User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 7 Feb 2006, 08:44   #1
Dictator2

Dictator2 can only hope to improve
The Future

I think Appoco u should give thought to getting different language version. Especially key ones. At least, Chinese and Spanish. Im sure if u could get skins that just translates the whole thing, you could target a MUCH BROADER and EMERGING market.
Just a thought, while drunk at 4am with 5 waves of ter de
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 09:27   #2
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The Future

Oh I can't wait until lokken gets his hands on you...
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 09:30   #3
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Pple that do not understand the English language at all, will have little to no interest to PA because PA is much more then just the text based game. What would they do on IRC? How on earth would they be able to join an alliance?

Also you'll need to translate the EULA, you need to translate all manuals and basicly anything ever related to PA because otherwise it's better not to even consider starting to if you're only gonna provide them a skin with different language on.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 09:31   #4
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Oh I can't wait until lokken gets his hands on you...
I hear its going to sell out on Pay Per View
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 09:42   #5
HK
Agnus Dei

HK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud ofHK has much to be proud of

kjel the fact that they don't know english doesn't mean they are stupid .. it's all about publicity, geez
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 10:23   #6
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK
kjel the fact that they don't know english doesn't mean they are stupid .. it's all about publicity, geez
Don't put words in my mouth that I never said. I don't get how you make the link to what I posted to me so called claiming I think they're stupid ...

If you DID read my post and actually tried to not assume the worst, you'd have realized that the only point I make is that pple who don't speak English (for whatever reason, I don't expect every human being to understand English) have little or no interest in playing PA because not only the game but the entire community around it, is based on the English language.
An example I gave was that they'd never join a current top alliance because all communication simply happens in English.

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 Feb 2006, 10:29   #7
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
Don't put words in my mouth that I never said. I don't get how you make the link to what I posted to me so called claiming I think they're stupid ...

If you DID read my post and actually tried to not assume the worst, you'd have realized that the only point I make is that pple who don't speak English (for whatever reason, I don't expect every human being to understand English) have little or no interest in playing PA because not only the game but the entire community around it, is based on the English language.
An example I gave was that they'd never join a current top alliance because all communication simply happens in English.
I think an alliance of korean based members would be as dedicated and skilled as any of the current alliances.

On a similar note, I was at a talk from Jagex t'other day about graduate recruitment, and the way they have done things and how successful they are really does put to shame the way PA has been run. Even basic things such as making the game accessible, customer service and translation, PA does not do itself any favours.
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 11:13   #8
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fish
I think an alliance of korean based members would be as dedicated and skilled as any of the current alliances.

On a similar note, I was at a talk from Jagex t'other day about graduate recruitment, and the way they have done things and how successful they are really does put to shame the way PA has been run. Even basic things such as making the game accessible, customer service and translation, PA does not do itself any favours.
Again, like I just said. IF they wanna implement other languages, they need to go all the way and not just stop at a skin. the EULA, the manuals, the boards, ... Even little things like the IRC server, how to sign up to IRC, all these things need to be translated.

And when they do, there will still be a giant obstacle between those that do speak english and those that don't. Because the members of both groups will never mingle, simply because they can't communicate to eachother whatsoever.

So eventhough a pure korean team (of whom none speak english at all) would probably be as skilled as any of us ... nonetheless they'll have absolutely no connection to the community. Basicly it would create language communities ... Do you want that?

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 Feb 2006, 11:25   #9
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Do you want that?
While it's not on the top of my list of things I want, I'm not opposed to it.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 11:29   #10
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
While it's not on the top of my list of things I want, I'm not opposed to it.
I'm not opposed either, but I don't see this working at all? Why? Because it's just simply too late now. With all the efforts the have to put into this to make this work ...

And the endresult will just be that there will be several communities living on a whole different planet, who never communicate. Not because they don't want to, but because they simply can't.

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 Feb 2006, 11:33   #11
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

Where did anything I say relate to anything you said Kj?

And yes, I would like that. Seeing more people join the game is exactly what I want. Having new skilled opposition that would make the game interesting, yes I would also like that.

Maybe it is too late, maybe it wouldnt work. PA's problem is and always has been a lack of effort.
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 11:35   #12
The_Fish
ND

And that is a vast generalisation that no Korean gamer speaks English. How many do you know?

I have only spoke to 1 rl Korean (Grimsby isnt a particularly multicultural place), and altho his English wasn't great, he could still speak and type in it. There would definitely be Koreans that speak English and be able to communicate with current alliances.

Of course, nothing will come of this, nothing ever does of suggestions to increase the memberbase.
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 11:44   #13
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Grimsby isnt a particularly multicultural place
Sorry for the off topic but I had to pos rep the biggest understatement of the year <3

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 12:09   #14
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
And that is a vast generalisation that no Korean gamer speaks English. How many do you know?

I have only spoke to 1 rl Korean (Grimsby isnt a particularly multicultural place), and altho his English wasn't great, he could still speak and type in it. There would definitely be Koreans that speak English and be able to communicate with current alliances.

Of course, nothing will come of this, nothing ever does of suggestions to increase the memberbase.
If he can read english and type english ... then there's no use for an interface in another language. Because if you do that, you have to do it for each language.

I assume that the language issue and request to make it approachable to new players is based on the fact that those pple can absolutely speak not a single word of English (and a large part of the population in those eastern countries don't speak more then 5 words of english, nor do they have a reason to either).

If you approached this thread with the assumption that the language is needed to make it more user friendly (as in, they do understand English but it'd be easier for them to have an interface in their own language) rather then my approach, where the language is needed to attract pple with absolutely no knowledge of the english language whatsoever. If this is the case then I apologize because we simply were discussion 2 entirely different issues.

I hope you understand what I'm getting at. There's a huge difference between:

-Making it more user friendly for pple who only speak very little English, but sufficient to play (be it that it might be harder for them).
-making it approachable for pple without any knowledge of the english language (I do believe large part of the world belongs to that category, even countries like France, Spain, Italy have a big part of their community that don't speak english at all).

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 Feb 2006, 12:21   #15
The_Fish
ND

The 2 issues go hand in hand Kj.

If I could speak French, and there was a French game I liked, I would rather play it in English. It's the same for foreigners. And yeah, you would have to translate everything. And it requires a fair bit of investment, but there is a chance that this investment results in many more dedicated players.

Making it accessible to foreigners who don't speak english and foreigners that do is very very similar. There will be people in those communities who do speak english, and some who do not. They will work together, the people that do speak english will be more involved in the community and politics than people who don't, but essentially they can be the same group, potential consumers.
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 12:22   #16
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say ban all belgians from PA!
Other then that, I don't see the problems with translating. They'll form their own alliances etc. or learn to speak english whatever.
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 12:28   #17
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
The 2 issues go hand in hand Kj.

If I could speak French, and there was a French game I liked, I would rather play it in English. It's the same for foreigners. And yeah, you would have to translate everything. And it requires a fair bit of investment, but there is a chance that this investment results in many more dedicated players.

Making it accessible to foreigners who don't speak english and foreigners that do is very very similar. There will be people in those communities who do speak english, and some who do not. They will work together, the people that do speak english will be more involved in the community and politics than people who don't, but essentially they can be the same group, potential consumers.
True, though in the first case you don't have to translate EVERYTHING, you just need to implement some other GUI's and skins in their language. That along would provide alot of improvement in their playing style.

In Neocron, since FAnG was 90% german, we played on a german server. There was however the option for an english GUI. I chose to use it, while the entire community speaks german. I have the luck to understand (not write) most of the german language. But here those GUI's were made when the game got released, not like 5 years after the game got invented (as would be the case in PA).

I agree that it would all come down to the same thing. Is PA willing to put an effort into this? And, if they would, to what extend? I rather see no effort then a half assed effort which in the end will only annoy more pple.

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 Feb 2006, 12:30   #18
The_Fish
ND

Quote:
I agree that it would all come down to the same thing. Is PA willing to put an effort into this? And, if they would, to what extend? I rather see no effort then a half assed effort which in the end will only annoy more pple.
True enough, and as usual, PA will do it half arsed.
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 12:40   #19
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about

This would be a positive step.
And does kjel argue about stuff just to keep in practice or something?

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 12:51   #20
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoom
I'd say ban all belgians from PA!
Guess i'll go play with myself then

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 12:52   #21
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

I also cant see PA doing this but maybe (as usual), the work can be shifted towards the community. We already have hundreds of players who speak more then one language, i'm sure some would offer their services to translate as best they can!

Like i can help translate a skin into a scally!
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 13:14   #22
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Multinational PA sounds good to me.

Shame there isnt many volunteers to translate things.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 13:18   #23
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace

Like i can help translate a skin into a scally!
Take it ur scouse?

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 13:19   #24
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Get PA in bork bork bork !
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 13:21   #25
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Zyth=-
This would be a positive step.
And does kjel argue about stuff just to keep in practice or something?
I love to argue, but apart from that I do make sence and as you can see in this post, I do contribute. Even if I often just argue for the sake of it

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 Feb 2006, 13:22   #26
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
Guess i'll go play with myself then
Hehe, pple always have issues with the superior race, m8 ... but we know better

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 Feb 2006, 13:33   #27
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hehe, pple always have issues with the superior race, m8 ... but we know better
lets make our own game: BELGIANARION

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 13:51   #28
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Take it ur scouse?
hehe:P
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 17:32   #29
Ali
Subh HC

Ali is a jewel in the roughAli is a jewel in the roughAli is a jewel in the rough

I'll translate it into English!
Unread 7 Feb 2006, 21:24   #30
Felagund
Lost in Translation

Felagund will become famous soon enoughFelagund will become famous soon enough

tbh have diferents languages is not a bad idea, pa in old rounds had a big comunity of spanish ppl and portuguese, r2-r6 were playing around 200 spaniards, we not join netgamers coz we play from hispano network ,just a few of us did,
i think this an opotunity to bring many ppl to pa , there are many spanish and portugues alliances out there trying to find new games, would be much work but will mean make our player base grow, and about irc , there are already channels of other languages in this network.
Unread 8 Feb 2006, 01:46   #31
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I fail to get Kjeldorans age argument. Just because Planetarion is 5 years old already it should not try to revitalize itself with offering new features like supporting several languages? Well, why not just stop planning for the game's future and shut it down mmedately then?
Unread 8 Feb 2006, 02:57   #32
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
lets make our own game: Canadarion
editted for truth
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2006, 03:08   #33
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

what's canada?

Unread 8 Feb 2006, 04:06   #34
Foxtrick

Foxtrick is an unknown quantity at this point

I kinda lost track of the middle of the thread, as it got abit sidetracked.

Personally I see KJ's point that it'd just segment people in a bad communial way. Otherthan that i'd be up for it, if something like that was either overcome or just started a alternative dimension.
Foxtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2006, 11:56   #35
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
I fail to get Kjeldorans age argument. Just because Planetarion is 5 years old already it should not try to revitalize itself with offering new features like supporting several languages? Well, why not just stop planning for the game's future and shut it down mmedately then?
Your biggest skill, so it seems, is to draw posts completely out of their context. Again you managed to do this. What I meant is, if they DID do it when the game was developped, it hardly would be any work.

If they do it now, it'll be a fkload of work and in the end the question remains: "Does PA wanna invest enough effort in doing this AND if they will, will they go all the way or just do a job half done ..."

You assume I don't want to see PA put efforts in this. You assume wrong !!

FA Gaming community

Unread 8 Feb 2006, 14:25   #36
Dictator2

Well, like everything, it doesn't have to be perfect to start with, not does it have to include every language on earth.

My original point was, I think I truly don't remember, that if you market the game (i.e. ads) in the mentioned languages and provide with some literature (i.e. basic descriptions) and provide with language skins (i.e. description of ships, structures, ect within the game) in the target language, then your chances increase for attracting/retaining a players that don't speak english (especially in markets such as Latin America and China).
The idea behind being, that you don't need a master's in english, nor even fluency, to survive on IRC... and like someone mentioned above, we could cultivate a multilanguage universe. Why not? Segmenting the community? Thats bogus! e pluribus unum!
Unread 8 Feb 2006, 14:35   #37
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator2
Well, like everything, it doesn't have to be perfect to start with, not does it have to include every language on earth.

My original point was, I think I truly don't remember, that if you market the game (i.e. ads) in the mentioned languages and provide with some literature (i.e. basic descriptions) and provide with language skins (i.e. description of ships, structures, ect within the game) in the target language, then your chances increase for attracting/retaining a players that don't speak english (especially in markets such as Latin America and China).
The idea behind being, that you don't need a master's in english, nor even fluency, to survive on IRC... and like someone mentioned above, we could cultivate a multilanguage universe. Why not? Segmenting the community? Thats bogus! e pluribus unum!
And who will decide what language to offer and what not? Either you do all or you do none ...

After all, we all pay the same price for this game and we all expect the same equal treatement ...regardless if you got 100 other players from your country or none.

FA Gaming community

Unread 8 Feb 2006, 14:41   #38
Dictator2

KJ, now I think you are being on the defensive... it is STUPID to think we are gonna translate the game to all THOUSANDS different languages they are on the world. I know of single countries that have more than 100 languages spoken within their territories.

It should not be black and white Kj. I think that slowly we could add more languages, mostly on a volunteer-community done basis. One again, the idea was to target sources of players virtually untapped by European/U.S. companies, once again, China and Latin America.
Unread 8 Feb 2006, 16:20   #39
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

There is one aspect of this noone has mentioned yet (if i missed it, i'm sorry). If pa is translated into several other languages and a multilangue thing is implanted into the game, we'll also be required to offer support for thoes ppl not understanding english. This would mean a rather large increase of ppl in the support/mh/pa team, just to deal with this.

There were plans on getting the manual translated into some other languages, some ppl from the community offered todo this. I haven't seen any result of this yet. Any other things getting translated is doubtfull.
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2006, 21:43   #40
The_Fish
ND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus
There is one aspect of this noone has mentioned yet (if i missed it, i'm sorry). If pa is translated into several other languages and a multilangue thing is implanted into the game, we'll also be required to offer support for thoes ppl not understanding english. This would mean a rather large increase of ppl in the support/mh/pa team, just to deal with this.

There were plans on getting the manual translated into some other languages, some ppl from the community offered todo this. I haven't seen any result of this yet. Any other things getting translated is doubtfull.
Like I said, it requires time and investment, but as it's PA, it won't happen.

Other companies are much much better at succeeding than PA.
Unread 8 Feb 2006, 22:23   #41
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget things such as the MOTD would have to be translated daily as well

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2006, 22:33   #42
BlackDog
ND's Honourary Welshman

BlackDog is on a distinguished road

You're a cynical man The_Fish.
The main problem with PA is marketing really. It's on a bit of a downward spiral in the sense that: 1. less people are prepared to p2p 2. Because of lack of players due to p2p, costs from members are approx equal to running the server and paying jolt. 3. Lack of money in this sense means that there's very little marketing at all espeically in the form of banner ads on other gaming websites and so on and so forth.

But getting back to the topic, translating PA into many different languages is an absolutely excellent idea in my opinion. Whilst there may be a shortage of translators, PA is a hugely multicultural game, and is made all the more fun by new players, new alliances and a bigger memberbase. Its obviously not necessary for the members of a non-english (speaking) alliance to speak english, but for HC positions and such like it is obvious that communication skills matter, and thus being able to speak english for the purposes of irc will be a huge advantage for them. Logistically speaking it would be take a while to implement, but i'm pretty sure that PA would reap the rewards from doing it in coming rounds.

Thats my 2 cents on the matter anyway
Unread 8 Feb 2006, 23:06   #43
The_Fish
ND

I didn't start out as a cynical man BD, PA just has made me that way

It's not just about getting it into other languages, once it has been done you need to get into gaming circles of these languages and raise awareness about the game, even offer things such as half price accounts for them, to get them started to play. How many people do we have here who have been playing for over 2 years? I reckon over 75% of current memberbase are long term players. However, PA does not care about getting new loyal dedicated players. They have made no effort, and never will. Thats just the way they are.
Unread 9 Feb 2006, 17:55   #44
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I dont normally find myself typing this but imho alot of what KJ says is right.

The problem I have always had with the idea is that PA isnt a game where the quality of the game is the key sellingt point, infact its ultimatly a very simple and basic game which on its own merits wouldnt hold peoples attention for long. Where PA makes up for this is the community aspect, its the mixing with people, competing against other real people and such like and this is where launguage becomes a real barrier

Now ofc you can take the view that the point of the translations is to make it easier for those whom would play anyway as they know enough english to get by but whom would perfer it in a native language but the problem is once the translation is there it opens the doors for those whom dont speak a word of english and this throws up a whole host of problems such as :-

Galaxies - People need to be able to communicate in galaxies to succeed, in previous rounds ive ended up in galaxies full of norweigens or dutch and 90% of communications in galaxy ended up being in their language which would mean id miss certain info from time to time. I have also had people whom barely speak english in my galaxy and its been a chore to explain simple things to them. Are people with no understanding of english going to be accepted in a galaxy where english is the main language. Theres a chance these people could get bounced around till they land in a galaxy with others like them or inactive galaxies that cant exile them

Alliances - Not being able to speak english discounts you from alot of alliances and will force alot of country based alliances. The problem here is that even the relativly successful country based alliances (TFD, ToT) have only ever really made it to a certain level as their basis limits them a bit, they are basically elite core alliances. And most dont reach that level, most struggle and end up folding. Basically your going to be putting a glass ceiling on the game for these players

Support - Where will they receive support from. The current methods certainly wont work and while maybe the manual could be translated easierly the support offered in addition to this is going to require people fluent in their language to cover all periods of teh day (you cant after all have your Manderin speaking support person whos only on for a 2 hour peiod between 1300 and 1500GMT

Forums and IRC - These two things have a ENGLISH only rule for a simple reason. You need people whom can speak the other languages active at all times to make adding additional launguages viable. Otherwise they could be saying anything and you wouldnt know. As for as the forums are concerned only one threads ever been allowed to ignore the rule and that was the the TFD one and that was only as we had ample Dutch speakers to ensure it stayed in the rules, once these people left the mod team the thread was stopped.

So while the extra members it could attract is appealing theres so many associated problems both from game management pov and community pov that I really dont think its viable, atleast not until those Star Trek Universal Translators are common place
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2006, 14:12   #45
ICEPOC

ICEPOC has a spectacular aura aboutICEPOC has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
what's canada?

This is the second home place of the french.

Or maybe the french origins ?

My suckyness pwns u!!!!!!!
ICEPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2006, 18:49   #46
BlackDog
ND's Honourary Welshman

BlackDog is on a distinguished road

Clearly, PA is in dire need of some babel fish :P
Unread 10 Feb 2006, 21:04   #47
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEPOC
This is the second home place of the french.

Or maybe the french origins ?
I demand an explanation for this comment which I have never ever heard used against canada TIME AFTER TIME AFTER FREAKIN TIME AGAIN.

Thank you.

{btw. Moosetarion maybe?}
Unread 13 Feb 2006, 03:01   #48
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
Multinational PA sounds good to me.

Shame there isnt many volunteers to translate things.
The money for this type of project is not there and the demand for this kind of translation work does not support the cost involved. I doubt this could be done by the PA team without a tremendous community need for translation.

If anything this would have to be done by volunteers. If you speak Mandarin then you could translate for those you know who also speak Mandarin ect.

At most you get PA team to add links to communitity site like the PA wiki with different translations available.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2006, 05:43   #49
Dictator2

slowly, slowly, slowly... why do people suddenly expect to translate to every language out there? You have to balance potential profit Vs expected costs.

But u imagine if we can have by next round, lets say, only 1,000 of China's MILLIONS of players that are just getting online every month?

Whats the excuse, we got no player that speaks mandarin or whatever? The community can not do it for free? O well, bad luck, I am sure Jolt is not willing to "waste" money on PA, and this small community is not able to kicks its addiction.
Unread 15 Feb 2006, 06:44   #50
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Erm... It strikes me as kind of odd that folks are thinking that it's an easy venture.

If you translate everything into said language... all of a sudden you've got:

-All PA-admins and multihunters needing to learn the language.
-All support staff ditto OR get additional support staff who can read said language
-All material including game-play items, manual, graphics will need to be re-formatted or outright translated to include an option for the new language
-Extensive remodelling of skins and the like to accomodate the possibility of a language using more words to say an item that would take less in english.
-Start finding ways to translate certain ship names such as Vsharack, cutlass, etc.

My brain is fried, and thus these are the only ones I can think of right now. I'm sure there's more.

Asking the admins/multihunters to learn a new language to do a volunteer job is a bit unreasonable here. The rest is all just icing on the proverbial cake =/