User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Mar 2009, 11:50   #101
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Keeping new Players / new chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo View Post
xp is based on value not score
Both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
Also, I think we have to remember that PA is from the last century! At the golden days of internet, where internet was still soemthing new and interesting and where communicating with someone, and playing with / against someone ONLINE was the coolest thing in the world.
Isn't it still?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 13:34   #102
Crowly
Orbit HC

Crowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to behold

Not since TiVo.
Crowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 17:05   #103
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I think what Spinner is hinting at here is the old saying: "If you want to make an omelet, you need to break a few eggs." I have to agree. PA has been run a while so that the ones shouting the loudest have been heard, and there has been extreme choices made that have made some happy, but the big group unhappy. The silent people that doesnt write posts on the forums, and the ones that just play more casual have gotten violently ignored the last few years, and that is why the base is as it is now.

I for one would most likely try the new game if they make radical changes, even if it reduces the "playability" for the hardcore gamers.

It's a difficult choice, but I think pissing off a few loudmouthers would be for the best of the game and the development.
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 19:30   #104
Roidless

Roidless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy_Bear View Post
lol you are so wrong on so many levels but lets start with at the top and ill try not to insult you like u did me....
OK, I apologise if it came across as insulting. That wasnt my intention.
It's just that your comments are pretty much exactly what many new players are unhappy about.

Quote:
1: if you have control of the gal, you should be able to exile who u want, exiling ppl so your gal sits on one side of the block or exiling ppl you just dont get on with, this is a tatic that is used not by all players but if you have an active BP its your gal, simple as...
Exactly. So if you are playing football with some kids in the park and decide one of them isnt your friend, you kick them out of the game....

Quote:
4: top gals need active ppl on irc to make the most of the round, having a planet that wont communicate with the gal is dead weight, solo playing wont get you anywhere
I never said anything about solo playing or not communicating at all. I have been active on IRC and used forums and messages to defend and join in, but still been exiled anyway.
I was exiled becuase i cuoldnt do it as often as the ministers wanted. To be fair I was on IRC 3 times a day for 4 days before i got exlied so I dont really see how much more a new player should do.

Quote:
5...... ....but they must come on irc to get this help
which reinforces that IRC is a requirement and not a choice.

Quote:
7: irc IS a requirement for most active gals and ALL active allies get over it...
There's nothing to get over. If the game isnt popular and doesnt attract new players it will either close or go stale.

Quote:
8: the point is, why should we play with ppl who dont want to communicate with the gal?
that sounds quite similar to some of your previous points.

Quote:
9: you obvously dont understand the basics of pa... galaxy defence is key if you want to do well, cross defending ingal is a must, it dont matter what allie or how good you are at this game if your galaxy or alliance gets heavly targeted you need the fleets ingal to stop alot of the incoming as your alliance can not cover you all the time, you need to work as a group ingal
Thats where youre wrong. I do understand the game and understand that the galaxy is a great line of defence when it works together. But this all boils down to the point of new players being forced to play like a pro or be exlied.
Where's the learning curve?

Quote:
11: i will not exile a planet that has shown up on irc and willing to put that little bit of effort in, i will only exile them if they show up then never turn back up or stop playing
Thats good news, as some galaxies exile just about anyone.

Quote:
oh and btw there has been 32 rounds not 30 (round 9.5 and 10.5)
Yea, making that point really helped the conversation without looking like youre trying to score points against a newcomer....

To everyone here, I genuinely apologise if this has come across as moaning or insulting. Its just that in all games there are experienced players and new players. This game, and the way the Pros play, is quite unforgiving on new players.

If ministers couldnt just exile on a whim it would make the whole universe a more balanced place. The whole point of players landing in a random galaxy is to spread everyone around. Its pointless if they can be moved on so easily.

Why cant there be a soluition for n00bs to land somewhere they will be welcome? like 3 levels of galaxy that you can choose to land in (N00b, Experienced, Pro?) If you are daft enough to request a PRO galaxy then you should expect to play like a pro or get exiled as happens now.
The n00b galaxies would be a great place for PRO players to prove they can still win even when in a smaller, less experieced galaxy, plus they get to show people how to play and pass on their knowledge.

Yea, the n00b galaxies would get raped a lot, but there could be additional allowances for planets in them so they dont die out too easily or someting.

I'm learning a lot more in the lower galaxies than i did in the more experienced galaxies, cos im getting attacked a lot and learning how to defend etc.
If i get the hang of it i may come back next round and commit more time to IRC etc.
Roidless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 20:14   #105
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

*Teddy
did we ever agree to count r8 as a round or not?
The winners counting it as one, while the loosers didnt?

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 20:22   #106
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post

however i agree with the big man
and disagree with the other (sorry wish :P)

PA needs a Vision, not just some tweaks here and there
tweaks ruined the game step by step
I believe its possible to have a vision and follow it successfully without altering the gameplay of PA massively. Nothing has been done to try to get PA back on track, no advertising done, no money spent.

Quote:
and bringing in new blood and makin the game less hardcore is absolutely not what will ruin PA
its the other way round, as more and more hardcores leave PA anyhow, beeing it due to RL or other issues, or cause they are simply not willing anymore to invest the time which is needed to do good
I never said it would ruin it, I just said it would change it so much that it would cater for a completely different segment.

( it would ruin it for me I fear, but thats not important here at all, and might aswell be a fking good thing! )
Quote:
the suggested Ajax Chat system sounds good, and is probably much easier to implement then trying to get irc/netgamers closer connected to the game.
a new chat system makes sense and sounds like a very good idea.

( I m ignoring the last part of ur post <3 )

Quote:
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
Unread 16 Mar 2009, 20:24   #107
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roidless View Post

Exactly. So if you are playing football with some kids in the park and decide one of them isnt your friend, you kick them out of the game....

Good example. And yes, if I play football and someone are shit, I ll make sure they are not on my team to make sure my side wins.

Its all about winning.

Quote:
Unread 18 Mar 2009, 07:58   #108
Dworschi
MööööH r0x0r0r

Dworschi is an unknown quantity at this point

@ 1st post

www.mibbit.com

when a widget is created you can connect to irc with insernting nick and pressing connect
quite easy
i dont think some type of ingame chat would be better then irc
alliances will probably use irc anyways even if game does not support it ?
Unread 20 Mar 2009, 13:52   #109
tobyy

tobyy is an unknown quantity at this point

If there was a way for players to do everything they on irc via the in game system it would be great. small alliances could recuit people from in-game and not force them to be irc active. Lots of pople work and cant get on irc. If you spent some time making the in-game systems better for people who dont have irc it would greatly improve the amount of joy they get on of the game.
Atm you mostly need irc to

1. sort out in-galaxy defence (could improve this by adding alliance dc page to galaxy status)

2. send alliance defence (could improve this by adding some kindof ingame defence calling system like the bots on irc but in game

3. talk to friends in galaxy and alliance (could improve this by connecting stright to correct channels when you open the com-unit)

most alliances spend hours every round making there own tools.. smaller alliances dont have so much time, if you gave them good in-game tools they could spend there time helping new people enjoy the game, im sure there would be a few more alliances willing to stay playing if they didnt have to put so much effort into running small alliance for 20-40 people

rant over ;/
tobyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2009, 21:28   #110
puss
ASS HC

puss is a jewel in the roughpuss is a jewel in the roughpuss is a jewel in the roughpuss is a jewel in the rough

here here!!! (to tobyy's post)
Unread 21 Mar 2009, 02:40   #111
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyy View Post
If there was a way for players to do everything they on irc via the in game system it would be great. small alliances could recuit people from in-game and not force them to be irc active. Lots of pople work and cant get on irc. If you spent some time making the in-game systems better for people who dont have irc it would greatly improve the amount of joy they get on of the game.
Atm you mostly need irc to

1. sort out in-galaxy defence (could improve this by adding alliance dc page to galaxy status)

2. send alliance defence (could improve this by adding some kindof ingame defence calling system like the bots on irc but in game

3. talk to friends in galaxy and alliance (could improve this by connecting stright to correct channels when you open the com-unit)

most alliances spend hours every round making there own tools.. smaller alliances dont have so much time, if you gave them good in-game tools they could spend there time helping new people enjoy the game, im sure there would be a few more alliances willing to stay playing if they didnt have to put so much effort into running small alliance for 20-40 people

rant over ;/
absolutely agree

the suggestion in point 2 sounds interesting
but tbh i don´t know how that could work, if there is one call yes, but imagine a dc sendin some sort of instant messages for like 20 calls

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2009, 17:36   #112
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

What you should do it code an in house defence and attack bot, so when galaxy members send defence when not on irc, the bot will update to the alliance on IRC what has been sent and by who.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Mar 2009, 13:13   #113
tobyy

tobyy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
What you should do it code an in house defence and attack bot, so when galaxy members send defence when not on irc, the bot will update to the alliance on IRC what has been sent and by who.
that doesnt help new players who dont have or want irc

will com-unit auto-connect to alliance/galaxy channel next round?
tobyy is offline   Reply With Quote