User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 11:49   #1
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
Who is the best?

I havent played PA in a while and just wondered who is the best alliance now days? It used to be Fury and Legion, but who now? When I sign up again I want to be in the best alliance you see. Thx.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 11:53   #2
Arbac
Yuba stalks me

Arbac has a little shameless behaviour in the past
ummmm .......
yah .... sorrry .... can't resist

I am the best alliance .... join me

sue me or something.
* Arbac jumps on elusion
* Arbac stabs elusion all over
<Arbac> lick that bastard!
<elusion> hey licking is sweet :/
<elusion> it's a way of showing affection stabbing is not a way of showing affection
<elusion> stabbing is a way of a psychotic murderer :/
Arbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 12:10   #3
Ap0k
Spritely:

Ap0k is an unknown quantity at this point
you don't find us.

we find you.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 12:18   #4
WipeOut
Playboy

WipeOut is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Who is the best?

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashTester
I havent played PA in a while and just wondered who is the best alliance now days? It used to be Fury and Legion, but who now? When I sign up again I want to be in the best alliance you see. Thx.
READ the boards, its what they are there for. Form your own opinion, speak to people on IRC, but for God's sake, don't create another propaganda platfrom.

Close this thread.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 12:24   #5
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Re: Re: Who is the best?

Quote:
Originally posted by WipeOut
READ the boards, its what they are there for. Form your own opinion, speak to people on IRC, but for God's sake, don't create another propaganda platfrom.

Close this thread.
It annoys me too when people can't be arsed to just skim a few threads. There was a really good one about a week ago. *goes to find it*

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 12:26   #6
RealJames
Retired at the top

Read this thread.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 12:29   #7
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
The 'winners' of last round disbanded. No alliance can claim to be the best in PA atm.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 12:32   #8
WipeOut
Playboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
The 'winners' of last round disbanded. No alliance can claim to be the best in PA atm.
Aye.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 12:33   #9
RealJames
Retired at the top

Quote:
As did those of the previous round etc etc. Let's not have another one of those threads. It's getting dull.

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 12:37   #10
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
I never thought I'd live to see Scouse use quotes in this context.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 12:37   #11
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
agreed

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 12:45   #12
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
If I was an alliance HC, I would not let anybody join who had made a thread like this on AD. Part of the joining criteria for me would be the ability to find out for yourself who we were, and judge for yourself which one is best FOR YOU. The alliances at this stage when compared can be judged to be nothing other than different. None can really be said to be better than others (of the major alliances) with any basis. And alliance that is good for me, may not be good for you, so asking here achieves nothing, unless you just want to join the winning alliance for all the glory, which gives the impression of an alliance hopper, and someone in for the wrong reasons, and someone who won't stand firm through the tough times. That is another reason why, if I were an HC, I would refuse people who made threads like this.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 13:30   #13
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future
All very well but I HAVENT played FOR A WHILE and since the game IS NOT RUNNING right now, I cannot see what ALLIANCE BANNERS people are displaying to show who they belong to. It was a SIMPLE QUESTION asking for a few names to be put forward and people OPINIONS on who is the best alliance at the moment.

It was a REALLY EASY QUESTION!!

Call it FINDING OUT FOR MYSELF if you like.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 13:50   #14
WipeOut
Playboy

Quote:

Which you could have answered REALLY EASY by reading a few threads.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 13:51   #15
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
All very well but I HAVENT played FOR A WHILE and since the game IS NOT RUNNING right now, I cannot see what ALLIANCE BANNERS people are displaying to show who they belong to. It was a SIMPLE QUESTION asking for a few names to be put forward and people OPINIONS on who is the best alliance at the moment.

Well, you could just READ OTHER THREADS

Also though, if you are doing it from a perspective of wishing to join, if you haven't been around for a while, and don't have alliance contacts (which I assume you don't hence why you are asking here), then you may as well go to the alliance recruiting forum. As far as I know, none of the major alliances will let you in without some vouches, and you won't get those through board posting, onlty through playing with people.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:00   #16
CrashTester
I am an idiot

I'll level with you. I am dyslexic and find a lot of reading really heavy going. I can get by most of the time but still have to spend a lot of time checking words against a dictionary even for this small paragraph (sp?)

To read huge chunks of text is time consuming or I have to aski others to read for me which I cant always do.

I seem to remember when I played peopel were more freindly and helpful.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:00   #17
RealJames
Retired at the top

Quote:
Go and find out for yourself then.

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:01   #18
WipeOut
Playboy

Quote:
I'll level with you. I am dyslexic and find a lot of reading really heavy going. I can get by most of the time but still have to spend a lot of time checking words against a dictionary even for this small paragraph (sp?)

To read huge chunks of text is time consuming or I have to aski others to read for me which I cant always do.
You're not a WP member by any chance?
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:03   #19
RealJames
Retired at the top

Quote:

I seem to remember when I played peopel were more freindly and helpful.
I sympathise, but it may have worked better in your favour if you'd started with that. Coming on appearing lazy and abusing your caps-lock key isn't the best way to get favours.

btw why not read Alliance Recruitment? It would seem like a good place to look for an alliance.

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:27   #20
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by RealJames
As did those of the previous round etc etc. Let's not have another one of those threads. It's getting dull.
Fury didn't disband after rd 7. I meant no malice by my comment. It's 100% true.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 16:25   #21
Obfuscator
Antediluvian

Obfuscator is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
This doesn't logically follow. If the winners of the last round disbanded, that doesn't mean that no one can claim to be the best, it just means that the best claim to that status would pass on down to the runners-up from last round. If THEY disbanded, it would pass on down to the 3rd place alliance, and so on. You might argue that just who took 2nd or 3rd, or 727th place is even less clear than who won, but that would be an entirely different argument.
Reduco ad Honore [RaH] r8
Obfuscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 17:01   #22
RealJames
Retired at the top

Quote:
Fury didn't disband after rd 7. I meant no malice by my comment. It's 100% true.
I didn't say there was, but some people are so bored with PA that they'll happily fill a few hours and a thread Fury flaming.

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 17:27   #23
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
In a probably futile attempt to answer the original question in this thread, in my opinion Olympians is the single 'best' alliance out there at the moment. However their political situation leaves something to be desired. I think Eclipse is the 'best' if you take the accompanying blocks etc into account.

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 17:42   #24
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Re: Who is the best?

Quote:
Originally posted by WipeOut
READ the boards, its what they are there for.
You don't learn a sh*t reading the forums nowadays. It's only propaganda spread in here by people who don't have much more to do, just like me now, I have nothing to do so I took a look in AD if there was any new "news". I gotta stop

I'm not talking to you Wipey hehe

Last edited by Nadar; 26 Feb 2003 at 17:50.
Nadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 18:11   #25
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by Rumad
There is no best or most elite, just where you are happy.
Actually, I think you're completely wrong there. PA is a war game where people put in so much effort to win. It's not a keep everyone happy game where we should care about the effect we have on others.

That, however, is a complete different discussion, so I won't post anymore about it here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Obfuscator
This doesn't logically follow. If the winners of the last round disbanded, that doesn't mean that no one can claim to be the best, it just means that the best claim to that status would pass on down to the runners-up from last round. If THEY disbanded, it would pass on down to the 3rd place alliance, and so on. You might argue that just who took 2nd or 3rd, or 727th place is even less clear than who won, but that would be an entirely different argument.
But the new alliances may be better than the remaining alliances from last round. I think we have this possibility atm in PA, and so we can't say ViruS is the best alliance in the game atm, because the chances are that Olympians and Eclipse may be better.

If we were talking about the most proven then I'd agree with you, and so ViruS would be the best alliance, since Oly and Eclipse haven't proved themselves yet.

For sheer player skill and member dedication I'd say Olympians are the best alliance atm, without a doubt. That's not including politics or command, or anything else. Including everything you could maybe say Eclipse.

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 18:30   #26
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Sad to say, but this thread was always going to turn into a flame-war.

Edit: thread cleaned up and re-opened \o/
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”

Last edited by ComradeRob; 26 Feb 2003 at 18:49.
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 19:50   #27
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Scouse that is YOUR view and YOUR OPINION, however I do not play like taht and i have no intention of playing to be "1337"

I get my kicks from playing with ppl I enjoy being with and working as a team.

I can be 1st, 10th or 100th for that and it will still make no difference.

1337 will always be based on YOUR perception of elite - if you wanna play to win, cheat and be an arse thats your perrogative. I will alwyas play to play with friends and to do as well as we can - if it was just about playing to win i would have quit a long long time ago.
It's possible to do all of that and still win.

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 20:29   #28
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Scouse that is YOUR view and YOUR OPINION, however I do not play like taht and i have no intention of playing to be "1337"
The thread starter asked which is the best alliance, and quoted Fury/Legion as examples of 'the best'. Without the thread starter stating whether he was seeking the best community (which has been debatably on offer from plenty of alliances over the round, so I find it hard to believe that this is what he was requesting) or the best alliance from a winning-the-round perspective.

I think that the chance is greater that he was asking from the winning-the-round perspective, making Scouse' replies entirely accurate, and yours nothing more than a sidenote.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 20:48   #29
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
Since I'm such a nice guy, I'll offer some suggestions on the 'best' alliance for the thread starter.

In alphabetical order:
  • Eclipse
  • Elysium
  • FAnG
  • NoS
  • Olympians
  • RaH
  • ViruS
Note that Eclipse (derived from a number of alliances including Deus, Fury, Xanadu and others) and Olympians (derived from Titans and LDK) are as yet untried alliances. Also noting for comedic value that I would sooner see Rumad dance than join 2 of the above mentioned alliances.

[Edit: Madcows may or may not be one of the best]

And in reply to Rumad, I didn't mention 'elite', my only comment was that Scouse' post was more relevant to the thread starter's question than yours. Sidenotes are part of discussion, but not specifically relevant to the original question, hence my description of your post(s).

Last edited by Ahriman; 26 Feb 2003 at 21:27.
Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 21:12   #30
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Top gals are made to win so never the twain will meet.

NOTE: When i say top gal I mean top 5 in a non random universe.
That's entirely the feeling I got from the people in Camelot in round 4. Really. They weren't some of the friendliest poeple I've had the pleasure of meeting on PAnet. Nope. Not at all.

And here are some other

<@Agamemnon> 16:23 was made cuz people knew eachother
<@Agamemnon> nothing else
[Ed. comment: We all know 16:23 were gits once they got started though]

<@Cochese> madcows main galaxy was 7th round 6, close enough...and they were certainly friendly

<@Degrees> 23.23 was friendly

I think I've disproved your notion that a gal in the top5 position need be an elitist bunch of bastards. I'd also say that I've seen plenty of galaxies go into the round thinking they were headed for top5 land and fallen to pieces because they weren't built up of friends, but rather gimps who thought they'd found recipes for 'perfect' gals.

To answer the thread poster:

The current elite alliances are Eclipse and Olympians. Both alliances have players who have previously proven they have what it takes to perform well in adverse conditions.

Madcows are an outsider alliance who I think have a lot of potential. I've seen their players in action and they have the relaxed, yet professional attitude it takes to succeed.

Jester
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 21:13   #31
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
i am not sure whether this comment is naivety or just complete rubbish.
Keep on digging, old boy.

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 21:30   #32
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Jester

I think I've disproved your notion that a gal in the top5 position need be an elitist bunch of bastards. I'd also say that I've seen plenty of galaxies go into the round thinking they were headed for top5 land and fallen to pieces because they weren't built up of friends, but rather gimps who thought they'd found recipes for 'perfect' gals.

20:20 consisted of 8 people who knew eachother in real life.
Knight Theamion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 23:04   #33
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Thats rather silly and certainly isnt logical.

But it has nothing to do with the "winnners" from last round. Even if they were still around there is no reason to assume that winners are always the best alliance. Nos and WP certainly werent the best allainces going into rd 7.

Its quite impossible to tell who the best allainces will be. Eclipse and Oly are huge players, yet they could both crumble. They are untested on many levels.

I dont blame the creator of this thread, the information he is seeking is NOT in other threads. Because no one knows the answer.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 23:07   #34
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
As far as good galaxies, M&S was built off a core that worked together for many rounds and new people brought in were done so based on fitting into the team as much as anything.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 23:21   #35
Obfuscator
Antediluvian

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Thats rather silly and certainly isnt logical.

But it has nothing to do with the "winnners" from last round. Even if they were still around there is no reason to assume that winners are always the best alliance. Nos and WP certainly werent the best allainces going into rd 7.

Its quite impossible to tell who the best allainces will be. Eclipse and Oly are huge players, yet they could both crumble. They are untested on many levels.
As Scouse and I already clarified personally, all I was attempting to show was that these alliances would certainly have the best CLAIM to being the best going in to the next round, barring catastrophic between-round failures. You certainly can disagree with me on specifics, but I think the general rule would hold.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 23:36   #36
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
As Scouse and I already clarified personally, all I was attempting to show was that these alliances would certainly have the best CLAIM to being the best going in to the next round, barring catastrophic between-round failures. You certainly can disagree with me on specifics, but I think the general rule would hold.
going into r8 though, yoiu'd have to say the alliance most likely to suceed would be Adelante. They had a big, famous and strong memberbase, hc and officers with bags of experience and good political relations. And look what happened to them...

i'm not disregarding your comment, but i don't honestly think any alliance that has never functioned in an active war, as that alliance, with those commanders, officers and members could make any valid claim of being the best...
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 23:44   #37
BetrayerOfHope
InspirationOfNightmares

BetrayerOfHope is an unknown quantity at this point
[edit]Useless spam post that should be a bannable offense. - Jester[/edit]

[23:11] <Zhil|FT> OMG BOH IS THE NEW KILLMARK

Last edited by Jester; 26 Feb 2003 at 23:50.
BetrayerOfHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 00:29   #38
K-W
Bored

Quote:
And I as I stated, they certainly wouldnt have the best claim. The top allainces in a round are generallly the allainces in the winning block. Very rarely do the same people win two rounds in a row. Rank has little to do with who the best allaicnes are, especially after you get past the top one or two.

Look at the Fury/Legion/Xanadu Era. In those rounds at least one of those allainces was always poorly ranked at the end of the round, yet those were always the top 3 allainces going into any round.
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 01:31   #39
Fred of Bedrock

Fred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura about
Cavemen will 0wn you all and is the best ofc
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 01:40   #40
logbat

logbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred of Bedrock
Cavemen will 0wn you all and is the best ofc
hehe fred dont tell me you have started an alliance with cavemens onely???
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 03:01   #41
Obfuscator
Antediluvian

Quote:
Originally posted by Cicada
going into r8 though, yoiu'd have to say the alliance most likely to suceed would be Adelante. They had a big, famous and strong memberbase, hc and officers with bags of experience and good political relations. And look what happened to them...

i'm not disregarding your comment, but i don't honestly think any alliance that has never functioned in an active war, as that alliance, with those commanders, officers and members could make any valid claim of being the best...
Could be me, but I certainly didn't think Adelante were the best alliance going into r8.

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
And I as I stated, they certainly wouldnt have the best claim. The top allainces in a round are generallly the allainces in the winning block. Very rarely do the same people win two rounds in a row. Rank has little to do with who the best allaicnes are, especially after you get past the top one or two.
Look at the Fury/Legion/Xanadu Era. In those rounds at least one of those allainces was always poorly ranked at the end of the round, yet those were always the top 3 allainces going into any round.
Why do you suppose, Germania, that someone different wins each round? Could be perhaps, that the other alliances decide to band together to make sure that they DON'T win 2 rounds in a row? Why do you suppose they would do this if they didn't view the incumbent winner as the better? Afterall, if they honestly thought they or someone else was better than the incumbent, they wouldn't form blocks to fight them, would they?

I know this is a vastly oversimplified view, but the bottom line is that the best CLAIM to being the best before a round even starts is generally going to default to the team that won the last round. If you don't get this, I don't think I can possibly explain it to you.
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 03:30   #42
Norseman
4ever a Snuggly Bunny

Norseman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Could be me, but I certainly didn't think Adelante were the best alliance going into r8.
Adelante had an incredible amount of ppl inside top100 the first weeks when things (from my completely inactive point of view) worked as it should.

The potential were huge, but like in the rl world - a soccerteam containing only the very best players would most likely fail if no other considerations were made - every part in the machine must function perfectly and be well oiled. Theory and practice doesnt allways match and as we all know; the feature can never be fully forseened.

(ps. ive only read a few lines of what youve written earlier, i might be totally of topic)
R3: 111:17
R4: 2:15 Elysium
R5: 1:5 Elysium
R6: 24:16 Elysium
R8: 28:?? Adelante
Retired & vanished

Last edited by Norseman; 27 Feb 2003 at 03:35.
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 12:10   #43
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Ahriman
-snip-
ChaoZ

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 14:04   #44
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
Originally posted by Fifth_teletubbie
In a probably futile attempt to answer the original question in this thread, in my opinion Olympians is the single 'best' alliance out there at the moment. However their political situation leaves something to be desired. I think Eclipse is the 'best' if you take the accompanying blocks etc into account.
You are contradicting yourself here - an alliance has to be judged all-round, you cannot say "Alliance X is the best - but if you include factor Y then alliance Z is the best". Alliance quality is down to overall things, including political situations that THEY got themselves.
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 14:38   #45
K-W
Bored

Quote:

Why do you suppose, Germania, that someone different wins each round? Could be perhaps, that the other alliances decide to band together to make sure that they DON'T win 2 rounds in a row? Why do you suppose they would do this if they didn't view the incumbent winner as the better? Afterall, if they honestly thought they or someone else was better than the incumbent, they wouldn't form blocks to fight them, would they?

I know this is a vastly oversimplified view, but the bottom line is that the best CLAIM to being the best before a round even starts is generally going to default to the team that won the last round. If you don't get this, I don't think I can possibly explain it to you.
Good gracious. People tend to gang up on the allaince that won the round because winning a round requires getting alot of roids. You get those roids by taking them from others. THose others dont like losing roids, and want revenge on those that took them from them.

It has nothing to do with who is the best alliance.

I get what you are saying, you are just not making a good point. Now please explain to me the examples ive given that clearly disprove what youve said.

1. WP/NOS rd 6, they won the round and Nobody saw them as the best allaince, or even one fo the best allainces going into rd 7.

2. Fury, Legion, Xan were always considered the top 3 allaicnes in rounds where at least one of them was always not among the top allainces.

Clearly it made no difference who won, allaince strength is judged by many factors, previous round rank being just one. Why you insist that one factor that is not extremely corralated to relative allaince strength is by far the most important factor is beyond me.
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 14:56   #46
LeviUK
Galley Slave

LeviUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpio
ChaoZ
no

Planetarion Amateur since round 4.
LeviUK is offline   Reply With Quote