User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Mar 2003, 04:00   #101
coza
Banned

coza is an unknown quantity at this point
me has bad rep

<-- coza
coza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 09:42   #102
lizardking
tappajahai!

lizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
Dragons only defend dragons.
How do you get dragons memberlist? See who a few well known dragon planets defend. Why did we own dragons? We had their memberlist. How did we get their memberlist?

oh right.
heh

I sure hope u didn't add sum of ur alliance m8s on that list when I deffed them few times (before Furries went down).

Btw does it make u a Dragon expert when u find couple of coords? I'm sure u managed to keep ur own pretty savely hidden too ;-)

<[eX]MacTAnzu> u playing in the.. what was it.. game.planetarion.com ? or in pirate.planetarion.com ?

Ğragons

eX undercover Nihilum HC (thx to bwtmc)
lizardking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 11:58   #103
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Ahriman
I disagree with this, as a relative newbie in r3 would have been impossible for me to join Legion, Fury or RB (and I wasn't so hot on my botmaking skillz ). The only difference between then and now is that new players are probably being introduced to PA by current players (I know I just got 2 new players to sign up for r9). So perhaps this is the climate in which it becomes easy to enter that aspect of the community. My point being that if you know someone who's 'in' then it's a lot easier to get 'in' yourself.

As soon as you're into one relatively large alliance you have a massive increase in potential for joining others, but to enter that first alliance is a lot more difficult than you suggest, a lot of it is luck; ie. who you get to know in your galaxy/cluster etc. and that's where full random galaxies could speed up the process of bringing more new players into large alliances. That's a little off-topic though.
yes, but I was thinking more in the line of a player changing nick and identity to then join an alliance to "leak" etc ...

That was the discussion, I thought, and thus I figured that someone like that, pretending to be new, "knows" which pple to contact and to be friends with etc ...

rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 13:27   #104
BetrayerOfHope
InspirationOfNightmares

BetrayerOfHope is an unknown quantity at this point
a simple peon makes in my eyes no real difference but when somebody join in as additonal for the hc or officer team it makes a difference at some points. for example if i would see rumad joining my alliance and come into an officer or hc possition i would think seriously about leaving

[23:11] <Zhil|FT> OMG BOH IS THE NEW KILLMARK
BetrayerOfHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 14:28   #105
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kjeldoran
yes, but I was thinking more in the line of a player changing nick and identity to then join an alliance to "leak" etc ...

That was the discussion, I thought, and thus I figured that someone like that, pretending to be new, "knows" which pple to contact and to be friends with etc ...
Ok, I misinterpretted what you meant then. In that case I think that gauging personlity is a key element of recruiting; if a potential member is deemed dishonest enough to be prepared to lie to their alliance to get a friend of a calibre below the threshold of the alliance, then that person is a crap member. Titans performed interviews with all applicants, as most top alliances do, so hopefully this was instrumental in reducing the potential of including dishonest members to begin with, thus reducing the chance of bringing in 'fakes'.

I think that Parra's method of checking to see when the nick was created on Netgamers would screw this method further though, as it would have to be planned quite far ahead of time. The other possibility is having a Netgamers oper(/helper?) alter the date of registration. I'm not sure how workable the second method would be, I don't really know any personally so for me it would be quite difficult to pull off.
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 14:53   #106
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Ok, I misinterpretted what you meant then. In that case I think that gauging personlity is a key element of recruiting; if a potential member is deemed dishonest enough to be prepared to lie to their alliance to get a friend of a calibre below the threshold of the alliance, then that person is a crap member. Titans performed interviews with all applicants, as most top alliances do, so hopefully this was instrumental in reducing the potential of including dishonest members to begin with, thus reducing the chance of bringing in 'fakes'.

I think that Parra's method of checking to see when the nick was created on Netgamers would screw this method further though, as it would have to be planned quite far ahead of time. The other possibility is having a Netgamers oper(/helper?) alter the date of registration. I'm not sure how workable the second method would be, I don't really know any personally so for me it would be quite difficult to pull off.
exactly as you stated Ahri, REDUCING ...

you can reduce the risk to a minimum, but you can never remove the treat. That's my point and it is valid for all alliances, even Fury who had imo the hardest recruiting procedure.

and about parra checking nicks, I'll give an example: I have another nick regged since the start of r7 and I doubt more then 10 pple know that nick (they KNOW the nick but hardly anybody can link it with me). I did it for cluster issues etc and thus I can even prove I have a history and such

I also tell you that I haven't abused it to join an alliance and get info etc, but I'm sure others have the same and might abuse it

rgds Kj

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 6 Mar 2003, 17:22   #107
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

you can reduce the risk to a minimum, but you can never remove the treat. That's my point and it is valid for all alliances, even Fury who had imo the hardest recruiting procedure.

and about parra checking nicks, I'll give an example: I have another nick regged since the start of r7 and I doubt more then 10 pple know that nick (they KNOW the nick but hardly anybody can link it with me). I did it for cluster issues etc and thus I can even prove I have a history and such

I also tell you that I haven't abused it to join an alliance and get info etc, but I'm sure others have the same and might abuse it

rgds Kj

rgds Kj
I know Kj, hard as it is to believe I was acutally agreeing with the main body of your statements. It had occured to me that some people might keep their fake nicks from earlier rounds, but I could never be bothered. Damn. How will I ever fulfill my PA-lifelong dream and get into NoS now

And signing your post twice?? You have to be taking the piss
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 00:23   #108
Kill
Banned

Kill is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by logbat
blah
So says my former "friend".

Sorry to hear about your grandmother though.

Killmark

Omen Incorporated CEO

Heresy CEO [=H=]
"Born of Heresy"

<milkey> its four am ..
<milkey> youre freaking crazy
<Killmark> 4.20
<Killmark>
<milkey> dont matter
<Killmark> i need roidies!
Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 01:23   #109
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
I know Kj
lol, yes it's Kj, not Kjel

Quote:
And signing your post twice?? You have to be taking the piss
lol, I just noticed .... sorry

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 Mar 2003, 03:30   #110
SpazMonster
No, really...

SpazMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
Dragons only defend dragons.
How do you get dragons memberlist? See who a few well known dragon planets defend. Why did we own dragons? We had their memberlist. How did we get their memberlist?

oh right.
In their defence, Jurgen did use dragons to cover me (a gal m8) a few times last round when I wasn't around to cover my own arse. I'm pretty sure I wasn't a dragon
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 13:36   #111
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:

rgds Kj

rgds Kj
Fury wasnt that hard really - the only difference between Fury and others was time. Getting a spy into Fury was to do with going through Wrath which took time. Wrath should have been harder to get into and if I had the time or resources to do such a thing I probably would have done it.

I would say LDK, Titans and other smallish elitist alliances had a much easier time than Fury, Xanadu or Legion ever did. Going by FLTTV in r7 I would say Legion was the most leaky, whilst Fury/Titans were the most secure.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 14:50   #112
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
Fury wasnt that hard really - the only difference between Fury and others was time. Getting a spy into Fury was to do with going through Wrath which took time. Wrath should have been harder to get into and if I had the time or resources to do such a thing I probably would have done it.

I would say LDK, Titans and other smallish elitist alliances had a much easier time than Fury, Xanadu or Legion ever did. Going by FLTTV in r7 I would say Legion was the most leaky, whilst Fury/Titans were the most secure.
maybe "hard" was a wrong formulation. I meant, Fury recruiting policy was imo the most efficient one (thx to Wrath ofc) and thus making it harder as a "spy" to get into Fury.

Still, I wouldn't say it's impossible

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 Mar 2003, 14:53   #113
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
I agree, eventhough FAnG's recruiting policy in r7 wasn't bad, it was our weakest point in the alliance. Results of these were pple like Glimmer leaving for Virus to protect their score/roids when the war inside FFLTV started. The recruiting policy is also made to keep such pple out, but with FAnG we sometimes "screwed up" when it came to secure recruiting.

Apart from those mistakes (which we learnt from) we didn't had many leaks, atleast not major ones.

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community