User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Nov 2002, 08:02   #1
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
DDoS'ing of alliance irc servers

Tonight, I know that the titans server was attacked from somewhere around 4:50 to 6:02. Others may also been attacked in this way, but I wouldnt know about it.
The point is, STOP DDOSING YOU MORONS. PA IS A GAME. THIS APPLIES FOR EVERYBODY.

Tnx you.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 08:36   #2
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Nofutcha will become famous soon enoughNofutcha will become famous soon enough
dossing normally comes from on peon, trying to show off, or a couple of them. Trying their little script kiddie programmes they downloaded from scriptkiddies.com

#phnx
Nofutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 09:06   #3
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
After 2 months of attacks on our host we're kinda annoyed too
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 13:52   #4
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
they are rather gay

strangely enough the fanet ones always came at the same time as a certain alliance launched on us

however to solve it we made a redundant multiserver network so now if one server goes we simply jump onto anohter and nothing is lost
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 13:54   #5
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute
BUT ITS SOOO MUCH FUN.

(ahem ahem)
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 13:55   #6
hook
I'm who you want me to be

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Barrow|Pony
BUT ITS SOOO MUCH FUN.

(ahem ahem)
And it makes you feel so strong and fuzzy inside!
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 16:40   #7
Backbone
The one and only

Backbone is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by hook

And it makes you feel so strong and fuzzy inside!
and I can show off with it!

10 times mightier than 2001
Backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 17:04   #8
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
We get DDosed every few days.

Just cause we don't scream murder on the boards every time we get DDos'd doesn't mean its not affecting us as well.
But I guess it all depends on you attitude in the end.
Yunnoh... either you take it as it comes and accept it or you cry like a pantsy on the boards blaming the DDOS for everything thats making you loose.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 17:10   #9
ado

The issue is this.. you can either protest to it at every turn and complain to all on AD who in actuality dont give a damn about your alliance servers OR

You can take DDos'ing as a constant act that occurs towards internet servers and attempt to combat the situation for the good of the alliance.

I have personally designed a system that attempts to examine incoming traffic and learn the characteristics of attacks, much the same as virus checkers identify unknown viruses, and then add firewall rules to block the offenders.

There are also other things you can do such as retal the offenders in the same manner as they do to you.... ontain a few servers on a 100mbps backbone for intance and you are laughing.

To Sum up.....I really dont give a damn about other alliances servers, I have taken a proactive approach and actually attempt to stop the attacks effecting us.. rather than crying about it (admittadly some times with more sucess than others).

Any alliance wants to use the above adaptive firewall scripts please contact me.... my rates are fairly reasonable.
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 17:29   #10
hinch
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ado

I have personally designed a system that attempts to examine incoming traffic and learn the characteristics of attacks, much the same as virus checkers identify unknown viruses, and then add firewall rules to block the offenders.

so then snort, guardian and iptables

all freelydownloadable and easy to setup/configure from www.freshmeat.net as i cant remember the exact url`s
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 18:01   #11
ado

Quote:
Originally posted by hinchles

so then snort, guardian and iptables

all freelydownloadable and easy to setup/configure from www.freshmeat.net as i cant remember the exact url`s
No actually... custom designed stuff part of something I did for my university thesis.

if you have all these tools... you should really consider using them hinch.
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 18:01   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
This is more suited to Alliance Discussions.
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 18:06   #13
ado

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
This is more suited to Alliance Discussions.
LESHY \o/
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 18:30   #14
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future
leshy is a drunk:P
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 18:44   #15
RITJUKES

I think its pretty sad that you actually have private servers, come on be honest they aint really needed, well at least not now a days, when their used to be corupt oppers etc they were needed but not now :/
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 19:25   #16
*Cooper*

*Cooper* is an unknown quantity at this point
DoS attacks ruin the game

u guys suck if u do them attacks
*Cooper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 19:31   #17
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Nofutcha
dossing normally comes from on peon, trying to show off, or a couple of them. Trying their little script kiddie programmes they downloaded from scriptkiddies.com
1 JU57 7R13D 7H4T URL 4ND G07 4 404. PR3P4R3 F0R B4TTL3.

1'LL U53 TH3 P1NG'0'D347H 4774CK WH1CH G1V35 M3 +5 0FF3N51V3 VS Y0UR M1CR050F7 XP F1R3W4LL W1TH 0NLY +3 D3F3N51V3. G0 P1K4CHU!!!!

I R W1NNAR!!!11
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 19:32   #18
hinch
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ado

No actually... custom designed stuff part of something I did for my university thesis.

if you have all these tools... you should really consider using them hinch.
not much point since my connection wouldnt hold up long enough for the info to get to the servers
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 19:46   #19
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light
I think mosy major alliances face this kinder thing, u just gotta try and stay one step ahead it seems:/
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 09:44   #20
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
DDOS'ing of IRC servers

protect and prepare
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 11:22   #21
Lord_Dain

Re: DDoS'ing of alliance irc servers

Quote:
Originally posted by ComradeRob on another thread
It's impossible to prove which alliance is the 'dirtiest' in regards to DOS attacks or such things. As such, this thread can only turn into a 'you suck!' 'no, you suck!' flame-fest, which is why it is now closed...
bleh
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 11:42   #22
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by lokken
DDOS'ing of IRC servers

protect and prepare
Or just let them and don't bother and just play on from some PA IRC server channel. There is not yet been a winner in PA who has not cheated as far as I can tell so clearly playing the game is more important then worrying about your oponents trying to cheat you out of the game in some way.

It seems a ridiculous effort to protect yourself from all kind of hacking and DoSsing of servers just to play a game. Only when you want to win real bad you might go to such lenght but I look upon winners in this game as cheaters by default nowadays and so do a lot of players as well.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 12:24   #23
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Al_zz

It seems a ridiculous effort to protect yourself from all kind of hacking and DoSsing of servers just to play a game. Only when you want to win real bad you might go to such lenght but I look upon winners in this game as cheaters by default nowadays and so do a lot of players as well.
I'm sure that Fury had a spare server last round (they may have one this round) and if it means being prepared for every situation in combat and an alliance wants to win - so be it

The problem is that DOS'ing of a server can ruin an alliance's battleplans for a night - when the key to a war is keeping up the pressure on the enemy, I know that I'd rather be ready for attacks by such idiots rather than let them win.

The best way to beat these guys is to shrug it off, put your backup plan into action, and get on with it, as any capable player would when receiving incoming.
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 13:20   #24
Al_zz
ensign forever

Quote:

I'm sure that Fury had a spare server last round (they may have one this round) and if it means being prepared for every situation in combat and an alliance wants to win - so be it

The problem is that DOS'ing of a server can ruin an alliance's battleplans for a night - when the key to a war is keeping up the pressure on the enemy, I know that I'd rather be ready for attacks by such idiots rather than let them win.
I'd rather let idiots win than take ridiculous measures trying to prevent it. It is a game and if someone wants to win it so bad he needs to resort to criminal acts to do it then I cannot be bothered by it.

I sometimes try to get to the regular cheaters like multies but if I lose a few hundred places because of some criminal hacking or DoSsing I'l be pissed for a short while but certainly not bothered by losing rank as I have not been interested in what rank I finish anyways. In fact I have not kept any rank or score or even coords from my earlier planets. I generally know what players are truly better (very few) or more dedicated (quite a few) than me when I see them play and measure my performance on that rather than on a ranking.

The people that use these illegal methodes to gain an advantage seems to make it not worth the effort to play with full dedication though but there are many more reasons for that a well.

hAl
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 13:23   #25
ado

Quote:

not much point since my connection wouldnt hold up long enough for the info to get to the servers
You run a irc server on your DSL line ?
tell me your f*cking with me, and more so on a plusnet dsl connection !!!
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 13:39   #26
hinch
Banned

naah i run the db and bot from my dsl the irc servers are all on 100mb conns all 7 of them
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 16:11   #27
dezaster
ihq

dezaster can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally posted by Ahriman

1'LL U53 TH3 P1NG'0'D347H 4774CK WH1CH G1V35 M3 +5 0FF3N51V3 VS Y0UR M1CR050F7 XP F1R3W4LL W1TH 0NLY +3 D3F3N51V3. G0 P1K4CHU!!!!

I R W1NNAR!!!11
):
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 16:13   #28
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future
Quote:
naah i run the db and bot from my dsl the irc servers are all on 100mb conns all 7 of them
i might be dumb or something (quite sure about that...) but if you got 7 irc servers on 100 mbit lines...what's the problem then?:/
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 16:26   #29
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve
Quote:

I know that I'd rather be ready for attacks by such idiots rather than let them win.
I would rather let them win, if a 'game' goes that far.
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 16:29   #30
Al_zz
ensign forever

Quote:
Originally posted by furssie
Indeed.
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 16:39   #31
ado

Quote:
So let me get this right... someone has the resources... to sucessfully DDOS 7 x 100mbps irc servers (i am assuming different isp's here). If this is the case... then you do attract undue attention dont you and the ISP's must be extremly sh*te since they will have > 100mbps connections to their peering point(s) and if someone is ddosing more than 100mbps connections then wow... we all got problems.

Secondy if they arnt doing to them all... then why are you guys complaining, surely with "7" servers you have some resiliance there and you should be able to take down 6 of them without your network being our of action.

Mirrow the services on each and you have a totally resiliant solution.

As other people have said... rather that being caught out... be prepared for such situations and save us all the hastle. After all anyone who is "ddosing" is nothing more than a scriptkiddie really.
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 16:42   #32
ado

Quote:
Originally posted by furssie

Nah i disagree, and subscribe to the fury mentality here... a) be prepared and b) "do on to others as you would have them do on to you" in other words... strike back.

Yes I realise thats a controversial opinion, but if people attempt to attack my resources they should be prepared for any consequances of those actions and yes that includes electronic retaliation.

best way to deal with a bully is to smack him straight back 2x as hard......
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 16:59   #33
Al_zz
ensign forever

Quote:
Originally posted by ado
Yes I realise thats a controversial opinion, but if people attempt to attack my resources they should be prepared for any consequances of those actions and yes that includes electronic retaliation.

best way to deal with a bully is to smack him straight back 2x as hard......
You are promoting illegal acts here. The fact that someone else illegaly attacks you does not give you the right to strike back at them. Also in doing so you might hurt or do damage to a lot of people that are not involved in the original actions. (ISP's, people sharing connections/servers like gaming communities etc.).

You mentality strikes me as very strange cause your position will probably only get you more people on your back wanting to show off that you can't really retal at them at all or if you can it will be an utter waste of time an effort cause it is just a scriptkiddie hardly worth the effort anyways.

hAl
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:05   #34
ado

Quote:
Originally posted by Al_zz
You are promoting illegal acts here. The fact that someone else illegaly attacks you does not give you the right to strike back at them. Also in doing so you might hurt or do damage to a lot of people that are not involved in the original actions. (ISP's, people sharing connections/servers like gaming communities etc.).

You mentality strikes me as very strange cause your position will probably only get you more people on your back wanting to show off that you can't really retal at them at all or if you can it will be an utter waste of time an effort cause it is just a scriptkiddie hardly worth the effort anyways.

hAl
No my mentality is fine.... everyone else is speaking from a very idealistic point of view... YES in a ideal world this wouldnt happen.. everyone would play fair.. nobody would cheat. BUT the facts are that people do NOT play fair and do cheat and yes DO engage in illegal acts.

This being said, I WILL NOT stand by and let my network be attacked without any combat measures, nor will I allow my friends (members) to suffer because of that.

I am not promoting illegal activities I agree with most people here that it shouldnt happen and believe me is pisses me off to hell that it does, there are nights when I get no sleep because I am on the phone to 3 or 4 hosting companies where my servers are kept assisting in firewall configuration to stop the attacks happening.

But with a DDOS there are 3 things you can do

1) do nothing play fair and hope they will forget about it
2) configure the firewall to block the attacks, which is fine but not always effective due to upstream connection saturation
3) get a decent server to flood the attackers (even better if you can identify the primary culprit (usually the one controlling the attack trojans)).

It may not be ideal as i have said and may get all the people on these boards pissed but I am being honest and explianing how problems like this are solved in the "real world".
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:07   #35
hinch
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ado

-SNIP-
we dont have a problem now

we used to when we only had 2/3 servers but since the new network was completed theres never been anyproblems.

appart from a plusnet techie breaking plusnets main dsl router which knocked our bot offline.

but the servers them selfs have been rock solid since baout 2 weeks into the round
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:14   #36
ado

Quote:

we dont have a problem now

we used to when we only had 2/3 servers but since the new network was completed theres never been anyproblems.

appart from a plusnet techie breaking plusnets main dsl router which knocked our bot offline.

but the servers them selfs have been rock solid since baout 2 weeks into the round
Good much prefer a level playing field
as for plusnet... I cant comment :P I used to work there.. so I know the guy your talking about probably we are friends hehe :P
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:21   #37
TGO
Currently Retired

TGO is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Ahriman

I R W1NNAR!!!11
pld
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:23   #38
hinch
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ado

Good much prefer a level playing field
as for plusnet... I cant comment :P I used to work there.. so I know the guy your talking about probably we are friends hehe :P

heh i know you did.

btw what are titans planing on foing after this round of pa just dissapearing or moving into other games?
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 18:06   #39
ado

Quote:

heh i know you did.

btw what are titans planing on foing after this round of pa just dissapearing or moving into other games?
Have a few ideas.. we will be keeping the network up for the forseable future and running threads on our boards asking the members what they want to do... it definatly seems logical to keep the community going if we can find a decent game we all like hehe
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 18:16   #40
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
/me flexes his irc muscle
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 18:18   #41
Torz
Up yours

Torz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by ado

Have a few ideas.. we will be keeping the network up for the forseable future and running threads on our boards asking the members what they want to do... it definatly seems logical to keep the community going if we can find a decent game we all like hehe
cm4! I say no more.
Torz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 18:26   #42
hinch
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ado

well if you get together a cs squad or a halo squad im sure fa will be glad to give you a romping
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 20:21   #43
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by ado
3) get a decent server to flood the attackers (even better if you can identify the primary culprit (usually the one controlling the attack trojans)).
This is plain and simple illegal. Use it and you risk being prosecuted for computer crimes. Maybe not a big risk but still does not make it less illegal.

hAl
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 20:33   #44
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by hAl

This is plain and simple illegal. Use it and you risk being prosecuted for computer crimes. Maybe not a big risk but still does not make it less illegal.

hAl
Sounds a good idea to be honest.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 00:58   #45
Zitoz

ddos is soooooooo round seven