User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 5 Nov 2002, 01:08   #51
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
Pronouce

Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
Fur-jee-on
Say it with me now: Firgin

Again: Firgin

One more time: Firgin
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 01:13   #52
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
No.

Do you say Fer-ee and Lee-gin?

No.

Fur-jee-on.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 01:14   #53
Torz
Up yours

Torz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud of
I call it Furehgin
Torz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 01:22   #54
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Fur-jee-on
I say it this way too. Firgin is just wrong. Plain wrong.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 01:54   #55
Makain
Macintosh Defender

How about: Fur-Geese-on

Fugeeon, although I like Furgin better. It makes it sound like engine, and engines are always good.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 01:58   #56
Obfuscator
Antediluvian

Obfuscator is an unknown quantity at this point
The reason I always thought of it as being pronounced as Fur-juhn is that it is a simple combination of the sounds in the two individual names. Fur from Fury, and juhn from Legion. To be honest, I could never understand why anyone would ever have pronounced it another way. The only concievable alternative to my way of thinking would be fyur-juhn. Just more of my two cents, I guess.
Reduco ad Honore [RaH] r8
Obfuscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 02:33   #57
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Obfuscator
Fur from Fury, and juhn from Legion. To be honest, I could never understand why anyone would ever have pronounced it another way.
Simply put, that very much is the anatomically correct way to pronounce it. The spoken English way, etc.

Yet, at least for myself, it's as much phoenetic as it is symoblic for me. I say "Fur-jee-on" to combine the sounds of "Fuhr-ee" and "Lee-jun" (which I pronounce, in effect, 'incorrectly' due to my west coast accent). I stress the 'jee' in Furgion for personal effect, no other reason in particular.

Maybe it just 'sounds' better that way in my ears. It has a 'ringing' effect of sorts.

Example: frequently I've spoken to Praetorian and we've both used the term Furgion simply to 'get the point across' about whoknowswhat.

Then again, he says "Sk-ow-se" and I say "Sk-oose" whenever we've spoken about Scouse.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 02:41   #58
Obfuscator
Antediluvian

Quote:

Simply put, that very much is the anatomically correct way to pronounce it. The spoken English way, etc.

Yet, at least for myself, it's as much phoenetic as it is symoblic for me. I say "Fur-jee-on" to combine the sounds of "Fuhr-ee" and "Lee-jun" (which I pronounce, in effect, 'incorrectly' due to my west coast accent). I stress the 'jee' in Furgion for personal effect, no other reason in particular.

Maybe it just 'sounds' better that way in my ears. It has a 'ringing' effect of sorts.

Example: frequently I've spoken to Praetorian and we've both used the term Furgion simply to 'get the point across' about whoknowswhat.

Then again, he says "Sk-ow-se" and I say "Sk-oose" whenever we've spoken about Scouse.
hehe. That is very much the way I ended up pronouncing it "fuhr-juhn" to be honest. My RL friends that play PA and I would frequently find it easier to refer to it as Furgion than as FLVT or what have you. We all sort of settled on one pronounciation, and so it stuck for us. This is not to say that we haven't also had pronounciation discussions about people's IRC nicks.

I say toh-may-toh, you say toh-mah-toh ;-)
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 02:53   #59
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Obfuscator
I say toh-may-toh, you say toh-mah-toh ;-)
Exactly.

We all say 'low-kin' except for the nerds, right lokken?
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 02:55   #60
Obfuscator
Antediluvian

Quote:

Exactly.

I know I do
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 03:01   #61
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Quote:
I say 'low-ken' but I guess if I had an American accent then I'd say it your way... I think.

Speaking of Lokken, I'm still not sure how to say 'Haer' - is it 'hayr' or 'hair'? I remember Haer saying it's 'hair', but when you consider that Lokken says it's 'locken'; he can hardly be trusted.

I blame their school.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 03:02   #62
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahriman
I say 'low-ken' but I guess if I had an American accent then I'd say it your way... I think.
There's really no difference between the '-kin' and '-ken' as most people say the name fast anyway.

It's more a difference between 'low-' and 'lock-' :eek:
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 03:06   #63
HobbieRogue4
etc.

FFS, stop editing your post already... that's at least twice now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahriman
Speaking of Lokken, I'm still not sure how to say 'Haer' - is it 'hayr' or 'hair'? I remember Haer saying it's 'hair', but when you consider that Lokken says it's 'locken'; he can hardly be trusted.
Hayr. 'Hay-err' for those who need it phonetically spelled.

'Hair' is one sylable, and looking at 'Haer' I see a split between the a and e as with most words having that combination of lettering.

Quote:
I blame their school.
I blame our collective lack of having anything else to do but debate PA nicknames.*

*It's more fun than anything else I'm doing at the moment though.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 04:23   #64
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Quote:
FFS, stop editing your post already... that's at least twice now.
Just keeping you on your toes

I think I'll be pulling a sickie tomorrow, as I'm clearly going to be in no mood to learn after a mere 4 hrs sleep. Even after I quit PA I still let it affect my education....... *sigh*

and... I'll say 'Hair' for a quiet life. Plus 'Hayr' sounds utterly crap.

Come to think of it I've still not settled on a pronunciation for 'Ahri' - there's a Welsh name 'Ari' that seems to fit the bill (except that in Welsh it's pronounced with a rholling 'r', so use the English pronunciation). I keep feeling that I ought to use the 'h' though. 'Aaree' will do; my apologies for picking such a stupid nick.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 05:33   #65
Makain
Macintosh Defender

In what sort of events do you actually need to pronouce these words? Phone Calls, Lan Parties?

I would prefer to live in my own little world and call everything the way I see it in my mind. I start to get dizzy when I purposely attempt to pronouce all these words in my head.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 05:58   #66
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Makain
In what sort of events do you actually need to pronouce these words?
Personal amusement at the least.

Ahriman: I've always pronounced it 'Ari-man'
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 06:23   #67
Obfuscator
Antediluvian

Quote:
In what sort of events do you actually need to pronouce these words? Phone Calls, Lan Parties?

I would prefer to live in my own little world and call everything the way I see it in my mind. I start to get dizzy when I purposely attempt to pronouce all these words in my head.
There was a time when 5 or more of my RL friends played PA, and my old roommate and I ran an alliance together. We did a LOT of PA-related discussing.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 08:11   #68
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:

That's close to the way I've always believed it to be pronounced. In my North-West-English style of pronunciation it sounds something like "Fair-jee-un", I think

Quote:

"Sk-ow-se" is the correct pronunciation . That's certainly how someone from Liverpool (where 'Scousers' are from) would say it.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 09:36   #69
Dragoon

Quote:

Personal amusement at the least.

Ahriman: I've always pronounced it 'Ari-man'
Ive always thought it from Final Fantasy as well, but perhaps thats just a coincidence.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 14:16   #70
Makain
Macintosh Defender

I see more Wheel of Time references then Final Fantasy references on these boards. Which leads me to think there is bigger PA reader population then a gaming population.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 19:22   #71
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragoon
Ive always thought it from Final Fantasy as well, but perhaps thats just a coincidence.
My nickname has the rather pretentious roots of being the equivalent of Satan in the Zoroastrian religion, adhered to by the people of ancient Babylon.

Quote:
Originally posted by ComradeRob
"Sk-ow-se" is the correct pronunciation . That's certainly how someone from Liverpool (where 'Scousers' are from) would say it.
Ooh yes, actually it hadn't occured to me that anyone would mis-pronounce "Scouse", it's quite amusing to see what a small box my mind lives in.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 23:28   #72
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Were you the Ahriman in 40 - 9 last round?
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 01:21   #73
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Quote:
Were you the Ahriman in 40 - 9 last round?
Nope, though some guy got k-lined off PA net quite a few times when I logged on as I recovered my nick, so I guess that would be him

I was in 11:23.
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 05:24   #74
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Well I thought there was a difference in his personalities. On one side he was a total idiot in PA as he sent ships to attack a gal mate by accident instead of defend which dropped the gal score 6 million (he sent lots of pegasi).

Then there were these well thought out posts on the forums with a clear glean of intelligence.

It vexed me, it did.
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 07:24   #75
Doongar

To call Furgion simply a nickname doesn't do it justice. It was a PA cultural icon in my mind.

Besides, it just rolls off the tongue "Fur-gee-awn"

Nova, Plant and I did make long distance calls to discuss PA as well over the past few rounds.
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 16:36   #76
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by ado

Were now allied to fury / fang / adel / ldk / ely / pack / lost / mdk / cows / virus and G-II and have naps with everyone else. Also proclaim that rumad is the wise man of pa and there are a large group of pigs flying south for the winter.
bah, I think one flying landed in my yard though

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 19:37   #77
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Quote:
Then there were these well thought out posts on the forums with a clear glean of intelligence.
Aren't you a darling
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 21:05   #78
Demented Turnip
Lord of the Roots

Demented Turnip is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Re: Pronouciation

I think Cryptic hacked into Leto's board account...
Quote:
Originally posted by Duke Leto
Cryptic is one of the most confusing enigmatic personalities on these boards.

Unread 7 Nov 2002, 05:14   #79
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Quote:
Originally posted by Doongar

Besides, it just rolls off the tongue "Fur-gee-awn"

Best pronouciation yet. The 'awn' really helps, I think thats the gin, and ion everyone really botched in the name.
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 00:40   #80
Zitoz

Furgion is pronounced difrently by every singel invidual living object walking this very earth.

Furgion is in no way, a more special word, than for example.. ; Gilera (Motorcycle company..)

When I talk about a Gilera, I tend to pronounce Ghi-Leer-a, some would say Gil-er-a (with load on the, a,) then you got those saying Sex-y-bik-e ...

The red line of this post is: Each person puts it, in a very difrent way.
It is a rather good thing, considering discussing it with your friend(s) (... this requiers a rl friend playing pa, rarely found.) you may face a situation where you dont know what the hell your friend is talking about...

A situation as such, often ends up in laughter, makes you live longer, and you will retrive your lost talking time..

So - you end up in zêro, nothing lost, nothing gained..
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 01:01   #81
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Furgion

Quote:
I entered Round 7 in the midst of heavy jargon and bitter aruging in the AD forums. I had heard Furgion had lost Round 6 and everyone was still sort of shocked in the beginning of Round 7 (which probably attributed to the stunning FLTV victory). Now when I went on IRC I often saw more people in #vts and #legion rooms then I saw in #fury. However, I saw a majority in the top 100 galaxies sported a menacing [Fury] tag. So my question here is which alliance proposed Furgion in the beginning and which one contributed to holding it together? I am told Synthetic Sid was a major attribute in organizing the entire venture, but someone else informed it was Legion's numbers that led to its success.
haven't actually read the thread, but if you wanna know how Fury and Legion (forming the heart of furgion, although furgion also was used in a broader sense including their various allies) got together you might wanna take a look in here: http://pirate.planetarion.com/forum/...hreadid=153044

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 04:34   #82
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Re: Re: Furgion

Thanks Zitoz for getting all mature and killing the thread off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Salomo

haven't actually read the thread, but if you wanna know how Fury and Legion (forming the heart of furgion, although furgion also was used in a broader sense including their various allies) got together you might wanna take a look in here: http://pirate.planetarion.com/forum/...hreadid=153044
After reading the blaring white I could only see a vague resemblence to this current thread. Legions' misdeeds I think don't really detract from their participation in Furgion, unless there was another post somewhere down there about Legion's relation with Fury that thread look like a hotbed for a flame war.