User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 12 Jan 2003, 19:40   #1
Borg_31373

Stop massed attacks

how about implementing a control methoed which stops people/alliances from sending overwhelming attack fleets agains somebody

I know atm you have the score related system that stops you attacking somebody who is way smaller than yourself, but how about something that limits the TOTAL attack force

Something like planet X is target with a networth of 20 mil score, so maximum fleet score that can attack is say 40 Mil fleetscore. That would stop the massive attacks of groups against a single player.
At the minit you could get 20 ppl attacking all of whom are double the score of the target planet which means he is totally crushed
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 19:45   #2
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
How else were you gonna wage war Ask the target gently not to arrange defence?
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 19:46   #3
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
This is only a problem when scads of people bash a small-ish planet, which happens less often than you think.

Using this tactic to nuke (or attempt to) a top-ranked planet is, and should always be, a valid tactic.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 19:49   #4
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
What is wrong with sending your fleets away? Particularly if the attackers have so much fleet present they are hardly going to cap at all.

But yes, the idea has some merit. It just does not seem like you have put much effort into it. Maybe it can be evolved into something that will work. Give it a go.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 19:51   #5
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Forgot about that^^

Just run, and the attackers won't cap much of anything.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 20:13   #6
Borg_31373

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
This is only a problem when scads of people bash a small-ish planet, which happens less often than you think.

Using this tactic to nuke (or attempt to) a top-ranked planet is, and should always be, a valid tactic.
Agreed m8, its a worthy tactic agains top players, but I have seen it used too many times against small to medium players as well, and its dammed hard for somebody to run his/her fleet when he is in bed or at work

And I have seen this tactic used in EVERY round of PA so far, with amazing regularity
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 22:30   #7
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
It would be impossible to take out big players if that was implemented. It would also be even harder to get roids. Lets stop thinking up ways to save the weaker player from those that put effort into doing well please. It's already going to be extremely hard to get roids, implementing this would just make it even harder.

Quote:
Just run, and the attackers won't cap much of anything.
People are smart enough to withdraw just enough ships to get 15% anyway. Unselfish battle groups do this very well.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 22:39   #8
Cochese
Retired

The situation described by the thread starter doesn't sound like a typical BG attack though...unless they commonly use alot of fleets on one target (been out of the loop, but doesn't sound efficient to me) as was the point of the thread.

Sending a "kill/scare" fleet and a pod fleet is another issue entirely; however I don't think this is the scenario described in the original post..but I do see your point.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 23:42   #9
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Scaggydo is an unknown quantity at this point
surely though, if attacker fleet value is capped, then any person knows the maximum ammount of defense they will need at any one time. hence like Scouse said, the take down of large players with massive alliance support, would be impossible. i think bashing has been severly limited by roid caps and 20% networth rule. why should u need to implement a rule of this kind. you suggest this rule as a way to prevent bashing, but it isnt generally worth ppls while attacking a target alot smaller than themselves unless the target is exceedingly roid heavy anyway. and those are the ppl that deserve to be roided anyway.

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
R1-nfi, R2-C4, R3-12:8:4, R4-140:15:1, R5-29:12:17, R6-27:13:2, R7-RL, R8-RL, R9-36:5:1, R9.5-Asleep
Scaggydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 00:34   #10
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
'harden up'
________
UHWH WAREHOUSE

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 21:30.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 08:15   #11
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:

From Zeus's not so veiled comments in CH I think it's safe to assume that this will not be a problem in R10 From what I understood if a group of non-allied (remember alliances will be hard coded) people attack the same planet then they'll fight each other as well \o/

Alliances will be more important then ever and more limited at the same time. Good balance I think
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 11:50   #12
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
I would be more efficient against bashing to recalculate fleet and planet scores after battle but before roidscap. That way you either get killed but keep more roids or you run and leave the roids to attackers.

Bashing n00bs would be of no use as they are less likely to run then.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 14:00   #13
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
heh

sorry m8. overkill is needed many times to get through theese days...to easy to gather def ^^

-Jonas

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 14:52   #14
decoy

Re: Stop massed attacks

Quote:
Originally posted by Borg_31373
how about implementing a control methoed which stops people/alliances from sending overwhelming attack fleets agains somebody
I'm sure EA will start working on Sim Planet right away.
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 11:07   #15
MelAn
Condenación

MelAn is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I know atm you have the score related system that stops you attacking somebody who is way smaller than yourself, but how about something that limits the TOTAL attack force

Something like planet X is target with a networth of 20 mil score, so maximum fleet score that can attack is say 40 Mil fleetscore. That would stop the massive attacks of groups against a single player.
At the minit you could get 20 ppl attacking all of whom are double the score of the target planet which means he is totally crushed
..hmm and how should any Plush guy get a single roid by attacking alone?
Sry i'm so nasty and bitter today ^^
R4: 55:8:23 Selenia the Dark Angel of Urborg of Dominaria ( NoS)
R5: 24:12:5 MelAncholic Angel of Condemnation (NoS)
R6: 21:5:10 Cursed Visionary of True Faith (NoS)
R7: 9:19:9 Fragrance of Your Skin (NoS/Bunnies)
R8: 3:5:4 Cursed Hands of Devotion (Fury/Bunnies)
R9: 18:2:4 Infernal Memories of Humiliation (Eclipse/Bunnies)
--------------------
MelAncholic
...criticism is the root of all progress
MelAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 11:11   #16
Ðiscorporation

Re: Re: Stop massed attacks

Quote:
Originally posted by MelAn
..hmm and how should any Plush guy get a single roid by attacking alone?
Sry i'm so nasty and bitter today ^^
Overburn
Unread 14 Jan 2003, 11:59   #17
kpec01

kpec01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Massed Attacks

I think people to look "objectivly" at the problems ..

Firstly as a "newbie" player, it's a fact that "Newbie Bashing"does
happen. Most of the time it done by players wanting a "a few quick roids" and other time by the "professional Newbie Basher"

People argue, send your fleet away ..... if you stay you are destroyed within 1 tick. Leave and find they have also sent "roiding" fleets.

This game is for mean't to be for "all abilities" and at the moment it is biased ... a 4 million planet can attack a 1 million ... wrong,
10 x 4 million planets can attack a 1 million ... wrong ..

For planetarion to survive you need both professional and casual players and not huge alliances which turns PA stagnet.

The view expressed are purely my own ........

Flame it and be known as "sad"
kpec01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 14:07   #18
-QS-
nub since 2002

-QS- is an unknown quantity at this point
But imagine that on a higher level.

The top player after midround can attack bout the first 100 planets. All of those are highly active player with decent alliances and contacts. Even if top player sends all his fleet (danger of getting his fleet caught) only 5 equivalent player to the attacked one ruin his raid totally.This happens every night ending up with the best player can not get roids nemore onces they reached a certain level...
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 14:55   #19
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Scaggydo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Massed Attacks

Quote:
Originally posted by kpec01
I think people to look "objectivly" at the problems ..

Firstly as a "newbie" player, it's a fact that "Newbie Bashing"does
happen. Most of the time it done by players wanting a "a few quick roids" and other time by the "professional Newbie Basher"

People argue, send your fleet away ..... if you stay you are destroyed within 1 tick. Leave and find they have also sent "roiding" fleets.

This game is for mean't to be for "all abilities" and at the moment it is biased ... a 4 million planet can attack a 1 million ... wrong,
10 x 4 million planets can attack a 1 million ... wrong ..

For planetarion to survive you need both professional and casual players and not huge alliances which turns PA stagnet.

The view expressed are purely my own ........

Flame it and be known as "sad"

i would like to point out the ammount of "anti newbie bashing" laws implemented (20% rule?) and the ammount of anti "bashing" laws implemented (roid cap?) in the game mean that virtually all attacks on small planets are by ther small planets, i honestly cannot see the top players in the universe scouring the lower clusters for sub 1mil galaxies to bash. get over yourself, attacks on newbs happens, malicious attacks on newbs by high ranked experianced players, does not.

whatever size you are, unless you are t10, there will always be someone 3times ure size lookin for a planet your size with a few too many roids than is healthy.

also, ure point about 10x4mil planets attacking a 1 mil planet.. tell me a) when has this happened and b) what n00b alliance was it that launched this? i for one need a laugh.

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
R1-nfi, R2-C4, R3-12:8:4, R4-140:15:1, R5-29:12:17, R6-27:13:2, R7-RL, R8-RL, R9-36:5:1, R9.5-Asleep
Scaggydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 15:05   #20
Kal`Zakath

Eh.
Sure mass attacks on you are annoying, but mass attacks have a use, like some guy already said, it's all about taking someone down.
Hardly anybody mass attacks some smaller planet...what's the point?

If I were to reply to that in a flaming manner, I'd say: 'WUSS!'
:P
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 15:54   #21
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree, I think the creators should let us build flowers out of E (only cheaters use E right now), and then we can send those flowers with a special peace/love note system.

It would be fantastic fun - certainly worth a tenner.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 20:28   #22
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been toying with an idea that is supposed to solve two problems.
  • The lack of targets available to the top players.
  • Bashing.
Remove the 20% score attack limit. Replace it with the following rule:
You can attack anyone ranked higher than you, and you can attack the top 20% of planets ranked lower you.
This would mean everyone, even the top planet, has at least 20% of the universe available as targets. And someone at the very bottom of the ranking can only be attacked by the lowest 20% above him in the rankings.

Although maybe it should be roid ranking rather than score ranking. Only issue would be if that would make farming easier.

Comments?
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 20:52   #23
Kal`Zakath

Quote:
Originally posted by zenopus
I have been toying with an idea that is supposed to solve two problems.
  • The lack of targets available to the top players.
  • Bashing.
Remove the 20% score attack limit. Replace it with the following rule:
You can attack anyone ranked higher than you, and you can attack the top 20% of planets ranked lower you.
This would mean everyone, even the top planet, has at least 20% of the universe available as targets. And someone at the very bottom of the ranking can only be attacked by the lowest 20% above him in the rankings.

Although maybe it should be roid ranking rather than score ranking. Only issue would be if that would make farming easier.

Comments?

I think that's a very good idea, but like you said, it needs a lil bit of tweaking to prevent farming...Unless someone comes up with a very good idea to detect and stop farming...

Unread 16 Jan 2003, 21:31   #24
Fungi
Reincarnated PA Player

Fungi is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Massed Attacks

Quote:
Originally posted by Scaggydo

whatever size you are, unless you are t10, there will always be someone 3times ure size lookin for a planet your size with a few too many roids than is healthy.

also, ure point about 10x4mil planets attacking a 1 mil planet.. tell me a) when has this happened and b) what n00b alliance was it that launched this? i for one need a laugh.

Maybe not 10 x 4,000,000 planets attacking one, but i have experienced (as a lowly 3 millioner planet) 4 separate ENTIRE fleets from 4 different planets, each one just under 15 million. Not once, not twice, but three times by the same alliance. The alliance? Look in my sig for the only alliance it mentions.

--

Also, all this talk of 'the top planets' etc: there are a handful of top planets versus the rest. Why is it that these 'top planets' think that PA should be tailored for how they want it? So that they can maximise their skills to drive even more people from the game? At the end of it all, you're all going to sit in a stagnant universe where everyone is online 24 hours and everyone is just sitting at home initiating roids for fear of getting launched on.

You people who think you rule PA are just elitists. Those who you deem as anything remotely 'n00b' are instantly put down, either by way of board snobbishness or otherwise dismissing any of their suggestions or comments as trash.

You make me sick.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 22:11   #25
LORD-NIKO
Horny *******

LORD-NIKO is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

then u need to do the same with defence ships.
Round 2: 77:18 (SL/LOST)
Round 3: 30:4 (TC)
Round 4: 170:17 (Knights)
Round 5: 35:23:12 (DTA)
Round 6: 8:17:3 (Silver/Ely/VtS)
Round 7: 29:21:3 (RaH Founder)
Round 8: 43:8:4 (RaH HC)
Round 9: 1:4:8 (RaH HC)
Round9.5: 26:5:9 (RaH HC)
----------------------------------------------
LORD-NIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 23:08   #26
Tuz
The Crazy Sexy Frog

Tuz is an unknown quantity at this point
Ooho this is a n00b revolution......
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 23:15   #27
storeslem
magister

storeslem is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
People are smart enough to withdraw just enough ships to get 15% anyway. Unselfish battle groups do this very well.
Thats when you recall your fleet and own those last pods
r2: 21:23:10 BrainDrain of Idealia
r3: 36:5:1 Efreet of Azur
r4: 6:5:12 StoreSlem of Idealia
r5: 19:19:21 BrainDrain of Eudamonia
r6: 22:17:x x of x (cant remember, magister tho)
r7: 22:23:x x of x (dont do drugs kids)
r9: 39:8:3 StoreSlem of Idealia

"Meningen med livet er å gjøre livet verdt å leve"
-Sigurdnw
storeslem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 01:24   #28
starbreeze

starbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Massed Attacks

Quote:
Originally posted by Fungi
Maybe not 10 x 4,000,000 planets attacking one, but i have experienced (as a lowly 3 millioner planet) 4 separate ENTIRE fleets from 4 different planets, each one just under 15 million. Not once, not twice, but three times by the same alliance. The alliance? Look in my sig for the only alliance it mentions.

....stop complaining ok...first of all..those taht know me know that i'm a n00b, pure and simple. have i been bashed, yes...too many times to remeber...yet i'm not pasting pages on the forums whining about it. grow up. its a war game, and the point of war is to win, and to do so, u must destroy ur enemy. ppl don't just randomly select a planet and say "oh...lets send all of our fleet and bash him" they usually have a reason, either u have too many roids (as its too often for me ) or u did something to piss them off....
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 01:34   #29
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by storeslem
Thats when you recall your fleet and own those last pods
People with half a brain would send enough fleet to get 15% and still kill plenty of the defenders fleet, should he choose to return for the battle, after everyone pulled.

'Lending' some cathaar ships off a friend in the same BG certainly helps here.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 09:03   #30
paeae

paeae is an unknown quantity at this point
its the salt of the game when practically every alliance in game chooses one gal/planet for their battleground.

then its nothing bout that planet... its for how much fleets you drop in a tick.