User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Closed Thread
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 20:11   #1
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
what would you like us to discuss?

the AD mods will be having a meeting within the next couple days regarding the current 'attitude' in AD.
what i'm wondering is what you guys feel about it.
ie. 'too many flames' or 'it's all good'
also what would you like us to do about it? start banning the flamers? become more strict in deleting flames/spam?

also.. what do you feel about banning all non-playing users?

just things to think about.. let us know where you stand.
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 20:25   #2
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Uncontrolled flaming / accusations etc etc.

A thread with nothing but flames stays open way to long on this board.
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 20:27   #3
Domin
500k posts

Domin is an unknown quantity at this point
banning people for a week or so if they show coords that gonna hurt the planet...

Like x person is located at 1:1:1 etc...

round 2: 54:24:17 FA
round 3: 45:17:20 nos
round 4: 64:18:10 nos
round 5: 32:6:6 nos
round 6: 11:11:7 nos
round 7: 29:23:3 nos
round 8: 22:7:1 nos plush
round 9: 6:6:8 oly
round 13: Dont have roids so dont bother asking
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 20:58   #4
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
good good.

also... (not really AD related but i have nowhere else to post it)

i made a thread on GD explaining that i found a booklet of 12 winnie the pooh postcards and since i know i'm never going to use them, i offered to send them to whoever wanted one.
since i've realized that most of you don't venture off to GD, i'll put a little note here. there's 3 left.. the first 3 people to find me on irc or pm me here and give me their address will get one.

anyways.. back to the topic at hand.. :P
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 21:00   #5
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
ban rumad
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 21:02   #6
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
I think the mods should present more of a sense of humor. They should be less policemen and more catalysts of discussion. Frankly some of the behavior shown by the mods is at near moronic levels.

And ban Rumad.
[edit]Cicada beat me to that one so I'm going to explain what I mean. Speak quietly and carry a big stick. There is no reason users should be allowed to continually abuse their access to the forum without being tread on in return.[/edit]

Jester
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 21:22   #7
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Ban idiots who never have anything constructive to contribute, and always just flame.
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 21:31   #8
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
banning non players is dumb, as they still have an awful lot 2 offer, plus they dont come out with half as much crap as playing users ... however banning ppl more regular for a set amount of time might be an idea, would need 2 be run on strict guidelines though.
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 21:38   #9
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Close AD.

Problem solved.

Unread 27 Oct 2002, 21:42   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
By banning do you people mean a) ban from AD b) ban from the boards or c) IP ban from the boards? So far very few people have done anything bad enough to deserve this punishment or you have one individual doing it repeatedly. This whole "ban rumad cos we dont like what he's saying" approach smacks of the moronic totalitarianism we get accused of so often heh. A lot of the motivation in the end can only come from you.
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 22:24   #11
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Rumad

Perhaps rather than banning non playing individuals perhaps we should make it alliance command staff only.
I think that was the idea of the Senate but anyways.

If that was the case where do the 'pe0ns' go to discuss alliance based topics? For the same reason it isnt in your opinion fair to ban non-playing members of the AD community i dont think it would be fair to restrict AD from the average user who doesnt hold a HC/officer position in an alliance.
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 22:26   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Unless we get a major policy change for the last few months of PA, AD will always remain open to all. I'd intensely dislike seeing any sort of stratification of an existing board into the prevail of a few select HCs. (Anyways what you lot do without a few idiots to get stuff wrong occasionally heh).
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 22:34   #13
Seianus

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilky

I think that was the idea of the Senate but anyways.

If that was the case where do the 'pe0ns' go to discuss alliance based topics? For the same reason it isnt in your opinion fair to ban non-playing members of the AD community i dont think it would be fair to restrict AD from the average user who doesnt hold a HC/officer position in an alliance.
what´s that senate thingy? missed a bit :/
And actually if you would take care of all people that flame, then alot of users would be banned
And allow posting of coords again...allways interesting to discuss about nice attacks

Unread 27 Oct 2002, 22:46   #14
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:

Why not as an a non playing alliance hc ppl seem to be asking for my banning.

However I am not unreasonable. I think that the main thing that AD have problems wit is the amount of hostility. Ppl cannot any longer post, they have to goad and they do so until they prescribe a response. Ppl have baited me for days trying to illicit a response. I personaly think that is unacceptable when it is meant to be a place for alliance discussions.

When you cannot psot and debate the facts, but all too often deflection and off topic trolling is degrading the subject matter and the replies.

This morninG I purposely avoided making accusaions in the webangel thread, yet, I was still acused of it, mostly in derrogatory ways to make me out to be a troll. Unforunately thats symptomatic of the way AD has gone. Perhaps we should just change the name to anarchy discussions, lose the mods and any semblence of normality. I mean that would be a hoot
I can't speak for anyone else but that Webangel thread is one you should have bowed out of a long time before you actually did. You kept replying to posts long after you should have left it to your techies. You made yourself look foolish if anything. And someone (not just me) thinking that some sort of proof is required before yuo can legitimately cry "Hackers" is not trolling, it's more than reasonable. As I said to you in PM, AD is as much a game as any other part of PA. If you open yourself wide to attacks they'll come. Trust me, I've been on the receiving end of enough of them.
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 22:51   #15
Dragoon

As far as I see it, we're just repeating the round six mentality all over again. Its become cliche that every other round will parallel itself, but think in context for a moment..

Round six, this board was so badly plauged with trolling and abuse that certain posters asked the mods outrightly and more than once to adopt a stricter policy of rules, and be more liberal in enforcing them. As round seven progressed, behavior got better, which in my opinion was a direct result of "nazi mods." Coch said, "You've all been my good little darlings, and I think we can let up on some of the strict regulations. What do you say?" There was an outcry of yay's. Doing so has slowly led us back to where we started.

My opinion of this forum, if it is to stay open, is that we need at least one of two things. The first is more and stricter enforcement of the board rules. The second is mods who enjoy modding. There are plenty of us who would gladly take pot shots at mods just because, and there are mods who would also gladly play along. Yet the fact remains that this isnt always the case. Many of AD's mods are beginning to project the image that they either cba to login due to the hassle in cleaning up everyone's mess, or they dont enjoy it here any longer. And I think what this relates back to is that we simply need you mods to be more active, and work together better as a team.

Unread 27 Oct 2002, 23:04   #16
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:

I once criticise the mods for over modding, if I ever do it again pls shoot me in the head.
Tbh the AD mods are damned if they do and damned if they dont. In past weeks and months the mods have been accused of being too strict and causing AD to die becuase all the threads had been deleted and then a week or so later they would be accused of being too slack with the modding because of all the flaming that has been going around.

A lot of it comes down to the users of AD, if the quality of AD is diminishing it isnt so much because of the quality of the modding (which imo is pretty constant most of the time) but because you the posters arent making threads worthy of mature and educated discussion. I'ld agree totally with cutting down on the spam/flames/trolls but AD isnt going to improve suddenly just by the mods being stricter, you still have to make decent threads and proper replies.

I'm not getting at you in particular Rumad, just picking up on the comment you made.

Edit: Oh and if i remember correctly i think most of the time zones are covered by the mods but obviously they sometimes do have real lifes that prevent them from being sat at their PC all day long.
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 23:26   #17
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Jester667
I think the mods should present more of a sense of humor. They should be less policemen and more catalysts of discussion. Frankly some of the behavior shown by the mods is at near moronic levels.

And ban Rumad.
[edit]Cicada beat me to that one so I'm going to explain what I mean. Speak quietly and carry a big stick. There is no reason users should be allowed to continually abuse their access to the forum without being tread on in return.[/edit]

Jester
Aryn, I rather wanna see such behavior banned then Rumad. Why? well Rumad amongst all the others has the right to post his own opinion on AD. Whether that opinion is BS, or not doesn't really matter. What matters is that, if pple like jester don't like Rumad or his writings, then I found like THE perfect solution: "don't read it"

It really works, maybe you should try it ...

Fact that you say ban person X kinda makes you intollerant, maybe we should ban that from AD?

rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 23:47   #18
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

AD is in danger of dissapearing up its own arse unless something is done quickly.
I give it about 2 more months

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 23:55   #19
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
How would you go about banning all non-playing people? You'd have a job proving some of them aren't playing (eg. I could just point out that there's some guy playing with the rulername "Ahriman" - prove that it's NOT me - unless you want every player to in-game-mail you with their forum account name, which is just begging for abuse really ).

Besides the fact that non-players who have actually had a lot of experience are one of the few blessings left to this forum, I would be most displeased at being banned just because I don't have the time to play PA anymore. I paid for 2 accounts to play r8.

When is round 8 going to end? Will the forums still be here after it's over?

PS. ban Rumad for being so damn boring and predictable AND for taking everything so disturbingly literally
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 00:03   #20
Storebo
Adelante

Storebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to beholdStorebo is a splendid one to behold
Could u remove forums account to bitter old players who quit several rounds ago.. but just pop in to tell how good the old days was and how we all stink etc... ?
R4 170:17:3 [Elysium ]
R5 12:10:18 [Elysium ]
R6 25:10:3 [Elysium ]
R7 31:20:2 [Elysium ] / [Adelante ]
R8 45:2:7 [Adelante ] / [Fury ]
R9 13:7:9 [NoS ] / [Lch ]
R9.5 and R10 dunno where [Elysium ]
R11 21:1:6 [1up]
[1up]
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 00:17   #21
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Close AD.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 00:18   #22
Aryn
Happy

see this is the kind of discussion we had more of :\

anyways.. i agree stricter modding is a good idea.. but honestly.. i've been trying.. and what do i get? i'm called a nazi, hitler, bad mod, plus more personal insults. i've had 3 people thank me for my work.
but i've read a few threads these past days and i see people WANTING the flames/spam to be deleted. i'd love everyone to make up their mind. if you want the flames/spam to stop... then stop insulting me for getting rid of it.

anyways.. /rant.
thank you very much for your insights. no rumad is not going to be banned no matter how much you ask. (unless he breaks rules of course). i have actually come to like him more in the past couple days... i think he's changed for the better. i wish there were more people like him actually. (haha flame me now.. er no.. don't cause i'll just delete it.. HA!)
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 00:18   #23
Torz
Up yours

Torz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Storebo
Could u remove forums account to bitter old players who quit several rounds ago.. but just pop in to tell how good the old days was and how we all stink etc... ?
I can't say I've seen any player of prominance doing this (bar Rids ages ago)

AD has ran it's course imo, no need for it to be here anymore.
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 00:19   #24
Aryn
Happy

oops
i forgot to mention.. no we're not making AD exclusive to one group of people (pa players, or hc/officers)
it was jsut a suggestion i put down to get you lot talking :P

ps. AD will be closed eventually.. just not yet
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 00:47   #25
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Everyone is too quick to point fingers and bad mouth each other, including me. When people have the fingers pointed at them they are straight into defensive and telling people how wrong they are.

90% of posters on here are hypocrites and everyone has skeleton's in their closet. I'm pretty sure the majority of people who post here are very decent people who, under other circumstances, would get on well together. People have to 'stand up' for their side. If AD was closed then we'd have less 'hate' towards each other and we could finish the last couple of months of this game in some sort of harmony where you arn't being a tw@t to anyone and everyone who disagrees with you.

Most people arn't posting here because they want to anymore, it's just about who can make each other look the worst. It's not even propaganda anymore because there arn't anymore neutrals to persuade one way or the other. Most people who read AD are set in their ways, and no amount of 'propanda' will make them think "Oh hold on, they are right", they just launch into defensive mode again.

Shut AD and put an end to it, there's no interesting discussion to be had anymore.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Unread 28 Oct 2002, 00:54   #26
Dragoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
^
Harmony? If it didnt happen here, it'd just happen on irc or another set of forums. Or it would spill over to PD in an attempt to not remain strictly alliance-related topics. Closing this forum is something that's bound to happen, but it is by no means a solution.

Unread 28 Oct 2002, 01:06   #27
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragoon
If it didnt happen here, it'd just happen on irc
It wouldn't, because you can choose what rooms to be in on IRC and what is said on IRC isn't on view for everyone to see.

Quote:
Or it would spill over to PD in an attempt to not remain strictly alliance-related topics.
Close that too. There's nothing interesting on there either.

Unread 28 Oct 2002, 01:25   #28
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
Ban anybody who gets personal (either nasty or clique'y)

Ferk all cliques imo

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 05:06   #29
Aryn
Happy

i don't think we need to close AD
if we did everything would just spill over to GD/PD anyways.

i just think people need to stop being so quick to try and prove themselves.

btw.. i still have 2 postcards left.. any takers?
pm me etc, ta.
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 05:34   #30
Dragoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse

It wouldn't, because you can choose what rooms to be in on IRC and what is said on IRC isn't on view for everyone to see.
If you or anyone else honestly posts here without considering consequences, then all I can say is they deserve what they get. The interfaces of irc and bulletin boards may be different, but to suggest a whole different mentality for each is too much of your own opinion being asserted in the argument. Aristotle said that the most we learn from a man-made model of any given subject is not about that subject itself; but about ourselves. I'd tend to agree.

Unread 28 Oct 2002, 07:30   #31
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
What I 'want':

From the Users
1) Discussionary topics. Make topics people can discuss. Simple really.

2) Self-restraint. Unless you have something to add to a 'discussion-worthy' topic, don't post in it. Seeing things like "This is boring." or "Hi <insert nickname>." is irritating and serves no purpose other than to clutter a thread.

3) Knock off the 'put downs.' Christ, why no one makes an effort to 'win' in an argument by proving someone wrong and would rather fall into the reputation-degrading trap of "You twat." insults tells me that people are just too lazy to try. If you're lazy, don't bother replying.

4) Respect for AD. Don't post bull**** topics not falling under a discussion-sort. Granted, sometimes it's nice to see a 'funny' thread, but it's irritating as hell to see a royal **** thread passed off as 'funny' when it's not.

5) Respect other users. Fine if you don't get along and don't hug and kiss each other in every thread, but recognize some people use the forum for a reason, and maybe don't like reading things like "/me huggles <insert nickname>." one-liners or irrelvant put-downs. If you don't like long discussions, fine, stay out of them. If you want a 'one-liner' thread, go make an Olmit-type thread on GD.

From the Mods
1) Activity. Maybe some of you are busy, maybe some aren't. Maybe some or all of you are doing your assigned jobs, maybe some aren't. If you aren't, and you'll know if you are or not, then admit it first to yourself and then to your comrades. No fair letting the rest cover your slack. :/

2) Individual-post moderation. I know the 'Report Post' feature works. I know some of you use it regularly to help you moderate individual threads. Continuing in that fashion, please continue to 'tidy up' threads so they have a bit of life in them instead of gunning them down with a closure. Exception to this is of course if the topic itself is worthy of closure, heh.

3a) Account suspensions. Simple really. What people are mistaking of 'banning' is suspending an account from using AD, not the rest of the forums. I know Cochese has done it in the past to some users (i.e. Androme) so please do. Using the '3 strike' system is useful, and I'd like to see no 'exception' taken to any user, regardless of their status within Planetarion (HC, member, retired, 'celebrity' etc.).

3b) If a simple "Grounds for Strike" document can be written up, so that users are aware ahead of time what activity or behavior will get them a Strike, everyone would be most appreciative.

3c) Some of this will most certainly come into 'debate' among AD's community (users and mods alike) along with the rest of the forums and admins. Mods should know what I mean by this. Remind 'the powers that be' that AD isn't making decisions without approval, but simply for the health of the forum itself. I know damn well 'special consideration' is attributed to various forums for the sake of their community types, so I hope it works out.

Any or none of this may have an effect on anything, but it's what I'd like to see. While I'd like to see a relaxed atmosphere where a million rules didn't have to exist, and everyone could freely stretch their brain waves to 'combat' each other, we realistically co-exist with people who don't want to do this, for whatever reason. They ruin it for the rest of us, so we all 'suffer' collectively.

I tried to be brief. I really did. :/
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 07:37   #32
Aryn
Happy

definitely things to keep in mind

ps. one postcard left.. if no one from AD wants it.. i'll ask GD again (as i'm trying to mail them out tomorrow/monday)

btw.. a question. do you all want us mods to be more visual? in otherwords... would you like us to be participating in discussions more often? or would you rather us just be the 'shadow in the background?'
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 07:43   #33
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
btw.. a question. do you all want us mods to be more visual? in otherwords... would you like us to be participating in discussions more often? or would you rather us just be the 'shadow in the background?'
Please participate! But by this I mean not with sour-spirit replies (sorry KaneED, but you know where I'm coming from on this one) and the sort that would help foster discussion rather than "enforcement replies" (they never worked for me heh) as they just help to shift focus on the original topic to "Nazi Mods" and the like.

Moderator 'involvement' in a discussion has always helped to add some hand-in-hand interaction among users and mods, so it can't hurt. Unless of course a user is outright 'attacking' a moderator for being a moderator. In which case it's up to your discretion.
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 07:53   #34
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
ps. one postcard left..
See pm

I'd like to say how utterly disgusted I am that so many people have gotten away with using the words "Nazi" and even (shock, horror) "Hitler", yet I am left with a strike resulting from the use of such profanity... granted the strike was gained directly from re-editting an editted mod, but I feel that's an unnecessary detail to consider
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 08:25   #35
BetrayerOfHope
InspirationOfNightmares

BetrayerOfHope is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

snip
and again BAN rumad

[23:11] <Zhil|FT> OMG BOH IS THE NEW KILLMARK
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 09:19   #36
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future
/me brings out the best in rumad i guess:P
7 replies from rumad out of 41 total be4 i posted:/ heh...
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 10:07   #37
Sirad
Have D|ck Done Travell

Sirad is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
i don't think we need to close AD
if we did everything would just spill over to GD/PD anyways.

i just think people need to stop being so quick to try and prove themselves.

btw.. i still have 2 postcards left.. any takers?
pm me etc, ta.
send0rme 1 with da kool-aid =D
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 10:19   #38
Dragoon

While I wont contradict your points Rumad, I do feel obligated to mention that you're reading more into my posts than is actually there. I suppose I should be flattered.

Unread 28 Oct 2002, 10:32   #39
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Kjeldoran

Aryn, I rather wanna see such behavior banned then Rumad. Why? well Rumad amongst all the others has the right to post his own opinion on AD. Whether that opinion is BS, or not doesn't really matter. What matters is that, if pple like jester don't like Rumad or his writings, then I found like THE perfect solution: "don't read it"

It really works, maybe you should try it ...

Fact that you say ban person X kinda makes you intollerant, maybe we should ban that from AD?

rgds Kj
I'd be happy if they banned me off this pile of crap.

But seriously, I was making a point. Rumad just happened to be a perfect candidate, he has transgressed the rules one too many times in the recent past (imho).

Quote:
see this is the kind of discussion we had more of :\

anyways.. i agree stricter modding is a good idea.. but honestly.. i've been trying.. and what do i get? i'm called a nazi, hitler, bad mod, plus more personal insults. i've had 3 people thank me for my work.
but i've read a few threads these past days and i see people WANTING the flames/spam to be deleted. i'd love everyone to make up their mind. if you want the flames/spam to stop... then stop insulting me for getting rid of it.

anyways.. /rant.
thank you very much for your insights. no rumad is not going to be banned no matter how much you ask. (unless he breaks rules of course). i have actually come to like him more in the past couple days... i think he's changed for the better. i wish there were more people like him actually. (haha flame me now.. er no.. don't cause i'll just delete it.. HA!)
This is what you say every time. You just don't get it.

Jester
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 12:36   #40
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: what would you like us to discuss?

Quote:

also.. what do you feel about banning all non-playing users?

this is a question that has a simple answer: you should never, ever ban all non-playing users.

These people are the only people capable of a neutral viewpoint, because they aren't playing, there are no consequences to what they post, and they have no planet for people to bring revenge on what they post.

Now I'm out of the game, I've got free licence to post what I wish - I'm not responsible to anyone, bar my friends in game, and friends don't alter my views of alliances from what information I do get to enable me to write an informed response. I'm sure there are other quitters who feel the same. A good example is KR, who is probably one of the best posters on this forum, and I'd probably say even his former critics can stand him nowadays (no doubt they'll assure me this is wrong ).

Neutral posters are few and far between, and they help the rest of planetarion, i.e. those who play hold alliances arguments to account if they are properly informed.

The problem with these forums is that in previous times, an informed response was what was required on AD - since AD became far more accessible to your average peon, this situation has changed, in some ways for the better, in some ways for the worse.
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 13:01   #41
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
Let it run its course, in six months' time it really won't/shouldn't matter.
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 13:05   #42
Aziraphale

Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
Uncontrolled flaming / accusations etc etc.

A thread with nothing but flames stays open way to long on this board.

Said the guy who uses "FAG" instead of "FAnG" (example).

arent we mr. hypocrite oh holy ruler of cheats and lies

Unread 28 Oct 2002, 13:27   #43
[m00]MAX

Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED
Close AD.

Problem solved.

Unread 28 Oct 2002, 16:57   #44
Aryn
Happy

Quote:

This is what you say every time. You just don't get it.

Jester
no, i don't 'get it'
care to explain?
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 17:01   #45
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Ban players complaining of being haxx0red

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 17:50   #46
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aziraphale
Said the guy who uses "FAG" instead of "FAnG" (example).

arent we mr. hypocrite oh holy ruler of cheats and lies
This is a perfect example of the kind of post/user I don't want to read. This account is 'supposedly' a Titans member in 'disguise' so as to "tell the truth" to the community, but it hasn't done anything constructive except troll with stupid flames. I mean seriously, this thread in of itself is about AD, not 'rip on people' (i.e. ParraCida).

Anyone see where I'm coming from and want to go now? :/
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 18:50   #47
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light
In todays world, pleasing everyone is impossible. So go with your instinct and ur judgment. You, the mods, seem like nice people and to be honest you where choosen to do a job so just do it and let all the whiners/complainers deal with it. My only critisicem I would have of you is that your not strict enough.

For instance (this has been mentioned several times) I would never allow any 1-line 'witty' remarks in a thread. Would delete it and give the person a warning. If it happened too often would ban the persons account for 24 hours and see from there.

Threads that have absolutly no bearing on AD I would delete and warn the person that If it happens again they get banned for a short period.

And so on....

Moding is a thankless job, but there are folks like myself that thing you guys are doing a good job, and understand that its frustrating. Do the best you can and please be more stricter and dont take any crap from nobody.

-RexDrax

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 19:38   #48
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute
Why does any of this matter? AD exists, its interesting. If you dont think its interesting, go to Roleplaying or some such forum.

I for one, enjoy AD.
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 19:41   #49
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Quote:
no, i don't 'get it'
care to explain?
I believe I've said this a few times already, but being a dimwitted *******, I'm probably failing miserably to communicate this point: Stricter modding is not better modding.

A well modded community is a happy community.

So what is good modding?

For one, it is not deleting 'bad posts'. If you clean up a thread, the damage is already done. It's not like we can pretend the bad posts didn't exist.

More specifically, we can talk about deletion of threads, closure of threads, deletion of individual posts, suspension of users, banning of users. These tools seem to be used consistently in the wrong situations.

A thread should be deleted if and only if the thread starting post has no valid content and the following discussion is not leading anywhere or showing any signs of leading anywhere.

Example: If a thread is started about the likening of a certain alliance to a certain type of vegetable, then it is a good candidate for deleting.

Too many threads are closed when they should be deleted. If no previous content is enough to justify the existence of the entire thread, then delete the thread. Spam threads, threads with no content (these two often overlap), threads that run rampantly offtopic or are invitations for flamewars are typical candidates for deletion.

The amount of closed threads seems reasonable at the moment, but in at least half the recent cases I've seen they should have been deleted.

Suspension and banning of users is done in a rather idiotic way. A banned or suspended user has to do nothing more than register a new account. Where is the logic? I'm not entirely sure what a better solution would be, as I don't know everything about how the forum is run, but I suspect that pulling the occasional 'pavil'-ban would help.

My major gripe is the illusion that 'cleaning up' threads helps. It doesn't. It is a short term fix for a long term problem. A strategy that showed up not long after the 'strict modding' was enforced was to constantly flame the thread until it was closed. The counter for this was a mod cleaning the entire thread once a day. And that was 'enough'. It was a no-risk strategy, and if a mod didn't close it, then your posts were going to be there and heat the situation needlessly anyway. Moronic behavior is a disease that spreads online, and when you allow it flourish you get situations like what we see today.

There was a time when two mods were enough to manage AD. Believe it or not, the volume of content was similar to that we see today. They were in touch with the community though. Not many of the current mods are 'in touch' with the AD community. This is why we ask for mods from the community every time there's a JonnyBGood or Belgerath promoted. Not because they are necessarily bad mods, but because we expect 'just another bad replacement'. Experience has shown that the community has bred bad mods (hobbie) and that outsiders can be perfectly fine mods (I'll carefully nominate Johnny for this position, but I don't really feel I know enough about where mods come from communitywise to say). We don't want mods that sit in an ivory tower and decide what threads should survive and what shouldn't. Specifically, we don't want thought police. The way the plethora of mods we have today behave is not going to get us anywhere. Censoring away bad posts is more like using a trimmer to get rid of weeds, they'll be gone for a short while, but it'll grow back just as bad.

You goal should not be making the board 'pleasant to look at'. It should be to make the board pleasant to be a part of. And I'm sure that there are more than one way of doing things. Just don't think it starts with asking what people want or by sitting in a hidey hole pretending to know what's best. First of all, people are sheep on the internet. View the 'ban Rumad' thread for proof. I'm sure half of those people wouldn't agree if they were sat in a room with Rumad and myself at the time. So 'forum movements' aren't necessarily intelligent. I'm not going to say they're retarded. It's just a tossup. And it's very hard to know when they're right and when they're wrong. Especially if you're not distanced and objective in the situation.

Maybe AD should become a moderated forum. Where users have to submit their posts to moderation before they're shown. I'm not sure the moderators would appreciate this. Nor am I sure the users would. But it would most definitely solve the basic problem. Unfortunately I suspect that it won't work too nicely with the other forums open. At the very least I think it would have to be applied to PD as well to prevent topic leak.

Miscreants should not be allowed to persevere. That much is certain.

I'd suggest you stop deleting the posts and start editing them to mock the moron that chose to defile our forum.

(And while I've been writing this, RexDrax has shown that he does get it.)

Jester
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 20:43   #50
Aryn
Happy

Quote:
I believe I've said this a few times already, but being a dimwitted *******, I'm probably failing miserably to communicate this point: Stricter modding is not better modding.

i don't think insulting me really helps the issue now does it? i thought you were better than that :\ besides.. at least i'm admitting i don't understand what you mean instead of pretending like i know everything. heh.
Quote:
For one, it is not deleting 'bad posts'. If you clean up a thread, the damage is already done. It's not like we can pretend the bad posts didn't exist.

so you want us just to leave the flames? as you state later, leaving posts such as these only heat the situation further. besides, as a mod i honestly cannot leave something i view as a flame/total spam. i can't explain it, sorta a personal moral thing.
Quote:
a bunch of stuff about thread closure/deletion

yes i agree some threads should be deleted rather than closed. but again.. damned if you do, damned if you don't. almost every time i delete a thread i get pm's asking 'WHY DID YOU DELETE MY THREAD!?!?!?!?!?!' etc. and apparently 'it was full of spam/flames.. discussion heading nowhere' etc aren't good enough excuses. i usually close a thread if there's been a lot of discussion because i know someone will want to wake up and check a certain thread.. and will be upset if they don't find it.
Quote:
Suspension and banning of users is done in a rather idiotic way. A banned or suspended user has to do nothing more than register a new account. Where is the logic? I'm not entirely sure what a better solution would be, as I don't know everything about how the forum is run, but I suspect that pulling the occasional 'pavil'-ban would help.

it will be discussed oh and by the way.. people can't just make a new account.. it has to be approved first. and trust me.. lots of new accounts are being rejected.
Quote:
My major gripe is the illusion that 'cleaning up' threads helps. It doesn't. It is a short term fix for a long term problem.

i agree.. but again.. damned if you do, damned if you don't
Quote:
gripe about mods

unfortunately it's never upto the users to determine who becomes a mod. nuff said really
Quote:
First of all, people are sheep on the internet. View the 'ban Rumad' thread for proof. I'm sure half of those people wouldn't agree if they were sat in a room with Rumad and myself at the time.

people do whatever they think is 'cool' at the time. nothing really i can do about it :\
Quote:
Maybe AD should become a moderated forum. Where users have to submit their posts to moderation before they're shown. I'm not sure the moderators would appreciate this. Nor am I sure the users would. But it would most definitely solve the basic problem.

you yourself are admitting it's a bad idea.. with the amount of traffic AD gets.. and you yourself saying we don't have enough mod coverage.. i don't think people would like having to wait a few hours for their posts to get cleared :\
Quote:
Miscreants should not be allowed to persevere. That much is certain.

aye.. and we'll be discussing it.
Quote:
I'd suggest you stop deleting the posts and start editing them to mock the moron that chose to defile our forum.

i have changed posts to make fun of people 'lo allfather ' and i just get yelled at :\ perhaps if we make it a rule and make it well known that the mods WILL edit people's posts it won't be so bad. but really.. what would you do if i edited your opening line to 'ARYN I LOVE YOU!' i don't think you'd appreciate it very much. it's a touchy subject..and i'll have to go back and look at the rules to see if we could actually get away with doing it. i for one think it would be hilarious.. but i doubt most of the users would.
Quote:
(And while I've been writing this, RexDrax has shown that he does get it.)

Jester
rexdrax said things way differently from you.. i 'get' what rexdrax said.. but i didn't get what you said. *shrug*
you say 'don't delete bad posts' but 'if they stay there they heat the situation'

anyways.. lots of stuff to talk about at the meeting. thanks