User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 5 Nov 2002, 18:18   #1
Duke Leto
Semper Facundus

Duke Leto is on a distinguished road
A sad truth about PA alliances...

Over the 8 rounds of playing planetarion, 6 of those being in a command position for a smaller alliance, I have the ability to comment on one of the grating realities of PA.

It seems no matter how a round progresses, planetarion players are usually in it for themselves. PA players who have large scores compared to their alliances often gravitate to the larger alliances, creating a vacuum between the small and the large.

This has been the case over the last 6 rounds of pa that I have seen. Players who do well seem to use the small alliances as a launching pad to get into more elite and competitive larger alliances... and thus the world of PA often ends up revolving around maybe 4-6 large alliances, as they suck in all the best players.

Some alliances have resisted this pull, but even hirr has lost many of its best and brightest to the likes of Fury, Legion, Xanadu and others...

Myself I have no regrets for staying where I have been all my career... hirr forever...

What are your roots? Why did you make the leap? Do any of you have regrets over leaving comrades and friends in smaller alliances?

Leto

R1 - noob
R2 - hirr
R3 - hirr BC
R4 - hirr HC
R5 - hirr HC
R6 - hirr HC
R7 - hirr Senate
R8 - hirr Drug Czar and Pimp Daddy
R9- Manager of "Pron for Homeless" program
R10- Actually gettin some while you suckas played PA
R11- hirr ambassador to Iraq
R12- hirr Minister of Propaganda & "Keeper of the Treats"
Duke Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 18:20   #2
Torz
Up yours

Torz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud of
friends are always friends if they are in your alliance or not. I've moved alliance when I've felt that I've done all I could there or didn't fit in. It is a game and I think it's good to sample every part of it

(my poor excuse for somewhat alliance hopping)
Torz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 18:30   #3
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
It's the same in lots of walks of life. People want to do as well as possible, and if they put the effort in to do well then they should reap the benefits that come with it.

I don't regret any alliance 'moving' I've done since round 1.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 18:32   #4
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
What about players (depending on when they began playing Planetarion) who were secluded in alliance experience? In my case, I was for good or for evil, 'brought up' entirely in the influence of Legion. In all honesty, it was the only alliance I ever knew, the only people I was constantly surrounded by, and the only alliance that was without a doubt 'home' and 'family' to me. I feel that had my account in Round 2 landed say, in a BlueTuba galaxy, or perhaps a BDU galaxy, I could just as easily been with those alliances for as long as they existed.

I think it's about the people, the players, as you've said Leto. I don't think the competative edge in 'Jonny and Jenny Players want to win' has been lost since Round 1, but that 'Jonny and Jenny Players' were able to be just as, if not more, successful in Rounds 5 through 7 without an alliance as 'Andy and Amanda Players.'

I've heard KR touch on this before, but Andy and Amanda Players have strong ties to their alliances 'above all else.' But those are dwindling. Well, the whole game is dwindling, but you see my point.

I think we all know an 'Andy' and a 'Jonny' and both have their way of playing PA. But statistically, there are more Jonnies in gaming, they want to win. If that means hopping up (or down) to an alliance that is potentially a better contender than their current alliance, they'll do it.

As an Andy, I wouldn't want them in my alliance anyway, for fear they'd ditch me when I needed them most.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 18:50   #5
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold
i was in tps, a smaller alliance at the beginning (round3).

i found many friends there but i wanted something "bigger" "better" etc. i joined in round 4 g-ii what is the best ally i was in, besides VisioN now ofc ;-).

g-ii was really great but in round 5 we were slaughtered and activity dropped alot. i joined wp then and in round 7 i started more or less my own alliance.

why did i changed ? it was because i never felt really at home in these alliances. i found in those 3 many friends but it wasnt like staying there forever..sadly :/.

now i feel at home , since round 7 i found my home and now pa is dead :/

i think there are 2 reasons for being in an alliance like there are 2 kind of players. some play for fun and friends mostly (only or wotever) and if they friends are all in one alliance they will stay there too. the others are playing more for success of their own planet/gal/alliance and those try to join the bigger alliances. (wot isnt always the best)

i think everyone needs to find for himself the best way.
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 18:56   #6
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold
Saw a lot of our good players leaving Virus to join Legion, Fury and ReBorn during round 3. I took a hike as well, joined NewDawn, simply because HC was turning Virus into a mess
But, my loyalty to Grim got me back to Xanadu at the end of the round . Loyalty towards Grim then changed into loyalty towards Xanadu as an alliance. I think that became a bit too obvious in round 6, when I was playing for NewDawn once again

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 18:57   #7
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
i found my home in rock and never felt the need to go join a bigger alliance primarily because i enjoyed the community spirit that we have in rock ,

although i have never considered myself as one of the elite players that the bigger alliances sought to recruit it never crossed my mind to move , mind u did get a cpl of offers before this rd started

/me wonders can i add 1337 to my sig now?

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 19:00   #8
Coaxmetal
Ensign!

Coaxmetal is on a distinguished road
SL (honestly.. who didn't start out there?) - quit when lanta left for legion ---> NFU and The Collective - quit when they disbanded --> Titans.

A typical pa career I think.. startet on the bottom and progressed. And imho you are in the alliance with people having the same goals as yourself. There is no point being in a n00b alliance if you are aiming for the top 100.
Coaxmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 19:09   #9
BOB_LOST
Banned

BOB_LOST is an unknown quantity at this point
well started off rnd 1 as lost an allince i started played rnd 1 2 and 3 as lost hc end of rnd 3 biggdogg and fred kept on me and finally whore me down to join WP end of rnd 4 went to legion with the rest of the better WP players and um been there till they disbaned
had fun on all accts still always helped my lost freinds when i chould either by takeing them with me or wathcing out for them best i chould your frist allince is always your baby
BOB_LOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 19:29   #10
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
I moved from ICD to Elysium after refusing to defend against Elysium. I would have lost Elysium's protection for my galaxy in r5 (pre-backstab) and had to sacrifice my honour to protect my galaxy (I was GC).

It was a very hard decision to make actually, and I wasn't at all happy to do it. But I did it, and the regret caused by my action in turn affected how I responded when Legion backstabbed Elysium, and when Fury declared war on Titans; without that regret I might not have been so fundementally loyal to my alliance later in the game.

I am still disgusted with myself for it, though even given the chance, I'd still do the exact same thing.

It was lucky that I wasn't GC in r7 (or perhaps unlucky, considering my final score).
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 20:08   #11
Axis_WLF

Axis_WLF is an unknown quantity at this point
torx = rocked end of r3 and r4

Started in BT but BT was to overbloated , extremely nap Happy. So after and offer from the freshly split from conc VtS I joined them as they seemed eager to fight and prove something. My friends were still in Tuba and not to happy with me leaving but they eventually got over it as they to in the rounds to come slowly joined Legion/Fury/Reborn
r2 9:23:1 Axis_WLF of Kadan : Blluetuba/Legion
r3 6:24:1 Axis_WLF of kadan : Legion/WolfPack
r4 201:15:1 Octavian of Ostia : Wolfpack
r5 13:6:2 Sun Tzu of Art of War : Legion Command
r6 33:13:?? : Legion Command
r7 15:19:12 Unknown soldier run over by a wagon : Legion Command
R8: 28:8:9 Niccolo Machiavelli of Revera Legatus : TITAN COMMAND BC
R12 ??:??:?? 1up Military Officer
Axis_WLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 21:08   #12
Handsome Sailor
Turbojugend

Handsome Sailor is an unknown quantity at this point
#1 : Not staying with ViruS till this day
#2 : As i did leave ViruS -> Not joining Fury in R4.
#3 : Not joining Fury......

Alliance wise CELL & nG were a tragedy to me, but they had the best community ive seen! FAnG ruined what i liked bout nG :/
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 22:10   #13
ironhell
Gifted

ironhell is an unknown quantity at this point
I started in Lost in round 3 because a few of my galaxy mates were in it. It was kinda crap so i moved to an easier to communicate allience, TFD, dutchies only. Stayed there round the remaining and a part of round 4, but i wanted more, so i joined Fury start round 4, and left end round 5 due to rl, havent played since then...

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
There was only one galaxy we couldn't seem to break (lo ironhell)
r3 11:14
r4 130:12
r5 25:20
r6 39:9
ironhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 22:35   #14
Lerxst
baka.

Lerxst is an unknown quantity at this point
Was MI in R3, then joined NoS in R4. Stayed there through good and bad. It's because of friends I have in there and the feeling of found a "home" in PA where I am welcomed. I think this applies to most of the "comfy" players like me - in each alliance you can make friends and hence stay there until the universe collapses. Also, I had my little bunch of friends (or BG if you like to call these 10 core-members like that) who also were either NoS or unaffiliated. I never aimed for a "l33ter"-BG - we were efficient enough. I think I can be categorised as an "Andy" (like HR4 said). Tbh - this is my first name
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 22:54   #15
Norseman
4ever a Snuggly Bunny

Norseman is an unknown quantity at this point
I stayed through thick and thin and remained loyal as long as the alliance felt like the right place to be in

when the tide changed and the picture inside my head no longer matched with reality.. I had no problems what so ever to leap - as what once was, no longer existed
R3: 111:17
R4: 2:15 Elysium
R5: 1:5 Elysium
R6: 24:16 Elysium
R8: 28:?? Adelante
Retired & vanished
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 23:00   #16
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough
I miss being LOST heh
I don't regret my moves though.
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 23:07   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I always had a thing against the biggest alliances. In the end to get anywhere even remotely good I had to join up with some of them in some form though. I miss the old days when big alliances fought big alliances and small alliances small ones. In retrospect I wish I'd stayed until the end of r5 as some of the guys i played with then i had been mates with since back in r3 days.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 23:28   #18
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I regret not being Fury during the TE war.

Apart from that - I dont regret my alliance loyalties whatever (being just Fury) and would glady repeat my one track record.

If anything I wish I had been more active during round 3.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 23:29   #19
Obfuscator
Antediluvian

Obfuscator is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A sad truth about PA alliances...

Quote:
Originally posted by Duke Leto
Over the 8 rounds of playing planetarion, 6 of those being in a command position for a smaller alliance, I have the ability to comment on one of the grating realities of PA.

It seems no matter how a round progresses, planetarion players are usually in it for themselves. PA players who have large scores compared to their alliances often gravitate to the larger alliances, creating a vacuum between the small and the large.

This has been the case over the last 6 rounds of pa that I have seen. Players who do well seem to use the small alliances as a launching pad to get into more elite and competitive larger alliances... and thus the world of PA often ends up revolving around maybe 4-6 large alliances, as they suck in all the best players.
The same thing happened to TE and to Nemesis, so you are hardly alone in this observation. No matter what we did, and how well we were doing, there were always some excellent members that refused to stay put if they were doing better than the alliance average. It puts the smaller alliances in a perpetual status of trying to maintain their size and quality, without ever being able to grow. It's one of my pet peeves about PA.

Quote:
Originally posted by Duke Leto
What are your roots? Why did you make the leap? Do any of you have regrets over leaving comrades and friends in smaller alliances?
My roots started when I joined TE in round 2, one of my RL friends being in the same galaxy as Tasha, the then-Wing Commander of Phantom Fighters wing of TE. I stayed with TE until we (myself and the other HC) voted unanimously to disband the alliance in round 4. I joined instinct for a brief time, while it was in its infancy, but rapidly found myself very much not-at-home there. I stayed out of alliances entirely in round 5, safely protected in a top-20 Furgion galaxy. At the end of the round, I was brought aboard a project to make a new, elite, small alliance along with my roommate and some of his associates. Nemesis resulted, and I stuck with it until I quit PA in mid-late r6. Skipping r7, I came back for r8, and finally made "the leap" to the "big" alliances, by joining RaH. Some will say RaH isn't big, and that is probably true....but it was big-league compared to all my previous alliances. I made this leap because I wanted to give bigger alliances a try, at least once, before PA disappeared forever. I didn't regret leaving any of my r6 friends in Nemesis, because I was still routinely talking to them, and we were still good friends. But having quit PA again, almost as soon as protection was over, I don't know that my "leap" was ever really complete.
Reduco ad Honore [RaH] r8
Obfuscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 23:33   #20
Domin
500k posts

Domin is an unknown quantity at this point
i left nos because about all i knew either had quited pa or left

Also nos weren't to happy with me beeing plush so the best was to leave with no trouble. Most of the people i know still that haven't quitted are plush and lots of fun too

round 2: 54:24:17 FA
round 3: 45:17:20 nos
round 4: 64:18:10 nos
round 5: 32:6:6 nos
round 6: 11:11:7 nos
round 7: 29:23:3 nos
round 8: 22:7:1 nos plush
round 9: 6:6:8 oly
round 13: Dont have roids so dont bother asking
Domin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 23:34   #21

i've started in TFD but they simply werent as dedicated, serious or whatever you wanna call it.
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 00:42   #22
Dragoon

/me grins sheepishly

I'm going to enjoy proving the exception to your rule here, Leto.

My loyalty had always been to the group from the 17th Legion since day one. Through good times or bad, though I suppose such is to be expected from alliance leaders. Thankfully, most of those times were good. The only other time I had my finger in the pie of another alliance was with the Concordium, as many are well aware. Willzzz was already a member, so he got most of us invited by round two for the matter of protection. Some of us were more active in WaC than others. I personally couldnt be bothered to be much more than dead weight with my mind focused already on Legion matters. And in the end, it was apparent to whom all those Legion members were truly loyal to, as well.

So here you have an example of an extremely small alliance using one of the largest and imposing names from early rounds as a springboard for their own success. You dont see much of that lately because I think this game's lost alot of trust between fellow players. Reverting back to your original point with this that players are in it for themselves and themselves alone. I wont deny that Legion "used and abused" Concordium protection for our own gain. It actually makes me chuckle when I think about it. But we had a good group, that worked together for the gain of the group.

Ranting aside, I truly wish the game today had more setups like that as opposed to the quick-to-form Adalente's and MDK's who are convinced they're the solution to winning the next round. But this old man's seen too much to not be convinced the old ways are best.
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 01:06   #23
Zitoz

rrrrrrrrrrr..

take me for example..
i found my alliance "trg" at the end of round two (or some..)
it have hadd the kewlest members ever, and if all of them had staid loyal, not jumpored to the next best thing, then we would have roxored this very day.
we dont, people are like menn.. takes the one with biggest tits.. In this case, Fury and Legion or Xanadu.. (Cryptic, Rids ..when around.. and Zip..)

Considering that theres about 20 girls or some playing pa (erm, porlly some more.. never mind..) the "tits theori" seems to "fitt the clitt.."
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 01:30   #24
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
I left UV at the end of R3 because I knew they couldnt support big planets, and I had a Fury gal offer which I knew would lead onto greater things than UV could provide.

Whats the point in getting big if you cant stay there coz your alliance is to ****?
________
OG KUSH

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 21:03.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 01:39   #25
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough
Only ever 'properly' been part of an alliance once, but left when it started to move away from its original principles. Only real regret from it is losing touch with the other members.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 01:52   #26
Saitam
Tribologist

Saitam is an unknown quantity at this point
Only left one alliance so far, and that was Blue Tuba in round2. Reason so I could be with my friends in a minor alliance...
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 07:19   #27
Doongar

Most of my alliances have been killed out from under me in the past. Hmmm.... maybe that's a symptom of being involved with Plantman and Nova and their creations over the last couple of years.

They were indeed fun while they lasted, however.
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 08:17   #28
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Kileman
Whats the point in getting big if you cant stay there coz your alliance is to ****?
Again, it comes down to the individual player. Some seek personal glory ('to win') others seek nothing more than personal fun (which could be 'to win' or 'keep friends'). It's all about the people.
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 09:51   #29
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
What about players (depending on when they began playing Planetarion) who were secluded in alliance experience? In my case, I was for good or for evil, 'brought up' entirely in the influence of Legion. In all honesty, it was the only alliance I ever knew, the only people I was constantly surrounded by, and the only alliance that was without a doubt 'home' and 'family' to me. I feel that had my account in Round 2 landed say, in a BlueTuba galaxy, or perhaps a BDU galaxy, I could just as easily been with those alliances for as long as they existed.
Do you actually regard it as positive that you were only in legion or would you wish in retrospective that you had also experienced some different alliances, different people, and different styles of play?

My longest stay was in BlueTubas, and while i liked it a lot there, i wouldn't have wanted to miss all those different experiences in the different alliances and with the different people.

Sometimes when i talk to people that have been in the same alliance for almost their entire PA-life I haver the feeling it is exactly this experience that they miss that prevents them from looking at things from a different perspective and showing some understanding for others that dislike the alliance the person has been in all his life.

Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4

I think it's about the people, the players, as you've said Leto. I don't think the competative edge in 'Jonny and Jenny Players want to win' has been lost since Round 1, but that 'Jonny and Jenny Players' were able to be just as, if not more, successful in Rounds 5 through 7 without an alliance as 'Andy and Amanda Players.'

I've heard KR touch on this before, but Andy and Amanda Players have strong ties to their alliances 'above all else.' But those are dwindling. Well, the whole game is dwindling, but you see my point.

I think we all know an 'Andy' and a 'Jonny' and both have their way of playing PA. But statistically, there are more Jonnies in gaming, they want to win. If that means hopping up (or down) to an alliance that is potentially a better contender than their current alliance, they'll do it.

As an Andy, I wouldn't want them in my alliance anyway, for fear they'd ditch me when I needed them most.
There are many more reasons to leave an alliance than just "because i want to win and feel i can only win in a better alliance", most importantly an alliance ceasing to exist.

I started my alliance "career" in TE (stayed only 1 week though, so it's not even listed in my alliances) just as Fury was bashing TE. People were running from TE like rats from a sinking ship and not even the faintest sign of resistance against fury was visible, so i left as well and joined it's ally, WaC (WaCJr actually).

WaC disolved so i had to leave to another alliance, sedition, formed from many ex-WaC members. Sedition folded too so again i needed a new alliance.

When i left SL,SL had been more or less dead (had been dieing allready since before i joined) and i was completely burned out, so it was the choice between leaving SL and leaving PA.

R5 BlueTubas was disolved, so again i needed a new alliance. Got an invite directly to VtS so i decided to give it a try. I left VtS that same round as i just didn't like it that much (it's much more fun to be the underdog that can have fun and fight than to be the winner that can't attack much and doesn't need to do much) and helping create Deus ex Machina sounded a lot more interesting.

I left Deus (and PA) due to being a bit burned out and having a lot of RL stuff.

At the turn to this round i would have almost left rah due to having been offered a position as political advisor, with politics being what i allways liked best in PA (though it worked out differently in the end so i didn't leave.

------------------------------

So in total i left 7 alliances,. and might have left one more time if things had worked out differently, and i left none of those times because i wanted to win. Not all johnnys leave their alliance to win

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 10:01   #30
Salomo
Commodore

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragoon

I wont deny that Legion "used and abused" Concordium protection for our own gain.
i think thats the first time i see an ex-Legion command dude from back then publically admit that on the boards. Back then it was allways said WaC had grown overbloated, the legion people didn't feel at home anymore, etc.

Last edited by Salomo; 6 Nov 2002 at 10:09.
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 10:19   #31
Salomo
Commodore

Quote:
Originally posted by Rumad
Wow where do I start?

I have been part of so many great alliances, but sometimes its more than loyalty. When I first started PA I was very set on how things should be done. At the end of round 3 I had a big argument with the HC and thevision I had with BD wasn’t shared. So I left. It doesn’t mean I didn’t/don’t love them, in fact I have tried to help when I could (lo alliance last round).

Next was Legion. Now this was a special place for me round 4. It’s the only alliance I can say that has truly had the motivation to be bad boys. They wanted to prove so many things and they had so much desire, but for me things changed after the merger. I partly blame myself cause I should never have left at the end of the round, but to everyone who was in round 4 legion you have my love. Round 5 we were the best, but so many different political groups and so many ppl ignored. They were good but not the same spirit as round 4.

Finally there was FAnG. This alliance has the spirit of round 4 legion and so many nice ppl who actually CARE about things. I left because of political reasons and returned because of love. You all might think this is soppy crap, but I guess loyalty Is where the heart is. If you no longer feel your heart is in it then you are best to leave, unhappiness breeds contempt and that’s no good for anyone.
Is my memory playing tricks on me or weren't you also Titans and Deus member and left those alliances (Titans even after getting your will (at least according to your fellow HCs) of breaking up with deus and going back to legion)? Personally i would find your reasons for leaving those much more interesting that those you posted.

Unread 6 Nov 2002, 10:45   #32
Pyrowired
UItjuh's secret lover

Pyrowired is an unknown quantity at this point
in R4 and R5 i ws mainly hopping allong
finaly found a place @ TFD and still lubing the community :-)
TFD isnt as dedicated as the big alliances but has an other talent:
giving dutch newbies a chance to learn how to play the game in a fun way (and eventualy see them go to one of the bigger alliances)
Had the chance to join the "big" ones numerous times but as i play for fun i will stay TFD long after PA dies
R6 22:1 TFD [OuZo]
R7 12:6 TFD [OuZo]
R8 31:6:4 TFD [OuZo]
R9 10:4:9 TFD [OuZo]
R9.5 15:8:7 TFD [OuZo]
Pyrowired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 10:59   #33
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
If OPA were still alive, I would definitely still be with them (member from round 4, HC for round 5/6), but as they "retired", it was time to move on. Round 6/7 with IPC was fun, but i needed a change for round 8 (it being the last and all) so widened my horizons and joined Vision.
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 11:00   #34
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
I got offers to play in bigger alliances but I always refused them. Notably I got offered places in wrath/fury for next round in r3 4 6 and 8 for instance both never bothered to apply for it (not saying I would have made it to their main core either). Also Elysium and Xanadu and a few others I had people asking me for. But actually only offer I considered was in r3 to join a Fury gal in r4 as I was a n00b then and might taken a place in a big alliance.

After seeing the way big alliances play I never even considered joining one anymore. Not that I mean that their members are not nice enough people but their general attitude towards winning and whatever they are willing to to for it is not mine.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 11:15   #35
Dragoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Salomo

i think thats the first time i see an ex-Legion command dude from back then publically admit that on the boards. Back then it was allways said WaC had grown overbloated, the legion people didn't feel at home anymore, etc.
You're misinterpreting what I'm admitting to, I think.

Yes, we split from WaC when the 'ship was sinking' so to speak. Yes, alot of us were there because WaC offered that big name protection. But many misinterpret our "deviousness" surrounding Legion's cutting of all ties with WaC.

I know Willzzz had friends in the original (round one) Concordium, and that his loyalties may have been split to some extent in the beginning. I got the feeling that he had mixed feelings about Legion working independantly from Conc/WaC, but when it comes down to it, Legion was told specificly in r1 that Conc. didnt recognize us as a seperate organization (being a cluster alliance), so we would recieve no special positive or negative treatment. This attitude didnt change in r2, when WaC command were informed that we were still together, little more than a group of close friends quite similar to a battlegroup in today's PA.

The fact of the matter is that WaC's inability to aknowledge us as being a force in PA at all (At the time, the concept seemed pretty distant to us as well) was part of their undoing - with regards to our recruitment from their ranks later on. The only time WaC truly aknowledged Legion's significance was a few weeks before all the turmoil started. I gather that they noticed many of their high ranking members also belonged to this one faction, and they wanted to know more about us; if we would be a threat. Well, it had sure taken them long enough.

Around the same time, we had been tossing around the idea of getting further involved in WaC, to become a WaC "Battlewing" and set an example for the micromanagement scheme they were planning which would supposedly solve their bloating problem. A proposal was drafted, put forth to the command, and a resolution worked out. We were "approved" as a battlewing, something that was as in-name-only as my position as the head of that battlewing. Nothing changed in the alliance structure, no powershifts, just a load of crap formalities.

This is one of the biggest regrets that we've had, and many know it. Why? Well, it makes it impossible to deny that we were connected with WaC formally. Most make this statement assuming that we were formed from WaC ranks, and then pulled a WP/Titans type of split. And thats simply not true. Furthermore, the one change that did occur after these formalities was WaC HC extending their influence. Immediately they wanted to have direct control over what we were doing. The original proposal outlined nothing more than a reprisentative from us (myself) to give regular reports on what we were doing, and to work with WaC in coordinated attacks and defense for increased efficiency. They had changed their minds, it seemed, and we werent happy with that. Especially since WaC were busy beating on already dead alliances, while we were seeking after fresh meat. A common goal which we would later share with Fury.

Shortly after, Apok went on that famous ranting & bitching spree of his, demanding that all ships stand down for several days, and that every member email him planetary status to make sure that fleets were grounded. I liked Apok, but this was an obvious sign of desperate HCs struggling to gain control that had been lost. I was never too bothered by these demands as others were, and I think most Legionaires shared my viewpoint. The fleet grounding didnt go over well with the majoirty of WaC members, however. Players started leaving WaC, most of the rest were grumbling now, and we in Legion command were already grumbling about WaC command trying to run our alliance already.

So after five days, we declared our re-independance from WaC. (Yes, not even a week. ) Many took this opportunity to resign from WaC completely. I personally had been so permanently innactive in WaC throughout the round that I never mailed my status or formally resigned. I was there for the protection. Alliance hopper? No. I had my alliance all along, but they refused to recognize it.

Hope that clears things up. : )
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 11:34   #36
Game

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragoon

-snip-
Cheers for that little bit of information KR. First time ive ever heard the full and correct explaination of what Legion was in Conc times.
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 11:56   #37
L0n3w0lf

L0n3w0lf is an unknown quantity at this point
i changed allainces for lots of reasons, friends moved, other allainces wanted my skills as a player, and some sad cases where the allaince disbands.

ive not regreted it or looked back. and ive never played for myself it has always been for friends and the allainces ive been in.

allaince/rank/how i rated them compared to others and the fun i had

TDF (HC) #8
TSS (member) #12
WaC,YI (member/BC) #1
YI (BC) #5
YI² (fonder/HC) #7
SED (HC) #10
Alternity (fonder/HC) #9
BlueTuba (member) #2
Ni! (co fonder/HC) #4
Deus Ex (member) #3
Fury (member) #11
FAnG (member) #6

Rd2: TDF / TSS / WaC,YI
Rd3: WaC,YI / YI / YI² / SED
Rd4: Alternity / BlueTuba
Rd5: BlueTuba / Ni!
Rd6: Deus Ex
Rd7: Fury
Rd8: FAnG
Rd9: FAnG
Rd9.5: FAnG / Wolfpack
Rd10: Wolfpack
L0n3w0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 12:08   #38
Game

Quote:

i left both after 2 weeks.

Hardly what I would class as alliances of the heart.

And no I never went back to legion.
Its not nice to ignore board PMs ((((
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 12:11   #39
Silva baby
sexy honky chic

Silva baby is an unknown quantity at this point
i would say this
Elysium and the community feel has always owned my heart
ranks high above the small alliances i have been in
LOST, and ND
i don;t kno y

Ex-Silver BC
Forever in Elysium

i have [FAITH] in myself, [FAITH] in my galaxy, and [FAITH] in my alliance
do you?

[FAITH][SILVER]
Silva baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 13:32   #40
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
I was a member of L2k in R3 which later renamed to MI. During my time there I ascended the ranks from member to HC. In the end an alliance like MI while having a good community would never satisfy the needs of players who wanted more.

Staying in such an alliance is nothing but frustating for people who want more. People make different choices about planetarion, if someone chooses to play activly it's only logical he surrounds himself with people who do the same.

It's not a sad thing, its a fact that is common throughout everything in life.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 14:26   #41
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Eol is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

i left both after 2 weeks.

Hardly what I would class as alliances of the heart.

And no I never went back to legion.
He meant changing our allies in the start of round 6.
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 15:59   #42
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Handsome Sailor
#1 : Not staying with ViruS till this day
#2 : As i did leave ViruS -> Not joining Fury in R4.
#3 : Not joining Fury......

Alliance wise CELL & nG were a tragedy to me, but they had the best community ive seen! FAnG ruined what i liked bout nG :/
just wondering, why did FAnG ruin what nG used to be? (not a flame or anything, just curious)

rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 16:06   #43
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
to answer the thread, I haven't regretted a single thing I did in PA regarding alliances. And I've been in alot of them.

Maybe back in r2, when I founded TI (the inferno) but let it merge with Fx9, whichafter I left

But that was basicly beyond my own will ...

One thing that I might have regretted back then but I'm glad I did it nway now is resigning from FA and let hinch fold it. It gave me a chance to rest abit and to start all over with fang

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 6 Nov 2002, 16:10   #44
Domin
500k posts

Domin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kjeldoran
to answer the thread, I haven't regretted a single thing I did in PA regarding alliances. And I've been in alot of them.

Maybe back in r2, when I founded TI (the inferno) but let it merge with Fx9, whichafter I left

But that was basicly beyond my own will ...

One thing that I might have regretted back then but I'm glad I did it nway now is resigning from FA and let hinch fold it. It gave me a chance to rest abit and to start all over with fang

rgds Kj
the way i remembered it TI were started by baron or whatever his name was...

And you went back to FA loooong before TI were merged with Fx9! baron fixed that...

round 2: 54:24:17 FA
round 3: 45:17:20 nos
round 4: 64:18:10 nos
round 5: 32:6:6 nos
round 6: 11:11:7 nos
round 7: 29:23:3 nos
round 8: 22:7:1 nos plush
round 9: 6:6:8 oly
round 13: Dont have roids so dont bother asking
Domin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 16:25   #45
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally posted by Domin

the way i remembered it TI were started by baron or whatever his name was...

And you went back to FA loooong before TI were merged with Fx9! baron fixed that...
The Baron, he's my best RL friend

yes we started it together

the merging with Fx9 was the reason why I left, he quit playing abit later aswell.

and we BOTH founded TI, though we didn't stay together that long

nway it amazes me pple still remember that hehe

rgds Kj

FA Gaming community

Unread 6 Nov 2002, 17:08   #46
Xearz

Xearz is an unknown quantity at this point
I joined IPC in round 3 and although I had quite a few offers from the 'large' alliances I never left IPC.

If I had been playing this game just to endup with a score as high as possible I might have switched alliances at some time but for me the community spirit within IPC has always been more important.

Why does the airforce need new expensive bombers? Have the people we've been bombing all these years been complaining about the old ones?

#ipc-alliance
www.ipc-alliance.com
Xearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 17:23   #47
BLACK_OPPS
Comrade LENIN

BLACK_OPPS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Torz
friends are always friends if they are in your alliance or not. I've moved alliance when I've felt that I've done all I could there or didn't fit in. It is a game and I think it's good to sample every part of it

(my poor excuse for somewhat alliance hopping)
Torz \o/ what would we do with out him
it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.
Herman Goering
BLACK_OPPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 18:42   #48
Tuhan
Enjoying life ...

Tuhan is an unknown quantity at this point
I started with Tokra as a newbie back in R4 and was offered a position as JHC for ACID alliance during R5 which I joined and lead as a HC until near-end R6 where I left to join Olympus, due to being in a heavy TFD + Elysium XeTa galaxy. Not being upgraded to Elysium saw me allianceless and was invited to a Iliad/Wrath galaxy which finally promoted me to the Legion.

I supposed most newbie players at that time were being outgunned, outplayed and bashed to the extent that they want to be in the best alliance just to have a nice round. Most will definitely use smaller alliances as the place to network with the better alliance players. A good example would be that many ACID members (including officers and HCs) went on to take up either peon or officer positions in various big-name alliances like ViruS, Titans, Iliad/Legion, WP and NoS.

I guess even the big alliances need the small alliances to provide fresh faces after each rounds...
R4: 152:6:24 General Arclight of Carida [Tokra]
R5: 23:12:24 Tuhan of Syurga [ACID] - Sinners of Society
R6: 22:10:1 Chairman of I.O. Group of Companies [ACID][Olympus] - Draco Domiens
R7: 30:24:2 Director of Genting Highlands [VtS] - Kriminally Insane
R8 - R9: [Retired][Real Life]
R9.5: 34:3:15 Tuhan of Syurga [BoredOfRL][Fun] - Hidden Paradise
Tuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 03:12   #49
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about
My first round of PA, round 4 I started out an allianceless noob, so started looking for an alliance to join, and joined several noob alliances as a matter of fact, but 2 of them stayed with me, DiG and RoD, in the end DiG merged into RoD. But then start round 5 RoD disbanded. Then out of the ashed of RoD Daywalker and a guy named LewisD, with some old loyal RoD members put up DpM, which is Dominos per Malus (victory threw evil) Well, I stayed with it, soon after DpM was put up I became HC of recruitment, and started bussily recruiting. We became good friends with 4FS (and old para alliance that had stuck together) Then round 6 came, which was mostly spent (besided attacking and defending) planning for round 7, during round 6 DpM and 4FS merged into 4D. Well, round 7 came, and we were ready for it, and start to mid round 7, we were GOOD, but then a decline started to happen. End round 7 we lost both Supreme commanders, Executive Officers and many HC, and thus 3/4rths of our members. But I still stayed with it, and now have the position of Supreme Commander, a position that I concider an honor and a large responcibility, and there are times I look back on round 7 and wish it still was round 7.
Now, the point I'm trying to make here (this is a greatly shortent version of our history) is that smaller alliances can mean just as much as the larger alliances to people, and 4D means everything in PA to me. At many points (/me has some good contactacts, well, used to be a good contact) I could have most likely joined Virus, and Piketa in the end, gave up Fury this round for 4D. Sadly Piketa has left PA for rl now.
Well, I hope I made my point that smaller, but very dedicated alliances can mean a lot to someone, all my PA best m8s have at one point or another been in 4D, most in round 7, but some before that as well. I've seen many good leaders come and go but you need to keep faith in your alliance, or it will die. If you don't believe in it, and don't give it everything you have, especially as HC it will die.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 04:57   #50
Eylisia
Aes Elysium

Eylisia is on a distinguished road
I joined Lost2k about a month or 2 after finding PA,
basically because I was invited to,and figured why not.
I had alot of fun in there,and stayed thru the changes when it became MI.I even stayed in MI for about a month and a half or some such,till I simply couldnt take it anymore.
Then I quit,and was allianceless for about a week.

Ever since I found PA in r2,I kept gravitating towards this channel with such a pretty name,thats ofc Elysium
I got to know a fair few of the people in there,
basically thru speaking to them in the public channel.
(Cabal and Kent,I so miss u guys in the game :/ )
BlueTuba was the other alliance I had the option to join,
and after thinking about it,I decided on Elysium.
After all its the name I made my own as a femme form of way before PA

Ive never regretted joining,and I would never go anywhere else.

Regards,
Eylisia

A Prayer for the Wild at Heart kept in Cages
Eylisia is offline   Reply With Quote