valid reason then they shouldn't get in.

Current members who have been with you for a while are much more important than possible members who may be joining (how good they are or not, doesn't matter).

I could give about 10 examples but I don't want to offend people.